Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: ancient  (Read 6873 times)
jedimayor
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 3

« on: November 15, 2018, 07:01:52 AM »

Doesn't this forum seem medieval?  I mean I'm a huge fan of Ultra Sabers but this sh*t looks ancient.  Seems like you have to blindly find yourself around.  I'm computer illiterate by todays standards but damn this site seems like something from Napster times.  What gives guys?  I bet you could give some techy a couple sabers to update it.  Is this the silk road?

Sabers owned
Aeon V3 Fire Orange
Spectre V4

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 11:41:54 AM »

Is this why you have only made 17 posts in like 3 years of being a member?

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2785

Grey Assassin

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 01:30:16 PM »

Is this why you have only made 17 posts in like 3 years of being a member?

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

jedimayor
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 3

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 07:00:03 PM »

Ha!  Nice one.  It's taken me that long to buy a saber.  Now I have two and fingers crossed more.

Sabers owned
Aeon V3 Fire Orange
Spectre V4

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -372

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 01:57:44 PM »

Doesn't this forum seem medieval?  I mean I'm a huge fan of Ultra Sabers but this sh*t looks ancient.  Seems like you have to blindly find yourself around.  I'm computer illiterate by todays standards but damn this site seems like something from Napster times.  What gives guys?  I bet you could give some techy a couple sabers to update it.  Is this the silk road?

I agree though, the site is a touch dated. I know theres a similar community over on reddit in r/lightsabers but they tend to argue quite a bit about which saber manufacturers are better etc. When theyre not arguing theyre a fun bunch though.

At the end of the day i always seem to come back here for the positivity and small community mindset Smiley

jillian
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 27

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2019, 02:26:26 PM »

It does seem a bit early 2000's.... But it's fun and so far everyone here as been really great. I like the throwback feel, it reminds me of the old Linux forums. Smiley

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2019, 10:36:59 PM »

Honestly?  I come here for two distinct reasons:

1) The sabers

2) The people

BOTH are fantastic IMO and I've had the incredible luck to befriend several members who are wonderful people...which pretty much sums up the majority of the Forum regulars  Smiley

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Ultra
Lord Commander
Administrator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1765

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 08:37:20 AM »

So is it the template you don't like, this particular forum software, or forums in general? If it's the template, suggest a different one and I'll take a look. All forum software is virtually identical, so unless there's some major feature we're missing here, it's not really worth the risk to try to move the database. If it's forums in general... well, yeah, I get it.

Forums are a dated concept in themselves, as pretty much everyone is using some kind of social media platform now. But we're kind of an old company, started in 2005, and this is all us old timers had to offer back then. Forums have been a staple of the saber community since the beginning, yeah, it's old, but that also means there's many years of knowledge and history here.

That said, if there is a way I can make the forum more easily accessible, or just look more modern, I'd be happy to try.

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2019, 07:44:22 PM »

So is it the template you don't like, this particular forum software, or forums in general? If it's the template, suggest a different one and I'll take a look. All forum software is virtually identical, so unless there's some major feature we're missing here, it's not really worth the risk to try to move the database. If it's forums in general... well, yeah, I get it.

Forums are a dated concept in themselves, as pretty much everyone is using some kind of social media platform now. But we're kind of an old company, started in 2005, and this is all us old timers had to offer back then. Forums have been a staple of the saber community since the beginning, yeah, it's old, but that also means there's many years of knowledge and history here.

That said, if there is a way I can make the forum more easily accessible, or just look more modern, I'd be happy to try.
My vote?  Don't touch it!

Forums may be outdated (although I'm not sure why), but they're organized by thread and by time, they're searchable, and... uhh... THEY WORK.

I understand the drive for continuous improvement, but I don't see any need to improve this, other than to add a feature or two (like a button to take me to the first unread post on a given thread).  Facebook is useless when it comes to the kind of interaction we have here, Reddit is far worse when it comes to having a conversation, Imgur doesn't allow for enough text, and I could go on with other platforms, but to be honest, I lack sufficient experience with them to speak knowledgeably.

This is a tried-and-true, time-tested tool that works.  Heck, I've been using them since the previous century.  Until someone can show me something that actually would work better, I'm not interested in change for the sake of change.  In this case, the old adage of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies.

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

Ultra
Lord Commander
Administrator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1765

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2019, 09:19:47 AM »

My vote?  Don't touch it!
add a feature or two (like a button to take me to the first unread post on a given thread).  

Thank you for your vote of confidence! And BTW, that feature already exists, just click on the icon next to the thread title and it will take you to the next new post that you haven't read in that thread.  Smiley

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2785

Grey Assassin

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2019, 04:01:49 AM »

I wonder if he's been in other forums, this one is really good in my opinion.  I've seen lots of "ancient" forums when you get into car enthusiasts forums.

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2019, 04:45:56 PM »

Thank you for your vote of confidence! And BTW, that feature already exists, just click on the icon next to the thread title and it will take you to the next new post that you haven't read in that thread.  Smiley

Well... THANKS!!!!!! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

BatMike90
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -793

Dark (Knight) Side Points.

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2019, 05:16:35 PM »

Honestly?  I come here for two distinct reasons:

1) The sabers

2) The people

BOTH are fantastic IMO and I've had the incredible luck to befriend several members who are wonderful people...which pretty much sums up the majority of the Forum regulars  Smiley

I am with Dutchman on this...

Arsenel:
RGBW DIAMOND: Archon v3.1 / Dominicide / Graflex SE /  Guardian
V4 SOUND : Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Emperor's Hand
STUNT: Aeon v4 / Bellicose / Dark Apprentice v4 (x2) / Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Phantom Initiate V4 / Prophecy v3 / Renegade LE / Scorpion (x2)
Star Wars Cosplay Alias:
Merik Wolfe (Jedi Knight) / Darth Marcotus (Sith Warrior)
BatMike90's Soundfonts

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2019, 10:36:38 PM »

I am with Dutchman on this...

Ditto.   I like it.  :-)    And the only difference you get with updating to something on a social media platform is a little glitz and a LOT of bad attitudes.  :-/   

Besides, a lot of my best writing is here...   

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

BionicDance
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 17

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2019, 10:41:31 PM »

It has been a really long time since I've been on a forum like this one, this format of message board.

But it's been kind of like a blast from the past, all nostalgic an' stuff.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: