Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: What do you target when dueling?  (Read 2134 times)
Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 838

Avatar from the DarthScrub's factory

« on: September 20, 2018, 03:19:17 PM »

The discussion on the Mid Grade vs Heavy grade topic is very interesting. In this one, M Resolute spoke about his favorite target zones:

1st being the hand , elbow or knee. )

So, lets start a topic about targets Wink

Obviously, it depends on your own style (you may call it form).

For me, the very first target zone is the head (surely because i come from a Martial Art that use a non lethal weapon and the head is the only target where you can do damages ... Wink )

Then come the chest, the back and the legs.

I almost never target the arms or the hands. For that reason, the distance to my opponent is not big and it is sometimes a major drawback i have to deal with Wink

And you? What are your favorite target? And why?

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

For other free words of wisdom, dial 555-YODA

Master Althalus
Resident Master
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 39

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 03:29:14 PM »

I have no favourite - I attack where my opponent is weak.

Direct attacks only work on sleeping opponents anyhow, so I have to work for my targets or use what my opponent presents.  Wink

Sabers
Emerald: Dark Mantis
Obsidian v4: Shock, Dark Initiate v4, Consular
Obsidian Lite: Aeon v4, Dominix LE v4
Stunt: Apprentice v4, Initiate LE v2, Aeon v4

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 838

Avatar from the DarthScrub's factory

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 03:51:39 PM »

I have no favourite - I attack where my opponent is weak.

Direct attacks only work on sleeping opponents anyhow, so I have to work for my targets or use what my opponent presents.  😉
Not even a target that makes you pleased?? 😛

And of course, targeting a zone needs feints and moves to open the way ...

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

For other free words of wisdom, dial 555-YODA

Master Resolute
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -453

Dark Jedi

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 05:27:51 PM »

All time favorites are in the order above.

As for the one I get the most, the knee. Highest % when I spar. Whether with a weapon or empty hand. And lets face it, everything comes down to %. A great baseball player at bat fails 70% of the time ( on average ). These people are hitting an object moving at crazy speed mind you...

Anyway, Hit an area once or twice real good, and then people will typically over react to that zone, and it opens up the other favorites. No limb or limbs, no combat.

Everything comes down to personal preference. If I know someone's objective is the torso, I play the range game with them so they can never fully reach it. Easier said than done though, most the time in a weapons duel, it's over before it even begins. Doesn't work against superior footwork as well either, but still has its merits. Stops me from getting hit from the " one shot kill "......most of the time. Fencer's get me with that lunge on occasion, liked a coiled snake attack! ( if they miss, I get their knee Smiley )

-- Remember....your Focus determines your Reality. --
-- If you gaze long enough into the Abyss, the Abyss will gaze back into you --

Musashi Padawan
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 174

Warrior Poet

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 07:26:35 PM »

I am with Master A. I only have an affinity for the best target available in a given situation. Targets present themselves in a variety of ways- mostly through observation of an opponent’s weakness OR pressuring an opening with superior spirit/technique.
I know this thread was spawned from another thread, but my response brings to mind a whole other possible thread, the concept of “seeing the mountain”. Musashi writes about it and I’m sure most here are familiar with the concept, it’s defusing one’s vision to see the whole opponent, not just the weapon, hands, feet, head, etc. I have found that when one is actively seeking A target, they tend to overly focus on that target to a fault, opening the door to all sorts of problems.
Of course, if favorite = easy, I have to go with primary sword hand/wrist. It’s the closest target by far, these blades are slippery, most people don’t have a tsuba and if it was a real duel, the fight is over without a hand.

On YouTube
“Perceive that which cannot be seen with the eye." ~ Miyamoto Musashi

Golden Fedora
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 564

The Grey Prophet

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 07:47:43 PM »

I often aim for the elbows and knees because most of my sparring partners overcompensate those areas so a feint to the elbow way overexposes the knee. but when I am going against someone like my brother I like hitting his armpit just because its funny.

"Easy is the path to wisdom for those only not blinded by themselves."

-Broadside

wandering-seeker
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -14

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 09:59:42 PM »

I'm not hugely picky in my targets, whatever my opponent fails to guard I will strike at. But, optimally? I'll target every joint I can reach, or any place where I know there are bones with little to no muscular padding. Objective being to constrain my opponent's mobility through pain.

Master Resolute
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -453

Dark Jedi

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2018, 12:39:50 AM »

Well said from everyone. I was under the impression we were only speaking of our favorite targets and not the techniques behind them or really the ways we get there. . That being said I will leave you with this quote.

Its like a finger pointing away to the moon. Dont concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory.

I Exclusively use the five ways of attack from Jeet Kune Do. Does not matter what art I am in, those are my sure fire methods. For those that don’t know what those are.

Single Direct attack
Hand immobilization attack
Progressive indirect attack
Attack by Combination
Attack by drawing

-- Remember....your Focus determines your Reality. --
-- If you gaze long enough into the Abyss, the Abyss will gaze back into you --

Musashi Padawan
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 174

Warrior Poet

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2018, 01:55:54 AM »

Its like a finger pointing away to the moon. Dont concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory.

Thank you Master R! I will reflect on this carefully. 

On YouTube
“Perceive that which cannot be seen with the eye." ~ Miyamoto Musashi

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: