Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Retro Gaming  (Read 4083 times)
scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« on: November 08, 2018, 02:24:15 AM »

Hey everyone,

I did a search and saw where this was discussed, but it was about 3.5 years ago and there's no need to dig up a thread from back then. Anyway, I'm talking about retro gaming.

For those who haven't noticed, my forum title includes "8-Bit." This was suggested by others due to my love of 8-bit video games. Though, that only partially covers what I love to play. I love games from all eras, though the current generation of games is getting on my nerves. You buy a game for $60 USD and it may be incomplete and/or infested with bugs. Then there's the paid DLC to get more content, updates that are often in the gigabytes range, (usually, right when you have a short amount of time and want to play for a bit) and forced online play. Most of that makes me yearn for the good ol' days when you could just pop in a cartridge or disc for a quick gaming session.

Now, my love of video games goes all the way back to the mid 1980s, when my parents brought home our first video game console, an Atari 5200. So many fun times with what was, unfortunately, a failed console. It didn't stop us from having great times playing such classics as Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, Frogger, Q*bert, etc. Unfortunately, the controllers were crappy on that system, hence its failure. Several years later, they upgraded to the Atari 7800. Now, there was a great console. 8-bit gaming came to our house with that beauty. It rivaled and in some ways surpassed the Nintendo Entertainment System. Unfortunately, Atari was a dying brand back then and it was poorly marketed. Though, it had some great features, like reverse compatibility with the Atari 2600 games and accessories.

When I got my first job in 1995, I bought my own TV and games. I finally got a NES, a Game Boy and a Super Nintendo. I still have the second Super Nintendo I bought, the slim one introduced in the late '90s. My sister gave me a Nomad, which was a North American only handheld Sega Genesis (known as the Mega Drive everywhere else.) That got me into Sega games, beyond the ones that were in arcades and released on Atari and other consoles. (yes, Atari had Sega and Nintendo licenses back in the day) Eventually, I moved on to the Playstation, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, XBOX, Playstation 2, Gamecube, XBOX 360, Playstation 4 and finally XBOX One. However, I never lost my love for good old games, especially cartridges.

My getting back into retro gaming began a couple years ago, when I was looking for something to play my Genesis games on. I had eventually owned a Genesis model 1 and later a model 2, but they both had died. I still have that Nomad, but it's big and bulky and gets cumbersome after time. Years earlier, I had become aware of clone consoles. I found out that electronics patents in the US only last 20 years, so it's legal to reproduce the hardware at that point. Thus began me once more buying and playing games from my childhood and just having a blast.

Just today in the mail (alongside my Butcher) I got a Hyperkin Mega Retron HD, which plays Mega Drive and Genesis games (it has a region switch) in 720p HD, which is light years ahead of the 240p composite video. I already had a Hyperkin SupaRetron HD, which plays Super Famicom and Super Nintendo games in HD, and a Gamerz Tek 8-bit HD, which does that for NES games, and I have a Hyperkin adapter to play Famicom games in HD. Aside from 8-bit and 16-bit games, I recently bought component video cables for my Playstation 2. Original Playstation games won't work on component on my TV, so I recently cleaned up my original Playstation from over 20 years ago (the open button was sticking) and I have that hooked up with a HD video upscaler. I also have a HD adapter for my Gamecube, though it's not currently hooked up. And, I can use the video upscaler for the Nintendo 64, but I'm waiting for some controllers that I backed on Kickstarter to get back into the N64. I don't need anything special for original XBOX games, because I can play them in HD on my 360 or One. And, I still buy games for these consoles, mostly on Ebay. Though, retro is a hot trend, so there are physical stores selling this stuff. There are some near me, but I have yet to visit them.

Anyway, that's how I roll in my gaming. Anyone else into retro games?

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2785

Grey Assassin

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 12:48:27 PM »

I'm a huge retro gamer but I prefer the original consoles over the retro after market consoles since to me, it's about the console as much as it is about the game.  All I have right now is a GameBoy Color and a Sega Game Gear.  Will see if I can find them both to take pictures of. 

Don't get me wrong, I don't have any problems with retro consoles like the Hyperkin SupaRetron and I believe that anyone who likes them are still gamers. I'm just stating that I prefer having the actual console as well but I can see myself rocking something like your Hyperkin if I can't find a good original console that isn't $300.00

I'm just really into the current games for me to dig further or spend that much money on the original consoles right now but it's a future want and I will eventually re-own former consoles again.

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1557

I Survive through the Force.

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 01:29:00 PM »

Hi SFD,

As you know from previous discussions I have an old SEGA Saturn complete with lightgun controllers. I also own the SEGA Game Gear too (great taste you have Infinit) and it has the Mega Drive cartridge adaptor, the TV tuner (this is pretty much useless now everything is digital  Sad ). I had a power grip battery extender and the widescreen magnifier. Both consoles are in working condition I just need the cables to connect the Saturn to my TV.
Moving onwards I also own a PS1 plus various cheat cartridges/discs and lightguns, and then a PS2.

In regards to games, I played the "Die Hard Trilogy" and "Virtua Cop" a lot. I aced the Virtua Cop game both on the console and once in a bar that had the arcade machine. But I have to say I was always a motor racing fan and Gran Turismo and SEGA Rally featured a lot in my collection.

But maybe the one title you will all like is the Star Wars game on the Sega Game Gear. I haven't seen or heard it mentioned very often but I have a copy!

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 01:36:30 PM »

I'm a huge retro gamer but I prefer the original consoles over the retro after market consoles since to me, it's about the console as much as it is about the game.  All I have right now is a GameBoy Color and a Sega Game Gear.  Will see if I can find them both to take pictures of. 

Don't get me wrong, I don't have any problems with retro consoles like the Hyperkin SupaRetron and I believe that anyone who likes them are still gamers. I'm just stating that I prefer having the actual console as well but I can see myself rocking something like your Hyperkin if I can't find a good original console that isn't $300.00

I'm just really into the current games for me to dig further or spend that much money on the original consoles right now but it's a future want and I will eventually re-own former consoles again.

I hear you, original hardware is the best. If I had the space, I'd pick up an old CRT TV and hook up my original SNES, N64 and Playstation. I'd probably also get a Sega Genesis. But, I don't have that kind of space, and getting original consoles modded to look good on HDTVs is prohibitively expensive. Even the DIY kit for something like the NES or N64 is in the hundreds. Clones that output to 720p are a nice middle ground. Though, there are disadvantages, especially with the NES and Genesis games. As I'm sure you know, some games use special chips and whatnot. One game I can't play on an NES clone is Afterburner, which is a bummer to me. I love Afterburner. But, I have Afterburner II for the Genesis. The Genesis clones have issues with special FX chip games. Most won't play Virtua Racing, for one. Though, the SNES SoC clones are surprisingly dialed in. They'll play pretty much anything, including FX chip games like Starfox, F-Zero and others.

One area I venture less into that I know some retro gamers do is ROMs and emulation. I prefer cartridges and hardware. I do have a few retro consoles that use emulation, such as the NES and SNES Classics and the Super Retro-Cade, which has a lot of licensed arcade ROMs on it. Those are hard to get legitimately, so that's nice to have. The SNES Classic has some games that are prohibitively expensive (for me) on cartridge because I buy games to play, not collect, and the NES Classic I got during the relaunch a few months back just because it's cool. Though, I will be skipping the Playstation Classic (not thrilled with the game selection) and any future emulation consoles. I'm all about cartridges, discs and at least SoC hardware now.

Hi SFD,

As you know from previous discussions I have an old SEGA Saturn complete with lightgun controllers. I also own the SEGA Game Gear too (great taste you have Infinit) and it has the Mega Drive cartridge adaptor, the TV tuner (this is pretty much useless now everything is digital  Sad ). I had a power grip battery extender and the widescreen magnifier. Both consoles are in working condition I just need the cables to connect the Saturn to my TV.
Moving onwards I also own a PS1 plus various cheat cartridges/discs and lightguns, and then a PS2.

In regards to games, I played the "Die Hard Trilogy" and "Virtua Cop" a lot. I aced the Virtua Cop game both on the console and once in a bar that had the arcade machine. But I have to say I was always a motor racing fan and Gran Turismo and SEGA Rally featured a lot in my collection.

But maybe the one title you will all like is the Star Wars game on the Sega Game Gear. I haven't seen or heard it mentioned very often but I have a copy!

Sweet! I never had a Saturn or Game Gear. I've heard good things, though, especially with the Game Gear. It's a shame that all of the add-ons for the Genesis more or less killed the Saturn. It probably would have done better without the Sega CD for the Genesis.

And, yes, Star Wars games are sweet. Smiley

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 01:47:02 PM »

Hi SFD,

So far (touch wood, cross my fingers) I have a Game Gear with a solid screen, unfortunately on a lot of them the screen fails now. Oh, and the capacitor is good too.

I remember a lot of people jumped the bandwagon and bought Gameboys when it came out but I never really liked the GB (mono screen, awkward ergonomics) and stuck with my SEGAs. It was funny though when a GB owner started boasting about their handheld then they saw how good the picture was on my Game Gear. They always wanted to try it out.

Just remembered...Game Gear + MORTAL KOMBAT= Sub-Zero Cool

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 01:52:20 PM »

The Game Boy was my first game system purchase after I got my first job. I played it to death. I still have its replacement, an Atomic Purple Game Boy Color. Also, the Game Boy led to my favorite invention related to it, the Super Game Boy adapter for the SNES. That's how I usually play Game Boy games anymore.

But, yeah, the Game Gear definitely blew it away. However, you couldn't stop Nintendo owners from scooping up most anything they released back then. After all, the Nintendo Entertainment System ended the Video Game Crash of 1983. (caused by Atari) Most everyone figured Nintendo saved the industry.

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2785

Grey Assassin

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2018, 02:03:36 PM »

The Game Boy was my first game system purchase after I got my first job. I played it to death. I still have its replacement, an Atomic Purple Game Boy Color. Also, the Game Boy led to my favorite invention related to it, the Super Game Boy adapter for the SNES. That's how I usually play Game Boy games anymore.

But, yeah, the Game Gear definitely blew it away. However, you couldn't stop Nintendo owners from scooping up most anything they released back then. After all, the Nintendo Entertainment System ended the Video Game Crash of 1983. (caused by Atari) Most everyone figured Nintendo saved the industry.

Agreed, Nintendo with their "thinking outside the box" consoles and games brought the gaming industry back and when you look at it, sure Nintendo's modern day console, the Switch isn't going to beat the XBox One X or PS4 Pro as far as graphics but Nintendo has never tried to be the "Best hardcore graphics intensive Console" but more so a console designed for everyone and with the gamer in mind. They're the ones that ventured into portability and in my opinion, perfected it.  I'm an XBox fan but we have a Switch and a WiiU at home and they're played quite often.  My point is that Nintendo has always strive to venture into different territory, giving the audience new and better experiences with their consoles and games than the competition.  I believe this is why they're still relevant today along with having their own exclusives but they maintain and grow their fan base for generations to come.  I know, my son loves the Switch

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2018, 02:11:37 PM »

Hi again,

I was lucky as a mate of mine was a Nintendo fan and he bought the SNES and Nintendo related stuff! Spent many hours round at his place playing WWF Raw and I think it was International Super Soccer (there was a crazy recreation of indoor 5-a-side Futsal mode). As I had the PS1 I had all the WWF/WWE and WCW games ("Smackdown vs Raw", "In your House" and WCW "Mayhem" and "Nitro") and other football titles.

I did have a copy of Jedi Power Battles but it had a glitch and kept freezing on the first level.  Sad

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2018, 02:16:31 PM »

Yeah, it was particularly a genius move to redesign the NES for Western markets. Since video game consoles weren't popular and VCRs were, especially in North America, they turned the Famicom into something that looked more like a VCR, and it sold through the roof. They definitely kept pushing boundaries. While not the first 64-bit system, the N64 was the first successful 64-bit system. (also, I don't think the Atari Jaguar was true 64-bit) Of course, there's a cost to pushing boundaries, that thing was too hard to make games for and the cartridges were more limiting than a CD. Then they went the mini high capacity CD for the Gamecube. Again, that was more limiting than a DVD. But, that thing is beautiful, better graphics than the PS2 and an easy rival for the XBOX. (plus, Rogue Leader Cool ) They switched to more family friendly with the Wii line and were the first to introduce motion controlled gaming into homes. Now, as you say, they're pushing portable boundaries once more with the Switch. So, yes, a very innovative company.

And, Jedi Power Battles, you say?

Cheesy

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2018, 02:24:50 PM »

And, Jedi Power Battles, you say?

Cheesy

HA! I now have a working copy of the game!...Well a picture of a working copy, thanks for sharing!
I'll just have to keep my eyes open for a cheap copy on ESale or OnlineBuy! (other shopping websites available).

point incoming

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2018, 02:50:52 PM »

I got that off of Ebay sometime back. I'd never played the Playstation version before, but I used to play the heck out of the Game Boy Advance version. I had an Episode II GBA game with that style of play too.

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2018, 12:11:58 AM »

Today's bountiful mail:

Scooped that up in a sweet deal on Ebay. I have a system where I'll start bidding on something, but I'll check the lowest (with shipping) Buy it Now price for the same item. The bidding got to the same territory as this set (Buy it Now $15.20, shipped) so I let that one go and bought this one. Wink I've never played 007 Racing, but it sounds fun, nor have I ever played the original Medal of Honor. However, I used to have Tomorrow Never Dies. All 3 games are in good shape, with cases and manuals. The case on 007 Racing is a little messed up, but given the number of jewel cases I've broken over the years, I'm not mad. I can swap it out.

Though, yesterday's mail was much more epic:

(this one is clicky)

It was like Christmas. Cheesy That Mega Retron HD is pretty sweet. I'm looking forward to testing it fully tomorrow night, my night off. The two cartridges were Ebay grabs to bolster my collection, and of course my Butcher. Needless to say, the Butcher got opened first. Then the Mega Retron HD. Sometime after I'd played with both a bit, the games got opened. Wink

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2018, 03:52:12 PM »

Hi SFD,

Christmas you say? It felt like Christmas for me yesterday. My wife Mrs T, returned from a stay at her Mom's and brought me a present! I can't make use of it currently as my laptop isn't up to spec but I now have a copy of Star Wars KOTOR....YAY!
And it cost....26 cents! (20 pence in Pound Sterling) A bargain. And it has all four discs and the instruction manual (not that anyone reads those).
And just to keep my post within the topic subject here is a picture of my new KOTOR game along with my SEGA Game Gear and that Star Wars cartridge..please just don't laugh at my laptop ok?  Grin

p.s. and who's that good looking guy in the forum signature? oh yes that'll be me!

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2018, 11:44:27 PM »

I consider KOTOR to be a retro game, so you were always within topic. (that and everyone should know I'm not a huge stickler for staying on topic Wink ) KOTOR came out 15 years ago (yikes!) for the original XBOX and 14 years ago for PC. I consider anything from a console era that had nothing but yellow, white, red RCA hookups (composite video) to be retro. Plus, 4 CDs? Ha!

I managed to pick up these two about 10 years ago:

The Best of PC Collection has KOTOR on it. It's on a DVD with Empire at War. KOTOR2 is the multi CD deal, though. Nothing wrong with those, that's for sure. They work just great. Plus, your wife got that at a steal. That's an epic grab. I hope you find a computer that's up to specs to run it soon.

Love that game gear with the Star Wars game. Cheesy

Edit: And, while we're on the subject of old Star Wars games:

Just a few. Wink I'd show you my epic PC collection, but they're on GOG. Let's just say I can bring up the "S" section of my Windows menu and fill up the entire menu space with Star Wars games. Cheesy I have the three N64 games on computer so I can play them in HD (and with an XBOX 360 controller.)

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2018, 12:06:12 AM »

I consider KOTOR to be a retro game, so you were always within topic. (that and everyone should know I'm not a huge stickler for staying on topic Wink ) KOTOR came out 15 years ago (yikes!) for the original XBOX and 14 years ago for PC. I consider anything from a console era that had nothing but yellow, white, red RCA hookups (composite video) to be retro. Plus, 4 CDs? Ha!

I managed to pick up these two about 10 years ago:

The Best of PC Collection has KOTOR on it. It's on a DVD with Empire at War. KOTOR2 is the multi CD deal, though. Nothing wrong with those, that's for sure. They work just great. Plus, your wife got that at a steal. That's an epic grab. I hope you find a computer that's up to specs to run it soon.

Love that game gear with the Star Wars game. Cheesy

Hi SFD, that's a great sounding collection. I'll keep my eyes open for a copy of that set but in the part of the UK I'm in stuff like this is rare. This copy of KOTOR my wife got me was a bargain when you consider the local gaming exchange store had it on sale for $20 (also previously owned).

But I think my Game Gear is a gem actually and I just dug out a few more cartridges I have including "Batman Returns", "Mortal Kombat 3" "NBA Jam" "Micro Machines 2" and "WWF RAW". Oh the joy of 8-bit music!

EDIT: And if I ever get to visit the US I'm calling round your place for a gaming session!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: