Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
Author Topic: Times you felt sorry for things you did to your characters  (Read 16863 times)
TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2018, 11:29:47 PM »

I’m so glad this topic is getting so much love! I feel like I’m learning so much about all of you as writers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is indeed a fantastic topic LR!  Thank you for posting it  Smiley

Honestly, I canNOT recommend to you enough that you read each authors' stories.  I think I can say impartially that those are superior to many canon books, comics, and even movies.  I am humbled by the collective works in the Fan Fiction Section and consider them among my most favorite stories.  Ever  Cheesy

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2018, 12:17:33 AM »

Beyond that?  Probably the star-crossed romance of Talia and Illian, and how it ended.  But as LSG pointed out, these kinds of things happen in life.  Not writing them makes your stories utopian.  One of my favorite SciFi series is written by David Weber, around a character named Honor Harrington.  I won't give away tons of spoilers, but I will say that many of the prominent characters he develops eventually get killed.  Not all ... but many.  Its painful, but it adds the grit of reality to the story.

The key is to use it well.  I always felt like I didn't get enough out of Illian's death.  That whole story, Zealots, was not as well plotted and planned as I would like.  Just a bit to rushed....
And that's the real regret.  :-)   Not that they die ... but that they don't die well....

I love what you have done with Karmack. He is such a great character, and has developed so much since We Are Gray. I think the fact that you are willing to damage him both physically and mentally like you are doing is the mark of a truly great writer.

As for Illian, I hated not only to see him go, but for him to go in that way. And that is exactly why I love his death so much. And then the fact that you basically glossed over it for a while, and then brought it down in both Karm and Talia's lives at around the same time was absolutely beautiful. Yes, Zealots was a bit of a mess, but like LSG said, that is definitely a part of what makes it so good and realistic.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1055

I leave my alignment to Fate-whether Light or Dark

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2018, 04:15:47 PM »

This is indeed a fantastic topic LR!  Thank you for posting it  Smiley

Honestly, I canNOT recommend to you enough that you read each authors' stories.  I think I can say impartially that those are superior to many canon books, comics, and even movies.  I am humbled by the collective works in the Fan Fiction Section and consider them among my most favorite stories.  Ever  Cheesy
You’re welcome! I was sitting here writing things that I know are going to end terribly (doesn’t help that this is the point in the story where everything really begins to go awry) and so it’s reassuring to hear about other authors’ experiences with the same thing.

And I knoooooow! I’m just so busy right now I barely have time for my own story. I’m a full time Master’s Student and it’s currently midterms week. I have a list going of the things I need to read lol. Is there a specific order I should do? I know a couple of the things are part of a series...

My Sabers: I'mma make a link eventually. list doesn't fit in sig any more Sad

Author of: Only Light Can Cast Shadow A pre-KotOR Fem!Revan Fic

Twisted Morality (Part III of "Only Light Can Cast Shadow")

I leave my alignment to fate--Light or Dark

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2018, 04:21:24 PM »

I love what you have done with Karmack. He is such a great character, and has developed so much since We Are Gray. I think the fact that you are willing to damage him both physically and mentally like you are doing is the mark of a truly great writer.

As for Illian, I hated not only to see him go, but for him to go in that way. And that is exactly why I love his death so much. And then the fact that you basically glossed over it for a while, and then brought it down in both Karm and Talia's lives at around the same time was absolutely beautiful. Yes, Zealots was a bit of a mess, but like LSG said, that is definitely a part of what makes it so good and realistic.

Well, thank you.  I appreciate the encouragement, and I'll do my best to keep it real.  :-)

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Golden Fedora
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 564

The Grey Prophet

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2018, 04:45:41 PM »

I need to read some of your work Karmack, it sounds really interesting.

"Easy is the path to wisdom for those only not blinded by themselves."

-Broadside

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2018, 04:54:50 PM »

You’re welcome! I was sitting here writing things that I know are going to end terribly (doesn’t help that this is the point in the story where everything really begins to go awry) and so it’s reassuring to hear about other authors’ experiences with the same thing.

And I knoooooow! I’m just so busy right now I barely have time for my own story. I’m a full time Master’s Student and it’s currently midterms week. I have a list going of the things I need to read lol. Is there a specific order I should do? I know a couple of the things are part of a series...

I can relate with post-grad and midterms  Wink

For specific order, I'd read it thusly:  Karm's "We Are Gray" then his "Hide and Seek"   Then I'd start with LSG's "Children of the Aether" and TR's "Shadow of the Outcast"  Next, I'd suggest "Tarnished Knight" and then "Wind Chimes/Shadow Etude" (they are companion pieces).  Next would be "Orphan of the Aether" followed by "Legacy of the Aether"  And then, in particular order: "The Gray and Unchained"  "Zealots"  and then "Reunion"  After that, "Fate of the Aether" "Brothers" (can be followed up by "War Journals" for more details for the "Brothers" characters), "Jokers Wild" and finally culminating with "What You Leave Behind."  Somewhat more "stand-alone" are "Schisms" and "Storms of Exodus" although chronologically "Schisms" follows the events of "Fate of the Aether" indirectly.  

Whew!  And although it looks daunting, I can virtually guarantee that you'll be VERY glad that you read the stories like that (the shared continuity REALLY bringing each author's "A" game  Smiley).  Point of fact, I would HIGHLY recommend that for EVERYONE reading!  These gentlemen (and ladies  Smiley) have shared some truly remarkable narratives!

I need to read some of your work Karmack, it sounds really interesting.
Oh GF, believe me, his stories ARE really interesting  Cheesy

You will NOT be disappointed!

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Golden Fedora
Knight Commander

The Grey Prophet

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2018, 04:56:49 PM »

I can relate with post-grad and midterms  Wink

For specific order, I'd read it thusly:  Karm's "We Are Gray" then his "Hide and Seek"   Then I'd start with LSG's "Children of the Aether" and TR's "Shadow of the Outcast"  Next, I'd suggest "Tarnished Knight" and then "Wind Chimes/Shadow Etude" (they are companion pieces).  Next would be "Orphan of the Aether" followed by "Legacy of the Aether"  And then, in particular order: "The Gray and Unchained"  "Zealots"  and then "Reunion"  After that, "Fate of the Aether" "Brothers" (can be followed up by "War Journals" for more details for the "Brothers" characters), "Jokers Wild" and finally culminating with "What You Leave Behind."  Somewhat more "stand-alone" are "Schisms" and "Storms of Exodus" although chronologically "Schisms" follows the events of "Fate of the Aether" indirectly. 

Whew!  And although it looks daunting, I can virtually guarantee that you'll be VERY glad that you read the stories like that (the shared continuity REALLY bringing each author's "A" game  Smiley).  Point of fact, I would HIGHLY recommend that for EVERYONE reading!  These gentlemen (and ladies  Smiley) have shared some truly remarkable narratives!
Oh GF, believe me, his stories ARE really interesting  Cheesy

Well...

I have a lot of reading ahead of me. and thanks for the list Dutchman, this will really help me. point!

-Broadside

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2018, 05:23:53 PM »

For specific order, I'd read it thusly:  Karm's "We Are Gray" then his "Hide and Seek"   Then I'd start with LSG's "Children of the Aether" and TR's "Shadow of the Outcast"  Next, I'd suggest "Tarnished Knight" and then "Wind Chimes/Shadow Etude" (they are companion pieces).  Next would be "Orphan of the Aether" followed by "Legacy of the Aether"  And then, in particular order: "The Gray and Unchained"  "Zealots"  and then "Reunion"  After that, "Fate of the Aether" "Brothers" (can be followed up by "War Journals" for more details for the "Brothers" characters), "Jokers Wild" and finally culminating with "What You Leave Behind."  Somewhat more "stand-alone" are "Schisms" and "Storms of Exodus" although chronologically "Schisms" follows the events of "Fate of the Aether" indirectly.  

Goodness!  I had no idea we'd accumulated such a library!  :-)   Nice list, and that is indeed the best reading order.

GF, don't feel overwhelmed or obligated, but do enjoy!  :-)

Golden Fedora
Knight Commander

The Grey Prophet

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2018, 07:17:03 PM »

I will! and I am about to post the intro to my own story, Invictus

-Broadside

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2018, 09:11:53 PM »

I will! and I am about to post the intro to my own story, Invictus
I’ll have to add yours to the list then too in between all of the other reading! I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2018, 09:40:50 PM »

I can relate with post-grad and midterms  Wink

Whew!  And although it looks daunting, I can virtually guarantee that you'll be VERY glad that you read the stories like that (the shared continuity REALLY bringing each author's "A" game  Smiley).  Point of fact, I would HIGHLY recommend that for EVERYONE reading!  These gentlemen (and ladies  Smiley) have shared some truly remarkable narratives!
Oh GF, believe me, his stories ARE really interesting  Cheesy

Another way of looking at it is chronologically with SW universe.

Clone Wars Era

For Tyeth New series

Zyns untouchable series currently in progress

Galactic Civil War/Empire Era

The Stories about Karmack and Zearic (We Are gray, Hide and Seek, Tarnished Knight, Shadow Etude, Wind Chimes, Zealots, Reunion, Gray and Unchained, Jokers)  These joint arcs culminate in What You Leave Behind which is currently in progress.

Taegins Shadow of the Outcast which has some cross over with Zearic character.

Drunken Consular Brothers and War Journals which also crosses over with the Zearic family of characters.

Old Republic Era

Shadow Exodus which takes place at the end of the New Sith Wars (c. 1000BBY Darth Banes era)

The Aether Series (Children, Orphan, Legacy and Fate - see first post of Fate for a detailed list and other interludes) For those wondering Aether is what the protagonist race the Aethans call the Force.

Schisms Vhal Dan civil War - history of Zearics Grey Order of Knights occurs in line with the Aether series and continues past and crosses over with it.  

There is some overlap between the two era's developing in What You Leave Behind as well.

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Golden Fedora
Knight Commander

The Grey Prophet

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2018, 10:44:40 PM »

And the one I just posted, Invictus, that is taking place about 70 A.B.Y. after the First Order/Resistance era. I look forward to attempting to tie my writings into all of your amazing stories.

-Broadside

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2018, 12:56:09 AM »

Another way of looking at it is chronologically with SW universe.

Clone Wars Era

For Tyeth New series

Zyns untouchable series currently in progress

Galactic Civil War/Empire Era

The Stories about Karmack and Zearic (We Are gray, Hide and Seek, Tarnished Knight, Shadow Etude, Wind Chimes, Zealots, Reunion, Gray and Unchained, Jokers)  These joint arcs culminate in What You Leave Behind which is currently in progress.

Taegins Shadow of the Outcast which has some cross over with Zearic character.

Drunken Consular Brothers and War Journals which also crosses over with the Zearic family of characters.

Old Republic Era

Shadow Exodus which takes place at the end of the New Sith Wars (c. 1000BBY Darth Banes era)

The Aether Series (Children, Orphan, Legacy and Fate - see first post of Fate for a detailed list and other interludes) For those wondering Aether is what the protagonist race the Aethans call the Force.

Schisms Vhal Dan civil War - history of Zearics Grey Order of Knights occurs in line with the Aether series and continues past and crosses over with it. 

There is some overlap between the two era's developing in What You Leave Behind as well.

And the one I just posted, Invictus, that is taking place about 70 A.B.Y. after the First Order/Resistance era. I look forward to attempting to tie my writings into all of your amazing stories.

Oh wow! I guess I’m technically first, chronologically speaking then. Currently 3963 B.B.Y. Current chapter covers battle of Serrocco and the Adasca Affair.... And Halin is finally going to take up the mask.

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2018, 01:18:19 PM »

Yup.  I don't think anything except maybe an interlude or two goes back further.  I wrote an Interlude that hinted at the very beginnings of the Mak'Tor once, set on Coruscant before the planet was covered by city.   That was WAAAAAY back.   But as I said, it was only an interlude, not a real story.  Smiley

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2018, 03:46:39 PM »

Oh wow! I guess I’m technically first, chronologically speaking then. Currently 3963 B.B.Y. Current chapter covers battle of Serrocco and the Adasca Affair.... And Halin is finally going to take up the mask.

I actually have a few ideas on how to include "Halin Chan" in the Forumverse continuity...but only if Lady Revan is OK with it  Wink

And if not: no hard feelings at all  Smiley

Either way, I'm enjoying ALL of the stories that have been posted!  Thank you one and all  Cheesy

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: