Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: HELP!! NEW TO CUSTOMIZING!!!  (Read 1161 times)
Malik Thanewulf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -488

Grey Jedi with MAJOR Sith-like tendencies

« on: November 17, 2018, 07:24:59 AM »

I want to paint the Rings and the emitter on a dark monarch gold. What would be the best type of paint to use on this project? Should I also sand down those silver rings a bit prior to painting? This is the first time I've tried a customization EVER, and I would really appreciate any advice that you can give me old knowledgeable forum.

My Collection: Monarch CE

Wish list:  maybe a Sword of Omens (not sure which color)

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 09:03:39 AM »

I have used paint on a couple sabers. I sand and use a primer before I paint. I also clear coat the paint. Off hand I can't remember the brand if paint I used, it was paint from the local hardware store and hobby store. I haven't looked but I'm sure you could find some good choices at a local car parts place also.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

DarthBoneTD
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -841

High Sith Kommander

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 02:14:40 PM »

I want to paint the Rings and the emitter on a dark monarch gold. What would be the best type of paint to use on this project? Should I also sand down those silver rings a bit prior to painting? This is the first time I've tried a customization EVER, and I would really appreciate any advice that you can give me old knowledgeable forum.

Hi Malik, are you spraying or hand painting? The whole emitter or just certain areas.
I usually hand paint my rings with Testors model paint and spray larger pieces. If your going to spray do the whole thing and vice versa. Get some good short hair brushes if hand painting. I don't like the bristles to long.
1. Either way tape off the areas you don't want painted, I just use blue painters tape.
2. Lightly sand the areas to be painted, 60- 100 grit is what I use and wipe down thoroughly. Usually closer to 100
3. Paint or spray with at least 2 even thin coats, allowing at least a 1/2 hour dry time in between and let it dry overnight. No touchy.
4. Look for any touch ups that need to be made and fix, let dry for 2-3 hours.
5. Hit it with a matte/satin/glossy clear coat (whatever finish you desire, probably glossy for this) 2-3 times giving each one time to dry (about 1-2 hours). Do not touch to see if it's dry unless you like fingerprints in your clear coat. Then let it cure overnight.
6. Remove tape, wipe down the hilt and remove any stick the tape may leave (use the right tape and this won't happen).
7. Admire your work and post pics here so we can ogle your black and gold beauty

I know it's hard to let the paint dry thoroughly. I am very impatient and have used plenty of thinner to learn my lessons about proper dry time. Paint projects that turn out the way I want them usually take 2-3 days or longer if I screw up.

This is just my way, look forward to what anyone else has so I can give it a try.
Hope this helps and look forward to seeing this project.
Here are some pics of what I use:

This is not my favorite gold spray, but it works. I have a Krylon premium that's way nicer, but I think it's in my garage somewhere.
The clear coat is what counts the most.

Lord of a 1000 sabers. Well almost!

Arsenal: Lots (35 Ultra Sabers)
Most Wanted: That one, oh yeah that one too, oh hell all of them.

DarthBoneTD
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -841

High Sith Kommander

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2018, 02:29:49 PM »

I forgot, as TX said use a coat of primer after sanding, it helps with paint bonding.

Lord of a 1000 sabers. Well almost!

Arsenal: Lots (35 Ultra Sabers)
Most Wanted: That one, oh yeah that one too, oh hell all of them.

Malik Thanewulf
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2018, 01:14:05 PM »

I knew I could count on this form to come through. Tuff, DB, I really appreciate this. I'm a bit of an artist myself. Drawing ,painting,sculpting, so I guess we'll see what happens. Anyway, thanks for the advice and believe me I intend to take it. I'll take before during and after pictures. Thanks guys.

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2018, 09:40:12 PM »

Looking forward to seeing what you do!

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2018, 10:07:13 PM »

Points to tx and DBTD for the lnowledge!

imgumby001dammit
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 642

The Mighty, Mighty GUM

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2018, 12:44:41 AM »

Just a quick tip: I like green scotch brite pads for scuffing. You don’t need to sand the surface per se. the paint just needs the substrate surface to be scuffed enough to bite to. Green scotch brite pads work great, are pliable, but easier to work with than sand paper due to their thickness. When I did automotive repaint prep we would use them on almost al the major body surfaces, and we shot a lot of enamel and laquer finishes. Always stuck real good!!

“Someday I will be the most powerful Jedi ever...”

AS

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2018, 03:03:17 AM »

Sounds like DarthBoneTD has this covered

Malik Thanewulf
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2018, 05:09:18 AM »

I gotta say, I'm feeling a lot more confident about this custom job. Spent the day (part of it) looking for the right color paint and other supplies.  Haven't ordered the saber yet ( finalizing the build). Thanks everybody.

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2018, 08:58:54 PM »

NP, Malik

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: