Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
Author Topic: Times you felt sorry for things you did to your characters  (Read 16867 times)
Golden Fedora
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 564

The Grey Prophet

« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2018, 06:34:41 PM »

kinda sad. I lost the drafts for my older story (the one mentioned on the last page) but I remember a lot about it so I'll try to remake it

"Easy is the path to wisdom for those only not blinded by themselves."

-Broadside

Zyn
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 63

What do I see? Light... Darkness.... Balance

« Reply #61 on: October 17, 2018, 07:17:28 PM »

kinda sad. I lost the drafts for my older story (the one mentioned on the last page) but I remember a lot about it so I'll try to remake it

Ouch. I can only recommend backups. Redundant backups if you have the means.

"The protectors of the Balance must stand on the edge of two worlds, accepted by neither, masters of both."

Butcher (Diamond) | Emperor's Hand* (BR) | Lost Gray* (SD) | Sentinel v4* (BR) | Reaper (AB) | D. Initiate (AS) | D. Apprentice LE v4 (SY) | Aeon v4 (CG) (WILLING TO TRADE) | Dark Sentinel/Aeon Staff (FO) | D. Prophecy Build Project (Pending)

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #62 on: October 17, 2018, 07:35:31 PM »

Ouch. I can only recommend backups. Redundant backups if you have the means.

I've gotten burned on this a couple of times.  I write and save my files on a thumb drive, and I make a full back-up of the thumb drive on another thumb drive every week, sometimes more often if I'm doing a lot of writing.

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #63 on: October 17, 2018, 07:41:38 PM »

Open to x-overs here, as well. Given Order 66 just dropped in my story, I'm sure Zyn would like some real Force-user company.

As a side note, I'm putting together a 4th book in my non-SW series, and I just gave one of my main characters a rather gruesome injury regarding his lower leg. Kind of feel bad about it, as he's been nothing but helpful for everyone else, but he's also been the only one I haven't truly s*** on in this series. Don't want him feeling left out or anything  Cheesy

Actually, withing the first year after the Purge, I could do something. After that, everything is either ~0-5 ABY (GCW era). I would love to do some crossovers sometime, but I really really need to finish SotO before I start with anything big.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Zyn
Knight Templar

« Reply #64 on: October 18, 2018, 11:55:07 AM »

I've gotten burned on this a couple of times.  I write and save my files on a thumb drive, and I make a full back-up of the thumb drive on another thumb drive every week, sometimes more often if I'm doing a lot of writing.

I normally do my writing away from home (read: in my spare time at work), so everything I have is on a jump drive which I keep on me at all times. I do daily dumps to my home machine, as well as to an external drive, and an internet-based service (shout out to Evernote for having my back!)

Can never be too careful when it comes to technology

"The protectors of the Balance must stand on the edge of two worlds, accepted by neither, masters of both."

Butcher (Diamond) | Emperor's Hand* (BR) | Lost Gray* (SD) | Sentinel v4* (BR) | Reaper (AB) | D. Initiate (AS) | D. Apprentice LE v4 (SY) | Aeon v4 (CG) (WILLING TO TRADE) | Dark Sentinel/Aeon Staff (FO) | D. Prophecy Build Project (Pending)

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1055

I leave my alignment to Fate-whether Light or Dark

« Reply #65 on: October 18, 2018, 01:16:30 PM »

I normally do my writing away from home (read: in my spare time at work), so everything I have is on a jump drive which I keep on me at all times. I do daily dumps to my home machine, as well as to an external drive, and an internet-based service (shout out to Evernote for having my back!)

Even with Paper instead of technology you still have to be careful. My epic Phantom of the Opera fanfic I co-authored with my best friend was a paper draft, 2 inch notebook handwritten that needed to be transferred because it was overflowing... and one day it just disappeared. I’m convinced my mom took it and got rid of it, but she still denies any involvement.

I contacted my friend and made her come up with an ending with me so I could be at peace knowing how the story would have ended. So my main character was stabbed to death by the rape child she’d abandoned at an orphanage 8 years prior (yes, the kid was 8 years old when he killed his own mother) who had been picked up by the man who murdered her father and had been stalking her her entire life. She was trying to finally come to terms with everything, but the kid didn’t understand any of that—only that she had abandoned him and never forgave her for it. My friend’s main character then, in a fit of rage, chases them fleeing the country and murders both the man and the kid. When he returns, his crimes are discovered and he’s finally captured and given a public execution (which in 19th century France means guillotine) (he was wanted for several other things before this too)

....and that whole story is probably some of the darkest stuff I’ve ever done to characters, even to get them to a point where that could have been their end. My mind scares me sometimes....

My Sabers: I'mma make a link eventually. list doesn't fit in sig any more Sad

Author of: Only Light Can Cast Shadow A pre-KotOR Fem!Revan Fic

Twisted Morality (Part III of "Only Light Can Cast Shadow")

I leave my alignment to fate--Light or Dark

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #66 on: October 18, 2018, 05:09:36 PM »

I use Google Docs for writing. Basically Word but can be accessed anywhere anytime. Plus I would have to buy Word if I wanted to use it now (not worth the money). My sister uses Evernote, but I don't care for it that much.

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #67 on: October 18, 2018, 05:21:31 PM »

Much like my process.  When I get busy at work (like now) it can also be very frustrating, though, because I don't seem to get anything done!  LOL

Zyn
Knight Templar

« Reply #68 on: October 18, 2018, 05:24:56 PM »

My sister uses Evernote, but I don't care for it that much.

The only thing I use it for is a Dropbox substitute. I do all my writing w/ Word (still have an only version I don't have to pay monthly for) or on Google Docs with my Chromebook, but I always copy it to my flash drive, my home machine, and Evernote

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1557

I Survive through the Force.

« Reply #69 on: October 18, 2018, 05:31:38 PM »

Hi Everyone,

Slightly off topic but may I suggest getting LibreOffice to do your writing on?
It is a full office suite of software (Word Processor, Spreadsheet, Database and Graphic Design/Desktop Publishing programs) and is TOTALLY free, does 99% of what MS Office does and the best part it is updated regularly.

It uses Open Document Format so files created with it should work in most of the other available processors. But maybe for the busy people who write when they travel, there is a Portable version that can be stored on a USB stick or mobile device.

I use LibreOffice all the time and actually passed some Microsoft Office courses using it!

Zyn
Knight Templar

« Reply #70 on: October 18, 2018, 07:29:34 PM »

Hi Everyone,

Slightly off topic but may I suggest getting LibreOffice to do your writing on?
It is a full office suite of software (Word Processor, Spreadsheet, Database and Graphic Design/Desktop Publishing programs) and is TOTALLY free, does 99% of what MS Office does and the best part it is updated regularly.

It uses Open Document Format so files created with it should work in most of the other available processors. But maybe for the busy people who write when they travel, there is a Portable version that can be stored on a USB stick or mobile device.

I use LibreOffice all the time and actually passed some Microsoft Office courses using it!

Kingsoft does the same thing. 99.99% Office, it's free, and has not problem opening, using, and saving Office docs

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #71 on: October 18, 2018, 08:16:00 PM »

Yeah, I'm afraid I can't add anything to this discussion.  My nephew works for Microsoft, so...    *shrugs*

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1557

I Survive through the Force.

« Reply #72 on: October 18, 2018, 08:24:26 PM »

Hi Karmack,

Don't worry I'm not knocking MS Office (or 365 whatever they call it now) I have used both. I just have a very limited income and low specification laptop so can't afford to upgrade my machine or pay for MS licenses and so use open source quite a bit.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #73 on: October 18, 2018, 10:07:34 PM »

I do prefer Microsoft Word, unfortunately, I am not willing to spend the money on it. Google apps has basically everything you could need, and all you need is a Google account (gmail).

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #74 on: October 19, 2018, 01:42:05 PM »

I do prefer Microsoft Word, unfortunately, I am not willing to spend the money on it. Google apps has basically everything you could need, and all you need is a Google account (gmail).

Google works well.   I have also used Open Document in the past and it was very satisfactory.  I really only have Office Suite now because my nephew literally gets it for free and sends several of us in the family links to 365 to keep us current.  So ... why not?  LOL

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: