Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Cashing in on the passing of Stan Lee  (Read 1770 times)
Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« on: November 14, 2018, 09:13:08 PM »

So, a group I am in on Facebook has a post from a Funko group, where someone is trying to selling a Funko, signed by Stan Lee for £450. Now, while this individual is perfectly within their rights to sell their property whenever they want, and people are free to buy whatever memorabilia they want, I made a comment that the timing is a little inappropriate.

While I personally own some comics and posters signed by the great man and would never sell them, I can understand why some people will. But he just died. He's not even buried yet.

What does everyone think? Is selling Stan Lee signed memorabilia now absolutely fine or is the timing a little inappropriate?

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2785

Grey Assassin

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 09:39:08 PM »

To me those are money vultures. Just want to take advatange if a situation to make money. These types of people aren’t true fans and are just after the popularity or the money side of it.  It’s my opinion though but the same thing happened when Michael Jackson died. Signed records and whatnot were posted online for hundreds to thousands of dollars.  I’m not one to judge and it’s their property to do as they please; however, I sometimes wonder about people’s mindset during times like this

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 11:37:58 PM »

If I had anything autographed by Stan Lee, I'd treasure it, especially now that he's gone and won't be signing anything ever again. They'd have to pry it out of my cold, dead fingers to sell it. And, I'm not the world's biggest Marvel fan by any measure.

And, yes, I believe the timing is extremely inappropriate. Like you said, he just died. As Infinit01 said, these people don't care about the great man and his legacy. They only care about money. I hope they enjoy it, because you can't take it with you. Realistically, I hope it doesn't sell, but it likely will. I just hope whoever winds up with it is a true fan and will treasure it, as it should be treasured.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 02:04:12 AM »

I'm assuming it went up right after news of his passing?

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Darth Silenoz
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1287

Sith Juggernaut

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 04:09:06 PM »

On one hand, selling Stan Lee memorabilia was, is and will always just be stupid. Why would you do that? Keep that s#!%!!!

On the other hand, I'm so broke I don't eat every day, so if I had something like that Funko right this second, I'd have to sell it and not give a damn about timing or what other people thought. Who knows? Maybe that guy needs money to pay rent and keep his home, and wishes he didn't have to use Stan's death as a way to make money, but has no choice.

If you don't NEED the money, the timing is extremely inappropriate.

"I believe it is quite possible to misbehave while still employing good manners." - Darth Logos

"There are too many stupid people, and I do not have enough patience for a whole universe of bozos." - Lady Revan

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2018, 11:17:02 PM »

Excellent point, Darth Silenoz. I'd thought of that too, what if the person is really tight on money and thought of a way to get some food money? Just because someone posts something online and seems to be cashing in (and, in fact is) that doesn't mean there aren't extenuating circumstances. Or, this person could just be a scum sucking leech, we really don't know.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2018, 11:17:23 PM »

On one hand, selling Stan Lee memorabilia was, is and will always just be stupid. Why would you do that? Keep that s#!%!!!

On the other hand, I'm so broke I don't eat every day, so if I had something like that Funko right this second, I'd have to sell it and not give a damn about timing or what other people thought. Who knows? Maybe that guy needs money to pay rent and keep his home, and wishes he didn't have to use Stan's death as a way to make money, but has no choice.

If you don't NEED the money, the timing is extremely inappropriate.

true, I unfortunately had to sell my first Ultrasaber not too long after purchasing it.  Was a hard thing to do but, you do what you have to sometimes.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2018, 11:22:37 PM »

I was so broke in about the year 2001-ish that I had to sell my Nintendo 64 console, games and accessories. A true dark time, given my love for gaming and that console in particular. I also sold off some Dreamcast stuff. It was a tough time, right before I entered the Army. Sometimes, you have to do what is necessary to keep going.

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2785

Grey Assassin

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2018, 12:41:19 AM »

I was so broke in about the year 2001-ish that I had to sell my Nintendo 64 console, games and accessories. A true dark time, given my love for gaming and that console in particular. I also sold off some Dreamcast stuff. It was a tough time, right before I entered the Army. Sometimes, you have to do what is necessary to keep going.

Never realized that you’re a fellow brother in arms, SFR. Thank you for your service.

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2018, 10:12:30 PM »

However this person got it if it's his to sell.
If you are a Stan Lee fan you won't understand getting rid of it much less doing it for money just after he passes. But everybody has their own reasons good or bad. I'm not going to judge him.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: