Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down
Author Topic: Only Light Can Cast Shadow (A KotOR AU FanFiction) (Part I)  (Read 39708 times)
Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #120 on: November 27, 2018, 05:25:37 PM »

Thank you for your kind words, Karm. Smiley This chapter has felt very strange in terms of writing, simply because of some stuff going on in my personal life and real-world context of some of the events. I anticipate that this one will undergo some of the most changes of all chapters in my eventual planned rewrite...

That being said, I personally understand the feeling of things buzzing around making it difficult to reply lol. Thank you either way, and feel free to drop in later should something come to you after the fact.

And my pleasure (in regard to the forum-verse thing). I don’t think Revan is very much aware yet of what she’s doing though. Malak might ask her about it later. Gotta set up the larger thing lol

I'm actually about to kick off a similar "discovery" phase with another character.  I can easily see where someone might 'hum along' to something they're not even sure they're really hearing.  Kind of like humming softly a tune you're hearing in your head....

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1055

I leave my alignment to Fate-whether Light or Dark

« Reply #121 on: November 28, 2018, 01:55:59 AM »

I'm actually about to kick off a similar "discovery" phase with another character.  I can easily see where someone might 'hum along' to something they're not even sure they're really hearing.  Kind of like humming softly a tune you're hearing in your head....

Can't wait to read about it! I'm still slowly working my way through the forum reading list T^T Is this for your new story I saw you posted the other day? Looks like the list will need to be updated again...

My Sabers: I'mma make a link eventually. list doesn't fit in sig any more Sad

Author of: Only Light Can Cast Shadow A pre-KotOR Fem!Revan Fic

Twisted Morality (Part III of "Only Light Can Cast Shadow")

I leave my alignment to fate--Light or Dark

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #122 on: November 28, 2018, 07:36:30 AM »

Can't wait to read about it! I'm still slowly working my way through the forum reading list T^T Is this for your new story I saw you posted the other day? Looks like the list will need to be updated again...

Yes, Alex in "Hearts of Stone" will be discovering the Mak'Tor song very soon.   I'm still having the internal debate about how well he will be able to hear it.  I'm leaning hard toward "tone deaf" at the moment.  :-)

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #123 on: May 17, 2019, 08:48:20 PM »

OK, now that I'm completely caught up with this story...

First off: WONDERFUL job taking canon and truly making it your own, LR!  Frankly I think that the legend of Revan is made all the more poignant after reading this iteration, not to mention that having the additional conflict involving Malak's burgeoning feelings towards Revan makes for EXCELLENT pathos!  Reminds me of Dune: "circles within circles" indeed  Wink

While I'm fairly familiar with much of Revan's story, this feels entirely original, where the Easter eggs make me feel like I'm privy to insider information.  And my compliments LR on the emotional scenes, some standouts that come immediately to mind: Halin's rediscovery of her relationship with her brother; when she becomes the Revanchist; the near-genocide of the Cathar; Malak's torture--and Halin's/Revan's reaction in learning about it--at the hands of Demagol; the betrayal of the Mandalorian Jedi; the apathy of the Jedi Council; Revan taking the mask&name; the unresolved sexual tension between Revan and Malak (I can't WAIT to see what happens that makes them...um, well I don't want to give anything away to those readers who are unfamiliar with the story; shall we say their inability to get together  Wink).

Another point that separates LR's iteration (and of course I love this next part): the inclusion of the Mak'Tor & the Song!  Bringing them into the narrative--especially in relation to the Voice and Revan's visions.  This was just too awesome when I read it  Cheesy

Let the galaxy burn….In some ways the Mando’s seem like a kind of swarm of locusts that periodically assails the rest of the galaxy, like they are simply a force of nature that ebbs and flows every now and then, ultimately always pushed back because if they really did win, I’m not sure they would know what to do next…except perhaps dissolve into factional mini-kingdoms constantly at war with each other so they can keep finding glory in battle…

A little feedback that meeting at the start of part 4 was very strange to read…you have everyone assembled via holo and then Revan reflects on them…then it just sort of finishes and no one actually says anything-

I get the focus was on Rev/Malak post the meeting but still I think it would’ve been much better as actual dialogue between each of the Revanchists in turn with Revan reflecting on how each had changed as they speak, it just seemed really weird to have an assembly like that and not show the dialogue which could’ve delved into the detail rather than having the text as blocks.  The ultimate conclusion that she ‘couldn’t be Halin Chan’ after such experiences even if she wanted to was a very good conclusive point but got a bit lost in there.

Opela’s section in part 3 was quite good …getting really into the gritty action would be great to see more of that -the subsequent reference to Thustra just made me wonder what happened there that we didn't 'see' – I’d recommend checking out Dutchmans Schisms from about chapter 16 onward for some great examples of how to do some combat scenes in open war that also mix in some deeper reflections - might give you some ideas! 

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38018.msg639062#msg639062

But yeah just my opinions anyway!

Yeah it can be hard to know what to zoom in on in something as grand as a galactic scale war…zoom out too far and it loses its impact…zoom in too close and it does the same but in a different way. I don’t think anyone ever really can tell what works and what doesn’t till you try…and even then….

But ultimately it needs to be about the characters, so when in doubt go with the person centred approach I think – Dutch does this by having non central (often 1 chapter) characters experience of the war which I think works well to broaden the scope to a large scale but keep that person focus- add in a tangent to a main character and bam there you go.

Anyway as you progress I’m sure you’ll work out your own way of managing different sections and foci. Take your time with it usually get better result in the end!

That one of my fellow writers would give me such praise is an honor.  Thanks LSG!

But to be fair: those chapters concerning periphery characters were a synthesis between an idea that LSG had floated my way and some stray thoughts about how best to proceed with the narrative.  I can honestly say that LSG's insight really gave vital breath to what I was trying to pin down from the aether (no pun intended  Wink).

With all that said: I canNOT wait for the next part of this story!  Kudos to you LR!

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Bob Loblaw
Knight Major

Force Alignment: 102

« Reply #124 on: June 01, 2019, 11:22:06 PM »

Wow! This is the first fan fiction I've read. I mentioned Halin being very attractive in a thread where you were showing pics of her, (I didn't realize they were of you!). I guess I'm in for a lot of reading. I wish I was able to be poetic about it, but I just think it's a really well written story and I felt  hooked and couldn't stop reading. Well done!

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

« Reply #125 on: June 02, 2019, 12:43:20 AM »

Wow! This is the first fan fiction I've read. I mentioned Halin being very attractive in a thread where you were showing pics of her, (I didn't realize they were of you!). I guess I'm in for a lot of reading. I wish I was able to be poetic about it, but I just think it's a really well written story and I felt  hooked and couldn't stop reading. Well done!

Hello Bob! I'm glad that you've enjoyed it so far! I've been procrastinating the next chapter a bit trying to make sense of a canonical space battle that (frankly) doesn't make sense XD I think I finally have an idea, but my outline for the chapter is still on the harddrive of my old laptop, which I'm attempting to recover, but with little luck thus far. Did you get all the way through what's posted yet?

Bob Loblaw
Knight Major

« Reply #126 on: June 02, 2019, 12:52:25 AM »

Hello Bob! I'm glad that you've enjoyed it so far! I've been procrastinating the next chapter a bit trying to make sense of a canonical space battle that (frankly) doesn't make sense XD I think I finally have an idea, but my outline for the chapter is still on the harddrive of my old laptop, which I'm attempting to recover, but with little luck thus far. Did you get all the way through what's posted yet?

I hope you can recover those files. Yes, I've read everything so far. I love it!
When do space battles ACTUALLY make sense?  Tongue

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

« Reply #127 on: June 02, 2019, 01:07:35 AM »

I hope you can recover those files. Yes, I've read everything so far. I love it!
When do space battles ACTUALLY make sense?  Tongue

They seldom do, but I have to justify the outcome in relation to the current main characters XD

Bob Loblaw
Knight Major

« Reply #128 on: June 02, 2019, 02:16:46 AM »

They seldom do, but I have to justify the outcome in relation to the current main characters XD

Well, I look forward to it! I'm sure you will do a great job! Wink

JNovaarii
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 2

« Reply #129 on: June 23, 2019, 07:40:29 PM »

Very well written LR. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

current saber : Initiate v4 with fire orange blade, soon to have Obsidian v3 sound and av switch installed

wishlist dream saber:  Dark Initiate v5 with gold claws, with most of the black anodizing removed to create a custom look

"I am neither a servant of the light or the dark, but a servant of the balanced will of the Force. and serve the greater good of the galaxy"- Jeskaaro Nova'arii, Suva'arii Knight and Elite Guardian of the Fi'arii Empire

Light or dark points appreciated as warranted, My alignment will remain more or less neutral

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

« Reply #130 on: June 25, 2019, 05:28:26 PM »

Very well written LR. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

Glad you've enjoyed so far (and sorry for my delayed reply; I'd not seen the "new reply" notification)!

On a semi-related note, the friend of mine who is coming over to help me take costume submission photos tomorrow is also the one who let me borrow the Hard Drive Docking port, so maybe he can help me find the files from my old laptop's hard drive Cheesy Next chapter can technically come without it, but considering I had the pacing set up for the first 5 and a half books of the 9-10 total, I'd rather not do too much without it.

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

« Reply #131 on: August 27, 2019, 10:16:07 AM »

Thought I would give an update: I've started writing updates for "Only Light Can Cast Shadow" and "Twisted Morality." Not sure which one will come first, but expect to see updates in the coming weeks. I'm sorry I've been so quiet lately.

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #132 on: August 27, 2019, 02:22:17 PM »

Awesome!

I know what you mean.   RL has bogged me down quite a bit, I'm having trouble finishing "Hearts of Stone"...   Let alone the bigger projects we're working on.  LOL

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #133 on: August 27, 2019, 04:24:08 PM »

Thought I would give an update: I've started writing updates for "Only Light Can Cast Shadow" and "Twisted Morality." Not sure which one will come first, but expect to see updates in the coming weeks. I'm sorry I've been so quiet lately.
No worries LR!  You write when you can; we'll still be here anticipating the next exciting chapter  Wink

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

« Reply #134 on: August 29, 2019, 05:53:32 AM »

Awesome!

I know what you mean.   RL has bogged me down quite a bit, I'm having trouble finishing "Hearts of Stone"...   Let alone the bigger projects we're working on.  LOL
No worries LR!  You write when you can; we'll still be here anticipating the next exciting chapter  Wink

On a somewhat related note, I may post up a script I've been working on lately that is loosely based off of scenes from "Only Light Can Cast Shadow." My Saber Guild Temple was invited to perform as a pre-show to the premier of "The Rise of Skywalker" at the largest IMAX theatre in South[/i] Sith Florida. Our proposals have to be submitted by Friday and the final vote will be finished by 9/1/19. Right now mine is looking like the top contender to be picked, so I'm pretty excited!

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: