Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down
Author Topic: Hearts of Stone  (Read 23796 times)
Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #90 on: December 12, 2019, 10:26:38 PM »

A few moments of peace, reunion but it cannot last, it never does...in mere hours, perhaps a day events they have no idea were even occurring will explode across M'Tzigon making this scene all the more poignant.  Perhaps that is the Fate of the Mak'Tor and the Jedi, always one step away from the next crisis. Interesting exploration of the Song healing too, how personalised it must be and how taxing it can be.

Thanks LSG.  Maybe its because of the Christmas decorations up in my home now, but I just wanted to end this with a "holiday" scene and a little rest and peace.

I also kinda injected the idea that Donovan married outside the Mak'Tor and into the larger M'Tzigon population.   This would not be the norm but would happen often enough to be considered "normal" among the Mak'Tor.   Just wondering how that would play out?  How would he relate to a large family filled with successful people?

And how will Grandma and Grandpa react when one of those kids shows force talent and Daddy Don starts training him or her?

Might be fodder for a future story.  LOL

As for healing...   It makes sense that it would need to be personalized.  I am a brass player, and I have three different trombones.   Each one requires different tuning techniques and has different tuning characteristics.   I was also imagining in my head how hard and complex a job it is to tune a piano.  Trust me, it is not easy.   :-)   And that's just tuning and instrument in good repair.   Add in some damage and broken stuff...   

Yeah, it would be harder.   Makes the healing arts more impressive.   :-)   Especially something like the Aethan's shatter-point techniques and the regenerative "echo" healing that Karm uses in short-term cases.

Might be a postlude or two coming as well.   Stay tuned!

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #91 on: December 13, 2019, 01:33:11 AM »

Thanks LSG.  Maybe its because of the Christmas decorations up in my home now, but I just wanted to end this with a "holiday" scene and a little rest and peace.

I also kinda injected the idea that Donovan married outside the Mak'Tor and into the larger M'Tzigon population.   This would not be the norm but would happen often enough to be considered "normal" among the Mak'Tor.   Just wondering how that would play out?  How would he relate to a large family filled with successful people?

And how will Grandma and Grandpa react when one of those kids shows force talent and Daddy Don starts training him or her?

Might be fodder for a future story.  LOL

As for healing...   It makes sense that it would need to be personalized.  I am a brass player, and I have three different trombones.   Each one requires different tuning techniques and has different tuning characteristics.   I was also imagining in my head how hard and complex a job it is to tune a piano.  Trust me, it is not easy.   :-)   And that's just tuning and instrument in good repair.   Add in some damage and broken stuff...   

Yeah, it would be harder.   Makes the healing arts more impressive.   :-)   Especially something like the Aethan's shatter-point techniques and the regenerative "echo" healing that Karm uses in short-term cases.

Might be a postlude or two coming as well.   Stay tuned!

Good points, even Aethan abilities while impressive only 'sing' the same song so they can never really heal others or even learn to the way a Mak'tor might - Saani, Sofa and Zearic prime examples of their limited ability to tune - only transform to become like them - but the flip side is they don't need to learn the personal tune of other Aethans like Donovan and Ja'mason did despite both being Mak'Tor - so good at  healing their own terrible at healing outsiders...not that that probably bothers them.

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #92 on: December 13, 2019, 09:56:43 PM »

After everything that Alex & Co have been through, this is most definitely a satisfying conclusion (barring, of course, any epilogues--"yes please!"--to come  Smiley).  And I always love learning more about M'Tzigon^^

OK, I have to say that the introspection between Alex and Donovan with "Tuning" is one of my most favorite parts.  Point of fact, learning more about the mechanics of Singing is something that I will always want to read more about  Smiley  And Alex's reaction to his overuse of the Force likened to a sunburn...well, I think that I'll have to steal that for my own stories  Wink

As far as "Tuning" since I have NO facility whatsoever with musical instruments, I asked my musically-inclined wife!  No surprise, she was also telling me how she has to occasionally do that for her piano (not sure about her flute; all that I know is that she plays a wicked "Greensleaves"  Smiley).  I like the analogue though for the Song and how it would pertain to people (and especially Forceusers).  Again: MORE PLEASE!

Good points, even Aethan abilities while impressive only 'sing' the same song so they can never really heal others or even learn to the way a Mak'tor might - Saani, Sofa and Zearic prime examples of their limited ability to tune - only transform to become like them - but the flip side is they don't need to learn the personal tune of other Aethans like Donovan and Ja'mason did despite both being Mak'Tor - so good at  healing their own terrible at healing outsiders...not that that probably bothers them.
This is a very poignant point, one that I think really sets up a distinctive difference between the Aethans and others. 

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #93 on: December 14, 2019, 01:59:10 PM »

Thanks guys!

I have been thinking about the whole singer/healer connection and how much force energy it takes to heal, and I decided that singers can augment their force "flow" but the real talent is that they can hear the song of the patient and match it in different ways.   Hence "tuning".   :-)   But it is hard, requires a specific talent or "ear", and outside of very basic motifs its just to complex and complicated to implement specifically without intense training and ongoing practice.

Which is why most singers become healers instead of Knights.  they have to "specialize" and the draw has always been more toward healing/helping rather than the more militant arm.   Until the purge, this worked pretty well as the Jedi Order provided security for the healers.   Now, most of that security comes from the Sword of Light, which are non-singers that provide a quasi-military presence when healers go off-world, usually augmented by Knights.   Until fairly recently, the SoL and Knights have a high level of cooperation.   Recent political tensions have eroded that, however, and some segements of the Sword of Light have been trained in anti-Jedi/anti-forceuser combat techniques (by Mak'Tor Knights, ironically) and they are now tasked with arrest and detention of rogue Knights.

This arose around the time of Order 66, when Mak'Tor Knights attempted to clandestinely help fleeing Jedi, which resulted in the death of several Knights - and over a hundred Sword of Light operatives as well as nearly as many regular M'Tzigon military personnel.    This loss of over 20 normal military personnel for each Knight lost, with zero Jedi to show for it (that anyone knows about...) led to the powers-that-be to start contingency plans for containing the Mak'Tor if it became necessary.

For those folks, a "Wizard" like Karmack is their worst nightmare made flesh.   And bringing home stray Jedi like Alex ...  also not considered a good thing...

Just sayin'.   LOL

Not sure why I just laid all of that out, but there it is.  All just started as "why is healing so hard" and evolved from there, with a heavy dose of back-story development thrown in for good measure.

Just one epilogue coming, then we can get back to the main event...

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #94 on: December 14, 2019, 07:47:15 PM »

Thanks guys!

I have been thinking about the whole singer/healer connection and how much force energy it takes to heal, and I decided that singers can augment their force "flow" but the real talent is that they can hear the song of the patient and match it in different ways.   Hence "tuning".   :-)   But it is hard, requires a specific talent or "ear", and outside of very basic motifs its just to complex and complicated to implement specifically without intense training and ongoing practice.

Which is why most singers become healers instead of Knights.  they have to "specialize" and the draw has always been more toward healing/helping rather than the more militant arm.   Until the purge, this worked pretty well as the Jedi Order provided security for the healers.   Now, most of that security comes from the Sword of Light, which are non-singers that provide a quasi-military presence when healers go off-world, usually augmented by Knights.   Until fairly recently, the SoL and Knights have a high level of cooperation.   Recent political tensions have eroded that, however, and some segements of the Sword of Light have been trained in anti-Jedi/anti-forceuser combat techniques (by Mak'Tor Knights, ironically) and they are now tasked with arrest and detention of rogue Knights.

This arose around the time of Order 66, when Mak'Tor Knights attempted to clandestinely help fleeing Jedi, which resulted in the death of several Knights - and over a hundred Sword of Light operatives as well as nearly as many regular M'Tzigon military personnel.    This loss of over 20 normal military personnel for each Knight lost, with zero Jedi to show for it (that anyone knows about...) led to the powers-that-be to start contingency plans for containing the Mak'Tor if it became necessary.

For those folks, a "Wizard" like Karmack is their worst nightmare made flesh.   And bringing home stray Jedi like Alex ...  also not considered a good thing...

Just sayin'.   LOL

Not sure why I just laid all of that out, but there it is.  All just started as "why is healing so hard" and evolved from there, with a heavy dose of back-story development thrown in for good measure.

Just one epilogue coming, then we can get back to the main event...
OK, I for one LOVE reading about this kind of exposition, especially since I've become so invested in not only the Mak'Tor but in M'Tzigon and the native population as a whole (the Sword of Light is something that is VERY interesting for me Smiley).

The military wing of M'Tzigon's government also makes for wonderful pathos: just goes to show that just because two organizations may be alike, that does not mean that their collective aims are aligned.

Anyhow, looking forward to more!

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #95 on: December 19, 2019, 03:15:58 AM »

Postlude
Orax System
Undisclosed location
6 ABY - S'Kar'Yom

The descent was gentle, the black pod easing gently down to the ground without any power leakage or thruster flares as the Iron Knights within cradled it in the force, guiding it in using the force alone in a display of coordinated energies that would have impressed any other force users observing.

No one, however, was present to see it happen, and the pitch blackness and deep canyon of the landing site had been chosen in part to keep it that way.  The human mining colonies were also on the opposite side of the planet, far away and clustered around the shallow and wide-spread crystal beds that the Shard primarily called home.   However, there were veins of the native crystal threaded all through the crust of Orax, and while some Shard had not been able to escape the onslaught many had fled through the crystaline lattice, transferring through the propagating media in the way of their people...

...and gathering here, at the Caves of Thought.  The place where Shard first awoke ... and where they first felt the Force.

Opal activated her body and left the pod, followed by Cobolt.  It took them a half-hour, even with the force, to move the pod deep into one of the caves where the dense crystaline matrix and metallic ores would completely shield it from all observation.  Done, they turned and went deeper.

It would take them some time to reach the deep Matrix, the continuum of crystaline ore that supported the Shard and served as both body and home.  It would take very little time more to recruit volunteers to inhabit the remaining droid bodies.  There were many members of the Iron Knights from the past who had returned to the Matrix who would welcome the opportunity to defend their people and planet.

Then, once they were ready, she would reach out to Master Shrall...

...soon...

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #96 on: December 19, 2019, 10:33:11 PM »

So...forming up a large, nominally defensive force to protect the matrix....and get ready for...what exactly...hmmm, Opals motives throughout this have never been fully detailed not that I think about it, even the revelation she is royalty in itself shows she was holding things back to a degree (though arguably didn't matter given her situation)....Now that they are all back together...hmmm....

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #97 on: December 22, 2019, 12:16:42 PM »

Arghrgh!!

This just raises THAT many more questions, leaving another dangling thread...in other words: a perfect epilogue!

Yeah Opal's motives are still questionable, especially in light of "her" association with Master Shrall.  Yet another reason that we come back for more  Wink

Keep it coming, Karm^^

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #98 on: December 24, 2019, 12:30:39 AM »

You are both right, we never really got to Opal's motives.   Pity....      :-)

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #99 on: December 24, 2019, 06:58:14 AM »

Phew... Only like 6 other stories that I'm not caught up on yet. As always, it is great to learn more about the Mak'Tor culture and how everything works.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: