Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Getting a saber emitter windowed  (Read 2157 times)
PlebausaurusRex
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« on: October 28, 2018, 11:36:14 PM »

I'm curious to know if I could get a saber emitter widowed if i already have it in my possession. Basically, I would want to send it back to Ultrasabers so I could get it windowed, but i'm not sure if it can get windows AFTER the final product is completed. Anyone know the answer to this?

Golden Fedora
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 564

The Grey Prophet

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 11:38:33 PM »

I do not think so, but nobody has asked this question before (to my knowledge) so if you want to know for sure, I would suggest a PM to Ultra or Deep.

"Easy is the path to wisdom for those only not blinded by themselves."

-Broadside

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 12:06:25 AM »

E-mail customer service and ask. I've never heard of it happening, but that doesn't mean it's impossible. I do know the windows are added during the machining process, not later like Covertec holes (for hilts without them) and recharge port holes. I do know they've added extra retention screws for people, so they may be willing to upgrade your hilt to one with windows. But, you'll never know until you ask CS.

I wouldn't recommend a forum PM as this is a CS question. Plus, you never know when they're going to be on the forum, but they usually have someone answering e-mail, at least Monday through Friday.

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2785

Grey Assassin

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 12:07:52 AM »

I agree what Fedora said.  Even if they could add windows to your existing hilt, they would have to remove all electronics just to machine windows into the saber and then reinstall everything back into the hilt which can cause for a pretty pricey upgrade on an option that is normally a $5.00 upgrade when you build your saber not to mention that you would have to pay for shipping both ways which in itself isn't worth it in my opinion.  

So the price of paying shipping both ways to add windows (say if you can), pull out all electronics, and then reinstall, you'll be better off ordering a second saber for that price and you'll end up with two sabers which is even better than having one.   Grin

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 12:09:42 AM »

Likely, it they were willing to do it, they would just swap hilt bodies. That would be the easiest solution.

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 07:45:49 AM »

I'm pretty sure the hits get machined off site, so I would say the answer is no.

Now if you was ballsy enough you could have a drill and add your own windows. Of course the style wouldn't be the same.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2018, 05:56:58 AM »

Likely, it they were willing to do it, they would just swap hilt bodies. That would be the easiest solution.

True, I'm sure that they would still charge to swap the electronics over to the hilt with windows though and then there's the shipping charge to send to and return which can be close to a stunt saber in pricing when all said and done. 

DarthBoneTD
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -841

High Sith Kommander

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2018, 02:48:30 AM »

I'm almost positive it's a NO, they have all the hilts machined off site if I remember correctly from a question I asked a couple years ago. And by the time you ship it and they take the electronics out, machine it, reinstall, and ship it back it would be more than just ordering a new stunt hilt with windows and electronics.
What hilt was it btw?

Lord of a 1000 sabers. Well almost!

Arsenal: Lots (35 Ultra Sabers)
Most Wanted: That one, oh yeah that one too, oh hell all of them.

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2018, 07:47:01 PM »

I'm almost positive it's a NO, they have all the hilts machined off site if I remember correctly from a question I asked a couple years ago. And by the time you ship it and they take the electronics out, machine it, reinstall, and ship it back it would be more than just ordering a new stunt hilt with windows and electronics.
What hilt was it btw?

I’m amazed by all the questions you’ve asked,DBTD. It’s all about covering all the what if’s in this hobby. Kudos

DarthBoneTD
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -841

High Sith Kommander

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2018, 03:10:16 AM »

The best decision is an informed decision. They just do the electronics and tap & die work at home base from what I remember.  I wish I would have asked more questions before I ordered my first saber. Since then I usually ask one or two questions  before each order unless I can find the answer here. Whether it's ordering something you don't see (ie: bezels, switches, pommels you don't see) or just a question about certain hilts.

Lord of a 1000 sabers. Well almost!

Arsenal: Lots (35 Ultra Sabers)
Most Wanted: That one, oh yeah that one too, oh hell all of them.

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2018, 04:04:56 AM »

Hi.  All your responses are basically advising you of the same actions to consider.  It would be more helpful if you share the saber specifics so that we know the model and corresponding windows that are in the emitter.  Also as suggested if you or someone else you know has the skill... make your own window design using a dremel and larger/thicker drill bits.  

US does not do these kind of customizations and likely will suggest that your best option for value is to purchase a new saber with the windows feature.  Also Drahcir is approved by US to do commission customizations.  Again whether this would be your best course of action depends upon the initial purchase price of the saber.  

You can contact customerservice@ultrasabers.com for further details and costs.  Smiley

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2018, 01:58:08 PM »

The best decision is an informed decision. They just do the electronics and tap & die work at home base from what I remember.  I wish I would have asked more questions before I ordered my first saber. Since then I usually ask one or two questions  before each order unless I can find the answer here. Whether it's ordering something you don't see (ie: bezels, switches, pommels you don't see) or just a question about certain hilts.

Good to know, I'll have to notate this.

Back to PlebausaurusRex, it's better to just order a saber with windowed emitter

chalion
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 279

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2018, 10:41:38 PM »

Agreed with all the responses. If it's a saber US sells in their inventory with windows, it would be cheaper to order another than to have them do the cuts after the fact.

I know from my machine shop experimentations at work, that the lathe operator was VERY hesitant to cut up on my Aeon v4 blank hit till I absolved him of all responsibility. Turns out my idea to mod it did not work and the hilt was destroyed in the process.

This is one of my many reasons I dropped my ideas of modding my hilt internals to suit my ideal of how they should be.

26 diamond lightsaber and counting

jayryan84
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -7

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2018, 12:26:01 AM »

Agreed with all the responses. If it's a saber US sells in their inventory with windows, it would be cheaper to order another than to have them do the cuts after the fact.

I know from my machine shop experimentations at work, that the lathe operator was VERY hesitant to cut up on my Aeon v4 blank hit till I absolved him of all responsibility. Turns out my idea to mod it did not work and the hilt was destroyed in the process.

This is one of my many reasons I dropped my ideas of modding my hilt internals to suit my ideal of how they should be.

I've worked in a machine shop for a few years and now work on a lot of small construction sites. I have seen some folks cut into their hilts, I believe Therion Jinn would be the resident expert as I've seen some of his custom work and it's amazing.

But everyone above is right, it depends what hilt... only one of my sabers has windows which is my Apprentice LE v4... I never considered altering my other two. I think if I took my power drill to something like my Dominix it would destroy it. But my Sentinel which is much like my Apprentice (hilt's are very similar), with some perfection some small drill bits towards the top and some precision could make some small windows.. it may not be a lot of work, but it'd be risky and I personally appreciate the saber as it came.

chalion
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 279

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2018, 06:47:50 PM »

What I had my co-worker try was to cut the Aeon into 3 parts, then add threading so I could try to make my modular chassis idea, but with only 1 hilt to play with, there was little ability to play around and basically destroyed it in experimentation. Maybe next year I can review and try again, but for now they're playing with 1.5 polycarbonate and pvc instead. Less cost on my end and lets them play with a lot more material that's easier to work with.

Time to stop my hyjacking this thread.

26 diamond lightsaber and counting

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: