Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Author Topic: Sith Names  (Read 14909 times)
Golden Fedora
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 564

The Grey Prophet

« on: October 16, 2018, 11:52:47 PM »

so I found this a few minutes ago and I found it quite interesting. It is how some of the Sith Lords chose their names. The main reason was to choose something that pained them (bad memories) ie Darth Bane was called Bane because his abusive father often called him the Bane of his existence. so Palpatine may have called Anakin "Vader" because of Anakin's unborn children. I haven't read all of it yet but here is the link if any of you want to read it.

https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/12264/how-are-sith-names-picked

"Easy is the path to wisdom for those only not blinded by themselves."

-Broadside

Golden Fedora
Knight Commander

The Grey Prophet

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 12:07:58 AM »

sorry for double post but this was one person's answer and I found it very enlightening.

The Darth names were chosen based on the character as well. Darth Vader originally came from the word Invader. Sidious = Insidious, Tyranus = Tyrant, Plagueis = Plague, etc.

Even the characters who used their actual name had a separate meaning. Bane (as shown above) was the “bane of his father’s existence”, Darth Revan = Revenge, Malak = Malicious, Talon = scary natural weapon, Darth Krayt = Terrible creature of the Star Wars universe.

The names also tended to have a secondary meaning as well. Darth Tyranus was an actual Tyrant, Sidious was an insidious planner and very cunning, Maul was a strong Sith warrior, Plagueis was powerful with virulent diseases/plagues, Darth Vader “invaded” the Jedi Order destroying it. Darth Revan originally set out to get revenge for the Jedi and Bane was not only a bane to his father, but to the Sith having instituted the rule of 2. This is just an observation I’ve noticed over the years. It’s very interesting to follow

-Broadside

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1557

I Survive through the Force.

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 12:17:20 AM »

Hi GF,

We forgive you for the double post, and did you know the word "Vader" in Dutch translates as "Father" in English?

Interesting origins for some of the names in the SW universe though!

point incoming

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2785

Grey Assassin

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 12:17:57 AM »

Thanks Fedora...  Grin I ended up reading the entire thread there since they are really interesting.  I just think that it was chosen at random since there's Darth Maul, Palpatine just gave Anakin his Sith name: Darth Vader.  Really no pattern into the names and I think it's more so my the Master or the Sith chose it themselves.

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 06:37:55 PM »

sorry for double post but this was one person's answer and I found it very enlightening.

The Darth names were chosen based on the character as well. Darth Vader originally came from the word Invader. Sidious = Insidious, Tyranus = Tyrant, Plagueis = Plague, etc.

Even the characters who used their actual name had a separate meaning. Bane (as shown above) was the “bane of his father’s existence”, Darth Revan = Revenge, Malak = Malicious, Talon = scary natural weapon, Darth Krayt = Terrible creature of the Star Wars universe.

The names also tended to have a secondary meaning as well. Darth Tyranus was an actual Tyrant, Sidious was an insidious planner and very cunning, Maul was a strong Sith warrior, Plagueis was powerful with virulent diseases/plagues, Darth Vader “invaded” the Jedi Order destroying it. Darth Revan originally set out to get revenge for the Jedi and Bane was not only a bane to his father, but to the Sith having instituted the rule of 2. This is just an observation I’ve noticed over the years. It’s very interesting to follow
I was interested in this as well.

For my own character Gaetana/Darth Mendax, she's so named since she's a liar; "mendax" is the latin translation for such  Wink

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Golden Fedora
Knight Commander

The Grey Prophet

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2018, 02:08:54 PM »

I was interested in this as well.

For my own character Gaetana/Darth Mendax, she's so named since she's a liar; "mendax" is the latin translation for such  Wink

That really cool. in my story, Tyr's last name (Invictus) means undefeated. (mentioned in the story) and he gained it after defeating an undefeatable enemy.

-Broadside

jldavi
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 24

The Force will be with you. Always.

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 10:08:33 PM »

I find Sith naming super interesting, but some of them are a bit over the top, imo. Scourge for instance... not a huge fan of the character or name. Just seems a bit too "mwahaha I'm a villain". I like Bane because of the back story, and some of the more subtle ones are great. A lot of people forget that Malak started as Alek, so he's another example of a Sith choosing their name. Wish we had more info on some of the dark side legends characters.

Sabers:
Stunts -- Sentinel GB, Dark Apprentice R, Apprentice V4 R, Dominix V3 O, Initiate V4 LE Arctic GB/CG Staff, Dark Standard Issue AB, Archon V3 CG

Sound --
Aeon V3 CG, Dark Liberator R, Brood Guard GB, Electrum Wind VA, Spectre SD 

Wishlist: All of them Wink

BionicDance
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 17

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2019, 03:38:50 AM »

I'll be honest: I prefer good guys to bad guys.

...but, if I were to go Sith, my name would so totally be 'Darth Sunder'.
It just plain sounds badass. Smiley

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -372

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2019, 02:56:27 PM »

Another possible origin for Revan is apparent in his followers. "Revanchist" can be defined as "advocating or fighting for the recovery of lost territory or status" with fits well with Revan's redemption.

Also theres a couple instance of similar names not tied to a Darth title IE General "Grievous"

I've had ideas floating around for a Darth "Insanis" following the trend

janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -21

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2019, 03:14:29 PM »

If I turn evil, I will become Darth Zod.

That way, I can say in a menacing voice, "Kneel before Zod."

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2019, 04:31:51 PM »

If I turn evil, I will become Darth Zod.

That way, I can say in a menacing voice, "Kneel before Zod."
You got me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

LSUJedi
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 8

Strive for the light. Accept the dark.

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2019, 07:13:48 AM »

I actually find many of the Sith names to be too on-the-nose for my taste. It's part of the reason I have had trouble coming up with my own name, or if I even want to have a Sith name.

Alekso Lor'ens <------ X ------> Darth Emrys

Dem Sabers:
DIY Archon v3.1 - Consular Green
Bellicose - Guardian Blue
Initiate v3 LE - Violet Amethyst
Double-bladed Apprentice v5 LE - Fire Orange
Dark Initiate - Consular Green
Dark Initiate - Blazing Red

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2019, 06:04:02 AM »

I actually find many of the Sith names to be too on-the-nose for my taste. It's part of the reason I have had trouble coming up with my own name, or if I even want to have a Sith name.

When in doubt, Latin. Doesn't usually sound too close but you still get meaning from it.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2019, 01:42:47 PM »

Like was said  Latin is a good go to...or any other language than English.  Take mine  Tepes is Romanian for "Impaler".   When coming up with a Sith Name you should think about your character.  What's a defining trait or ideal of the character.  Example:  Lets say the Sith likes to hunt his/her prey.  Hunter is too on the nose so to speak so you go to a thesaurus.  Hmm  Stalker....Darth Stalker sounds menacing but still on the nose.  On to google Translator.  Hunter in Romanian is Vanator (3 syllables)  Darth Vanator....Darth Hunter but not as "on the nose" to anyone who doesn't speak Romanian.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2019, 06:58:23 AM »

Like was said  Latin is a good go to...or any other language than English.  Take mine  Tepes is Romanian for "Impaler".   When coming up with a Sith Name you should think about your character.  What's a defining trait or ideal of the character.  Example:  Lets say the Sith likes to hunt his/her prey.  Hunter is too on the nose so to speak so you go to a thesaurus.  Hmm  Stalker....Darth Stalker sounds menacing but still on the nose.  On to google Translator.  Hunter in Romanian is Vanator (3 syllables)  Darth Vanator....Darth Hunter but not as "on the nose" to anyone who doesn't speak Romanian.

Expanding on this I like to continually tweak a name until it becomes its own thing. For instance a few posts up you see me saying how i was considering something along the lines of "Insanis" obviously taken from the root "insane". Well the finished version of that name is Darth Vansi. It doesnt sound anything like the root because of that tweaking.

Insane -> German -> Wahnsinnig
Removed some syllables we get
"Wahnsi"
German pronounces this "Vahn-see" which can easily transcribe to Darth Vansi

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: