Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: So we don't want options?  (Read 1802 times)
skribs
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 151

« on: September 29, 2018, 05:59:48 PM »

I just watched the video for the v5 sabers.  Emory kept saying "we hear you, we listened to you" about how AV switches and windows are standard on the v5, with no option for Windowless or for Guarded switches.

Who was it that said there should be no guarded switches and no windowless sabers?  I'm all for them making it an even price instead of a paid upgrade, but why can't I have guarded switches on a v5 if I want it?  I much prefer the guarded switches on my stunt sabers (and so do most of my students) so I don't really see this as an upgrade.

chalion
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 279

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 11:17:48 PM »

I just watched the video for the v5 sabers.  Emory kept saying "we hear you, we listened to you" about how AV switches and windows are standard on the v5, with no option for Windowless or for Guarded switches.

Who was it that said there should be no guarded switches and no windowless sabers?  I'm all for them making it an even price instead of a paid upgrade, but why can't I have guarded switches on a v5 if I want it?  I much prefer the guarded switches on my stunt sabers (and so do most of my students) so I don't really see this as an upgrade.

Well, you can always ask if UltraSabers is willing to put one on instead of the AV switch. Since the guarded switch uses a smaller hole for mounting, it may change the cost and delivery time, but to make a standardization for the V5's simplifies production since they can make many blank hilts and have them ready for the electronics.

Sounds like good fiscal sense to me.

26 diamond lightsaber and counting

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2018, 11:20:15 PM »

Hi.  Then it's a good thing that you have v2, 3 and 4 choices.  I'm guessing that this is a case for majority rules as per requests on a very long thread over the years... and will leave it at that.  Personally I am pleased not have to pay extra for the av switch.  Generally I would order windows but not always.  The v3 Aeon/Dominix and the Sentinel v4 have  more recently become my go to favorites for both dueling and customization.  Mostly liking the v5 lines in the AN/DX/Initiate.  Will need to get hands on feedback from others first.  Smiley

chalion
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 12:07:43 AM »

D7, which is why I was happily able to get a presale of the Dark Apprentice V5. If I can buckle down and get the DA LE V5 and it's non-anodized sibling, I will do so. From an ascetic viewpoint, AV switch standard just makes the overall hilt look wonderful.

I can understand and commiserate with skribs though, since in combat, the AV switches are annoying because you just have the button switch off and lose blade light and/or sound.

imgumby001dammit
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 642

The Mighty, Mighty GUM

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 12:14:41 AM »

All I can say is I’m happy to have windows. I love windows, I need windows, windows are she shnit. AV switches are nice, but I love windows.

“Someday I will be the most powerful Jedi ever...”

AS

Edon Bluewolf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1271

Light side points please

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2018, 12:21:26 AM »

All I can say is I’m happy to have windows. I love windows, I need windows, windows are she shnit. AV switches are nice, but I love windows.

Totally agree with this sentiment.  Wink

“Your focus determines your reality.” – Qui-Gon Jinn

chalion
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2018, 12:27:38 AM »

Totally agree with this sentiment.  Wink

same same.

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2018, 01:01:49 AM »

I can understand and commiserate with skribs though, since in combat, the AV switches are annoying because you just have the button switch off and lose blade light and/or sound.

Hi.  Sorry but am not understanding what you are saying here.  I have found that the av button when depressed usually stays down nicely even when one's hand may be over it.  I have one saber when US first offered this switch that was more sensitive and released a bit too easily.  The higher guarded switch has a slight lead for this area... but generally the black plastic ring esthetically doesn't look good and can chip with wear or impact strikes.  

With these recessed Sentinel cathedral styled windows and even the Aeon flared small claws.... I don't really consider either as being  optimal dueling sabers.  But it is great to have more choices in those lines.  Smiley

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2018, 01:27:45 AM »

It's one of those things where they can't please everyone all the time. Like D7 said, they listened to the majority. A lot of people prefer the AV switches, but you're far from the first person I've seen say they prefer guarded switches. (I've intentionally purchased and built sabers with both, so I have no preference) Windows are usually a popular feature, but there are people who don't go for them. I also suspect the Windows being incorporated into the design more so than the V4s is probably why they're standard. However, considering that a stunt single color Sentinel LE V5 is $85, and a stunt single color Sentinel LE V4 with windows and an AV is $100, I think most people won't complain about these features being standard.

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2786

Grey Assassin

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2018, 02:04:27 AM »

It’s not one person who made it a standard but a vast majority that he asked for it over the years. I for one voted for it along with Windows but just like most have said, you can always order them with anguarded switch or order the older generation sabers.

SFD is correct, whether US goes with one option while leaving the other out, there’s going to be people who aren’t happy. Their aim is for the vast majority but one can always ask for a “custom” saber.

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2018, 04:09:33 AM »

It’s not one person who made it a standard but a vast majority that he asked for it over the years. I for one voted for it along with Windows but just like most have said, you can always order them with anguarded switch or order the older generation sabers.

SFD is correct, whether US goes with one option while leaving the other out, there’s going to be people who aren’t happy. Their aim is for the vast majority but one can always ask for a “custom” saber.

I'm not yet sure that it has been established that US will for an extra cost drill a different sized hole for a guarded switch on the v5.  Most likely they will be available exactly as they have been designed.  The only options for additional costs will be ordering claws in different colors ie: black Initiate with gold claws on emitter/pommel, adding a covertec wheel in the color of your choosing and a MHS pommel swap out.

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2018, 04:12:11 AM »

Likely, they come from the machine shop with the AV hole already drilled. In fact, I think Emory actually mentioned that in the video. On some hilts, US will open up the guarded switch hole to make it an AV hole, but there's no doing the reverse.

Obese Wan Kenobese
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 338

Fretful Instigator of the Prismatic Order

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2018, 01:51:37 PM »

I have stuntsabers with guarded and the av switch. Both are latching. Both get bumped and make the light flick or turn off. I haven't found that the guarded switch has anything preferable or is less likely to get hit. The edge of the av switch seems raised as much as the guard.

For mine with sound, I know the momentary switches can turn on easier, and the boards take holding it longer to turn off, which is preferable so it won't turn off by accident. The guarded switch on my first sound sabers gets bumped a lot, leading to lock up mode when I don't want it. I wrapped them with silicone wrap to make them less likely to get bumped. It has seemed less of a problem with the av with sound.

Selfish passion is unquenching.
What strength have you when you are a slave to your passions?
What power without strength of character?
To self centered rage, you will be chained.
The dark side is no victory.

The long path to peace is through balanced emotions.
The first step to gaining knowledge is recognizing your own ignorance.
Serenity is patient, not passionate satisfaction.
Find harmony by understanding chaos.
Become one with the force, which will never die.

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2786

Grey Assassin

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2018, 01:57:56 PM »

I have stuntsabers with guarded and the av switch. Both are latching. Both get bumped and make the light flick or turn off. I haven't found that the guarded switch has anything preferable or is less likely to get hit. The edge of the av switch seems raised as much as the guard.

For mine with sound, I know the momentary switches can turn on easier, and the boards take holding it longer to turn off, which is preferable so it won't turn off by accident. The guarded switch on my first sound sabers gets bumped a lot, leading to lock up mode when I don't want it. I wrapped them with silicone wrap to make them less likely to get bumped. It has seemed less of a problem with the av with sound.

I have stunts with AV switches and uses to have  guarded switches until I converted them is AV. I prefer ones with AVs since they seem less likely to turn off (momentary). I’ve actially snagged the plastic ring of a guarded switch and nearly ripped it out of the saber.

skribs
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 151

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2018, 05:35:49 AM »

People asked for it to be standard because it wasn't standard.  It's not like there's a huge clamor for features we already have.

Now we have less options, so people can have a "standard".  I've talked with others, and a lot of my friends prefer the guarded switch as well.  It's easier to feel the on and off of it.  It's a more tactile response than the AV switch, which just feels spongy.  The click of the guarded switch is much more pronounced.

You guys who prefer AV switches - good for you.  Previously, you could have one, for a little extra.  Now, you can still have them, but I can't have the guarded switch.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: