Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16   Go Down
Author Topic: New RPG launch 2018- TOR era game discussion thread  (Read 14169 times)
B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 3210

You can't take the sky from me....

« on: November 02, 2018, 11:11:59 PM »

Firstly, I apologise that these RPG forums have been so quiet for some time now. I’ve been dealing with a lot in my personal life, between work, uni and my health. Some things had to give, and sadly the forum was one of them (but definitely not the only one). Krace has also had a lot to deal with in his personal life. Since I am on a break from uni until March I am able to put some time and effort into getting the RPGs relaunched.

I took the question of the relaunch first to some of the more regular contributors to Saberforum to get an idea of what the best plan of action going forward might be. Since many are interested in playing Force users and I only want to launch one RPG to start with, it was decided to go with The Old Republic era, as we can also include non-Force Users as well. It was also decided that multiple factions would be preferred, since some want to play Jedi, some Sith and some various non-Forcies.

There may also be a non- Star Wars RPG being launched in the Training and Probation section. This will be managed by Threadjack if it goes ahead. A separate thread will be started by her to gauge interest, this thread will only be exploring the relaunch of a Star Wars TOR era RPG.

The Game Moderators will remain as Krace and myself. We may appoint assistant GMs as necessary to help up with managing the game. At this point, it is likely that Krace will have a player character leading the Jedi, and I will have a player character leading the scoundrels/ freelancers/ guns for hire, though this isn’t set in stone yet. If there’s enough interest from Sith players then we will appoint someone to ‘lead’ the Sith- this player will be chosen from those who we consider to be more responsible and capable of having the equivalent of an assistant GM role, and would act as the go to contact for Sith players. PLEASE NOTE that the GM characters are played as a cross between PCs and NPCs- this means that we can and will design our characters to be a bit stronger and ‘better’ as we may need them to be in order to direct the game. This means we may have more abilities or more strong abilities than normal players. This does not mean that we godmod or metagame however, nor do we have invincible plot armour.

Please also note that the titles of Darth and Master will not be handed out wily nily to just anyone. The majority of players will be regular Jedi/ Sith or Padawans/ Apprentices. If you wish to have a Darth or Master character, I would suggest PMing myself and Krace first to get our approval BEFORE making your character sheet. Do not be offended if we say no- keep in mind that Darths and Masters are far more powerful and in universe there were far far more standard Jedi/ Sith than Masters/ Darths. Think of an army- you don't have 10 generals and only 5 regular soldiers do you? The titles of Darth and Master will be more likely to be approved to those who have previously played in the RPGs as a reward to those who have contributed for such a long time and stuck with the games, than to new players. I say this in advance to try and prevent a lot of sore and grumpy egos- and bad blood- from occurring. Also note- no one plays face characters from any of the games, books, movies etc. If necessary, the GMs will NPC face characters. We also will not approve people with ‘Chosen One’ powers. We do limit certain Force powers because they are just too godlike and unfair, do not be offended if a power or ability is rejected for this reason. Also keep in mind, not everyone can have their own ships. Sith, Jedi, Republic forces and Empire forces might have access to a ship but it isn't theirs, it is owned by their faction. Droids may be approved depending on the character (and again, may belong to the faction not to the character).

We would ask that if you are interested in playing, that you commit to posting at a minimum once a week. We understand that real life gets in the way (just read my first few sentences of this post!) but we think once a week is an acceptable minimum, and quite a few regulars expressed that they thought this was quite lenient. If you cannot commit to regularly posting once a week, I’m sorry but this RPG may not be for you. We will enforce that if you are gone for a week or more and we need your character to act in order to get the game moving, then us GMs will NPC your character until you return. Don’t worry, we don’t go about killing off characters just coz. We have enforced this is previous games and it worked just fine, we just NPC your character in the background as needed in keeping with your character sheet. If you know that you are going to be absent, a quick PM to us will let us know that we can NPC your character, or you can nominate another player to look after your character in your absence. Real life always comes first.

In the past it has been difficult to bring new players into the games as the scenarios have been on more isolated planets etc. I will be working to fix this so that we can bring new players in much more easily.

Now that all that boring stuff is out of the way, I have some questions that will help up set up the game so that it appeals to as many as it can. If you are interested in playing, please respond with answers to these questions. Also feel free to offer suggestions, ideas or to ask questions. YOU DON’T HAVE TO HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE IN RPGING IN ORDER TO JOIN SABERFORUM’S RPGS. We encourage people of all experience levels to join. There is no D and D dice rolling in this game, it is a written plot/ storyline style. We expect players to act, react or take damage as is reasonable given the in-game situation and your character. If needed us GMs will step in and dictate actions or damage, but it is rare that we have to.

Question 1- What faction(s) would you be interested in playing? You can list multiple, at this point you aren’t committing to one or the other, this is simply to gauge interest. Some options include (but are not limited to):
- Jedi
- Sith
- Republic non- Force User
- Empire non- Force User
- Smuggler/ mercenary/ bounty hunter/ freelancer (non- Force User- can be aligned towards either Republic or Empire or be neutral)
- Mandalorian (non- Force User)
- Other (pirates, crime syndicate, etc)

Question 2- what time/ age within The Old Republic would you like to play?

Typically, SFs TOR RPGs have taken place in the Cold War, after the Treaty/ Sacking of Coruscant. Here is a timeline link to help you, there are links to the Wookieepedia pages available there http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=26506.0

If the game takes place after the Treaty (ATC) but before the MMORPG SWTOR is set, then we are looking at a period where there is an uneasy truce of sorts between the Republic and the Empire. There is no declared all out war, however there are a lot of smaller skirmishes, backroom dealings, and plenty of underhandedness, assassinations, alliances being made and broken, preparations for both sides to take certain planets and create weapons to wage an all out war…. All that jazz. A Jedi and Sith could meet without trying to kill each other…. But they definitely aren’t gonna like each other and be rather suspicious of what the other is doing. Probably the easier time period to play in if bringing multiple factions together.

If the game takes place before the Treaty (BTC) but after the return of the Sith and the beginning of the Great Galactic War then it is all out war. It is possible a Jedi and Sith could work together, but pretty damn unlikely. The Jedi would also be based from Coruscant, rather than Tython. Course us scoundrels will dart in between and go where the money is Wink

There is also the option to play during the era of KOTOR (The Jedi Civil War) or KOTOR II, or further back again.

Question 3- do we have multiple factions each with their own starting points/ individual planets, or a central starting city/ space station/ etc where the different factions can meet and interact (possibly each with their own HQs in said starting place)?

A central city works better when there is a small number of players. When this question was put to the regular contributors, the majority vote was for a central starting point with each faction having their own section or HQ rather than individual planets, but I want everyone’s opinion on this before choosing. A central city/ station may also make it easier to bring in new players. Keep in mind we can expand out later to have the individual planets as starting points if the RPG gets big enough.

Question 4- do we have a major story arc or smaller ‘mini quests’?

The latter may keep things from dragging out and hopefully prevent loss of interest from players. It was suggested by several to have mini quests that lead towards an overall story arc.

Question 5- do we allow PvP (players vs player) or keep it PvE (player vs environment ie player vs NPCs)?

Allowing PvP does bring in the very real possibility of having a player character killed, moreso than in normal games. We do allow player characters to have a degree of plot armour (aka we aren’t going to just kill you off when we feel like it) but if we have PvP then plot armour can only do so much. We would also have to enforce rules for PvP. If your character does get killed then you can of course create a new character and rejoin. Suggestions have been that characters simply get seriously injured and require healing/ surgery. It’s a possibility, but would likely also take the player out of gameplay for a while.

I think that will do for now…. We are working on a plot scenario, however if you have any suggestions please feel free to post them here! I am going to be revising the character sheet template and include instructions on how to fill it out. Below will be some links to different threads of interest related to the TOR RPG. Most of all, welcome and let’s make this a great RPG for everyone to join and own!

The Old Republic: Timeline
Attention all Prospective Players! (a general help and introduction thread)
The Galaxy At Large
Force Powers
Lucien Kane’s RP advice and help thread- old, but much of it still applies
RP Rules- NOTE: you do not need to sign this yet. There may be edits or additions made to this before gameplay commences
TOR Era T&P Characters - this was designed for our old T and P TOR game but gives you an idea of the character sheet template. This will be updated with a new thread for the new TOR game so while you can use this template to start creating your character, it may change. Also keep in mind this was designed for Padawan level players.
Helpful Hints for Creating TOR T&P Characters- as with above, designed for the old T and P TOR game.
 Example of 1v1 Combat- Shayla and Ikis Training Scenario - an example of how combat is played in game

EDIT:
WE ARE PLAYING IN THE TOR ERA AND WE ARE STARTING IN 8ATC
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 07:44:15 AM by B1ondeange1 » Logged

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

archon v2.1, consular, dominix v3 LE, bellicose, 2x dark initiate v3 LE, dark initiate v2 LE, Aeonix v2, raven, 2x shock, 2x manticore, electrum wind em/v4 obs

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -524

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 05:47:17 AM »

Question 1: Sith

Question 2:  For me, after the sacking of Courscant is the best time for something like this to take place. 

Question 3:  Central City starting point I think would be the best option

Question 4:  Mini quest leading up to an "Event" I think would keep things going

Question 5: I think PVP, strictly controlled, would an interesting option.  Perhaps the fight is announced and a poll started, at the end of the poll the post is written to reflect who won the poll.  Having them not die (unless the player just want to start over) I think would (hopefully) prevent bad blood.

As I stated before, my experience in RP has been ones I or my friends made up and didn't follow "normal" rules.  But I am looking forward to this.  Thanks for putting in the effort to restart it. Point.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Golden Fedora
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 517

The Grey Prophet

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 06:02:43 AM »

Question 1: Sith

Question 2:  For me, after the sacking of Courscant is the best time for something like this to take place. 

Question 3:  Central City starting point I think would be the best option

Question 4:  Mini quest leading up to an "Event" I think would keep things going

Question 5: I think PVP, strictly controlled, would an interesting option.  Perhaps the fight is announced and a poll started, at the end of the poll the post is written to reflect who won the poll.  Having them not die (unless the player just want to start over) I think would (hopefully) prevent bad blood.

As I stated before, my experience in RP has been ones I or my friends made up and didn't follow "normal" rules.  But I am looking forward to this.  Thanks for putting in the effort to restart it. Point.

I'm the same as Tepes except for Q1, I wanna be a Jedi.

"Easy is the path to wisdom for those only not blinded by themselves."

-Broadside

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2018, 06:09:46 AM »

that doesn't matter Smiley I started the RPGs here with no previous experience Smiley Long as you follow our rules- which for the most part are just common sense and designed to make things fair for all- then its all good Smiley Its really just joint story writing, but with a GM leading it when needed

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

archon v2.1, consular, dominix v3 LE, bellicose, 2x dark initiate v3 LE, dark initiate v2 LE, Aeonix v2, raven, 2x shock, 2x manticore, electrum wind em/v4 obs

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 770

Avatar from the DarthScrub's factory

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 12:15:12 PM »

Question 1- What faction(s) would you be interested in playing? You can list multiple, at this point you aren’t committing to one or the other, this is simply to gauge interest. Some options include (but are not limited to):
- Jedi
- Sith
- Republic non- Force User
- Empire non- Force User
- Smuggler/ mercenary/ bounty hunter/ freelancer (non- Force User- can be aligned towards either Republic or Empire or be neutral)
- Mandalorian (non- Force User)
- Other (pirates, crime syndicate, etc)

- Republic non-Force User for me 

Question 2- what time/ age within The Old Republic would you like to play?

Typically, SFs TOR RPGs have taken place in the Cold War, after the Treaty/ Sacking of Coruscant. Here is a timeline link to help you, there are links to the Wookieepedia pages available there http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=26506.0

If the game takes place after the Treaty (ATC) but before the MMORPG SWTOR is set, then we are looking at a period where there is an uneasy truce of sorts between the Republic and the Empire. There is no declared all out war, however there are a lot of smaller skirmishes, backroom dealings, and plenty of underhandedness, assassinations, alliances being made and broken, preparations for both sides to take certain planets and create weapons to wage an all out war…. All that jazz. A Jedi and Sith could meet without trying to kill each other…. But they definitely aren’t gonna like each other and be rather suspicious of what the other is doing. Probably the easier time period to play in if bringing multiple factions together.

If the game takes place before the Treaty (BTC) but after the return of the Sith and the beginning of the Great Galactic War then it is all out war. It is possible a Jedi and Sith could work together, but pretty damn unlikely. The Jedi would also be based from Coruscant, rather than Tython. Course us scoundrels will dart in between and go where the money is Wink

There is also the option to play during the era of KOTOR (The Jedi Civil War) or KOTOR II, or further back again.

Between ATC and SWTOR is good to me

Question 3- do we have multiple factions each with their own starting points/ individual planets, or a central starting city/ space station/ etc where the different factions can meet and interact (possibly each with their own HQs in said starting place)?

A central city works better when there is a small number of players. When this question was put to the regular contributors, the majority vote was for a central starting point with each faction having their own section or HQ rather than individual planets, but I want everyone’s opinion on this before choosing. A central city/ station may also make it easier to bring in new players. Keep in mind we can expand out later to have the individual planets as starting points if the RPG gets big enough.

Central city in a neutral area ... sounds good

Question 4- do we have a major story arc or smaller ‘mini quests’?

The latter may keep things from dragging out and hopefully prevent loss of interest from players. It was suggested by several to have mini quests that lead towards an overall story arc.

Ok with that

Question 5- do we allow PvP (players vs player) or keep it PvE (player vs environment ie player vs NPCs)?

Allowing PvP does bring in the very real possibility of having a player character killed, moreso than in normal games. We do allow player characters to have a degree of plot armour (aka we aren’t going to just kill you off when we feel like it) but if we have PvP then plot armour can only do so much. We would also have to enforce rules for PvP. If your character does get killed then you can of course create a new character and rejoin. Suggestions have been that characters simply get seriously injured and require healing/ surgery. It’s a possibility, but would likely also take the player out of gameplay for a while.

Ok for PVP as long as there is not a compulsive Player Killer among the character Wink

I think that PvP should be limited in the Central starting point and controlled during the scenarios ... But without PvP, it will be less interesting.

I think that will do for now…. We are working on a plot scenario, however if you have any suggestions please feel free to post them here! I am going to be revising the character sheet template and include instructions on how to fill it out. Below will be some links to different threads of interest related to the TOR RPG. Most of all, welcome and let’s make this a great RPG for everyone to join and own!

The Old Republic: Timeline
Attention all Prospective Players! (a general help and introduction thread)
The Galaxy At Large
Force Powers
Lucien Kane’s RP advice and help thread- old, but much of it still applies
RP Rules- NOTE: you do not need to sign this yet. There may be edits or additions made to this before gameplay commences
TOR Era T&P Characters - this was designed for our old T and P TOR game but gives you an idea of the character sheet template. This will be updated with a new thread for the new TOR game so while you can use this template to start creating your character, it may change. Also keep in mind this was designed for Padawan level players.
Helpful Hints for Creating TOR T&P Characters- as with above, designed for the old T and P TOR game.
 Example of 1v1 Combat- Shayla and Ikis Training Scenario - an example of how combat is played in game

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

For other free words of wisdom, dial 555-YODA

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 719

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2018, 12:35:51 PM »

Q1: I would be interested in Sith, and possibly a non-force user "rogue.

Q2: After the sacking sounds best. Much more welcoming to new players than "all out war."

Q3: I'd like the different starting points idea, if we have enough people to make it practicable to do so.

Q4: I like the "mini quests" style, with a larger goal(s) that require smaller quests to fulfill

Q5: I'd say allow consensual PvP.

As for the non-SW game, I'm going to make that thread now.

(Sig by me!)

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1797

Lord of the Force

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2018, 12:38:39 PM »

1. Jedi, Freelancer, or Mando for me.
2. I don't know too much about the timeline of the OR, but between ATC and SWTOR sounds like it could lead to some interesting team-ups (if a bit uneasy).
3. Multiple factions each with their own "homebase", but in a single city or something would probably be best (unless we get a ton of interest or we pick up players fast as we go, then I'd suggest spreading out to different planets or something).
4. Mini-quests that contribute to the overall story arc would be best IMO.
5. PvP would probably be fun, but I think if we do it, the players need to both (or all if there are more than two) know what is going on, and also have it approved by the GMs as well.

Looking forward to this. Haven't done much RPing yet (had just started when life intervened), so I'm really hoping this gets up and running.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"We are the spark that will light the fire that will burn the first order down." - Poe Dameron

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2018, 09:26:42 PM »

1. Jedi, Freelancer, or Mando for me.
2. I don't know too much about the timeline of the OR, but between ATC and SWTOR sounds like it could lead to some interesting team-ups (if a bit uneasy).
3. Multiple factions each with their own "homebase", but in a single city or something would probably be best (unless we get a ton of interest or we pick up players fast as we go, then I'd suggest spreading out to different planets or something).
4. Mini-quests that contribute to the overall story arc would be best IMO.
5. PvP would probably be fun, but I think if we do it, the players need to both (or all if there are more than two) know what is going on, and also have it approved by the GMs as well.

Looking forward to this. Haven't done much RPing yet (had just started when life intervened), so I'm really hoping this gets up and running.

Hey if you are interested in freelancing, I'll need a first mate Tongue

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

CruentoNox
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 450

We are what they grow beyond

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2018, 07:40:37 AM »

Don't have much RP experience but am looking forward to trying it here.

1) Jedi
2) Between ATC and SWTOR sounds good
3) Central city in a neutral environment with various HQ is ok for me
4) Mini-quests would probably be best for me as I would get to try my hand at RP first without risking not being able to follow what's happening
5) I'd be focussing on PvE but having the possibility of well behaved PvP would be nice

Sabers Owned
- Aeon V4, LITE sound, SRD with AB FoC, windows and Green-Illuminated A/V Switch
- Dominix LE V4, Stunt, AB with windows
- Dominix LE V4, Stunt, SRD with windows
- Aeon V4, LITE sound, GB with AS FoC, windows and Non-Illuminated Silver A/V Switch
- Dominix V4, Stunt, BR with windows
- Bellicose, LITE sound, AS with AB FoC, Black blade holder, Bronze button, Long grooves pommel and White-Illuminated A/V Switch

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1797

Lord of the Force

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2018, 01:43:29 AM »

Hey if you are interested in freelancing, I'll need a first mate Tongue

If you are serious, I might take you up on that offer. Gotta get my character figured out when you get the character sheet templates reworked. Cheesy Wink

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"We are the spark that will light the fire that will burn the first order down." - Poe Dameron

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2018, 03:41:54 AM »

If you are serious, I might take you up on that offer. Gotta get my character figured out when you get the character sheet templates reworked. Cheesy Wink

Its pretty much the existing TOR template, but since that is very Force User orientated I am reworking it so that non- Forcies get a few more skills to offset the fact that Force users get all these Force skills as well as additional skills.
You can use the existing template as a general guide to start creating your character, youll just have to adjust it into tge new template when it hits. You've done a GCW character before so you know how we do things Smiley

PM me if you want your character to be my first mate, we can work stuffs out Smiley

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

Golden Fedora
Knight Commander

The Grey Prophet

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2018, 10:27:00 AM »

Its pretty much the existing TOR template, but since that is very Force User orientated I am reworking it so that non- Forcies get a few more skills to offset the fact that Force users get all these Force skills as well as additional skills.
You can use the existing template as a general guide to start creating your character, youll just have to adjust it into tge new template when it hits. You've done a GCW character before so you know how we do things Smiley

PM me if you want your character to be my first mate, we can work stuffs out Smiley

Maybe just keep the current template but add a separate one for non-forcies?

-Broadside

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2018, 05:19:42 PM »

Maybe just keep the current template but add a separate one for non-forcies?

Its already been/ being sorted. Ive sent it to Krace for his review before it goes live.

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

Golden Fedora
Knight Commander

The Grey Prophet

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2018, 08:06:15 AM »

Its already been/ being sorted. Ive sent it to Krace for his review before it goes live.

cool. I'll be keeping an eye out for it so I can update mine.

-Broadside

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2054

Grey Assassin

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2018, 08:54:45 AM »

I'm new to this as well but I look forward to it.  Any pointers would be greatly appreciated of course.

1. Jedi
2. Between the ATC and SWTOR sounds good to me.  Lots of things that can take place within that time span
3. Central starting point with a neutral zone so that we can at least have a non-combat zone to mingle within
4. Mini quests that leads to an overall story works well for me.  Kinds of paint a larger picture in the end to me
5. PVP that's controlled to prevent all out kills or RP serial killers from doing so

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: