Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Scorpion with Diamond Controller, and Initiate v4 with Obsidian V4 : Review  (Read 1720 times)
deevee2
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 110

« on: November 09, 2018, 03:07:51 AM »

Okay, so I'll probably get flamed for this review because I purchased something without doing a little more research first, but that's okay I own my mistakes.

So I originally started looking for a lightsaber for a Halloween costume, and came across Ultrasabers site. I quickly found myself building all sorts of sabers but then getting gun shy at the total and changing my mind. Finally I ended up caving on a v4 Initiate, Consular Green, upgraded pommel, with an Obsidian V4 board (cause seriously, what is the point of this without the sound?). I was super excited, my costume was coming together and my inner child is screaming.

A few days later, before my Initiate v4 even ships, I find myself on the site again. This time building a Scorpion with a Diamond controller. I watched a few reviews of this particular saber, and it looked big for sure, and really liked the styling including the claw. It was late, and I went ahead and ordered that too. Literally no reason at all for it, I don't need two for my costume and nobody else needed one. What the hell? LOL

They both arrived within a week; I was incredibly impressed with the turnaround time! I also got a couple free initiates with my order so can let family play with those when they come over. So on to the reviews.

Initiate v4 with Obsidian v4:

This hilt fits very nicely in my hand and is super easy to swing around. I ran to Home Depot and got some O-rings for the handle, which really helped the grip. The pommel I got is a little large, but looked very Star Wars-ish in its shape so I went with it and it doesn't interfere too much with swinging it around. I love the vents near the blade, they look absolutely amazing. I went with the Tri-Cree Consular Green, and it looks stunning in person! No flash on clash unfortunately, but damn it is bright!

The Obsidian v4 board is pretty nice as well! The software to customize it is pretty straight forward, I was able to use Audacity to convert some random WAV files into the correct format and make a stupid SoundFont with Owen Wilson saying "WOW!" for the swings. The sound quality is pretty good, louder and more clear than I was expecting! So far so good!

One note is I got the guarded switch - big mistake - the guard around the button is super uncomfortable. Should have gotten an AV switch.

I did however run into a few issues with it. One of the times I was inserting my blade plug, it almost got stuck; some small metal burr or something in the emitter was grabbing it. I cleaned it up with a small flathead but that would have sucked to get it stuck in there.

Next issue I ran into was one of the times I re-inserted my blade, the saber would not power on whatsoever. I took the blade out, re-installed it, and it powered on fine. Testing it, it appears the LED module is free-floating and if pushed down in a certain way it's making contact with something that is shorting it. Good to know it's not damaged, but that's kind of annoying. As long as I install the blade in a certain way it doesn't do it, so it hasn't been an issue. I'm a little disappointed the LED module is free floating, I feel like it should use a retention screw to hold it.

Overall: 8/10. I really like the saber, this is a really cool toy to have even though I have no idea what I'm going to do with it. I love the green color and Obsidian board, but I kind of wish I went with a better hilt as this feels sort of basic. Great for a first saber.

Scorpion with Diamond controller:

This hilt is freaking MASSIVE. One review of it said the saber was designed for a Wookie - and he was right! I should have checked the measurements on it before ordering because despite watching videos it is still much larger than I expected. Frankly, it looks awesome. Doesn't exactly look like it's from the Star Wars universe, but it sure as hell looks like something evil. With the claw you can probably legitimately defend your house from an intruder with it, this thing is super solid! I was initially very torn because it looked amazing, but was almost comically enormous.

The Diamond controller - okay this controller is absolutely amazing. Dove right into configuring saber colors and things, it was super easy and VERY cool to be able to change colors on the fly. Flash on clash, gestures, all of it - very fun to play with!! The sound quality is amazing, the responsiveness to swings and clashes feels much quicker than the Obsidian v4 to be honest. Less effort is needed to get the saber to make sounds overall, it feels more natural moving it around.

Again, made the mistake of getting the guarded switch. They should just burn these things. They suck ass and are super uncomfortable. Go AV switch. Always.

One thing I noticed about the 36" blade vs the 32" that came with my Initiate, is it feels a bit more wobbly when you swing it around. Hard to describe, but you can tell its a longer blade. The 32" feels more like a solid piece with the hilt when you swing it.

Overall: 7/10. If you are looking for an enormous saber, this is the one for you. Unfortunately it was not the one for me, and I ate the 20% restocking fee to return it to Ultrasabers. I just could not get over the size of it, I felt like I bought a club or something. The Diamond controller however is amazing, I really think it's worth the extra investment and sort of wish my Initiate had it.

Lesson: if you're looking for a saber, don't cheap out on the hilt. The electronics cost more, so just get the hilt you want. Also, get the Diamond controller if you can swing it - it is an absolute blast to play with and the colors you can get with it are amazing! Now I have a store credit I'm sitting on and going to take my time with my next saber purchase. Looking forward to writing my next review - thanks for reading and I hope this helps someone out there!

Ultrasabers hilt builds:
  Archon 3.1 (RGBW, sound, activation box)
  Spectre (Neopixel, SmoothSwing, sound)
  Aeon LE v5 (RGBW, SmoothSwing, sound)
  Dominix LE v5 (RGBW, SmoothSwing, sound)

Ultrasabers empties:
  Chosen One, Graflex, 2x Dorinians, Savior, Raven, Consular

Hilt builds:
  Custom chassis, 18650 Li-Ion, bass speaker (2-4w), recharge port, 3rd party saber controller

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2027

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 03:42:01 AM »

Nice first couple of sabers. Not gonna lie wish I started my collection later because I probably would've went for the Scorpion myself Tongue

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG,
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Malik Thanewulf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -488

Grey Jedi with MAJOR Sith-like tendencies

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 02:18:57 AM »

Good advice for someone looking for a sweet saber  to consider. I myself, have the Scorpion and I love it.  It is a BEAST. I have larger hands and I find it fits me and my personality pretty well. Anyway, take your time, and choose your next saber very carefully. Ask questions about your possible choices. I know you will find the best saber for you. Happy sabering.

My Collection: Monarch CE

Wish list:  maybe a Sword of Omens (not sure which color)

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2785

Grey Assassin

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 02:25:14 PM »

Nice sabers there and love the colors! You can’t go wrong with the Obsidian soundboard and the Diamond controller is a must

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 03:09:19 PM »

Okay, so I'll probably get flamed for this review

Oh, nonsense. Your review isn't overly negative, you just pointed out a few things you have issue with. Overall, you were actually quite complimentary. Besides, flaming is a forum rules violation. Wink

While it's still under warranty, you might want to see about returning that Initiate for repair. Even with the LED free floating, it shouldn't ever not make contact. That sounds like a wiring issue, and one you might want to get fixed under warranty. Your choice, of course.

BatMike90
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -793

Dark (Knight) Side Points.

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 06:39:59 PM »

I agree with you, the Diamond Controller is a wonderful, entertaining investment and all of US sabers will now be installed with this board.

I am sorry to hear that you did not like the Scorpion. I have two stunts and use them as a staff configuration when I feel like being a Sith for the day. While it is a BEAST, I kinda like it that way. (That's what she said! LOL!  Cool)

Arsenel:
RGBW DIAMOND: Archon v3.1 / Dominicide / Graflex SE /  Guardian
V4 SOUND : Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Emperor's Hand
STUNT: Aeon v4 / Bellicose / Dark Apprentice v4 (x2) / Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Phantom Initiate V4 / Prophecy v3 / Renegade LE / Scorpion (x2)
Star Wars Cosplay Alias:
Merik Wolfe (Jedi Knight) / Darth Marcotus (Sith Warrior)
BatMike90's Soundfonts

deevee2
Knight Templar

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 12:59:23 AM »

Well to be fair, I do think the Scorpion is awesome looking. I'm not exactly a small guy (6 foot) but it still felt pretty massive in my hands. I both loved and hated it because the Diamond Controller is pretty awesome! After messing with it for a day or two I realized my favorite part about it was the controller, and I preferred playing around with my smaller Initiate. That might be because I felt like I was going to kill myself trying to spin the Scorpion hahaha - that claw is serious! This goes back to my point about it being a halfway decent self defense weapon (with no blade) in a real life scenario.  Tongue

So it's fascinating getting two wildly different sabers that ended up arriving on the same day. I loved the hilt of one, but the controller of the other. Admittedly now I have my eye on The Guardian, since it is similar to the Scorpion but appears slightly smaller and lighter. I'm finding myself being drawn towards the movie-inspired replicas. The Archon 3.1 and Chosen One are both calling my name as well. Damn it. I see it now. I'm probably going to get them all eventually. At LEAST 1 will have a Diamond board - having the blade fade between two colors while it idles is just amazing.

Thanks for the tip on the warranty - I do realize it probably qualifies. I guess I sound lazy when I say it feels like a hassle; I realize that when out of warranty I can probably just drill/tap a retention screw hole for the LED holder as well and solve it that way. You are right though, it probably shouldn't be able to ground out like that in any way, so I guess we'll see if it readily re-presents itself.

To anyone else looking at sabers, I do recommend at LEAST getting the Emerald board or Diamond board; I thought I loved green/blue colored sabers the most until I lit up purple and orange! You never know what you'll end up liking, as this post clearly indicates. Being able to upload/change soundfonts is pretty awesome too, there are lots of awesome ones available online to buy and some are free!

Ultrasabers hilt builds:

Ultrasabers empties:

Hilt builds:
  Custom chassis, 18650 Li-Ion, bass speaker (2-4w), recharge port, 3rd party saber controller

BatMike90
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2018, 02:55:58 AM »

Well to be fair, I do think the Scorpion is awesome looking. I'm not exactly a small guy (6 foot) but it still felt pretty massive in my hands. I both loved and hated it because the Diamond Controller is pretty awesome! After messing with it for a day or two I realized my favorite part about it was the controller, and I preferred playing around with my smaller Initiate. That might be because I felt like I was going to kill myself trying to spin the Scorpion hahaha - that claw is serious! This goes back to my point about it being a halfway decent self defense weapon (with no blade) in a real life scenario.  Tongue

So it's fascinating getting two wildly different sabers that ended up arriving on the same day. I loved the hilt of one, but the controller of the other. Admittedly now I have my eye on The Guardian, since it is similar to the Scorpion but appears slightly smaller and lighter. I'm finding myself being drawn towards the movie-inspired replicas. The Archon 3.1 and Chosen One are both calling my name as well. Damn it. I see it now. I'm probably going to get them all eventually. At LEAST 1 will have a Diamond board - having the blade fade between two colors while it idles is just amazing.

Thanks for the tip on the warranty - I do realize it probably qualifies. I guess I sound lazy when I say it feels like a hassle; I realize that when out of warranty I can probably just drill/tap a retention screw hole for the LED holder as well and solve it that way. You are right though, it probably shouldn't be able to ground out like that in any way, so I guess we'll see if it readily re-presents itself.

To anyone else looking at sabers, I do recommend at LEAST getting the Emerald board or Diamond board; I thought I loved green/blue colored sabers the most until I lit up purple and orange! You never know what you'll end up liking, as this post clearly indicates. Being able to upload/change soundfonts is pretty awesome too, there are lots of awesome ones available online to buy and some are free!

I have a customized Archon v3.1 with Diamond Controller and it is by far my favorite hilt and I own 5 Dark Prophecies.

Arsenel:
STUNT: Aeon v4 / Bellicose / Dark Apprentice v4 (x2) / Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Phantom Initiate V4 / Prophecy v3 / Renegade LE / Scorpion (x2)
Star Wars Cosplay Alias:
BatMike90's Soundfonts

imgumby001dammit
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 642

The Mighty, Mighty GUM

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2018, 02:57:48 AM »

Good job pal. Congrats!!!

“Someday I will be the most powerful Jedi ever...”

AS

deevee2
Knight Templar

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2018, 03:22:58 PM »

I have a customized Archon v3.1 with Diamond Controller and it is by far my favorite hilt and I own 5 Dark Prophecies.

It is a super nice looking hilt, my only hesitation were the reports that it can't take heavy dueling but I don't really do that anyway.

Ultrasabers hilt builds:

Ultrasabers empties:

Hilt builds:

BatMike90
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2018, 08:43:51 PM »

It is a super nice looking hilt, my only hesitation were the reports that it can't take heavy dueling but I don't really do that anyway.

That is why I picked up the V2.1 emitter!  Grin

Arsenel:
Star Wars Cosplay Alias:
BatMike90's Soundfonts

MNewell1
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 47

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2018, 03:52:31 PM »

This hilt is freaking MASSIVE. One review of it said the saber was designed for a Wookie - and he was right! I should have checked the measurements on it before ordering because despite watching videos it is still much larger than I expected. Frankly, it looks awesome. Doesn't exactly look like it's from the Star Wars universe, but it sure as hell looks like something evil. With the claw you can probably legitimately defend your house from an intruder with it, this thing is super solid! I was initially very torn because it looked amazing, but was almost comically enormous.

Again, made the mistake of getting the guarded switch. They should just burn these things. They suck ass and are super uncomfortable. Go AV switch. Always.

One thing I noticed about the 36" blade vs the 32" that came with my Initiate, is it feels a bit more wobbly when you swing it around. Hard to describe, but you can tell its a longer blade. The 32" feels more like a solid piece with the hilt when you swing it.

Nice Review!

I have the Crimson Scorpion with Tri-Cree Fire Orange, Heavy Blade, AV Switch, and Lite Sound.

Love my Saber!  It is large, but it is ideal for two hands.  However, I am able to handle it with one hand for spinning and dueling after some practice.

Agree on the AV switch.  Never buy anything without it.  The guarded switches cut my hands when spinning and dueling.

I have the 36 inch heavy blade, and it is not wobbly at all.  In fact, I kinda wish that I bought the 40 inch heavy blade because the hilt is so big.....

Pic for your consideration....

MNewell1

Sabers Owned:  Crimson Scorpion - Tri FO
                        Aeon v4 - AB
                        Dark Sentinel LE v4 - Tri AS
                        Initiate v3 - Tri CG
                        Apprentice LE v4 - Tri GB

Wish List:  Emperor's Hand - VA
                Dominix LE v4 - SRD

MNewell1
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 47

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2018, 03:59:55 PM »

Also, here is a link to my review of the Scorpion....
http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=39572.0

MNewell1

Sabers Owned:  Crimson Scorpion - Tri FO
                        Aeon v4 - AB
                        Dark Sentinel LE v4 - Tri AS
                        Initiate v3 - Tri CG
                        Apprentice LE v4 - Tri GB

Wish List:  Emperor's Hand - VA
                Dominix LE v4 - SRD

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: