Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Long and Short of It  (Read 1804 times)
Master Elwood Graestar
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 550

« on: September 21, 2018, 10:03:44 PM »

This is a good contrast of different handling sabers. Both have some combat application in the flow, but the flourishes have two different mechanics.  In the case of the nagamaki saber(36” UEMg blade- the hilt setups are detailed in the YTube description😁)it spins like a staff, but strikes like a heavy longsword. On the other end, Thorne is a customized Dark Catalyst with a 24” UGMg blade bringing the balance point to the crowned emitter( almost exactly 1/3 of the overall length). He spins almost like an escrima, can strike comfortably and quickly one-handed, but has a long enough hilt to support powerful, two handed strikes- just really, really quick🤙🏻
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYkWzk-pV6Y&amp;feature=share" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"><b>!</b> No longer available</a>

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Passions make life worthwhile and truth more profound.

lightside points if you would!

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2785

Grey Assassin

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 10:42:29 PM »

Looking good there, Master Elwood.  Love the spins with an AS blade!

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 10:45:39 PM »

Another good video from Master Elwood. Really liked the Deep Winter setup you had there. Definitely interesting to see the differences in how the different length hilts/blades moved. For me personally, I like 32" blades (at least on my Apprentice and Initiate), I don't know, but I feel like a 24" would feel too short.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2785

Grey Assassin

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 11:03:35 PM »

Another good video from Master Elwood. Really liked the Deep Winter setup you had there. Definitely interesting to see the differences in how the different length hilts/blades moved. For me personally, I like 32" blades (at least on my Apprentice and Initiate), I don't know, but I feel like a 24" would feel too short.

I've tried 24" blades with spinning and it felt too light and too short so all of my spins felt really awkward and as if I were going to break or throw the saber.

Master Resolute
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -453

Dark Jedi

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2018, 10:52:02 PM »

Nice. Good flow.

I use a staff/QRC setup like that. Long a short. I bet you could pick it up quick.

Speaking of which, how is that QRC training coming?

-- Remember....your Focus determines your Reality. --
-- If you gaze long enough into the Abyss, the Abyss will gaze back into you --

Master Elwood Graestar
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2018, 12:58:30 PM »

Nice. Good flow.

I use a staff/QRC setup like that. Long a short. I bet you could pick it up quick.

Speaking of which, how is that QRC training coming?
Thank you, Master Res🙏🏻😊
QRC got some work in last week, though lately i balanced that setup. I was using a 24/32” blade set, but have switched to matching 24”.  I’ll have to get some footage on that again🤙🏻

Master Elwood Graestar
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2018, 09:11:55 PM »

I've tried 24" blades with spinning and it felt too light and too short so all of my spins felt really awkward and as if I were going to break or throw the saber.
I was there, too- but a balanced 24” setup makes a difference.  And even so, it took a while to get the slow control with it. The hilts that i use for 24” are all short and or light, so it feels much less “hilt-heavy”.  But then, i practice sometimes with a 2’ by 1/2” dowel to work on finesse-ing my fingers and balance. 
I always stress a balanced setup and wielding from that balance point with my students.  Otherwise you end up having to muscle through movements instead of letting the instrument’s momentum guide the movements. Fighting your weapon will only separate you from it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: