Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Complete DIY (empty hilt)  (Read 2625 times)
D4RTH N1H1LU5
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 1

« on: October 13, 2018, 07:28:49 AM »

So I am considering buying an empty show saber hilt from the other guys, and would like to make it a complete show saber with ultrasaber components. However, I have no idea what to buy and where to start. Additionally, the hilt itself from the other guys is fairly thin, any suggestions for fortification? One more thing, on this hilt, there is a detachable greebly, where a covertec recharge port can be installed, but i would like to add a covertec wheel instead and the hole for the greebly is not screw size.

Any help is much appreciated, thank you!

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 10:47:12 AM »

Inner diameter will be your largest concern.  That and length.   Check specs before laying out funds is all.... Smiley

If you don't intend to add or hook-up a recharge port, then you could just glue it on.  Krazy glue, or epoxy, or something...

Also, I'm moving this thread to the "Customization" section.  You'll most likely get a lot more input there, D4RTH N1H1LU5. Wink

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

imgumby001dammit
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 642

The Mighty, Mighty GUM

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 02:08:35 PM »

You’ll probably be better off buying a US hilt body and getting MHS compatibles from TCSS. That way you can build something unique to you, but it will all fit together and work properly. Once you have built a couple and feel like you can adequately modify and wire you could go more outside the box with a more random hilt choice and parts combo. Just a suggestion.

“Someday I will be the most powerful Jedi ever...”

AS

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 07:50:39 PM »

If you don't know where to even start, I wouldn't suggest buying parts and try assembling them together as they can appear to be pretty intimidating.  I would recommend buying either a grab bag or a mystery box so you can at least have a stunt saber to work and learn from.  Once you get something like a stunt saber, you can learn how to take it apart and put it back together before tackling something like adding sound to the saber or tackling a Frankensaber build.

I can tell you now that your biggest hurdle would be the different parts between UltraSabers and the other guys.  Prime example, other than the guarded swtich, UltraSabers' AV switches are 16mm in size while the other guys typically use 12mm.  Also, LED housing and heat sinks may be company specific so you have to pay attention to what they use.  Of course, you can always retro parts if you know about to make certain parts work. 

If you don't mind trying it out yourself then these are the typical parts:\

Emitter
LED
LED houstin
LED heatsink
main body
AV or guarded switch
Pommel
wires
battery pack/chassis
electronics other than a stunt set up (Just LED hilt and battery) so things like soundboard if any, resistors or Buck Puck, batteries like Lit-Ion and what sizes?  UltraSaber's premium soundboard, Emerald and Diamond sabers require 7.4 volts so the dual 14500 Lithium Ion batteries are a must.  The other guys use a single 18650 that outputs 3.7 volts which will work with their electronics without issue but won't power up any UltraSaber's higher end soundboard or LED drivers.

Then there's the blade: are you going for thick polycarbonate blade for dueling? Or are you going for the midgrade thick blade for better color, spinning, or show?  UltraSabers also have the UltraEdge and the regular blades as well

Resistors and BuckPuck: different colored LEDs need different resistors, otherwise, the life of the LED will be rather short since the LED itself can't handle that amount of current all at once. 

These are the few things that you need to know when putting a lightsaber together from scratch.  I may have missed some things but I'm sure that my fellow saber family will add to my list.

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 08:12:53 PM »

Another thing to consider, as mentioned above is the inside diameter
While a good number of emitters are designed for 1" blades, most of US electronics need around 1/25" in the hilt to allow enough room.
Add to that what's been said about using the other guys with Ultrasabers.
US and TCSS both use a standard called MHS, and their stuff can be used fairly well together.
The same cannot be said for US and some of the other guys

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2018, 08:17:38 PM »

Another thing to consider, as mentioned above is the inside diameter
While a good number of emitters are designed for 1" blades, most of US electronics need around 1/25" in the hilt to allow enough room.
Add to that what's been said about using the other guys with Ultrasabers.
US and TCSS both use a standard called MHS, and their stuff can be used fairly well together.
The same cannot be said for US and some of the other guys

Therion is correct, The Premium soundboards may have issues fitting into the inner diameter of some of the other guys because of that.  Quite a bit of us who's done our own customization know what would fit and what wouldn't but that's due to our experiences with putting one together or tearing one down and rebuilding it.

jray1993
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 1

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 04:09:07 AM »

So guys I am wanting to add sound to my Dark liberator v3 saber. Would the obsidian 4 fit inside the body since it is concave?

Edon Bluewolf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1271

Light side points please

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 05:42:07 AM »

If you can order it from the website with V4 sound, then yes it should fit.  Just checked the website as a mock order, and yes, therefore ipso facto a V4 will fit into a Dark Libby V3 because they start with an empty hilt and install V4 sound boards into it too...

“Your focus determines your reality.” – Qui-Gon Jinn

TR-77477
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -361

Join The Darkside ( We have cookies)

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2019, 01:14:08 PM »

I agree with whats been said already. I have modified many of my sabers externally but I am still new to the electronics. I would recommend getting a mystery box, You have the chance to get one with sound, and for 75$. This way you can practice removing the electronics and sound (if you get one) and playing with it. This way when you make a mistake, which you evidently will it wont kill your wallet. I am planning to do this exact thing soon. If it all ends in tears i will only be down 75$ and not close to 200+ for a fried board etc...

"The Jedi and Sith wield the Ashla and the Bogan, the light and the dark. I'm the one in the middle, the Bendu."

Wish list---Consular--Flamberge V2--Omen

Make-A-Wish Donations

Dark apprentice v4 with FOC and basic sound GB -- Dark Apprentice LE v4 (Grab Bag) GB
Dark Apprentice v4 (Grab bag) BR -- Dark Apprentice v4 (Grab bag) BR

Gifted

Dominix V4--- Initiate V4---Graflex SE SD---Dark Apprentice v4 GB
Dark Standard issue CG at Dcon 2018---Six Mystery Boxes at dcon 2019

MandaloriansPride
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: 60

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 11:31:48 PM »

I totally agree with everyone else. Start out with a Mystery Box or Grab Bag and modifying/dissecting those to start out. Between that and all of the tutorials on Youtube is how I started installing. 

Proud Owner of:
Graflex CE w/Diamond Controller
Spectre (Black Hilt) w/Diamond Controller
Lost Gray w/Diamond Controller
Guardian w/Emerald and Obsidian v4
Spectre w/Obsidian v4
Archon v3.1 w/Obsidian v4
Consular w/Obsidian v4
Dark Shock w/Obsidian v4
Arbiter w/Obsidian v3
Shock - installed myself
12 additional Mystery Box sabers