Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Author Topic: TOR... Disappointment, Realization, and What Matters Most...  (Read 11228 times)
swam
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -61

« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2011, 07:53:08 AM »

this game is kotor 3 and 4,5,6,7,8,9,10, and 11. each single player story is over twice the length of a kotor. you can play the whole story line solo

ewanhuzarmie
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 8

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2011, 08:19:19 AM »

Unfortunately, I don't see this coming to console anytime in the near future. When it comes to cross-platform development, development on all platforms that it will be released needs to start at the same time. Otherwise, there are far too many things that just don't translate cleanly between platforms to start development for a new platform late in the game. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it is improbable that they would begin a port to a new platform this  close to gold status.

wolfmetal45
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -2

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2011, 08:16:06 PM »

I played WoW for about a year, and thank god my subscription ran out.  Looking back I really was kinda addicted over a stupid game because I got caught up in the story of my character.  And like it's been previously said you constantly have to be upgrading a PC you have DEDICATED to gaming to evenhave a decent looking game and little or no lag.

I love Star Wars, I love RPG's, and I love the freedom this game offers and the player interaction...but I really don't think I'll be able to do TOR

Sernpidal 25 ABY
Never Forget

TheChosenOne
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -10

« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2011, 05:58:40 PM »

I really enjoyed TOR, I made it to level 19 as a Jedi Knight on the most recent beta weekend.

I spent about four hours at a time over the three days playing giving me a total of 12 hours of game play. In that I did everything I could to learn how to play (This is my first MMO) I got my lightsaber at level 7 (Which sucked because I couldn't kill anything because everything else was level 10) Then I was level 12 when I was trying to defeat a Sith lord who was level 16! So I went back and did a few more side quests and killed a lot more people. Eventually I destroyed him (Just barely) and Vola! At level 16 I had my own Starship! I started exploring the Galaxy. Went to Tatooine, nothing there. Went to Hoth, nothing there either. Did some space battles, they were very fun and gave you a lot of XP for very little effort.

I will be playing TOR in the future (bring on 15th of December!) and I have read horror stories of people becoming addicted to these games. Some people even dying from not eating, drinking, sleeping! I doubt it's something I'd lose my job, girlfriend, family and friends over though!

It's just a game and I'll be playing it to emerse myself in the Star Wars universe. it isn't a bad thing, like everything in life it needs balance and moderation. I hope to see some of you guys in the game!

Grimfox
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 2

« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2011, 10:08:43 AM »

Wraith, yes you way overpayed for a computer that is not nearly as capable. My current desktop cost me about $500 bucks and ran everything on medium easily. I realize that there are a lot of people that are not capable of creating their own computer which is why Best buy and HP and Dell do so well and overcharge for components and complete systems that really cost half if not less of what they charge for them. I am sorry that caused you to have such issues with TOR. It is a fantastic game and I encourage you to do a little reading, build your own tower, and give it another go.

Methyl Druius
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 3

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2011, 05:51:53 AM »

Sorry to have to be the one to break this to you, but your thousand dollar system is most likely not even running a dedicated graphics card.  (This reminds me of when I played KOTOR I on my Celeron e-Machines PC with integrated graphics way back in the day.  The day I got my first graphics card I was absolutely BLOWN AWAY the game looked so much better!)  Even a sub-$100 card would allow you to play TOR at moderate settings and nice framerates, assuming the rest of your HP's specs are reasonable for that price range.  I replaced the core of my system around 2 years ago with midgrade components and I was able to maintain playable framerates with everything maxed out.

One thing you need to understand is that PC gamers build their own systems.  It's what we do.  You can't play anything decent on a reasonably-priced (i.e. non-XPS/Alienware) laptop; the purpose-built desktop PC is a staple of this entire genre.  Engineers, IT professionals, and computer-savvy gamers love the challenge and opportunity that upgrading and optimizing presents.  And the great thing about setting up your system for an MMO is that you'll more than likely be able to run the game with the same system for at least 4-5 years (or at least until you find a more demanding game that you want to play, whichever comes first).

Console gaming (or trying to game on a laptop) is completely different.  You can't just upgrade your components when the need arises, and console games have to be crippled in order to run on the same hardware for many years in between new console releases.  Sure, it makes grabbing a new game and just PLAYING a little easier, but you pay for that ease by giving up control over your hardware specs (and using the same hardware for several years after it is obsolete).

Ironically, the only thing 'cheapened' by making TOR an MMO (imo at least) is the REDUCED graphical capabilities and requirements of the game to make it playable on a wider range of systems.  Go ahead and compare it to something like Skyrim and you'll see what I mean.  Also, like mentioned earlier in the thread, the main story arc for each character can be played through entirely solo, for a total of 16 separate and unique storylines worth of solo play.  If that's not enough to make up for the MMO setting for you, then I'm not sure what to tell you.  Seems pretty sweet to me though =D

I can definitely relate to the wife and pups thing man; I'm in the same situation there.  What I've found over the years is that playing an MMO (as long as my play time is reasonably constrained) becomes my main social outlet.  Between work and home, us family guys don't get out much, and the subscription fee for an MMO is a small price to pay to be able to have a couple drinks with friends in my own home versus having to go to a pub and pay their exorbitant prices.

I know it's hard to give up on a game you've been looking forward to for so long, but it sounds like you're doing the right thing for your family at this time.  One suggestion I can make though is that you at least look into upgrading the video card on your system.  You may not be able to actually do it right now, but going through the motions of finding out what interface you have available, determining optimal specs for the game, cross-referencing those with a cost-benefit analysis of what is available, maybe contacting a friend who can walk you through the process at some point...it's a good exercise if nothing else, and who knows?  You might find yourself a new passion that could lead to a career path that you hadn't considered.

^^ Sorry for the looong post...and I haven't even been drinking!  Hopefully there's something worthwhile in there and not too many typos...anyways, good luck Darth Wraith; I hope you can find some good employment soon and get back into the game =D

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2011, 03:36:36 PM »

That really was a long post!  Very informative though, thanks Methyl.

Darth Wraith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -187

Founder of The Grey Sith Order

« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2011, 02:06:52 AM »

Sorry to have to be the one to break this to you, but your thousand dollar system is most likely not even running a dedicated graphics card.  (This reminds me of when I played KOTOR I on my Celeron e-Machines PC with integrated graphics way back in the day.  The day I got my first graphics card I was absolutely BLOWN AWAY the game looked so much better!)  Even a sub-$100 card would allow you to play TOR at moderate settings and nice framerates, assuming the rest of your HP's specs are reasonable for that price range.  I replaced the core of my system around 2 years ago with midgrade components and I was able to maintain playable framerates with everything maxed out.

One thing you need to understand is that PC gamers build their own systems.  It's what we do.  You can't play anything decent on a reasonably-priced (i.e. non-XPS/Alienware) laptop; the purpose-built desktop PC is a staple of this entire genre.  Engineers, IT professionals, and computer-savvy gamers love the challenge and opportunity that upgrading and optimizing presents.  And the great thing about setting up your system for an MMO is that you'll more than likely be able to run the game with the same system for at least 4-5 years (or at least until you find a more demanding game that you want to play, whichever comes first).

Console gaming (or trying to game on a laptop) is completely different.  You can't just upgrade your components when the need arises, and console games have to be crippled in order to run on the same hardware for many years in between new console releases.  Sure, it makes grabbing a new game and just PLAYING a little easier, but you pay for that ease by giving up control over your hardware specs (and using the same hardware for several years after it is obsolete).

Ironically, the only thing 'cheapened' by making TOR an MMO (imo at least) is the REDUCED graphical capabilities and requirements of the game to make it playable on a wider range of systems.  Go ahead and compare it to something like Skyrim and you'll see what I mean.  Also, like mentioned earlier in the thread, the main story arc for each character can be played through entirely solo, for a total of 16 separate and unique storylines worth of solo play.  If that's not enough to make up for the MMO setting for you, then I'm not sure what to tell you.  Seems pretty sweet to me though =D

I can definitely relate to the wife and pups thing man; I'm in the same situation there.  What I've found over the years is that playing an MMO (as long as my play time is reasonably constrained) becomes my main social outlet.  Between work and home, us family guys don't get out much, and the subscription fee for an MMO is a small price to pay to be able to have a couple drinks with friends in my own home versus having to go to a pub and pay their exorbitant prices.

I know it's hard to give up on a game you've been looking forward to for so long, but it sounds like you're doing the right thing for your family at this time.  One suggestion I can make though is that you at least look into upgrading the video card on your system.  You may not be able to actually do it right now, but going through the motions of finding out what interface you have available, determining optimal specs for the game, cross-referencing those with a cost-benefit analysis of what is available, maybe contacting a friend who can walk you through the process at some point...it's a good exercise if nothing else, and who knows?  You might find yourself a new passion that could lead to a career path that you hadn't considered.

^^ Sorry for the looong post...and I haven't even been drinking!  Hopefully there's something worthwhile in there and not too many typos...anyways, good luck Darth Wraith; I hope you can find some good employment soon and get back into the game =D

I Mean No Offense By This Next Statement:

However This Is A Great Example of The Difference Between A PC Gamer and The Rest of The World...

PC Gamers Are (Without Question) Far More Illuminated To The Different Components of The PC World (Compatibility, Requirements, and Abilities)... However, I Would Guess That You Have Probably Made The Process of Obtaining This Knowledge "Your All Consuming Thought In Your Off Time" (or At Least A Hard Core Hobby) In The Last 10 to 15 Years... and Where As I Have Played Games For Just As Long (Since The Days of The SNES (Very First System I Ever Had))... I Have Never Dedicated The Amount of Time To It, That Would Enable Me To Know What You Know About PC Gaming... Because In All Honesty, Knowing What Makes A PC Run (Insert Game Here) Has Never Meant That Much To Me... Not When I Can Simply Go Pick Up An XBOX 360 or PS3, and A Game That Has That Respective Label On It... and Put It In And Not Worry About A Thing... Your Way Just Seems Like To Much of A Enormous Pain In The Ass...

As I'm Sure Pretty Much Everyone Here Can Attest... My All Consuming Thought Throughout the Years Has Been... You Guessed!!! It Star Wars Wink... lol  This Is What Has Made Me A Walking Talking Star Wars Encyclopedia  Cheesy lol...

Whenever I Have Found Myself With A Break Between Trying To Help My Family Deal With The Many Challenges of Having A Brother That Has Been Mentally and Physically Challenged His Entire Life...  or Dealing With The MANY MANY MANY Different Issues Dealing With The Members of The Opposite Sex... or Attempting To Find A Job That Will Provide For My Family, and Everyone That Relies On Me For Their Everything...

I Would Engross Myself Into Something Star Wars... Because When I Ignite A Lightsaber (or Do Anything Star Wars Related) It Takes Me Back To When I Was 5 Years Old... and I Didn't Know What It Was To Be Hurt... All I Knew Was That I Was Watching Star Wars... On A TINY Screen Beside My Father... Who Was Always Working, and Never Had Any Time For Me... (But I Digress...)

We All Choose Our Hobbies... Our Passions... Yours Is Obviously PC's and PC Gaming...

Mine Is Star Wars, and All Those Wonderful People That I Love In My Life (and Let Us Never Forget My Little Baby Pups Smiley!!! Maple and Coffee)...

So Very Long Story... Short:

I Have Far Better Things To Do With My Time, Than Figure Out What Graphics Card Does What, and With What RAM, and With What Hardrive... Etc... (WHO CARES...)

I Will Continue To Love My XBOX 360, and PS3 and Study The Glorious Vision That We All Call Star Wars Wink...

I Am the Lord of Shadow!!! Even as I am Enveloped by Darkness... So to Shall I be Embraced by the Light!!!!!

swam
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -61

« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2011, 03:04:09 AM »

wrairh, im with you buddie. I am a die hard pc gamer but know jack diddily about computers. When I got my current machine I called a friend of mine said I have 800 bucks, build me the best pc you can. almost 4 years later the thing is still a beast. If i wanted to I could learn how to build a pc myself, and for my next one I may just for fun. But for most people I say find a friend who knows what they are doing, tell them your budget, and let them go!
I used to own an xbox 360 and a ps3 and a ps2. afer a year of the ps3 and the xbox gathering dust I sold them. Its a personal preference but I love the pc style of playing.

darth tratus
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -241

« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2011, 03:18:05 AM »

Im building a pc soon with my dad!!! It'll be used for gaming.

Methyl Druius
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 3

« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2011, 03:32:11 AM »

I think you're jumping to conclusions a little bit here Darth Wraith - PC gaming isn't this all-consuming topic that you make it out to be.  Like most anything, there is a basic threshold of knowledge that takes some time to accumulate, but after that point it really only takes a couple of hours to be up to speed on all the latest trends (say after a break of 6 months or so).  It's kind of like having a basis of Star Wars lore to refer to versus knowing all of the intricate details of the latest novel.  It is far from my only hobby, and my family certainly gets the majority of my attention outside of working hours.

I guess I just figured that science fiction fans would have an innate technical curiosity, and I might be able to talk you into leveraging this in order to gain a deeper understanding and enjoyment of PC gaming (while perhaps even benefiting your career aspirations)...my apologies if I have offended you.

Darth Wraith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -187

Founder of The Grey Sith Order

« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2011, 03:32:47 AM »

wrairh, im with you buddie. I am a die hard pc gamer but know jack diddily about computers. When I got my current machine I called a friend of mine said I have 800 bucks, build me the best pc you can. almost 4 years later the thing is still a beast. If i wanted to I could learn how to build a pc myself, and for my next one I may just for fun. But for most people I say find a friend who knows what they are doing, tell them your budget, and let them go!
I used to own an xbox 360 and a ps3 and a ps2. afer a year of the ps3 and the xbox gathering dust I sold them. Its a personal preference but I love the pc style of playing.

I Completely Understand and Stand With You As Well My Brother Swam Smiley!!!

and Hey... If I Won The Lottery Tomorrow and Had All The Time In The World To Mess With It Wink!!! I Would Be Calling Your Friend lmao... and Getting Him To Put A Beast Together For Me As Well  Grin!!!

I Can Respect Any One's Point of View and Preferences As Long As They Are Expressed With Respect To Everyone Else's Preferences In The Process... (As You Very Well Did My Brother Swam Smiley and I Thank You For That Smiley )

@ To Methyl Druius:

You and I Obviously Have A Difference of Opinion... and This Is To Be Expected With A Forum of Hundreds of Souls Expressing Themselves...

However... I Can Since A Hint of Hostility In The Air Between Us, and In Respect For These Forums (My Second Home That I Love Dearly)

I Am Going To Request That We Drop This Specific Aspect of This Conversation... So As Not To (The Both of Us) Start A Flame War... In Which We Disgrace Our Hosts and Their Home...

If You Wish To Discuss This With Me Further Methyl... Feel Free To Send Me A PM and I Will Be Happy To Respond To You There...

« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 03:39:44 AM by Darth Wraith » Logged

I Am the Lord of Shadow!!! Even as I am Enveloped by Darkness... So to Shall I be Embraced by the Light!!!!!

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: