Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Write to Board versus Save to Font?  (Read 2256 times)
R5D4
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 20

« on: September 29, 2018, 10:49:21 AM »

I've been getting to grips with the Diamond Controller advanced edit software, but I can't figure out the difference between Write to Board and Save to Font. Both options are side by side in the effect edit window. Write to Board evidently uploads the latest changes to that effect to the board so that it will be there once you disconnect, and you can see a little status window popup while it does it, but Save to Font doesn't seem to do anything.

I keep all my fonts backed up on my computer, and my understanding is that if I want to save changes to the complete font package on the computer, I need to go to the Write option at the bottom of the effects list and click Save Font. But on the saber itself, surely once I've written an effect to the board, it becomes part of the font on the saber that I've written it to. So again, what does Save to Font actually do that's different?

Any thoughts or advice welcome. Thanks. Smiley

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 06:40:58 PM »

I think you mean the Apply to Font button, right? Well, it does the following:

Once you set up one effect (let's say your power up), you set your colour and your blade behaviour (flicker, instable flicker, whatever). Then you apply your sounds to the effect. Once you write it, it's on your saber. I see that's clear to you.

Now, if you decide to change the blade behaviour or colour or whatever, instead of setting up the font from scratch, you can just do the changes and then click "Apply to Font" which saves the changes to the saber, but it doesn't upload the whole font again.

I don't have a Diamond myself and thus I haven't done that yet, but from what I read and heard about Diamond, I'm pretty sure this is what "Apply to Font" does.

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

ktulu1347
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: 87

Nerd for 3 decades plus and darn proud of it

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2018, 07:03:48 PM »

"Apply to Font" is a sort of intermediate step during editing.  When you click that button it saves the changes you've made to that effect to the "work" font that's being edited at present and closes the editor window.  When you hit the "Save Font" button on the "Write Font" tab it saves the temporary "work" font to a file of your choosing.  The other way out of the effect editor window is the "Cancel" button which throws up a warning asking/reminding that this action will discard all changes to the effect being edited.

Personally I don't use "Write to Board" much, doing most of my editing offline and only connecting a saber if necessary to test the effects before saving the font to my hard drive and then writing the saved font to the board in one fell swoop.  Everyone has their own way of doing it, there's no right or wrong answer but instead many possible solutions.  Hours of fun await you as you tinker with things, my only recommendation is to save often!  Enjoy and good luck!

Edited to add: awesome username R5!  Point for that!

"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain."

Rashimotosan
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 50

Use your moments of weakness to find your power.

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 11:18:39 PM »

There is an apply to font which does what Racona says. But, and it's been a while since I tinkered with my diamond, there is also I think a save font button. This is useful if you have a set of sounds or a sound font set up currently on your saber or that you designed that you like, you can save it to your computer to reload again. I also do this as a backup method. Sometimes I like a setting and before I change or experiment with something new, I'll save it so if I mess anything up I can reload what I had and start over. You can do the same thing if you change a light and sound setting there's a save option to save that set.

Write to board writes it and puts the settings on the board but if you mess up and want to go back, reloading to default may not bring back your former custom settings. It's like printing a page without saving.

I hope we all helped!

Bruh, this isn't even my final form.

(I like my force like I like my checkbook...balanced)

BatMike90
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -793

Dark (Knight) Side Points.

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 09:59:23 AM »

I think you mean the Apply to Font button, right? Well, it does the following:

Once you set up one effect (let's say your power up), you set your colour and your blade behaviour (flicker, instable flicker, whatever). Then you apply your sounds to the effect. Once you write it, it's on your saber. I see that's clear to you.

Now, if you decide to change the blade behaviour or colour or whatever, instead of setting up the font from scratch, you can just do the changes and then click "Apply to Font" which saves the changes to the saber, but it doesn't upload the whole font again.

I don't have a Diamond myself and thus I haven't done that yet, but from what I read and heard about Diamond, I'm pretty sure this is what "Apply to Font" does.

This sums it up nicely but it is Write to Board.
I have two Diamond Controller sabers.

Arsenel:
RGBW DIAMOND: Archon v3.1 / Dominicide / Graflex SE /  Guardian
V4 SOUND : Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Emperor's Hand
STUNT: Aeon v4 / Bellicose / Dark Apprentice v4 (x2) / Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Phantom Initiate V4 / Prophecy v3 / Renegade LE / Scorpion (x2)
Star Wars Cosplay Alias:
Merik Wolfe (Jedi Knight) / Darth Marcotus (Sith Warrior)
BatMike90's Soundfonts

Rashimotosan
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 50

Use your moments of weakness to find your power.

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2018, 11:53:04 AM »

There is also, however, a "save font" button in the advance editor. (I went back and checked). You should also definitely check out the manual. It'll be super helpful on this.

http://rsxengineering.com/saber_resources/Diamond_UserManual.pdf

Page 20 is what you're looking for.

Bruh, this isn't even my final form.

(I like my force like I like my checkbook...balanced)

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2018, 08:07:55 PM »

This sums it up nicely but it is Write to Board.
I have two Diamond Controller sabers.

Oh yeah, my bad. Just read through the manual, you're right. "Apply to Font" saves any changes you've made in the Effects Editor into the selected font. That means you don't have to save every single effect to a file first and then load it into the font.

See, even I make mistakes although I'm quite familiar with all the boards - except Diamond Tongue

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

R5D4
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 20

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2018, 09:21:18 PM »

Thanks guys. Much appreciated. Smiley
Yes, it was indeed "Apply to font" that I meant. My mistake.
And yes, that's starting to make sense. I hadn't spotted the bit of the manual that talks about it. Thanks for pointing me towards it Rashim. (y) Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: