Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Independent Control of Side Blades for Crossguard Sabers?  (Read 5508 times)
Dark Path Media
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: -168

Once you start down the dark path...

« on: September 26, 2018, 08:38:22 PM »

Although I'm certain this has been discussed somewhere on the forum previously, I have been unable to find it. In short, I'm wondering if there's any way to independently control the side blade LEDs when configuring lighting effects in the Ultrasabers Launcher software; specifically delayed "ignition" of the side blade LEDs. I know that with the recent upgrade, the side blade colors do change along with the main blade, which is great. I'm not looking to have the side blades have a different color than the main blade or have them behave differently in any other way than to fade in about a half second after the main blade.

I'm putting the finishing touches on a new Kylo Ren inspired font called "Son of Darkness" and would like to have this effect. All of the sound files and all lighting effects are done; I have three single/simultaneous ignition sounds and three dual/delayed ignition sounds. I've become pretty familiar with the Launcher software and so far as I can tell, the answer is no. I figure if it were possible, there would be two separate editing windows for the lighting, which I don't see.

That said, I know there are far more experienced users than I here on the forum, and thought I'd reach out.

Ultrasabers currently owned: Archon v3.1 (Diamond) - Guardian (Diamond) - Spectre (Diamond) - Renegade (Diamond) - Fulcrum (Diamond) - Consular (Diamond) - Butcher (Diamond) - Menace SE Staff (Diamond) - Dark Graflex (Diamond) - Dark Sentinel v4 (Stunt) - Initiate v4 (Stunt, Summer Raffle Prize)

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 03:30:02 AM »

Unfortunately not... no separate control.  Likely others will post to explain this more fully or know where to find a previous thread that discusses this topic.  I don't always find what is wanted using the Search function.  Smiley

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 07:04:43 PM »

I always thought that the side blades are now wired as "Accent LEDs", and those have separate controls in the Effects Editor. So you can set the main blade to ignite instantly and have the side blades (let's say they're on Accent 1) ignite half a second later. You just have to add two points, one at 0.5s with 255 intensity and one a bit earlier, around 0.4s with 0. That would create a fade-in which lasts about 0.1s. Then add the sound file and you have your "power up" effect.

However, I don't own a cross-guard with Diamond, so that's only a thought. If the wiring is different and not linked to the Accent LEDs, then D7 is right and the side blades are not spearately controllable. Even if it works via Accent LEDs, you still can't control each of the side blades, only both. So it's not possible to have the main blade, 0.5s later one side blade, and another 0.5s later the other side blade.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 08:38:09 PM by Racona Nova » Logged

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

Dark Path Media
Knight Captain

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 01:24:29 PM »

Even if it works via Accent LEDs, you still can't control each of the side blades, only both. So it's not possible to have the main blade, 0.5s later one side blade, and another 0.5s later the other side blade.

Thank you Racona. I don't wish to control each of the side blades independently; just both side blades independent of the main blade. Basically, on power on, I would like to ignite the main blade, then both side blades together about half a second later. I'll try messing with the accent faders like you suggested and see what happens  Smiley

Ultrasabers currently owned: Archon v3.1 (Diamond) - Guardian (Diamond) - Spectre (Diamond) - Renegade (Diamond) - Fulcrum (Diamond) - Consular (Diamond) - Butcher (Diamond) - Menace SE Staff (Diamond) - Dark Graflex (Diamond) - Dark Sentinel v4 (Stunt) - Initiate v4 (Stunt, Summer Raffle Prize)

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2786

Grey Assassin

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 01:37:27 PM »

Thank you Racona. I don't wish to control each of the side blades independently; just both side blades independent of the main blade. Basically, on power on, I would like to ignite the main blade, then both side blades together about half a second later. I'll try messing with the accent faders like you suggested and see what happens  Smiley

I don't own a crossguard saber yet; however, it's good to know since if the side blades can be independent of the main blade, I'll be sold on ordering it with the Diamond controller

Racona Nova
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 06:11:29 PM »

I'm quite sure this is the case. It wasn't possible with Emerald, but when Diamond was introduced, Emory said something like that in the introduction and how-to videos. It was a request that the side blades should be controllable like the main blade and Diamond offers that possibility due to the new Accent LED pins.

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

Dark Path Media
Knight Captain

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2018, 08:07:21 PM »

I'm quite sure this is the case. It wasn't possible with Emerald, but when Diamond was introduced, Emory said something like that in the introduction and how-to videos. It was a request that the side blades should be controllable like the main blade and Diamond offers that possibility due to the new Accent LED pins.

That's...    good news  Smiley

I hope this is that case; I'll attempt it tonight and report back.

Something interesting I'm seeing in the UltraSabers Launcher is a variance / discrepancy in the effect editor. If I take an effect from a default advanced font (such as Obsidian), I see only a single color control for the Accent LED, labeled as "Accent 1". Alternatively, if I decide to start from scratch and create a "New Effect" by clicking the button of the same name, I see 4 independent color controls for Accent, labeled as "Accent 1", "Accent 2", "Accent 3" and "Accent 4" which is un-editiable by default due to being associated with the battery warning.

With a single control for a single featured Accent LED, it controls only the illuminated power AV switch and has no effect on the side blades. I wonder if the key to the side blades is one of the other two editable Accent controls found in the "New Effect" editor.

We shall see...

Dark Path Media
Knight Captain

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 01:07:11 AM »

Alright, I tried messing with all of the accent channels, except channel 4, which is assigned to the battery monitor. In short, they do nothing. They do nothing together or separately. Accent LED # 1 controls the illuminated AV switch, and that's it.

However, reading the Diamond manual under the resources tab of the UltraSabers Launcher; independent control of the side blades appears to be possible, but the board must be wired according to the "Onyx" extension, also called the Onyx LED Buck Regulator. I see settings for Onyx in the Board Configuration tab in the UltraSabers Launcher, but it appears that it needs specific wiring to work.

The Onyx section of the manual states the following (mentioning cross sabers and double-bladed sabers specifically):

...capability can be extended at up to 0.7A / channel or 1.0 A / channel by using the Onyx buck regulator, effectively turning any accent channel into a power channel. This is useful for special configurations such as double-blade or cross-guard sabers.

So, it appears that by turning the accent LEDs into power LEDs, this type of independent control is possible. I'm not well versed in wiring and even if I was, I'm not interested in voiding the warranty. I suppose I'll contact UltraSabers and see if this is an approved modification they are willing to facilitate.

I want this functionality for a few effects in my "Son of Darkness" font. Since I didn't see any options for Onyx in the ordering process, I imagine that most saber owners don't have it. Therefore, I will not delay release of the font to incorporate it.

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 12:35:33 PM »

Alright, I tried messing with all of the accent channels, except channel 4, which is assigned to the battery monitor. In short, they do nothing. They do nothing together or separately. Accent LED # 1 controls the illuminated AV switch, and that's it.

However, reading the Diamond manual under the resources tab of the UltraSabers Launcher; independent control of the side blades appears to be possible, but the board must be wired according to the "Onyx" extension, also called the Onyx LED Buck Regulator. I see settings for Onyx in the Board Configuration tab in the UltraSabers Launcher, but it appears that it needs specific wiring to work.

The Onyx section of the manual states the following (mentioning cross sabers and double-bladed sabers specifically):

So, it appears that by turning the accent LEDs into power LEDs, this type of independent control is possible. I'm not well versed in wiring and even if I was, I'm not interested in voiding the warranty. I suppose I'll contact UltraSabers and see if this is an approved modification they are willing to facilitate.

I want this functionality for a few effects in my "Son of Darkness" font. Since I didn't see any options for Onyx in the ordering process, I imagine that most saber owners don't have it. Therefore, I will not delay release of the font to incorporate it.

I'm definitely following this thread and I look forward to seeing if US will make it happen or not.

Racona Nova
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2018, 06:07:46 PM »

Me too. I'm really interested what they say!

Sig by Master Nero

Dark Path Media
Knight Captain

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2018, 04:14:29 PM »

Quick update:

Marlena just got back to me and said the UltraSabers technicians are actually looking into this right now. She said they are all "giddy" about it actually. I figure that's good news.

I'll keep you updated.

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2018, 04:29:28 PM »

Quick update:

Marlena just got back to me and said the UltraSabers technicians are actually looking into this right now. She said they are all "giddy" about it actually. I figure that's good news.

I'll keep you updated.

And this is one of many reasons why UltraSabers is a great company. They like to engage with us and work to achieve our goals. I look forward to hearing back from you and Marlena

Dark Path Media
Knight Captain

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2018, 08:18:57 PM »

Quick update... I have been informed that the UltraSabers technicians were successful making this work  Smiley

They're not certain what to do with it yet, i.e. whether or not they are going to offer it as a choice in the ordering process for Crossguard sabers, offer a conversion service, or not offer it at all. Admittedly, it's probably a nitch thing that will likely not be widely desired.

Marlena said that for the side blades to behave independently from the main blade via converting accent LEDs to Power LEDs, the light/LED automation must also be configured independently in the Launcher software. It makes sense, and while a bit more work; I think it would be well worth it.

I let Marlena know that I'd be happy to beta-test this functionality, should they want to allow that.

Golden Fedora
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 564

The Grey Prophet

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2018, 01:05:20 AM »

I just found this thread. This would be an incredible addition to the US crossguard sabers, I'm sure the price will go up quite a bit, but I think people will be more than willing to buy such a cool upgrade.

"Easy is the path to wisdom for those only not blinded by themselves."

-Broadside

Dark Path Media
Knight Captain

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2018, 09:00:38 PM »

I just found this thread. This would be an incredible addition to the US crossguard sabers, I'm sure the price will go up quite a bit, but I think people will be more than willing to buy such a cool upgrade.
Agreed 100%. I'd love to mess around with that.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: