Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Author Topic: Hi from NJ, USA.. Just Got My 1st Saber and Love It!!  (Read 8746 times)
jayryan84
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -7

« on: October 19, 2018, 09:24:07 PM »

Hi everyone,

The other day while browsing the web I saw an ad for the site and after watching some of the reviews I was so impressed I had to order one. I just got my Apprentice LEv4 Stunt Setup Consular Green. This thing is pretty awesome... but I am kind of upset I did not spring for the Sound Mod.

Either way I love it, and I certainly will be browsing more of the forums to learn about what is and is not possible or available to modify the Sabers... I know it's probably been asked 100x before and I apologize, but is it possible to purchase the Sound Mod separate and install it to this Saber I just got... I am really kicking myself in the head for not just adding it to the purchase initially.... I see under the site's Sound section there is the USB Sound Logic Board... I am debating purchasing that or possibly grabbing another Saber hehe....

I think my next purchase may be something "Dark"... I really like the looks of the Crimson Reaper and Scorpions, as well as The Malice and the Brood Guards. I always loved those wacky weapons the Emperor's Guards had... I could keep going and going, and from a lot of the user's on the forum I can see that many folks are collectors and have quite an arsenal!

Anyways just wanted to introduce myself... John from NJ... been a SW fan since I was 10 years old, I'm 34 now... as much as I hated the ideas of the new movies I've been really entertained and I'm just glad that Lucas didn't sell SW to HBO or some nonsense network to make TV shows. I enjoyed The Clone Wars cartoon, I am really leaning towards a Saber like young Anakin had.... but would love to hear some recommendations and maybe some ideas.. and I am pretty sure I will be getting the Soundboard on my next Saber, if I do opt to purchase one for my first one I am hoping it's fairly simple to pop in hehe... thanks and take care!

DarthBoneTD
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -841

High Sith Kommander

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 10:56:42 PM »

Hi Jayryan84,
Hello and welcome to the forum,. Yes you can buy the soundboard V4,  a buck puck, new switch, and LI-ion speaker setup, and you need to be decent with small electronics and soldering. But by the time you do that you are in the realm (all comes out to around $180+ if bought from the US site, plus labor. Your time is valuable) of a saber w/ sound anyways. Personally I would keep that stunt as a practice saber and get one with sound. BTW you will not have just one saber or two or three.

A stunt is a really good entry point into the game. And the one you got is an excellent spinning/dueling saber. If you do go for sound get the obs v4 and get the Flash on Clash option, for the true effect. You also get 7 on board sounds including the mute function.
Go for the A/V switch as well. It was my biggest regret when I started.

You will be able to find many threads and members on here who are always ready to help.   Always ask questions if you're not sure.

Happy Sabering.

Take your first point for showing up to the game

Lord of a 1000 sabers. Well almost!

Arsenal: Lots (35 Ultra Sabers)
Most Wanted: That one, oh yeah that one too, oh hell all of them.

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 11:55:58 PM »

Welcome! As DarthBone says, it's about the same cost to buy a new cheaper hilt with the sound card installed, but it's fun to do the work yourself if you feel confident - I've done most wiring with 'sabres, but not a sound card install, so I'm going off what others have said.

The Apprentice is an excellent training 'sabre, though, so you may want to stick with that, and then consider a Dominix, Dark Initiate or Dark Sentinel in the lower price range for your second hilt. If you have the money, most of the higher-end hilts are fun to use. I can speak to the Reapers being great weapons, but I wasn't fond of my Brood Guard while I had one - just my personal taste.

If you like the force pikes (the Emperors Guards' weapons) then maybe consider getting 2 or 3 Yari extensions, some couplers, and attach a 'sabre with a 16 inch blade to the top of the resulting staff. Could look awesome, and we really don't see enough pikes on the board Smiley

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2785

Grey Assassin

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2018, 12:18:26 AM »

Hello there and welcome to the forum.  The Apprentice LE V4 is a great saber to start with and yours is beautiful.  Also, this is just the beginning of the addiction so welcome to the family.

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1055

I leave my alignment to Fate-whether Light or Dark

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2018, 12:32:49 AM »

Hello John, and Welcome! What a beautiful first saber you've decided on! Welcome to the saber family! Here's a welcome point to start you off.

If you're looking at The Scorpion, I must warn you, it is a MASSIVE saber (I have mine in Crimson with the claw, and with Fire Orange Blade and Blazing Red Pulse/Flash on Clash). It's beautiful and I love it, but not the most practical depending on what you're doing with it (it's difficult to wield for choreography and almost impossible to spin with without clawing your forearm). Not sure on size of reaper in comparison. I was torn between the same two lol. Reaper is still on my wish list.

Have a look through the forums though. There are many awesome people with great tutorials, as well as an active Fanfiction writing community and a pretty extensive RP board

My Sabers: I'mma make a link eventually. list doesn't fit in sig any more Sad

Author of: Only Light Can Cast Shadow A pre-KotOR Fem!Revan Fic

Twisted Morality (Part III of "Only Light Can Cast Shadow")

I leave my alignment to fate--Light or Dark

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2018, 02:22:19 AM »

Welcome to the forum.
Nice starter saber there

jayryan84
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2018, 03:35:04 AM »

Thanks all! You are right about not just having one or two as I already ordered a $75 Mystery Box since I had no idea what to buy next because literally it's too confusing as they are all so amazingly designed and perfect in their own way. I think I am a ways away from the Reaper or higher end sabers... I'd grab a Chosen One ASAP but I do not feel worthy yet. I really liked the Dark Sentinel v4 as it reminds me of a nightstick, the Dominix v4 as well... just so hard to pick.

As good as I am with metal work as well as some light electrical work I personally don't want to tarnish anything as they come so beautiful.. but I have seen some pictures of some custom stuff and they looked great. I will most likely take the advice and buy a few and certainly spring for the obs v4 as a friend of mine just told me he highly recommends it. I would enjoy the work, but unfortunately time isn't always a luxury and I plan on having a few. I honestly don't care what I get with the mystery box I just ordered as I know it'll be something beautiful, I'm crossing fingers for anything with sound. I'd gladly be buying one regardless if they come with the speakers and whole setup.

I chose the option for 36", I am not sure exactly what my current one is considered but I measured and it's roughly 43.5 inches head to toe, and the saber light measured out to 33.5. I am not sure how each different saber line vary come lengths but I assume the weight and radius are all fairly similar. I can certainly say this saber is not exactly light and it is much longer than I was expecting, which is incredibly awesome considering I am hockey player and I can easily say the saber is just about the same weight as most newer composite (top quality) sticks. Not that it matters at all heh, so these things definitely are meant to be big kid toys because I couldn't see many kids handling these things as it was taller than my 3 year old nephew lol Smiley

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1055

I leave my alignment to Fate-whether Light or Dark

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2018, 03:46:20 AM »

Ultrasabers are designed to be combat ready, so the hilts do generally have some heft to them, but some are bigger than others. Of the sabers I own currently, the Scorpion is by far the biggest (I like big hilts and I cannot lie, but the hilt more than twice as long as the “initiate” design I have and easily four times the weight) but I suspect the Butcher will also have some decent weight. If you’re a hockey player though, I don’t imagine the Scorpion size should be an issue.

My Sabers: I'mma make a link eventually. list doesn't fit in sig any more Sad

Author of: Only Light Can Cast Shadow A pre-KotOR Fem!Revan Fic

Twisted Morality (Part III of "Only Light Can Cast Shadow")

I leave my alignment to fate--Light or Dark

jayryan84
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2018, 02:46:17 PM »

The Scorpion does look somewhat large, same for the War Glaives and The Malice. I am going to order a 36" Dominix V4 w/ Obsidian Lite Soundboard. I am not exactly a macho man, I was just afraid of the weight and whipping the sabers around, but after watching a few user's videos I see that not everyone has 36", and you can really swing these around. The sounds seem cool, and these things certainly film and photo amazing, you'd literally think it's real (if deadly laser light saber's existed.. I am sure we would all want several of those too Tongue ).

After watching The Empire Strikes Back (ending), I kept watching the lengths of Luke vs Vader's sabers and the 36" seems incredibly accurate IMO.

I stopped playing the SW: The Old Republic PC MMORPG a few years back after playing it for years (because it got ruined I feel when it went Free2Play). But seeing all these different sabers, colors, customization, etc.. I sort of want to hop back into the game (not sure if my character still exists or what server I got bumped to Sad ). Boy I loved that game, endless hours of PVP on the same 3 maps and Raids with several of my good friends.. unfortunately everyone moved back to WoW, Diablo III, and whatever else games are out there.

But yeah the addiction has hit... soon enough I'll have 3 Sabers!

DarthBoneTD
Knight Commander

High Sith Kommander

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2018, 06:06:20 PM »

A hockey guy huh, me too. Played for 15 years. If you have some grip tape laying around and I'm sure you do, it makes for a great grip on your sabers. Here is a Sentinel V4 and a Liberator V3 done with grip tape. It's a great beginner's customization and can easily be removed. I just clean the stick off the hilt with some goo gone or WD-40. The dry brush weathering on the Sentinel is also great for beginners or if you don't want to Dremel or sand one of your nice hilts. Just check out the customization section of the forum when your ready. Good luck with the new sabers.

jayryan84
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2018, 07:10:19 PM »

Nice Darth! And that looks like the good stuff not the common black/white cloth tape that is super gooey. I never even thought of it, I'll have to keep my eyes open for some cool colors, I forget the hockey supply website I used to order my stacks of tape from but if they have a brown, crimson (dark red), or any green/blue that I think those would look rad.

Fortunately I have access to an auto body shop as well as a metal machine shop so tools and supplies are never an issue. I like how I saw a Saber on this forum that looked like someone gently sliced into their windows to give it some "wear and tear" to look battle-damaged.

Right now I'm just happy to have this Stunt Saber, I can't wait for my Mystery Box and my Dominix V4. I ordered a Luke Skywalker robe off one of the Costume site's recommended on this site.. I am hoping it comes in time for Halloween... I was hoping to grow out the facial hair, and my head is already a mop top of salt and pepper so I plan on being "Old Luke" hehe.

Hockey's the greatest sport on earth.. I also played for about 15 years, started when I was about 4-5 years old and played competitively up through high school. I still play some open hockey and adult leagues from time to time, but I started coaching Mites (8 and under) and coaching has been my passion ever since sort of "retiring" from playing.

I may design a smaller saber, most likely another Dominix or Sentinel, something that will be Black and Red (NJ Devils colors) which is the Youth club I coach at.. since we are always playing games on the ice I think it'd be fun to direct some drills with a light saber on ice lol... I used to coach PeeWee's which are a little older, I am learning with the Mites as they are so young you literally have to do as much as possible to keep them entertained on the ice lol... so maybe we will have some Saber races. We also have the kids somewhat "spar" with one another and other drills where we peg the kids with the rubber pucks, tennis balls, cones, to teach them heads up hockey and to learn to trust their pads... you know when a little tike falls down or gets bumped they immediately think they are hurt and start crying... then realize they aren't hurt at all (because pads are so well built.. always have been) Smiley I wish I could afford one for each kid and let them go at it on the ice... I honestly think it'd help them with their balance as well as keeping 2 hands on the "stick".

DarthBoneTD
Knight Commander

High Sith Kommander

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2018, 07:32:19 PM »

Here's to lovin Hockey and to lovin sabers. Welcome to the club.
Btw, great idea with the sabers and learning to keep two hands on the stick.

I went to Play it Again sports and they have all kinds of different colors of grip tape at a fairly cheap price.

Here's a black and red one I did a couple years ago. Once you start giving them your own bit of flare it becomes a true addiction.

https://imgur.com/a/piMd5

Kazuto
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 234

Chains keep us together

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2018, 07:46:05 PM »

Welcome, now get out of NJ lol

Saber Collection:
The Graflex CE - Consular Green
Spectre - Arctic Blue/Silver FoC
Gold Butcher - Consular Green
Chosen One CE - Scarlet Red/Lavender FoC

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2785

Grey Assassin

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2018, 08:07:49 PM »

Didn't know that you're a hockey guy, DB.  Cool!

jayryan84
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2018, 11:09:48 PM »

Welcome, now get out of NJ lol

Oh you don't have to remind me... If it weren't for family and work I would most likely be somewhere out on the West Coast or up North (I'm a sicko I don't mind the cold). I worked in IT for almost a decade and now I'm sitting in a mechanic shop's office at a local construction company performing maintenance on our fleet of work trucks and sales cars  Undecided  It's just sad what the IT industry has become with everything being contracted out, heck I was literally traveling to Texas, Ohio, Kentucky, Georgia, Toronto, and a lot of great other places to perform IT projects.. great money, wonderful seeing the country (and Canada to visit the Hockey HOF)... but those gigs never last.

NJ may gain some points if the Election next month Passes the old Legalization vote... Something I thought I'd never see come to NJ ever in my lifetime. Lets just say I do not condone illegal activities, but it's not the Reagan Era anymore and this state is such a joke... I love South Jersey it's a completely different atmosphere, Central/North NJ is just a cesspool of way too many people all sitting on our 2 special highways aka NJ Turnpike & GS Parkway. Literally only in NJ can it takes 25 minutes to travel 1 mile....

DB, those look great. We used to have a Play it Again around here but I believe they all went out of business, luckily the sport of hockey has exploded in NJ so there are no shortage of Pro Shops and I'm at the rinks 3-4x a week coaching. Everyone here seems really nice, I'm glad I decided to sign up and post. I looked around the forum and was hoping to find some local folks here, I am only about a 20min train ride to NYC, and roughly 90min drive from Atlantic City. I would love to meet up and spar or just enjoy some SW fun... I'd have know idea what to do come sparring, but I want to learn Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: