Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down
Author Topic: Only Light Can Cast Shadow (A KotOR AU FanFiction) (Part I)  (Read 39711 times)
Lady Revan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1055

I leave my alignment to Fate-whether Light or Dark

« Reply #105 on: November 16, 2018, 09:40:25 AM »

I had wanted to include this and the next part I'm posting together, but it was just barely over the character limit -_-' I'm not sure yet if this chapter will be in 5 posts or in 7. It depends on how long some of the sections end up being...

CHAPTER SIXTEEN: THE MANDALORIAN TRIUMPH (Part 1 of 5 to 7)

Things had changed immensely since the day that Alex, now Malak, had gathered the Knights at the Academy on Dantooine to recruit for the Revanchists. They all understood (or thought that they had understood) what it would mean entering into war… but they were all so green when it had happened. Most of them had only been Knights for a year or so, and they had seen relatively little combat compared to the older and more experienced Knights and Masters.

Now, two years later, so much had changed. Many of them had seen more combat, more suffering, than anyone could have wished to have seen in a lifetime. But it would continue. It would have to continue if there would ever be any hope to an end of it all. It had become quite clear that, without their aid, the Republic armies wouldn’t stand a chance.

However, even with the aid of the Revanchists to the Republic, the Mandalorians continued to gain victory after victory. It seemed as if there were no end to the onslaught of this warrior race and their blight upon the galaxy. It was frightening to think what may happen to sentient life should the Mandalorians emerge victorious from this war…

Opela Moraf was on the training deck of the Infinitum, her silvery blade ignited as she reviewed her forms. It was important to keep at basic training when off the battle field, so as to better hone one’s skills to serve the moments in combat. She’d gotten much better since leaving Dantooine. She had to if she were going to stay alive on the ground. While she’d not had to do much personally in terms of close combat in the war, the possibility always remained.

She breathed deeply, focusing on her footing as she moved the blade of her lightsaber in calculated yet sweeping motions. It was a Djem So form which she was practicing—a useful form for counteracting the oncoming blaster fire she was likely to face if going up against a Mandalorian. The initial encounters with them had proven quite the challenge, since the neo-crusader armor was cast of Mandalorian steel—one of the few materials resistant to the blade of a lightsaber. Luckily, the Republic had managed to get ahold of a set of the neo-crusader shock armor to study after a particularly bloody battle on the planet of Myrkr.

Opela shuddered, thinking of the occurrence. It was a massacre, with over two thousand casualties in a single night. It had been one of the darkest moments for the republic in the war, outside of the planetary destruction witnessed on Serrocco and on Jebble. She had been on Serrocco personally when the attack had begun. It was a dark thought, and it haunted her. It made her realize the extent to which the Mandalorians were willing to go in order to achieve victory.

And yet, even through all of this darkness, there seemed to be light. After all, if it hadn’t been for Myrkr, the Republic might still not know how to effectively counter the Mandalorian neo-crusader armor… Even with great loss, there could be great gain. She only wished that there were more opportunities for alternative.

She was one of the few which Revan had continued to trust leading companies of the Revanchists after the betrayal by former Master Dorjander Kace and the Mandalorian Knights. Opela had known Revan relatively well before the war. After all, they had studied during the same time on Dantooine, and had been knighted together. But in the time since entering the war, she had become… different.

The Jedi who she used to know as Halin was changed… in some ways for the better, but in others for the worse. She’d become secretive and distrusting… even more so since the issue with Kace… but beyond that, she also had been having strange visions that seemed to affect her both mentally and physically, in some instances seeming to cause immense physical pain, as if they were not merely visions, but some sort of dangerous Force bond which had formed with an unknown outside source. It frightened Opela to think that such a thing could even be possible, and she was concerned as a friend for her health… It was something that Revan did not openly discuss, particularly with the newer recruits who had not witnessed it firsthand. From what Opela could decipher, it was an attempt to prevent the others from viewing potential weakness.

But the visions seemed to have stabilized as of late. When they had left from Coruscant the second time, one of Revan’s former Masters, Master Arren Kae, had joined them, agreeing to aid their leader in controlling the visions. Opela did not know anything of their training together, for they did not allow anyone to observe them when the group had still been together, and now that the Revanchists were divided, it would have been impossible to observe either way. Whatever this special training was, it seemed to have been working. It was good to see ‘Revan’ behaving more like Halin again and less like a frightened Iriaz calf cornered by a pack of Kath Hounds.

The companies had shifted again. With the issue of the Mandalorian Knights, Revan had chosen to move the placement of members of the Revanchists. Malak was traveling in Revan’s company again. She seemed to trust him, and be more comfortable in his presence, and rightfully so. After all, the two of them had always been quite close during their training on Dantooine, and it had been Malak who had helped Revan through the strange visions before Master Kae had joined them.

Opela wondered, however, if Revan comprehended why Malak behaved as he did. Being quite sensitive to the bonds between herself and others, Opela had noticed for some time that there was something unique about the bond which Revan and Malak shared with one another. It was more than mere friendship, it seemed, and she saw only far too clearly how Malak took this. The way he looked at Revan was with a sort of adoration that was much more than mere friendship. Opela had coaxed him into admitting himself these feelings to her that he had for their mutual friend.

Malak had always been a nice fellow during their time at the Academy, albeit rather reserved. He’d struggled internally for a long time to come to terms with his own feelings on the matter. Opela had watched him work through discovering it and had given him some advice on the matter in how he might approach the then Halin… but it had seemed he still hadn’t been able to outright say it. Granted, with the war raging on, there were far more important matters immediately at hand, but perhaps this shift in positioning would allow him a second chance at his attempts… Even if the Jedi weren’t supposed to form emotional attachments, it was important for him to have the opportunity to admit them, lest the internal struggle of having them remain hidden eat away at him and at his restraint.

Opela sighed at the thought and deactivated her lightsaber. She considered both of them as friends to her and didn’t want to see either hurt by a misunderstanding… The longer that the situation was put off for, the more it would intensify the more potential existed for something to go horribly wrong between the two of them. The sooner that Malak came out with it, or that Revan picked up on his feelings, the sooner it would be that the two of them might find peace,

><><><><><

My Sabers: I'mma make a link eventually. list doesn't fit in sig any more Sad

Author of: Only Light Can Cast Shadow A pre-KotOR Fem!Revan Fic

Twisted Morality (Part III of "Only Light Can Cast Shadow")

I leave my alignment to fate--Light or Dark

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

« Reply #106 on: November 16, 2018, 09:53:48 AM »

CHAPTER SIXTEEN: THE MANDALORIAN TRIUMPH (Part 2 of 5 to 7)

><><><><><

Beneath the mask, a grin spread across Revan’s face as she stood back to back with Malak, the blue and purple blades of their sabers drawn. Surrounding them was a combination of sentry droids and Argazdan Myrialites, vibroblades drawn and weapons primed to fire. They were on Lorrd II, one of the moons of the Lorrd system, located within the Kanz sector. While located in the Outer Rim, the area itself had been so far unaffected by the Mandalorians in the war. The Kanz sector had its own set of disputes presently. The neighboring Argazdans had invaded the Lorrd system and had enslaved the Lorrdians, taking over everything.

While there had been motions in the senate for some time pushing to completely outlaw slavery within the Galactic Republic, the slave trade was still very much alive and thriving. Even beyond slave trade run by the Exchange, slavers such as the Crucible and certain branches of the Czerka Corporation were quite powerful and held much sway in the Galactic Senate, so much so that it was unlikely that the issue would be resolved for a very long time yet.

Malak had wondered, when Revan had brought them here, what their purpose was for visiting Lorrd. She’d been rather evasive about discussing the matter, but he couldn’t imagine that she would risk coming out like this in an area of civil unrest, provoking the powers in charge simply on a whim. There had to be some sort of explanation for the seemingly irrational decision. He dared not question her—he knew her well enough to know better than that—but it didn’t stop his wondering.

While he was glad to be by her side again, the circumstances were rather odd. She’d not told her brother Talon, the Commander of the unit of troops they were accompanying, the reasoning for Lorrd either… In fact, when he had questioned it, insisting as commanding officer that she tell him or he could not approve, she’d used the Force to influence his mind, convincing him to allow them to go regardless. Malak didn’t approve of this tactic of hers. He’d seen her do it once before to Telettoh, the Republic Captain who had been their liaison with the Mercy Corps.

What bothered him the most about it on both occurrences was that the trick hadn’t been on an enemy, but, rather, on an ally, and he couldn’t help but to wonder if she’d ever done the same to him…. But surely that wasn’t possible. After all, Malak was trained as a Jedi Knight, and his mind was conditioned against such simple tricks…

Their opponents lunged forward, and the pair assumed matching Soresu forms, keeping their backs together. Their blades swung, creating a barrier and keeping distance between them and their opponents.

“This is just like that time Master Lestin and Master Sana sent us to Thiulara and we got ambushed by that band of pirates while we were looking for their chieftain’s lost daughter…” Revan laughed, “except that they didn’t have so many droids.” As she was saying his, her blade cut through one of the machines which had adventured a little too close to the pair of Jedi while attacking.

Malak forced a laugh in reply. He didn’t completely understand how she could be so jovial while they were surrounded, but he did admit that it felt good to be fighting alongside one another again. His own blade disarmed one of the Agazdans with a downward motion before moving in an upward sweep and taking out another droid, the motion ending high above his head as he poised himself for another downward strike. His height gave him a power advantage when striking from above.

Revan switched the hilt of her blade to one hand, extending her free hand toward the mass. A purplish-blue static electricity sprung forth from her fingers, disabling the nearby droids in her view, many of which sputtered to the ground with a small crash, clearly beyond recovery without any serious repairs. The two were making good progress, despite the fact that they were very clearly outnumbered. Eventually, the droids were defeated, and the remaining Agazdans retreated.

Revan and Malak deactivated their sabers, each of them panting from the recent skirmish. Stepping over a pile of broken droid pieces, Revan entered what appeared to be the entrance to some sort of a mine. She motioned for him to follow her. “This way,” she said. “It can’t be far from here…”

“What can’t be far from here?” he asked. “You still haven’t told me why we came here in the first place…”

She turned back to him, reaching up and placing a single finger upon his lips. “Patience, my apprentice,” she said cockily. “All things in due time.”

He laughed in spite of himself when she removed her finger and turned back to the mine entrance. “You sound like Master Vandar,” he said, recalling the little green Jedi Master’s odd manner of speaking.

“Really?” she said, glancing back over her shoulder at him. “I was going for Master Vrook. I suppose I didn’t sound cranky enough to pull it off though…” And she turned back around.

“You’re really not going to tell me then?”

“Just trust me…. I had a vision—”

Malak’s face grew pale and he stopped. Sensing his distress, she turned her full body to face him. “What’s wrong?”

“The visions… I thought they had stopped… You sent Master Kae away with another company…”

“Arren is of no concern to you. An old friend of hers from Echani entered his troops into the war on behalf of the Republic, and it only seemed natural that she should go with them. I was happy to grant her request for change. She and I both agree that the visions will no longer be an issue. I assure you that I am fully in control of them now.”

“But the Voice,” he began to protest.

“I haven’t heard the Voice in months,” she shrugged. ”I’ve figured out how to block it. There’s no need to be so worried about me, Malak. It’s unbecoming of you.”

She turned away again and he could feel his cheeks reddening. He tried not to allow her insult of his emotions to get the better of him. “I don’t know,” he said, shaking his head, but following her anyway. “I’ve got a bad feeling about this.”

“Relax. Don’t you trust me?”

He hesitated. “Of course I do.”

“Then why do you hesitate?”

“Halin…”

“Not Halin. Revan,” she corrected him, remaining surprisingly unfazed by his slip. Her attention was more focused elsewhere as they entered the mine.

He sighed. “Is it so wrong to worry about you?”

“It is when there are more important things to be focusing your attention on. This isn’t the Academy, Malak. Distractions like that can get you killed out here… Now, watch for mining charges. We don’t want to accidentally set any off if they happen to be active.”

He gave up arguing the point any further and focused his attention toward detecting charges as she had ordered him. Perhaps now wasn’t the time after all… but he did wish that she would at least tell him when they were doing here.

Eventually, they came upon a large group of slaves, working a section of the mines. The group seemed startled by the presence of the Jedi, but none of them made any sort of noise—only a series of facial expressions and odd body gestures.

“What are they doing?” Malak asked as he regarded the odd humans in the tunnel with them.

“They’re trying to communicate with us,” Revan replied. “I remember reading on Coruscant about the Lorrdians… or more specifically, about the Sisterhood of the Glorious Radiance….”

“The what?” he asked, even more confused than before.

“Shhh….” She hushed him, and she brought her fingers to her temples and closed her eyes beneath the visor of the mask, concentrating her thoughts on the group of frightened Lorrdian slaves which surrounded them.

‘You need not fear,’ she told them with her thoughts. ‘We mean you no harm. The Agazdans have fled. They’ve abandoned a ship on the north-west side of the pits. Take it. You are free to leave. Goddess will protect you.’

The Lorrdians looked among themselves in disbelief before bowing many times in reverence and in thanks and then fleeing the mine. Once they had cleared out, Revan approached the wall and began running her hand along it as if she were looking for something.

“Are you going to tell me now what this ‘Sisterhood of the Glorious Radiance’ is?” Malak asked as he watched her work her way along the wall.

“It’s a religious monastic order of Vianism religion that worships the goddess Via… As it turns out, this ‘Glorious Radiance’ of their bears many similarities to what the Jedi know as the Force,” she replied. “Their followers generally wear long robes and masks to cover the scriptures which they’ve tattooed onto their bodies… They came to Lorrd II a few years ago to spread their teachings among the Lorrdians after the Agazdan Myrialites banned their teachings on the other Agazdan worlds… I figured I would blend enough that they wouldn’t question me…. You see, the Agazdan slavers don’t allow the Lorrdians to speak to one another, on punishment of death, so with the Sisterhood’s help, they’ve developed a sort of non-verbal ‘kinetic’ language…”

“As fascinating as all of that is, it still doesn’t explain why we are here…”

“Well, freeing slaves is good face for the Revanchists among both the Order and the Republic. But I’ll admit, while it’s a happy side-effect, this was not my primary intention in coming here… We are here for something I’d only heard rumors of…. I didn’t think it was real until I saw it for myself in the vision…”

It was at this point that her hand stopped. She reached out with her remaining hand, pulling to her one of the discarded mining tools and carefully working at something in the wall before if broke off into her hands.

“Catch,” she said, tossing the thing back to Malak. He caught it and turned it over in his hand. It was a lavender crystal of some sort.

“What is it?” he asked.

“A Lorrdian gemstone,” she replied, continuing her search along the wall for more. “When the Sisterhood taught the Lorrdians to use kinetic language, some of the Force-sensitive Lorrdians unwittingly imbued the gems they were mining with similar abilities. Supposedly if one were to use the gems in a lightsaber, they would be able to better read the actions of their opponent… This is all just speculation though. No one’s tested it out for sure…”

“So we came all of this way for a crystal that might have some sort of special attribute to help read an opponent?” Malak couldn’t believe what he was hearing. A war was raging on and she had dragged him out here to the very edges of the Tingel Arm to go gem hunting for crystals that might not even have the abilities they were rumored to!?

“No,” she replied plainly, continuing her search, “we came here because my vision said that we should. The crystals will work—trust me on that much. And with the stunt Kace pulled, we need all the positive reputation we can build…. Think of it as campaigning advertisements with an incentive backing.”

Malak simply shook his head. “Has anyone ever told you that you think too much like a politician? It’s a little scary, actually…”

“I frighten you now, do I?”

“I never said that…”

“You implied it,” she retorted.

“Look… I’m just not convinced it was the greatest idea for us to come all the way out here for this. There must be more important things we could be focusing on right now…”

“You could at least give me a hand, you know… There’s enough here that we can take a few of them… It will be good to have several just in case…”

“I suppose it would be useful for each of the Revanchists to include in their sabers,” he said thoughtfully. It would surely bring a tactical advantage, after all—if they were to work.”

“Not all of them,” she said flatly. “We still don’t know who else might betray us in the way that Dorjander Kace and his former students did, and we cannot risk that. They are to be distributed with the utmost discretion… I can count on you to not speak of this to any of the others, can’t I?”

“You know I’m more than willing to keep secrets for you, Rev… but I still don’t like this.”

“I never said you had to.” She stopped again, having located another crystal. “Now,” she continued, “are you going to help me or not?”

“I suppose I don’t have much choice, do I?”

“You do have a choice… but it’s rather unfair to let the lady do all of the work here, don’t you think?”

Malak rolled his eyes and walked over to help her. He knew he wouldn’t hear the end of it if he didn’t. “Fine, fine… As you wish, Master,” he said, bowing mockingly. Suddenly, he felt some invisible Force knock him off of his feet, causing him to land on his backside.

“Now, now, my Apprentice, you mustn’t be so clumsy,” Revan laughed.

“Hey! What was that for?” he protested.

“For being a nerf-herder,” she replied. “Now hurry up. I want to be able to head back before sunset. The sooner we finish, the sooner we can get back to the front lines. Talon is going to have a fit…”

“Why did you trick him? He’s your brother.”

“He was being rather frustratingly uncooperative. It was for the better. He’ll get over it eventually….”

“You disobeyed your commanding officer…”

“Talon knows he doesn’t command me. Those are only titles. Formalities…”

“And if word gets out to higher powers?”

“It won’t. Trust me on this. I know what I’m doing…”

“That’s what I’m afraid of,” he muttered, and he got up to help her in the search for the Lorrdian gemstones.

><><><><><

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #107 on: November 16, 2018, 05:26:43 AM »

" but some sort of dangerous Force bond which had formed with an unknown outside source."
Or an inside force...but not of the same Time perhaps - 4th dimensional thinking hmm....
Revan knows what she's doing...and seems willing to impose that desire on everyone...mind trick on her brother - Malak is right to worry...if she'd done it to him would he even know...that could do your head in.  But they are getting into dangerous territory if the Republic relies upon the Revanchists aid and their leader is so convinced of her own various purpsoes and goals and keeping them from arguably her most trusted apprentice....

And the gemstones...hmm the kinetic learning would be useful enough...but could that function be expanded..enhanced...to predict actions based not just on kinetics but on emotions...positioning of hundreds of soldiers or millions...applied to the whole Mando'ae war effort  -it would require tremendous power... or more simply 'planted' near enemy commanders...

Side note...Revan should be careful not to start playing with Force Goddesses...or they might start playing with Her!

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

« Reply #108 on: November 16, 2018, 05:42:28 PM »

" but some sort of dangerous Force bond which had formed with an unknown outside source."
Or an inside force...but not of the same Time perhaps - 4th dimensional thinking hmm....
Revan knows what she's doing...and seems willing to impose that desire on everyone...mind trick on her brother - Malak is right to worry...if she'd done it to him would he even know...that could do your head in.  But they are getting into dangerous territory if the Republic relies upon the Revanchists aid and their leader is so convinced of her own various purpsoes and goals and keeping them from arguably her most trusted apprentice....

And the gemstones...hmm the kinetic learning would be useful enough...but could that function be expanded..enhanced...to predict actions based not just on kinetics but on emotions...positioning of hundreds of soldiers or millions...applied to the whole Mando'ae war effort  -it would require tremendous power... or more simply 'planted' near enemy commanders...

Side note...Revan should be careful not to start playing with Force Goddesses...or they might start playing with Her!

Possibilities, possibilities Wink

I will tell you that as far as I am aware, she's never mind tricked Malak. Sadly I can't tell him that. He's just gonna have to take her word for it if he asks... In regard to the Republic though, you're completely right. Revan's intentions are good enough... but keeping those around her in the dark might end up as messy business... Particularly if someone less close confronts her about it... I think Malak can convince her to share with him at least. After all, trust can't be betrayed if it never existed to begin with...

The Lorrdian gemstones are mentioned in canon, but there's not much information about them (what I've given so far is pretty much the entirety of it). I'm looking forward to working with the concept and seeing how it plays out. The idea you pose is an interesting one. Like I said, the gem stones are canon material, not mine, so explore however you see fit, should you feel so inclined.

And yeah.... Luckily for her she was only posing as a nun and not Via herself. Force Goddesses aren't something I think anyone would want to mess with...

On another note, I must correct myself in the second part I posted. It should say "Eshan" and not "Echani." Echani is the race, Eshan is the planet... The dialogue should read as follows:

“Arren is of no concern to you. An old friend of hers from Eshan entered his troops into the war on behalf of the Republic, and it only seemed natural that she should go with them. I was happy to grant her request for change. She and I both agree that the visions will no longer be an issue. I assure you that I am fully in control of them now.”

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

« Reply #109 on: November 20, 2018, 01:58:50 AM »

I had intended for these sections to be longer, but in light of current events in the real world, I found it rather difficult to bring myself to the place required for Eres III and the events surrounding it. Perhaps in a rewrite there will be more, but for now this is as far as I dare go. On that note, I would like to dedicate this section in memory of those killed and missing in the current wildfires in California, and to those who are currently threatened by its ongoing wrath.

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Sections in Mandalorian were translated using the Coruscant Translator at MyRPG.org

CHAPTER SIXTEEN: THE MANDALORIAN TRIUMPH (Part 3 of 5, possibly 4)

><><><><><

The holo image stood tall and proud, but while it was the very likeness of him, the blue transparent figure could not do the true splendor of Mandalore the Ultimate any justice. Though it could not be seen beneath his mask and armor, he was of the species Taung, and stood above average in height, even among those of his own race, though the holo projection did him no justice in that department. A war-tattered cape hung over the gleaming metal of his armor and his stance was wide and proud. He was quite an impressive figure to behold.

Regarding the holo image of the Mandalore was his right-hand man, Cassus Fett. Cassus was a human Mandalorian, but no less deadly for it. He’d been the one to lead many of the Mandalorian’s greatest victories during the war and the events leading up to it, including the Massacre on Cathar and the destruction of Jebble and the Rakghouls. With the loss of Jebble, however, some of the plans which he had helped to formulate for the Mandalorian conquests had been foiled. Jebble and the troops they had amassed there would have put them into position for an invasion on Alderaan. But plans changed. They adapted to fit circumstance and grew stronger. It was the Mandalorian way of life. Adaptation was survival. Without it, you wouldn’t live to see the next battle.

The two Mandalorians had been working on re-strategizing their conquest of the Galactic Republic. They need to work their way inward, toward the Core worlds. Once they reached the Core worlds, if they could take Coruscant, the Republic’s capital planet, they would be triumphant. And so it was this plan which the two were calling to discuss—The Mandalorian Triumph!

“Cuyir dajun tsikador at o'aryihida lo nari?” Mandalore asked. Is the plan ready to set into action?

“Cuun asalr cuyir nari lo naritir asas mhi jorhaa'ir.” Cassus replied. Our troops are moving into place as we speak.

“Ori'jate,” Mandalore said, nodding in approval. Excellent.

It was a two-pronged offensive push inward deeper into Republic space, toward the Core Worlds. The Republic would be forced to divide their forces in order to try to stop them, causing the strength of their armies to be weakened. Once they made their way inward, the Mandalorians would be in a better position to try to take Coruscant. When Coruscant was captured, there would be no resistance left from the pathetic Republic, and they would be forced to concede the war to the Mandalorians. The galaxy would belong to Mandalore and a new age would begin!

><><><><><

“Everyone move!” Jedi Lieutenant Opela Moraf said, the silver of her blade moving in a flurry to deflect oncoming blaster fire as several Republic soldiers moved behind her. The Mandalorians were pushing inward again. The battalion that Opela was with had been close enough to manage to intercept them in their attempt to take Eres III, but things were not looking good at all, planet-side. They had not been expecting the attack, and so the troops gathered were rather last minute.

Their numbers and supplies were significantly lower than they would have been if there had been time to prepare the attack… but there were other battles going on in other parts of the galaxy as well. Additional support had to be divided to account for the multiple fronts. Other than Eres II, Sy Myrth was also under attack, and Sy Myrth was an important factory world. All that there was on Eres was Xoxin… Xoxin gas… Fields upon fields of Xoxin…

Xoxin was a natural substance, and harmless to inhale in its regular state. The plant life on Eres III thrived upon the Xoxin that came up from the Xoxin plains. However, the main problem with Xoxin was its flammability. If harnessed properly, Xoxin could be used as an excellent fuel source for a number of different varieties of ships and machinery… but the problem with Xoxin was its instability. The substance was highly flammable. It was the flammability which had resulted in the current dilemma the planet-side troops were facing on Eres III.

The Mandalorians had managed to turn the Xoxin into a weapon against the Republic. Many Mandalorian warriors carried with them flame throwers and had jet packs as a part of their armor. Whether the first instance was purposeful or by mere chance was entirely up to speculation from the Republic’s standpoint. They had no way of understanding the Mandalorians’ lust for battle.

It was mid-way into the battle when the first of the Xoxin fields was set ablaze. It had caught the Republic off guard, and they had been forced to hastily retreat from the area. There was no time for evacuations of the few settlements along the field. Civilian homes burned. Screams of agony echoed through the air as huge, billowing black clouds of smoke rose through the sky, which had turned to an orange glow, tinged with the light from the pyres…

Opela Moraf gritted her teeth, clutching at her breast with one hand while the other continued to work with her saber to deflect the oncoming fire as they made their retreat. She could feel them. She could feel their pain, their anguished deaths as they burned alive, victims of the very thing they had lived by peacefully for so long… and there was nothing she could do. She had a responsibility to the battalion. There was no time. She was to guide the soldiers to safety… and that was all she could do. To trade their lives for those of the citizens of Eres III.

After the first of the Xoxin fields had been set ablaze, it was not long before the others followed. It was a losing battle that they were fighting. All that they could hope for would be that their retreat would cause the Mandalorians to cease the havoc they were reigning upon the planet.

Death after death… she could feel them. She could feel them all. They were gradual, as the fires spread with no safe ground to make it to. Ona after another after another, over and over… Each one was like a small blow she felt in the Force. This planet… this planet’s presence in the Force felt fractured, and the fracture was slowly growing, increasing until the whole thing crumbled away into nothing but a pile of ash and rubble.

They were choking. They were choking on the smoke and the ash and the soot of the homes and corpses of the Eresians. Soon, there would be nothing left, but a blazing inferno of uninhabitable rock and an atmosphere of toxic fumes. It was either save the unit or let everyone perish attempting to save the civilians. It was Serroco all over again.

><><><><><

The multiple fronts continued, with the Republic’s forces divided, desperately attempting to decipher the Mandalorians seemingly random pattern of attacks. The fronts had some distance from one another and allocating the necessary troops and resources had become quite the task. At one point, the Mandalorians’ path of conquest even took a turn through Hutt Space, which had caused a great deal of difficulty and confusion for the Republic strategists.

The only thing that they could tell for certain was that the Mandalorians were pushing inward toward the core worlds. Fortifications around Coruscant and other important core worlds had already begun. The Republic had decided that they could not risk leaving these worlds open to attack as the Mandalorians pushed inward. They would need so focus on one front at a time. Those companies not fortifying the core worlds would need to focus on only one of the seeming predictions for the Mandalorian course of offensive. They didn’t have the numbers to take on both sides without risking leaving the core world vulnerable.

It was at Randon, a large business planet, that the Republic finally succeeded in halting the push of one of the Mandalorian offensive fronts. The effort had taken time though. And during the time it had taken, the second Mandalorian front continued to push core-ward with little resistance other than local planetary defenses. The second front had made it as far as the Colonies now, attacking Azure, then Contruum, followed by Gizer, Nazzri, Vena, Ambria, Zel, Commenor…

The path was still unclear. The Republic commanders had expected the Mandalorians to turn toward Alderaan after the Zel system, but Commenor had caught them off guard. Their next guess was either that the move was a feint, and that they would turn back again toward Alderaan, or that they would head for the nearby Kuat next…

Strategies and patterns of attack were re-formulated. It was important to stop Mandalore’s army before they reached Coruscant, or the Republic was lost. The threat which they had ignored in the Outer Rim Territories for a decade before was finally knocking on their front doorstep and threatening entry. No one had expected it to come this far… And no one was certain any longer as to what the final outcome would be.

><><><><><

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

« Reply #110 on: November 20, 2018, 05:04:25 PM »

CHAPTER SIXTEEN: THE MANDALORIAN TRIUMPH (Part 4 of 5)

><><><><><

It was one of the first large-scale meetings of the Revanchists in some time. In a way, it reminded Revan of the times when she had previously had an audience in the Grand Council Chamber on Coruscant. All of the members were not together in person. They were connected via holo transmission from their various unit locations. Their numbers had decreased again, not just with the betrayal of Kace and the Mandalorian Knights, but also because some had been lost in battle to the Mandalorians. Sixteen had become twelve, and then nine. They were growing scarcer, and yet the Republic’s need for them had only increased with the time.

Malak stood at Revan’s side aboard the Nemesis during the Revanchists call. Also in the call were Master Arren Kae aboard the Echani vessel the Bastion with General Yusanis’ fleet, Opela Moraf aboard the Infinitum, Ferroh aboard the Divine Intervention, the Iridonians Acaadi and Duqua Dar aboard the Dark Phoenix, and Xaset Terep and Cariaga Sin aboard the Development. While their numbers were few, those who remained had proven themselves to be instrumental to the success of the Republic war effort. They had joined the Republic on many fronts, and while there were certainly losses, they would have no doubt have been worse if the Jedi had not been there.

This, however, was not enough. The Mandalorians were gaining ground far too rapidly, and the threat was increasing with every second that they might overtake the Galactic Republic and send the galaxy into a new era ruled by their bloodlust. They needed to find some way of halting the Mandalorian offensive once and for all. As long as the war had remained in the Outer Rim Territories, it had been manageable. But as they moved inward toward the Core World, planets were more densely populated, and the risk of damage to the Republic infrastructure increased.

But while the ultimate goal was obviously Coruscant, the Mandalorian path to the Galactic Capitol planet remained unclear. It was troublesome not only to the Republic war strategists, but also to the Revanchists. It was impossible for the Jedi to effectively aid the Republic if their positions were incorrect. Ordinary people expected the Jedi to be able to predict such things, but the truth was that there were no great seers left among the Order after the tragedy involving the Draay Estate. While it was not terribly uncommon for Jedi of all strengths to receive ‘visions’ from time to time, the inherent ability to manifest these visions of the future at will was quite rare and required years of training as a seer.

While Revan did still occasionally receive the visions which had plagued her at the start of the Revanchists journey, she had yet to discover how to manifest them at will. This was largely the reason for her insistence upon tracking whatever leads came within them whenever she did have them. Even when they had been haunted by the sound of the Voice, they had served as reliable warnings for the future up to this point, and so she felt it important not to ignore them. After all, they needed every scrap of advantage that they could get….

But since her vision of the crystals on Lorrd II, there had been no such luck of the visions appearing to her. She had wondered if it were in part due to no longer having the guidance of Master Kae during meditation sessions, and had considered asking her teacher to return to her company, but with their numbers so scare, she could not afford to recall anyone, especially not one of Arren Kae’s level of experience… No, she would have to manage on her own. Somehow, she would have to figure out a way to compensate on her own…

The Lorrdian gems which Revan and Malak had retrieved from the mines on Lorrd II remained with them aboard the Nemesis. No one else knew of them at the moment, and perhaps that were for the better. She’d considered the possibility of attempting to use the crystal’s power to enhance the deepness of meditative trance in attempt to provoke visions into manifesting themselves, but the endeavor had proven to be unsuccessful thus far.

It was a bit ironic when she thought about it. The Mandalorians were so superstitious and distrusting of ‘Jedi magic tricks’ and would rather rely on their own warrior instincts… and yet here she was, foolishly attempting to use the same ‘Jedi magic’ to predict what their war paths were. Perhaps it were all silly and she should go back to looking at physical tactics. But the tactics she had learned for positioning troops were specific to individual battles. They were of no use whatsoever if it were impossible to tell where the battle was going to take place.

She regarded the faces of those present via the holo communication. Each member of the Revanchists had changed since entering the war, and perhaps not for the better. Ferroh seemed gnarled and tired, his fur unkempt and eyes dim with the knowledge of the planet-wide genocide against his people. Opela, who had always been so warm and full of hope, seemed distant and vague, as if trying to forget the horrors she had witnessed. And Malak, who had always followed Revan like a loyal Kath pup before, had become visibly wary of some of his friend’s behavior.

Revan had attempted to pretend that she didn’t notice this behavior from him, but it was growing increasingly difficult. She could feel the strain which it had been causing on their friendship as of late, and it was beginning to startle her. She couldn’t help but to wonder if perhaps it were her own fault rather than the fault of the war. After all, she knew that she had changed much from the person he’d known on Dantooine. She was no longer Halin Chan. She couldn’t be. Just as he could no longer be Alex Kharr.

The only person who seemed relatively unchanged was Arren Kae. Somehow, the older woman had managed to remain at peace, despite the horrors which they all had faced. Revan was eternally grateful for this. Master Kae was like a calm in the storm of the war. She was a level head when thoughts of the situation seemed to grow increasingly irrational. Perhaps this was the necessary wisdom which marked a true Master among the Jedi…

It was decided in the call that they would stand by and await orders. It was all that they could do, after all. At least they knew that the Mandalorians were headed Core-ward. Where precisely was still a mystery, but there was only so much of a spectrum of possibility. If they could position themselves accordingly, then no matter where the Mandalorians chose to strike next, the Revanchists would be there with the Republic to bring them to a halt. After all, the Mandalorians were not without losses themselves. And while they continued to recruit from each conquered planet along their path, surely they would eventually begin to feel the toll on their numbers, especially in the Core Worlds where Republic fortifications were at their strongest.

When the transmission ended, Revan removed her mask and let out a sigh, allowing the cold repurposed air of the ship’s internal atmosphere to wash over her natural features. It had been some time since she’d done so, and she’d almost forgotten what it felt like. It felt crisp and clean against her skin. She closed her eyes, drinking it all in.

Malak approached her from behind, reaching out a hand for a moment as if to rest it on her shoulder, but he stopped himself. He couldn’t help but to be afraid… Afraid that the end was drawing nearer for all of them. The possibility of Mandalorian victory in this war was increasing with every day, and the number of Revanchists who remained with them was decreasing. He’d heard from Talon about Revan’s near-death experience in the Thustra system when she and Kae had attempted to re-take the supply depot. What troubled him most about this, however, was not her resulted injuries from the incident, but the fact that she’d not bothered to even mention it to him on her own.

He’d sensed a disturbance when it happened, as he had since found out, but had been unable to make contact until several weeks after, at which point she had assured him that all was fine. It was after transferring back into the same company as her that he had taken it upon himself to get the full story from her older brother as to what had happened.

“Revan?” he dared to say, even though his hand dared not to touch.

She turned to him and for a moment, he was at a loss for any further words. It was the first time in over a year that he had seen her face beneath the mask. And while the mask was all Revan, those eyes still belonged to Halin. He swallowed hard, speech refusing to escape from his throat. Despite this time, despite all of the change… beneath it all she was just as he had remembered her. The same blue-gray eyes, the same raven hair, the same pink of her lips drawn in a neutral yet expectant expression as she waited for him to continue after having addressed her.

“Yes?” She said, looking up at him.

He took a breath and managed to continue. “I need to talk to you… I have questions, and I need you to answer them for me…”

Her brows knitted together, and her expression changed to a frown. “What sort of questions?” she asked.

“You’ve been hiding things from me lately. Why?”

“Have I? I hadn’t noticed…” she lied, and attempted to turn and re-mask, but Malak caught her wrists and gently took the mask from her, setting it aside before taking her hands pleadingly in his own. She did not fight him. His actions intrigued her. She turned back to him, waiting and listening to hear what he had to say.

“Talon told me what happened on Thustra…”

“It is not Talon’s place to speak on such matters.”

“Why didn’t you tell me, Revan?”

“I didn’t want you to worry unnecessarily. After all, I’m still here, am I not?”

“That’s not the point…”

“Had anything actually happened, you would have been the first to know, Malak. You know very well that I would want you to take command of the Revanchists should I die before this war is over.”

“How can you talk like that?”

“The possibility has always existed for all of us, Malak. I am no more immune to it than Tavlon, or than Hazar, or than any of the others who have not been so lucky as we have been so far. Trust me when I say—”

“There you go again,” he interrupted her. “’Trust me’… I do trust you, Revan, more than you perhaps you understand… but trust works both ways! And it’s very clear lately that you do not trust me.”

Revan paused at the thought. He continued:

“It seems as though you hardly trust anyone anymore… Not the Council, not the Republic, not your brother, not the other Revanchists… but I’ve known you for most of both of our lives. We’ve been friends for a long time, Rev… Why do you feel you need to keep secrets from me?”

She sighed. “Mal… sometimes the truth can be a difficult thing to understand… I’m only trying to protect you…”

“I don’t need your protection. I can handle myself… Sometimes I do think though that you’re the one who might need protecting—”

“Why? Because I’m a woman?” She said, rolling her eyes. “Malak, I don’t need you to start patronizing me now simply because I got hurt. In case you’ve been asleep lately, it’s a war. People get injured. People die. Planets burn. Sacrifices are made. Get over it!”

“The thing you need protection from is yourself, Revan! Listen to what you’re saying!” He said, his eyes leering with fire as his face reddened.

Their eyes met, neither one intent upon giving up any ground. Revan attempted to pull her hands away, but Malak held them tighter, intent upon having her respond to him clearly. It was a serious matter, which concerned him greatly, and he needed her to treat it as such.

“Let go of me,” she demanded.

“Not until you start answering me clearly! I know you. I know you well enough to know that you’re hiding something. Halin wouldn’t stand by idly awaiting orders from Republic Captains about the next course of action, and neither would Revan, for that matter. I know you. I know that you’re planning something. You’ve still not said anything to them about the crystals from Lorrd. Why? You continue to ignore Talon’s orders even though he is the one in command of this battalion. Why? What crazy scheme are you hatching in that pretty little head of yours?”

“As your Master, I demand that you let me go!” she said, pulling harder.

“Fine,” he said, letting go of her abruptly and throwing his arms up into a pose of surrender. The sudden release had cause her off guard, and she fell backward under the weight of her own efforts. He knelt down and held a hand out to her to help her back up. At first she refused, her pride not wanting to allow for any assistance, but it was difficult to get back up on her own under the weight of the Deralian armor, and so she eventually conceded.

He continued to hold her hand after the fact, but more gently this time, brushing her slender gloved fingers with his thumb. He wanted to remove the glove, to feel her skin against his own, but that would have been too much. “I’ve followed you until now without questioning,” he said, the tone of his voice matching the gentler tone of his actions, “but you can’t expect me to continue doing so if you’re going to leave me in the dark. I want to help you, Revan. It’s why I came with you in the first place. But you have to let me do so…”

She sighed, turning her face downward to look at the floor. Cautiously, he took his free hand and slipped it under her chin, turning her face upward to look at him again. Her flesh was warmer than he had remembered it to be, he assumed from the number of layers she was constantly wearing. He resisted the urge to touch her cheek, her lips… She was so much closer now than she had been in a very long time… and yet she felt so distant still.

He could feel her beginning to tremble and swiftly withdrew his touch. The physical contact seemed to be making her uncomfortable… To his surprise however, it was she who reached back out and took his hand again before continuing to speak, grasping it firmly and securely as she did.

“Perhaps I’ve been unfair to you,” she admitted. “You’ve never wished me ill before… I promise I’ll try to be more open with you in the future… Starting now.”

He regarded her with curiosity.

Hesitantly, she began explaining. “I… I had an idea… I don’t know if it will work or not, but I have to at least try… I think I’ve figured out a way to manifest the visions at will… I think I can use the crystals from Lorrd as a catalyst… I think that… if I can render the conditions just so… I can figure out where the Mandalorians are going to strike…”

“It’s a risky move,” Malak replied. “Even with Kae’s training, if something goes wrong, what if the Voice should return?”

She nodded, accepting the thought of possibility. “That’s why I need help… I need you to be there to break the trance in case something should go horribly wrong… I can’t control what happens to me when I am in that state… I’m more vulnerable to threats from the outside… and fom within.”

Malak furrowed his brow. “What are you implying?”

“Kace betrayed us to fight for the Mandalorians,” she said. “What if there are others like him whom we do not know about fighting on their side? Other Mandalorian Jedi… It is possible for another Jedi to enter one’s mind when they are in such a state…”

“Now I think you’re just being paranoid…”

“Am I?”

“Yes… Revan I’ll be there to help as I can. I promise that if there’s any sign of something about to go wrong, I’ll help you break the trance…” And with this, he forced a smile. “Trust me,” he said, giving her hand a little squeeze.

The irony of the statement caused her to laugh a little, a smile spreading across her lips, and she squeezed his hand back. “I guess I owe you that much… Thank you, Malak.”

“Thank you for agreeing to trust me.”

><><><><><

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #111 on: November 20, 2018, 10:39:07 PM »

Let the galaxy burn….In some ways the Mando’s seem like a kind of swarm of locusts that periodically assails the rest of the galaxy, like they are simply a force of nature that ebbs and flows every now and then, ultimately always pushed back because if they really did win, I’m not sure they would know what to do next…except perhaps dissolve into factional mini-kingdoms constantly at war with each other so they can keep finding glory in battle…

A little feedback that meeting at the start of part 4 was very strange to read…you have everyone assembled via holo and then Revan reflects on them…then it just sort of finishes and no one actually says anything-

I get the focus was on Rev/Malak post the meeting but still I think it would’ve been much better as actual dialogue between each of the Revanchists in turn with Revan reflecting on how each had changed as they speak, it just seemed really weird to have an assembly like that and not show the dialogue which could’ve delved into the detail rather than having the text as blocks.  The ultimate conclusion that she ‘couldn’t be Halin Chan’ after such experiences even if she wanted to was a very good conclusive point but got a bit lost in there.

Opela’s section in part 3 was quite good …getting really into the gritty action would be great to see more of that -the subsequent reference to Thustra just made me wonder what happened there that we didn't 'see' – I’d recommend checking out Dutchmans Schisms from about chapter 16 onward for some great examples of how to do some combat scenes in open war that also mix in some deeper reflections - might give you some ideas! 

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38018.msg639062#msg639062

But yeah just my opinions anyway!

Lord_S_Gray

Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

« Reply #112 on: November 21, 2018, 05:00:33 AM »

Let the galaxy burn….In some ways the Mando’s seem like a kind of swarm of locusts that periodically assails the rest of the galaxy, like they are simply a force of nature that ebbs and flows every now and then, ultimately always pushed back because if they really did win, I’m not sure they would know what to do next…except perhaps dissolve into factional mini-kingdoms constantly at war with each other so they can keep finding glory in battle…

A little feedback that meeting at the start of part 4 was very strange to read…you have everyone assembled via holo and then Revan reflects on them…then it just sort of finishes and no one actually says anything-

I get the focus was on Rev/Malak post the meeting but still I think it would’ve been much better as actual dialogue between each of the Revanchists in turn with Revan reflecting on how each had changed as they speak, it just seemed really weird to have an assembly like that and not show the dialogue which could’ve delved into the detail rather than having the text as blocks.  The ultimate conclusion that she ‘couldn’t be Halin Chan’ after such experiences even if she wanted to was a very good conclusive point but got a bit lost in there.

Opela’s section in part 3 was quite good …getting really into the gritty action would be great to see more of that -the subsequent reference to Thustra just made me wonder what happened there that we didn't 'see' – I’d recommend checking out Dutchmans Schisms from about chapter 16 onward for some great examples of how to do some combat scenes in open war that also mix in some deeper reflections - might give you some ideas! 

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38018.msg639062#msg639062

But yeah just my opinions anyway!

You mean revert back to the warring clans before they were united under one Mandalore? Wink 'Tis possible... unless they were fighting the wriong war and only thought they won. DUN DUN DUUUUUN

Yes, I thought of that after the fact. It's in the list of things to add in for the rewrite. Originally the Revan/Malak business  was going to take place somewhere else, but then I realized it would make a nice lead-in to the last part of the chapter (which isn't up yet)... but when I added it in I got distracted and forgot to include the meeting business. Whoops...

I'll definitely take a look at Dutch's work for writing for combat (It's always been my personal weakness,since I generally like to act out the scene as I write to imagine the natural flow; this method makes writing combat scenes rather difficult for very obvious reasons). Eres III in particular though was more challenging than it should have been due to the unintentional yet unavoidable parallels to current events. In the past when I've attempted to use these sorts of situations to fuel the parallel action, it's caused me to get stuck in very dark places mentally that I would rather avoid if I can, for the sake of my own sanity. Perhaps that's selfish of me, but I'm not ready to go there at this specific moment in time...

"Schisms" will, I'm sure, be great research for the rest of Part I though, now that they're entering the more involved full on heat of the war. I'm actually looking forward to doing the eventual Revan/Mandalore duel (I feel like single combat is a lot easiest to realize than an individual's view on a full battlefield). There *is* one scene that's already fully developed in my head, but that's not until the beginning of Part II... That one I'm also looking very much forward to. I've had so many ideas for Part II lately, but know I need to wait in case something in the rest of Part I causes a shift in my vision for Part II... I'm hoping I can finish up the initial write for part I by the end of the year and launch Part II in January.

As for Thustra.... I did a general outline of the goings on in the previous chapter in the part with Revan and Arren. I considered then going back and re-doing the scene, but realized if I did, I would have to completely re-do the existing section to avoid total redundancy. It's something I'll certainly consider for the re-write, especially since it could have some interesting developments for the relationship between Kae and Revan as Teacher and Student. Adding in the bits with Malak and with Talon, it would allow for the Force nature of the "bond" Opela sensed to be explored and there would probably be enough content that it could stand alone as a chapter in the rewrite... I'll add it to the list of things to include in the rewrite.

The last section of this chapter is about half written. I was hoping to finish before I fell asleep tonight, but I'm so tired I'm not sure that will be possible. If anything, this weekend is a long weekend for the holiday in the States, so I have lots of time to get caught up after my month long hiatus from writing. Gotta get back on track if I'm going to be able to start Part II for New Years! Part I is 31 Chapters in the outline, so I'm past the half way point now and Chapters 18 through 24 should all be pretty straight forward in terms of writing...

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #113 on: November 21, 2018, 05:47:22 AM »

Yeah it can be hard to know what to zoom in on in something as grand as a galactic scale war…zoom out too far and it loses its impact…zoom in too close and it does the same but in a different way. I don’t think anyone ever really can tell what works and what doesn’t till you try…and even then….

But ultimately it needs to be about the characters, so when in doubt go with the person centred approach I think – Dutch does this by having non central (often 1 chapter) characters experience of the war which I think works well to broaden the scope to a large scale but keep that person focus- add in a tangent to a main character and bam there you go.

Anyway as you progress I’m sure you’ll work out your own way of managing different sections and foci. Take your time with it usually get better result in the end!

Lord_S_Gray

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

« Reply #114 on: November 21, 2018, 06:49:47 AM »

Thanks for the tips LSG! It’s something that I suppose is just going to take time and getting used to writing. Reading examples might help. Watching probably would too except for the fact that I’m rather squeamish when it comes to wartime movies and shows, particularly the more realistic they are. >.<

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

« Reply #115 on: November 26, 2018, 06:42:52 AM »

The last part of this Chapter is really just a lead-in for the next chapter, but it didn't fit in the 4th section...

CHAPTER SIXTEEN: THE MANDALORIAN TRIUMPH (Part 5 of 5)

><><><><><

Revan and Malak entered the chamber on the Nemesis which the former had used for meditation training with Master Arren Kae. It was a small space with somewhat ill light close to the ship’s engines, the soft hum of which could be felt in the subtle vibrations of the walls. The blast door sealed shut behind them and Revan moved to the center of the chamber, seating herself on the polished black floor. She took from one of the pouches on her belt two palm-sized Lorrdian gem stones.

“Well,” she said, turning to Malak who was standing watchfully at the blast door, “This is it. Let’s hope that this ‘crazy scheme’ of mine actually works… this time…”

“What do you mean ‘this time’?” he questioned her, folding his arms.

“My attempt to manifest the visions at will… I’ve tried a few times already, but nothing has quite worked… But this time… this time I think I’ve finally solved the issue… If I were to combine the two elements…. Maybe… Just maybe it would be enough….”

Malak raised an eyebrow. She wasn’t making any sense… but at least she was being honest with him finally, even if he couldn’t understand the inner workings of her brain…

“I’m going to begin,” she said, assuming a meditative position in the center of the room with a Lorrdian gem stone in either hand. She closed her eyes, entering into a meditative state.

Malak stood by, watching as she did so. He wasn’t entirely certain what ‘unusual’ behavior he was supposed to be looking for. After all, he hoped he would have been able to stop anything before her visions progressed to the point they had been at back when they had first entered the war. Time passed and all seemed normal…. Until he heard a faint humming.

It took him a moment to realize that the humming was coming from Revan herself. He watched her more closely, wondering if she should stop her now. The Lorrdian gem stones were glowing faintly. Was her plan working, he wondered?

Suddenly, he noticed her expression begin to change. She looked more and more distressed, and he was    moving toward her to break the trance when suddenly her eyes flew open and she gasped. She instantly dropped the crystals and her hands swiftly moved to her mouth, as if to prevent herself from crying out.

“Revan?” Malak said, kneeling down beside her. “Is everything all right? Did it work?”

“I know,” she said, turning toward him. “I know where they’re going…. Quickly! We have to inform Talon now… We don’t have much time….”

She grabbed onto his shoulder and pulled herself to her feet as quickly as she could. Malak caught part of her cloak before she could fly out of the room. “Why? Where are they headed?”

“They’re going to attack the Core… Duro…”      

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #116 on: November 26, 2018, 10:58:22 PM »

Foresight is a dangerous thing...knowledge of the future changes the future  - 'always in motion is the future' - in this case its probably not any more revealing than what some 'normal' intelligence and spies could've discerned from the Mando's, but extension of the method Revan is using beyond broad sweeps like this that could've been obtained using conventional methods...that could get her into tricky situations and feedback loops...

Anyway will be interesting to see how Revan approaches the strategy here against Republic objectives...will they want to protect the system - or sacrifice it to attack the Mando supply lines that will be stretched to get to Duro...or try and have their cake and eat it too - defend and attack from behind?  Either way i doubt it will be as easy as Revan thinks to get everyone agreeing on a single strategy.... 

Lord_S_Gray

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

« Reply #117 on: November 26, 2018, 11:14:15 PM »

Foresight is a dangerous thing...knowledge of the future changes the future  - 'always in motion is the future' - in this case its probably not any more revealing than what some 'normal' intelligence and spies could've discerned from the Mando's, but extension of the method Revan is using beyond broad sweeps like this that could've been obtained using conventional methods...that could get her into tricky situations and feedback loops...

Anyway will be interesting to see how Revan approaches the strategy here against Republic objectives...will they want to protect the system - or sacrifice it to attack the Mando supply lines that will be stretched to get to Duro...or try and have their cake and eat it too - defend and attack from behind?  Either way i doubt it will be as easy as Revan thinks to get everyone agreeing on a single strategy.... 

Oh quite a dangerous thing. Let’s just say she might be setting herself up with it for a fall later on....

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #118 on: November 27, 2018, 02:50:19 PM »

Hey LR!  Thanks, I'm really enjoying reading this.  Unfortunately I have so much RL and story-line fragments buzzing around in my head that I'm having a hard time putting together any critical comments, but I wanted to say that I am really enjoying reading your stuff!  Thank you for adding to our Forum-verse!  :-)

I liked the subtle reference to the Song you slid int here, too!  Malek's confusion to hear her humming was a nice touch.  :-)

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

« Reply #119 on: November 27, 2018, 04:23:07 PM »

Hey LR!  Thanks, I'm really enjoying reading this.  Unfortunately I have so much RL and story-line fragments buzzing around in my head that I'm having a hard time putting together any critical comments, but I wanted to say that I am really enjoying reading your stuff!  Thank you for adding to our Forum-verse!  :-)

I liked the subtle reference to the Song you slid int here, too!  Malek's confusion to hear her humming was a nice touch.  :-)

Thank you for your kind words, Karm. Smiley This chapter has felt very strange in terms of writing, simply because of some stuff going on in my personal life and real-world context of some of the events. I anticipate that this one will undergo some of the most changes of all chapters in my eventual planned rewrite...

That being said, I personally understand the feeling of things buzzing around making it difficult to reply lol. Thank you either way, and feel free to drop in later should something come to you after the fact.

And my pleasure (in regard to the forum-verse thing). I don’t think Revan is very much aware yet of what she’s doing though. Malak might ask her about it later. Gotta set up the larger thing lol

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: