Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 168   Go Down
Author Topic: For Tyeth Blender 3D Concept Sabers  (Read 440575 times)
Lady Revan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1055

I leave my alignment to Fate-whether Light or Dark

« Reply #150 on: November 18, 2018, 10:03:18 PM »

Hello again my Lady, you should have a good idea which droid is next...you are strong with the Force sneak peeks  Wink

Can't wait! Grin

My Sabers: I'mma make a link eventually. list doesn't fit in sig any more Sad

Author of: Only Light Can Cast Shadow A pre-KotOR Fem!Revan Fic

Twisted Morality (Part III of "Only Light Can Cast Shadow")

I leave my alignment to fate--Light or Dark

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #151 on: November 18, 2018, 11:21:02 PM »

Dude, that Imp astromech saber is hot! Great stuff.

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1557

I Survive through the Force.

« Reply #152 on: November 18, 2018, 11:40:08 PM »

Dude, that Imp astromech saber is hot! Great stuff.

Hi SFD, thanks to you also. It was around the time I built this design I started to really explore the Modifiers in Blender and as you will know they are really powerful tools for shaping objects, plus a lot quicker!
My final Astromech hilt needed me to use another function, Wireframe Mode, to achieve the design but you'll have to wait and see that post in a few days time to see why I used it.

I'm so glad you all like these hilts so far, and I'm also happy to report that R5-PHT's real life owner and builder has actually contacted me about the saber which was cool!

Thanks for all the kind words and a point is incoming.

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #153 on: November 19, 2018, 12:02:12 AM »

To be honest, I don't play around with Blender much myself, I'm more of a Lightwave person. But, a friend of mine recently released a tutorial series that may change all that. Wink But, I do know modifiers are how you perform a lot of functions in Blender. One thing I like is that you can set them up, see their results and if you like them. If you do, just apply them. If you don't, just trash them. No lengthy undo process to get rid of their effects. Smiley

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

« Reply #154 on: November 19, 2018, 12:11:39 AM »

Hi SFD,

Ah ok Lightwave, I have heard of that and Z-Brush but I'm just getting started in 3D modelling (and animation and rendering!). Modifiers really are intuitive and because they work in "Real-time" and are non-destructive makes Blender act like a giant ideas sketchpad. I love that aspect. I'd be interested in seeing what you came up with if you get into Blender... a Constitutional Class Saber maybe?  Wink

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #155 on: November 19, 2018, 01:31:44 AM »

One time, about 12 years ago, I'd built a bunch of lightsabers. I then started on the Constitution class. After I got the saucer done, I used sabers to make the engine section and warp nacelles, and jokingly posted it on a CGI forum I was a member of at that time. People got a huge kick out of it. (I later finished the Constitution class)

Lightwave is professional level software. It's been used in a lot of feature films and TV shows. However, I'm less than enamored by the render engine in Lightwave 2018. It has some bugs that should have been fixed already. Considering that I could have gotten a higher end Ultrasaber with premium sound for what I paid for the upgrade from LW10 to LW2018, I'm a bit salty about it.

Anyway, that's got me looking at Blender again. It's free and Linux compatible, both of which suit me fine. Plus, a guy I've known in the CGI scene for about 12 years or so posted a great tutorial series on building the Constitution class. One of the great things about it is that it's a tutorial for building something I care about. Plus, it's for the current version of Blender. It's a pain trying to follow a tutorial that uses an older version and things have changed.

Anyway, enough about me. Back to you and your cool sabers.

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

« Reply #156 on: November 19, 2018, 01:55:12 AM »

Plus, a guy I've known in the CGI scene for about 12 years or so posted a great tutorial series on building the Constitution class. One of the great things about it is that it's a tutorial for building something I care about. Plus, it's for the current version of Blender. It's a pain trying to follow a tutorial that uses an older version and things have changed.

Anyway, enough about me. Back to you and your cool sabers.

Hi SFD,

Hey, I enjoy chatting with other artist's about their work, it's through talking with experienced people like yourself that I have been able to learn and pick up knowledge.
And it's much easier chatting to someone than following some tutorial videos. I mentioned before the trouble I had adding the glow effects to the blades. I must have watched a dozen videos and none of the techniques described worked.

So I'd say go for it and give Blender a try, it would only cost you a little time and effort while you installed it. if you don't get on with it just delete the folder!
Thanks.

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #157 on: November 19, 2018, 02:17:50 AM »

Actually, I already have Blender installed, it's a dependency for the video editor I use.

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

« Reply #158 on: November 19, 2018, 04:16:52 PM »

Actually, I already have Blender installed, it's a dependency for the video editor I use.

I thought you mentioned you had Blender in a previous conversation we shared elsewhere. Well, if you ever come up with any new Blender builds let me know.

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

« Reply #159 on: November 20, 2018, 05:14:25 PM »

Hello Everybody,

Well he is finally here and ready to make an appearance. Astromechs can be vain and want to look their best. As some of you may have already sensed (or have seen) this hilt is based on the most famous R2 unit ever R2-D2! Ok then on to the pictures..
Build Picture 1:

Build Picture 2:

Yes this is R2-D2! Another quick colour change and I added a dome complete with sensor eye details and panelling, and he transformed from an R5 to an R2. But I hear you ask "Isn't this meant to be a saber?" and "Where is the emitter?" Yes it is, but I needed to use a clever feature known as Wireframe Mode to make it work.  This picture may help explain...
Wireframe Mode:

The emitter is the segment in the picture above highlighted in orange! The Wireframe Mode enabled me to fit it into a small space. And yes it is situated inside the dome! So that means to get this saber to work Artoo needs to "Blow his top"!..

The dome acts as the saber's Blade Plug/Protective cap and the emitter is a sort of thin neck to make it look more elegant..and lit up it looks like this...

And just as I bumped into R5-PHT at my local Comic Con, I also got to meet Artoo and he was kind enough to pose for a pic!...

That wraps up my collection of Astromechs and hopefully I saved the best till last!
Now I can move on and bring you a hilt inspired by The Last Jedi and the First Order. And as a teaser here is part of that hilt... Lips sealed

Thanks for checking out this hilt and all the great feedback and comments.

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2785

Grey Assassin

« Reply #160 on: November 20, 2018, 05:16:45 PM »

I like the saber, Tyeth.  It looks well thought out and designed and of course, it's R2!!!!!  Keep up the good work there

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

« Reply #161 on: November 20, 2018, 05:19:17 PM »

I like the saber, Tyeth.  It looks well thought out and designed and of course, it's R2!!!!!  Keep up the good work there

Thanks Infinit, I only just had chance to click back to Recent Posts and you'd commented already!

Well I appreciate the comments and I'm glad you like it. Next up is something a little different!

point on it's way.

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1055

I leave my alignment to Fate-whether Light or Dark

« Reply #162 on: November 20, 2018, 05:24:39 PM »

As I expected... IT'S ADORABLE! I love the little end cap shaped like R2's "head." It kind of reminds me of a lightsaber/pez dispenser hybrid in that way... please know I mean that as a compliment XD

My Sabers: I'mma make a link eventually. list doesn't fit in sig any more Sad

Author of: Only Light Can Cast Shadow A pre-KotOR Fem!Revan Fic

Twisted Morality (Part III of "Only Light Can Cast Shadow")

I leave my alignment to fate--Light or Dark

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

« Reply #163 on: November 20, 2018, 05:33:55 PM »

As I expected... IT'S ADORABLE! I love the little end cap shaped like R2's "head." It kind of reminds me of a lightsaber/pez dispenser hybrid in that way... please know I mean that as a compliment XD

Hello Lady Revan,

Haha! Yes R2 does resemble a PEZ now you mention it, just don't pop it and point him at your face and expect a fruity flavoured candy!
I have mentioned before these droids had so much character there were lots of details I could add to reinforce the look (and cuteness) of the hilt.

And I know you are being sincere so please accept a point in appreciation of your support!

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2785

Grey Assassin

« Reply #164 on: November 20, 2018, 05:37:10 PM »

Thanks Infinit, I only just had chance to click back to Recent Posts and you'd commented already!

Well I appreciate the comments and I'm glad you like it. Next up is something a little different!

point on it's way.

You're welcome, Tyeth. I follow your work rather closely as I am a fan.  Have a point back!

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 168   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: