Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 168   Go Down
Author Topic: For Tyeth Blender 3D Concept Sabers  (Read 440543 times)
For Tyeth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1557

I Survive through the Force.

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2018, 01:35:57 AM »

Hi Everybody,

Well my "Speeder" hilt was ok but you will have noticed it lacked a blade. In an effort to learn a new function or feature each week I decided to try out the "Materials" feature that lets you model  different materials and there was a big stir in the community at the time about "Darksaber" style blades so this is what I worked on.

Blender allows you to create objects and apply a material type and fortunately there is a Transparent/Translucent choice. So I modelled a short dagger style blade (to reduce the number of polygons) and messed with the settings to make it look as if made from acrylic. First off a blue blade...

But of course I'm For Tyeth and in case you hadn't noticed I kinda like green so that was the next colour...

They seemed to work even though there are a lot of speckles of light in the rendered images. These are caused by the light simulation in Blender and cutely these speckles are nicknamed "Fireflies".
I also worked on some other none lightsaber based objects ready for the next modelling project I did and I came up with these...

Some fans of a certain Sci-Fi animation series might recognise these heads!
Thanks for looking in on this post and I'll post a more recognisable hilt in a few days time.

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2018, 10:56:03 AM »

Hey sweet For. 

Diggin' the lion heads. Wink

Have a point. Smiley

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2018, 11:14:21 AM »

Hey sweet For.  Diggin' the lion heads. Wink

Thanks Rapine, you did mention the Darksaber. I am working on illuminating the edges of the blade for a future build.

And I'm glad you recognised the Lion Heads!

Rapine
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2018, 11:22:29 AM »

Of course I did. Smiley

SFD will love 'em. Wink

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2018, 11:32:07 AM »

Hi Rapine,

I forgot SFD was into that show. It's funny as I created the Lion Heads for the younglings of another member of the saber community. I sent the 3D data file so the kids can have them printed out as desk ornaments. I also use them as a pommel for another hilt I will be posting soon  Cool

Rapine
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2018, 11:39:23 AM »

That's awesome man. Smiley

Yeah - SFD likes it alright...lol  I'm sure he's not nearly the only one though...(Prowl?)  

Very cool about the models for kids, and I really hope to see that pommel. Smiley

Another point...

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2018, 12:17:50 AM »

Hello Everybody,

I have another instalment of my design chronicles and this time it is of a very recognisable saber albeit not from Star Wars. To test how well I was progressing I was sort of challenged by a friend to make a Voltron themed hilt. Well as you saw from my previous couple of posts here I had worked on an acrylic/transparent blade so I took on the challenge. It would be another test bed to practise and hone my eye. Again I had no plans or measurements (so it may be a little off in scale) but served to help me create specific shaped objects, such as the Tsuba section. Anyhoo here are a few pics...
In the Blender workspace..

There are sections of the hilt that need tidying up but I think it looks close for a beginner. But at this point I felt like a beginner who was really beginning to get into 3D modelling! Thanks for checking these out and I'll post again in a few days time.

Golden Fedora
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 564

The Grey Prophet

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2018, 12:26:09 AM »

Looks really nice Tyeth! with some small edits, I can see a really pretty Darksaber blade. or maybe a hilt like Ezra's season 1/2 hilt (I always was partial to that hilt)

and I really like the grip, would that be leather in RL or another material?

EDIT: I just saw those above lion heads. I really like those. you had a really nice amount of detail added to those.

"Easy is the path to wisdom for those only not blinded by themselves."

-Broadside

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2018, 12:38:19 AM »

Hi Golden Fedora,

Thanks man, I had noticed the similarity to Ezra's "Stapler/Nail Gun" hybrid saber. The Darksaber blade just needs another layer of material added around the edge of the blade and then I can set the material to one that emits light. That way the core of the blade would be blue or black with the white edging. I am currently working on that now.
The material on the handgrip looks to be a hard plastic or whatever material they have in Voltron and wasn't picked for comfort as the weapon is used by the Paladins in their Robot mode (sorry don't know the technical name) But a layer of yellow foam could work or that spray can rubber sealant.

And I was worried the about the Lion Heads as they could have been any Cat like creature but the added colours for each Paladin helped  Smiley

Thanks for the comments...point coming your way.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2018, 12:42:20 AM »

Hi Golden Fedora,

Thanks man, I had noticed the similarity to Ezra's "Stapler/Nail Gun" hybrid saber.

Haha, so glad I'm not the only one who thought his saberblaster looked like a stapler. Cheesy

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2018, 12:52:32 AM »

Haha, so glad I'm not the only one who thought his saberblaster looked like a stapler. Cheesy

Hi Taegin Roan,

No we are not alone, there were quite a few people who thought the same. I remember reading all the Star Wars discussion boards where they made jokes about it. I think the replacement saber he got for Season 3 was better (the thin neck).

However I have recently built a version of that (which I posted in the "US Wishlist/What Do We Want From Ultrasabers" thread)

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2018, 08:08:06 PM »

Hello Everybody,

OK it's been a few days since I posted here so I best get on with the story. I posted the Voltron designs I made to my friend but not before I had sent a teaser image to get him guessing what it was. Well the reply I got was "Hey Tyeth, don't tell me you are making a Voltron Katana?!"
I wasn't obviously but that comment gave me an idea for an original design and so I set to work on a Voltron inspired Katana style hilt. Here is what I came up with.

The Lion Head Pommel

The Katana with Green Blade installed.

And to have a Green Blade you need a....

Yep! A green crystal! I also knocked up a basic crystal chamber to take my modelling up a level. And as the chamber is a separate module I can load it into other designs.
So this is a weapon I envisaged the Paladins could use when not piloting the Mecha Lions (sort of like a side blade to accompany their Bayards). The saber's cross section is hexagonal (partly to reduce polygons and the workload on my old laptop) to give the hilt a slightly mechanical look. It does share the same type of handgrip as my Voltron scimitar has. The flat sides would also give the owner options to add their own decoration.
At the time I built this I was still struggling with out a 3-Button Mouse (some Blender functions use all three buttons and the scroll wheel) Hopefully in my next designs you will see an improvement when I get my new mouse.

Thanks for checking this post out and....WAIT! What was that thing floating behind you just then?....we'll see in my next offering.....

Golden Fedora
Knight Commander

The Grey Prophet

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2018, 08:13:04 PM »

looks nice Tyeth. looking forward to your next design!

-Broadside

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2018, 08:21:50 PM »

Thanks Golden Fedora,

At the time I felt I needed to come up with original designs and as I felt I had a good handle on using the software it was a good time to let my mind run away and create.

And unrelated, great new avatar.....HANG ON!....there's something behind your sofa man...it's hiding...can you see it?

Golden Fedora
Knight Commander

The Grey Prophet

« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2018, 08:23:40 PM »

what is it? AAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!

thanks Tyeth. I got commander so, new rank, new me, right?

-Broadside

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 168   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: