Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down
Author Topic: Hearts of Stone  (Read 23949 times)
Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2019, 11:27:28 PM »

Chapter 5: Interlude Part 2
Mak'Tor Enclave
Syvris, Outer Rim
5 ABY

"So, Opal, what have we got?"

Ja'Mason had remained behind with the Shard in the landing bays while Donavan, Alex and Joanna had charged off to relieve the Mak'Tor mission.  Together they'd cracked the security on the merc's computers.  The discoveries had been ... disturbing.

First, they'd found a full set of schematics for the Mak'Tor mission facilities on both Peg Shar and Syvris, as well as missions on three other worlds.  Ja'Mason had already sent warning messages to those places and received acknowledgements, much to his relief.  Next they'd confirmed that the Mak'Tor crystals were the objective, but had been alarmed to find that Donovan, Ja'Mason, Elo'Na'Racc and the other healers had all be given a bounty as well.  As had Alex and Joanna.  They'd then discovered that Alex had been identified as a "person of interest" in relation to a possible siting of a free Shard with a "terminate with extreme prejudice" order attached for both Alex and the Shard in question.  The accompanying description had been a dead ringer for Opal's former droid body.   And as a final unpleasant surprise, they'd discovered that the Hope had been tagged with a tracking device. 

They'd spent the last two days searching for it....

"I have eliminated 87.424% of the ship and narrowed the search to the hyperdrive system itself as well as several minor sub-systems that tie into both the drive and the comm system.  Gambler and Blip did a complete survey of the ship's outer hull with zero results: they are now completing an exhaustive survey of the inner hull with..."  Opal cut off in mid-sentence, her head twitching slightly to the left in a gesture Ja'Mason was coming to recognize as surprise and interest.  "Update: I think I have it, friend Ja'Mason.  Confirming..."

Ja'Mason moved to look over the Shard's shoulder at the computer terminal, only to shake his head.  The Shard was not a droid, but she had a droid's operating system and processing speed; the screen was a hashed blur of symbols and numbers that made his head hurt.  But based on the graphics and schematics flashing by she was deep in the Hope's navigational computer.  The screens flicked by for several seconds and then suddenly froze with a datablock highlighted.  "Well well well..."

"Tracker isolated and stored for future analysis ... repairing programming ..." Opal intoned, sounding more like a droid than normal as the screens began flickering again.  Unlike the search, repairs only took a few moments and Opal withdrew.  "Repairs complete."

Ja'Mason poured a cup of cafe from the machine and sat down at the lounge table.  "So, what was it Opal?  Not a physical tracker after all?"

"No, Friend Ja'Mason.  It appears that the navicomputer itself was compromised.  The code is highly advanced and appeares to be based on Imperial technology but it has been highly modified.  There were also connections to the emergency transpoder.  Every time the computer implemented a course, the emergency transpoder transmitted a burst transmission, updating whoever was listening with our movements."

"How rude." Ja'Mason quipped.  "Still, you have to admire it.  Using the ship's own systems to track it ... very efficient.  Just what I would expect from the Impies."

"But we did not encounter Imperial forces before we were intercepted by the Interdictor." Opal replied, puzzled.  "And this could not have been inserted via comm.  It would require a direct, hard-line interface."

"Which means whoever those Imperials were, they're behind the muscle chasing us." Ja'Mason replied.  "C'mon, Opal.  Time for us to report to our bosses."

<<<<  >>>>

"Joanna..." Alex breathed the name, his eyes moist as his wife walked shakily into the room.  She was unsteady and obviously weak, her healed wounds covered by the soft gray of Mak'Tor acolyte robes though Alex could detect faint pink traces on the back of her left hand and on the left side of her face.  Her green eyes were clear, however, and they shone as she stopped and opened her arms to him.  Alex folded her in his arms, burying his face in her hair and for a long, perfect moment everything was right with the world.  "I love you, Joanna Krin."

"And I love you, Alex Krin." Joanna whispered back.  She kissed him and then pulled his head down to whisper in his ear.  "One day you need to explain to me how it is I am still alive.  I felt the missile, Alex.  I felt it go through me..."

"Shhh." Alex pulled back, placing a finger on her lips and capturing her eyes with his own.  "I will.  For now its enough that you're here.  Hold onto that.  The One who loves us will fill in the rest for us as we need to understand."

Joanna blinked as tears streamed down her cheeks but she nodded, capturing his hand and kissing it.  "OK."

Alex pulled her tight again, looking up to see Ann'a and Ne'Li standing behind her.  "Thank you.  Thank you both."

"You're welcome."  Ne'Li replied, her own eyes shining.  "Now, I believe Do'Na'Vann and Ja'Mason and the one called Opal wish to speak with you.  Go, we have preparations to make."

Alex nodded, and with his wife tucked protectively under his arm he walked out into the main atrium, ready again to face whatever was about to be revealed to them.

<<<<  >>>>

"The Empire?  The EMPIRE is after you?  And us?  Why?!?"

Opal's head dropped.  "This is partially my fault, friend Alex.  They seek to end me.  I know not why, but I suspect it has something to do with the reason I was taken offline in the first place."  The Shard's shoulders drooped further.  "Though I must admit I do not know what those reasons are."

"They want the crystals, Alex.  We're all just collateral to that." Donovan interjected.  "The other three sites are being evacuated with some help from the Sons, they'll stage through Actis Minor and back to M'Tzigon.  But with the knights, healers and acolytes here we have twenty souls to find transport for."

Alex shook his head.  "That's more than the Hope can handle.  We'd be crammed in like sardines and run out of air before the end of the first jump."

"What about the Kom'rk transports?" Sif interjected.  "If Ja'Mason broke into their systems we should be able to use one of them to evacuate everyone.  Are they intact?"

"One is.  I'm afraid the cockpit of one was ... mangled ... pretty badly.  The other one, though, is intact and flight worthy." Ja'Mason replied.  "There'd be plenty of room on board for everyone."

"Not everyone." Joanna spoke up.  She looked at Alex.  "These people have put a price on our heads.  I want some answers."

"As do I." Donovan said.  He looked at Sif'an.  "Sif, do you have a pilot on your team?"

"I do." Sif replied.  "I assume you want me to take your cargo and healers with me?"

"Yes.  Get everyone back to M'Tzigon and give Cage Lo a heads-up about this situation."  Donovan turned to Alex.  "Ja'Mason and I would like to accompany you, if you'll have us?  Maybe we can find out exactly what's going on ... and how to deal with it?"

Alex felt the swelling in the force, the sense of peace and reinforcement, and he smiled.  "You're most welcome.  Just be ready to get your hands dirty."

"We're Gray.  A little dirt just adds to the texture."  Donovan grinned and extended his hand.  "So, where are we headed?"

Alex took it.  "The belly of the beast, where everything is for sale: Nar Shadda."

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2019, 01:31:59 AM »

Lol that Rogue singer strike again!

I liked the explanation of the mechanics of the healing song

“Its a modification of a memory motif of all things.  The way it was explained was that the force rebuilds the body into the undamaged state it had before the injury was sustained.  The crystal helps focus the energy and allows me to tie in other people, otherwise the energy required would be to much for all but the smallest repairs. There is also a time factor, the body only 'remembers' how it was for a few hours.  The longer you wait, the less effective the technique will be.  After even a few days full healing is impossible and after only a couple of weeks it doesn't work at all."”

Very powerful but clearly not quite…stable….and seems to take a lot out of the people who use it - arguably you couldn’t use it on mass if it takes 5 people to heal 1 person and leaves them spent...I wonder if they’d had one less person could they have done it?

The idea of the memory motif link is also very interesting, sort of like in FotA in a sense where Valens is seeking out the dead women’s presence…they only linger for so long, which I based on the EU where Luke noted how force spirits gradually fade – this could neatly fit into that presumably the first thing to go is the ‘body’ memory creating a strong time limit for physical repair – you could theoretically still fix things after that but you would have to substitute ‘new’ designs for the parts the memory has been lost for and would doubtless take a huge amount of not only anatomical knowledge but force power to achieve – and the result would be of questionable authenticity at best.

Sorry long rant on that curious topic.

And finally we know the truth (Nicholas) Cage Lo!

Hmm let’s see Mercenaries and Imperials after us…I know lets go to Nar Shadda….erm yeah…there’s taking the bull by the horns and then there is potentially walking straight into the Lions den….Anyway does raise the question is it the Crystals or Opal they want…both seem very valid options…wonder if he'll look into Elo'Na's prophecy as well while there.

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2019, 03:14:24 AM »

There is actually another reason to go to Nar Shadda...   ;-)

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2019, 02:32:08 PM »

I agree with LSG. Your description of the "new" motif was extraordinary. And I too found the fact that it is a modified memory motif very interesting. I really wish this was canon, because it would add so much to the lore of the Force and would actually make more sense than a lot of it does now.

I do love how well known Karmack has become. Everyone knows his name now, and they all have strong feelings about how he does things.

I'm interested to see what will happen when they discover that Cage Lo is gone, and how that will affect the rest of the story (if at all). As always, can't wait for more.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2019, 12:28:51 PM »

I have to admit: Alex&Co are welcome additions (and hopefully mainstays) in the Mak'Tor narrative!  Opal is a wonderful character (and one that I'm thinking that has/hides a veritable wealth of backstory).

Karm, I love the tracking mechanism that Opal uncovered (I might have to steal that for an upcoming arc  Wink).  And now we're back to Nar Shadda (maybe a cameo by a familiar face?)  BUT my favorite component is an in-depth picture of Mak'Tor Singing.  Personally, I'd love to read/hear more about the Song (still one of the BEST additions to Star Wars Lore IMO).

Looking forward to reading more Karm!

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2019, 03:38:18 PM »

Chapter 6: Smuggler's Moon
Spaceport Docks
Nar Shaddaa
5 ABY

"So ... why Nar Shaddaa again?" Ja'Mason asked from the Navigator's station.  His voice was calm and casual, but Alex could feel the tension flowing through him.

Alex glanced at his wife before turning to face the nervous Mak'Tor.  "We have ... contacts here."

"Contacts.  What kind of contacts?"

"People who can help us with our 'Imperial entanglements'." Alex elaborated, turning back to his console.  "People who may or may not be trustworthy.  People who owe us ... and may prefer to eliminate the debtor rather than pay off the debt."  He glanced back at the gray-robed Knight.  "People who really don't like Jedi."

Ja'Mason scowled, then looked down at his robe.  "Oh.  Right.  We brought combat utilities with us.  I'll, uh, just go change..." 

Joanna waited for Ja'Mason to reach the cargo bay before she spoke.  She kept her voice low, though her own intense emotions also burned brightly in the force for Alex to see: Worry, traces of fear, excitement, anger...   "I will say it again: Hokk Dnum is a bad play!  He's mixed in with Lannik Racto and those freaky 'Reborn'.  For all we know he may be the one behind the hit order!  The Reborn would certainly love to get his hands on something like these Mak'Tor crystals!"

"True...  But Hokk is a straight-up techno-nerd.  He slices into Impie systems for fun and even the Hutts buy his security systems to keep their crypto safe.  And he owes me.  Big time."  Alex sighed.  "No, he'll play straight with me.  I just hope he hasn't gone and traded the cache for death stix or spice."  He looked over at his wife again.  "Besides, your friend Zimra isn't exactly trustworthy, either.  Didn't he threaten to sell you to the Hutts as a pleasure slave the last time you and your Uncle were here?"

"Yes... but that was a long time ago!  Besides, he wasn't serious.  If he'd really meant it..."  Joanna left the thought hanging.  Zimra Ceopas was a shrewed and ruthless businessman who had a profound weakness for red-heads.  Which wouldn't have stopped him from murdering her Uncle and selling her into slavery ... if the price had been right.  But for whatever reason he really like Joanna and she trusted him.  Joanna had never told Alex why, he only knew that the relationship stretched back to when she was first apprenticing with her Uncle, before she'd ever met Alex, and that for all its veneer of mystery and danger it was genuine and more akin to a father-daughter relationship than anything else.  "I'll take Opal with me.  That should help dissuade any 'squishies' from getting any ideas."

"Good." Alex noted an incoming transmission and shunted it to Joanna.  "Nar Shaddaa control has assigned us a flight path and landing privileges at pad 227-D.  Not to far from the Promenade."  Alex laid his hand protectively on Joanna's thigh.  "Be careful, and wear some armor, eh?  We don't have a Mak'Tor healer with a magic crystal to put anyone back together this time." 

"If you say so." Joanna locked the flight corridor into the computer and sat back.  She looked at the glistening moon growing in the view port and sighed.  "It looks so pretty from space ... why does it have to be so full of evil?"

Alex shook his head.  "I don't know.  Just remember where we are and that we're marked.  Your "Uncle Zimmie" might overlook the bounty, but you can bet there are hundreds or thousands of others who would love to collect it."

"Got it."  Joanna replied.  "What about the Wonder Twins?"

Alex grimaced slightly.  "I'll take them with me.  Hopefully they know how to keep a low profile."

<<<<  >>>>

Ja'Mason finished strapping on the thigh armor as the Hope settled onto the landing pad.  "Is this really necessary?"

Donovan walked over and gripped the edges of his partner's chest plate and gave it a tug.  The clam-shell, properly strapped, didn't budge, but the tug unbalanced the Knight just as the ship lurched, tossing him to the floor in a heap. "Hey!"

Donovan grinned down at him.  "Secure, and now you know you can move freely in it.  To answer your question: Yes, it is.  First, we don't know what we're walking into here, but you can be sure that whatever it is will include lots of heavily armed people.  Second, we need to be discrete and blend in.  The armor will help on both accounts."

Ja'Mason rose gracefully and poked his chest.  "Ok...  But I feel like a walking toaster."

"I actually find the effect somewhat alluring, friend Ja'Mason." Opal chimed in, emerging from the armory.  She had sturdy-looking leather belts festooned with pouches and sporting holstered DL-44 blasters in each hand.  "Since you cannot carry your weapons internally as I can, you will need these however."

"Thanks." Donovan took the belt and buckled it on.  "What's this long pouch for?"

"Guess." Alex entered the cargo hold, holding his lightsaber in his hand. "Out of sight, out of mind..." he said, brandishing it briefly before ducking into his own quarters.

"Of course!" The Knight un-clipped his own saber from the light belt he'd already fastened around his waist and deposited it into the narrow sheath.  "There.  Stealth mode."

"You call this stealth?" Ja'Mason put his arms out and twirled, scattering light from the polished armor.  "I feel like a S'Kar'Yom decoration!

Alex laughed through the open door.  "Ja'Mason, that's exactly right: You're decoration.  Showy, obvious body guards for someone with money who has way to high an opinion of their own worth."  He re-emerged and the transformation was startling.  A quick change of clothing and Alex had gone from free-trader to money-man, his clothing screaming "wealth" to anyone who had eyes to see.  He eyed Joanna, emerging from the cockpit and donning flashy armor of her own.  "To bad we have to split up.  You should see the dress Joanna has to go with this suit."

Both Knights looked involuntarily at Joanna, eyes slightly wide, then as one they both looked away quickly, their cheeks flaming with embarrassment.  Joanna gave her husband a stern look.  "Alex...."

Alex laughed.  "Sorry.  Its just, they're so easy...ow!"  He recoiled as Joanna punched him in the arm.  "Spousal abuse!  You all saw it!"

"Friend Alex, perhaps we should focus on the task at hand?" Opal interjected, and the atmosphere in the room seemed to shift.

"Yes, you're right Opal." Alex withdrew a small data rod from his pocket and plugged it into the main holographic display in the crew lounge area.  A map of their immediate surroundings sprang to life, with cutaways for the descending levels of the mega-city.  A small yellow bead strobed at the top center of the cylinder.  "This is Nar Shaddaa, the area known as The Docks.  The Promenade is nearby, which is the main tourist area and one of the few areas on the planet that is reasonably safe."

"Reasonable for whom?" Donovan quipped.  "This armor and weaponry isn't just for show."

"No, its not." Joanna replied, taking over.  "Nar Shaddaa is a dangerous place.  Everything - and everyone - is for sale.  But the Promenade is the closest thing to a tourist section on the planet and its vigorously patrolled by the Hutt's security details.  Its as safe as any urban area in the galaxy, but you still need to watch your back.  This is where Opal and I will be going: The Stallion, a public house that caters to tourists looking for a good time.  Its owned and operated by Zimra Ceopas, a long-time friend of my family.  'Uncle Zimmie' has extensive connections with the Hutts, the smugglers, and the Empies, and his establishment is considered neutral ground, a free-trade zone where everyone can meet and do business.  It would take something huge to compel anyone to break that truce.  I should be safe with him, And he can identify which mercenary group has been hired to track us down ... and where they're located."

"As for us," Alex said, picking up the narrative from his wife, "we'll be heading into one of the high-rent areas to visit an information broker..."

"You mean slicer." Ja'Mason interrupted.

"...an information broker with whom I've had dealings in the past.  He owes me, more than he could ever repay, but with a little luck he'll be able to help us identify the Imperial remnant tracking us and help us break contact with them."

"Sounds like a risky contact to me." Donovan said.  "What if he isn't inclined to pay you back?"

"Well, that's why I'm taking two security guards with me." Alex replied.  "Just be on your toes.  This is the easy part.  Once we find out who's after us, the real work begins.  Are you Mak'Tor up for it?"

"You can count on us." Ja'Mason replied.

<<<<  >>>>

Joanna moved with confidence through the multi-colored neon of the Promenade, light winking her armor as well as the polished skin of Opal's body.  To the many eyes and sensors no doubt focused on them the Shard would appear to be an Imperial security droid.  Her presence would mark Joanna as someone with Imperial patronage and protection, which was a good thing in this part of Nar Shaddaa.  Her armor would further indicate that she herself was a hired gun: someone dangerous and not to be trifled with.

As they moved along the crowded walkway Joanna's fingers brushed the handle of her DL-44.  Not for the first time she wished she could sense the force like her husband.  She had a bad feeling about this meeting, but she was pretty sure it was just nerves.  She and "Uncle Zimmie" hadn't parted on the best of terms the last time she'd seen him, and he had to know she'd been back several times with Alex and never looked him up.  Despite her confident bluster, she wasn't totally convinced he wouldn't try to make good on his parting threat those years ago...  "Get a grip, girl..."

"What would you like me to grasp, friend Joanna?" Opal replied smoothly, her voice shockingly loud in her earpiece and making her jump slightly.

"Oh...  Nothing, nothing.  Just trying to calm my nerves.  Uncle Zimmie and I haven't spoken in some time.  I'm just a little worried that seeing him again will be awkward." 

"Take heart, friend Joanna.  You have me at your back." The Shard chuckled softly, a natural sound that a real security droid would never be able to make.  "If it gets to awkward we will depart.  In peace if possible.  Through the squishies if not."

Joanna grinned.  "Opal, where did you come up with 'squishies' as a term for organics?"

"Our security trainer taught it to us.  He had a hulking body, nearly as large as an adult Rancor.  Rumor was that he had come up with it from the sound his enemies made as they squished out between his toes.  I remember one story in particular; there was a large force of..."

"Enough.  We're here." Joanna couldn't help but smile as she entered the main doorway.  "The Stallion" was what is sounded like - a tourist trap that catered to the desires of spacers and tourists looking for substances and experiences that were exotic and generally illegal on more civilized worlds.  As Joanna entered the vast establishment she took in the large, centrally located bar, the half-clad figures of several species and multiple genders writhing on various raised platforms to the numbing rhythm that permeated the establishment, and what seemed like hundreds of people clustered around the platforms, gaming tables and bar trying to get their piece of the action.  This was "The Stallion" that 99% of those entering knew ... but it was just a front for where the real business was conducted.  "Follow me, Opal ... and try not to squish anything..."

With a deep breath Joanna plunged into the crowd, Opal following close behind.  Despite her careful navigation more than one individual made contact with - and bounced off of - her armor.  The contact was usually accompanied by a half-heard apology but these were interspersed with propositions and offers of death stix, spice, or other substances.  Joanna ignored them all, her attention focused on her goal - a small alcove neatly hidden in the back corner and covered by two unobtrusive guards.  She slid between two groups of enthralled spacers clustered around dance platforms occupied by lithe Twi'lecks and was trying to decide exactly what to say to the door guards when someone with a little more heft than the average bumped her off course.  She stumbled and impacted a man standing with his back to her, a muted clink announcing that like her the individual was wearing armor.  In an instant her focus shifted and she stepped back, creating a slight air gap between them in the crush.  "My apologies..."

The armored figure turned and Joanna felt her eyes widen in recognition.  "Joe?  Joe!  What are you doing here??"

Joseph Singleton, human, Captain of the free trader "Shoshana" blinked twice while his brain caught up with events.  Joanna had just enough time to read a look of shock, surprise and abject terror on his face before he overcame the surprise and re-asserted control.  "Red!  Its ... so good to see you.  You look well."  He grasped her hand and clapped his left on her shoulder, a friendly gesture that also confirmed that she was fully armored under her cloak.  "Still paranoid, I see. 

Tell me, are you still hopping around on that ancient XS Light Freighter with that crusty uncle of yours?  Where is old Sam anyway?"

Joanna frowned.  "Uncle Sam is dead.  He was killed ... some time ago."

"Oh.  I'm sorry to hear that.  I hope his death wasn't the reason you've been gone so long?" Singleton probed lightly.  He was obviously curious but even as he spoke his eyes darted nervously around the room and his hand on her arm started to guide her deeper into the throng. 

"No.  I ... met someone.  Some time ago.  We're married." Joanna blurted out, resisting his pull.  Her cheeks flamed.  Why did you blurt that out, girl?  Just because he's an old flame doesn't mean he gets your life's story!  Are you going to confess that you're married to a Jedi next?!?  "We've been working a regular run in other areas, but a recent job brought us through so I thought I'd stop and say hello to Uncle Zimmie."

"Married!  Congratulations!  That explains why no hug and kiss then." Joe's eyes twinkled in mirth, but there was still a hard edge to them.  "So, just a friendly visit then?  Can I at least buy you a drink, for old time's sake?" Again, the hand on her arm, guiding her deeper into the crowd.

"No, thanks, I'm on a schedule..." Joanna replied, again pulling away.  This time the hand on her forearm didn't release: it clamped down like iron.  "Ow!"

Before she could say more or do anything her former flame had pulled her into the cover he sought. With a jerk he brought her face to his, nose-to-nose.  "Listen, Red, you shouldn't be here.  It isn't safe.  Zimra has a price on your head...UURK" 

Opal's fingers closed on the smuggler's neck.  "Your behavior is extremely impolite, squishy.  Please release Friend Joanna."

Joanna felt his hands release her as his face turned dark red.  "Loosen up, Opal.  He's not trying to hurt me."  Joanna wrung her hand and arm and waited as Joe recovered from the Shard's iron grip.  "Better?"

He nodded.  "Ye...  Yes.  Now, you need to go before Zimra's thugs make an identification."

Joanna looked back at the alcove.  The two guards were standing closer together now, one was holding a data padd while the other spoke into a communications device.  Both had their free hands on their weapons ... and both of them were staring right at them.

At her...  Joanna swallowed, forcing panic down.  "To late.  Joe, thanks for the warning.  I hope this doesn't get you into to much trouble?"

"Probably not as much as passing on that bounty is going to cost me with my crew if they ever find out." He replied with a lopsided grin.  "Take care of yourself, Red.  And tell whatever-his-name-is how lucky he is for me, eh?"

"You bet."  Joanna replied, giving the big smuggler a quick hug.  "Now, go left."

"Aye..."  He said, moving back into the group of spacers still ogling the dancing Twi'Lek. 

"Friend Joanna, we must depart.  I detect multiple armed men approaching." Opal said, her voice nervous.

"Wait for it..." Joanna replied, staying non-chalant and appearing to resume her movement toward the rear portal.  "Any second now..."

"Get your paws off me!  I said no!" Joanna whipped around in time to see a scantily-clad woman shove Joe backwards.  He careened sideways into another couple, catching their drinks with his elbows in what had to be a deliberate move.  The drinks cascaded over the furry back of a Wookie standing at the bar.  With a roar the Wookie turned, ignoring the bowcaster slung over his shoulder in favor of physically grasping the man holding the empty glass and hurling him bodily across the room - and into the pair of security guards, just stepping forward in an attempt to quell the outburst before it could begin.

The man was quickly followed by his companion through the air, with additional bodies erupting away from the enraged (and apparently already drunk) Wookie as other patrons and security forces moved to intervene.   The fight spread as the bar's patrons stampeded, most simply attempting to get out but as they came into contact new fights broke out, spreading the conflict ... and the chaos.

"Stay close to me, Friend Joanna!" Opal stood like a rock in the ebb and flow of the crowd.  Moving steadily, she used minimal but effective force to clear a path to the edge of the room, which allowed them to work their way toward the door.  As they reached the portal, Joanna looked back one more time toward the door into the inner sanctum.  Standing framed in the open doorway was Zimra Ceopas, flanked by guards and sporting a massive frown. 

Their eyes met.  Joanna searched, desperate for any sign of compassion or regret.  All she saw was hard, hot anger.  With a sigh she turned and followed Opal back out into the Promenade and its milling, anonymous crowds.  She an Opal moved swiftly and randomly, pausing frequently, always looking for pursuit.  They found none, but as Joanna paused to purchase a cup of cafe - and let Opal check again for any pursuit - she felt something scratchy on the inside of her wrist.  With a frown she withdrew it from her glove.  "Joe..."

The message was short.  You need help.  Meet me at the usual place.  J

"Good news?"  Opal asked, continuing her scan.

Joanna sipped her drink.  "Maybe.  C'mon, lets go.  I need to check in, and we have a long ways to go."

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2019, 10:39:31 PM »

I was hoping Joanna would get her own 'episode' and you delivered right on time in the  relatively less seedy areas of Nar Shadda! even more players entering the game now with out Gray heroes right in the middle as motives and goals seem to shift all about them.  Have to say the 'Reborn' angle is very interesting inclusion of legends material, of course its not official they are involved, but that could be a very interesting spanner in the works...I wonder though what would Force natives think of people artificially awakened to the force...

Lord_S_Gray

Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2019, 03:21:46 PM »

Thanks.  I didn't want her to just be a background character or someone to take damage.  She has a history on Nar Shaddaa which Alex does not.   Alex has a few contacts, but Joanna and her Uncle were fully "plugged in" at one time. 

AS for the 'Reborn'...    Well.  We shall see.  ;-)

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2019, 10:58:35 PM »

When I heard/read about the new live action TV show "The Mandalorian" coming out, I thought that it could be something special: a saltier version of SW that Rogue One hinted at.  Well, Alex, Joanna, & Co are the PERFECT example of how that genre CAN work in the SW Universe!  I absolutely enjoy the characters as they vacillate between anti-hero and people in forced predicaments that really balances the realistic tone with the fantasy of a "galaxy far, far away."   Smiley

LSG makes a wonderful point: the Joanna-centric chapter is not only overdue, but was thoroughly enjoyable!  And with relatives like Zimra, who needs enemies?  Wink

Can't wait for more Karm!

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2019, 10:36:55 PM »

Just got around to reading this chapter. Lots of good stuff in here. How "Squishies" came to be called squishies, etc. Grin

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2019, 11:16:27 PM »

Chapter Seven: Black Magic
Near the Spaceport Docks
Nar Shaddaa
5 ABY

"I think we're being followed."  Alex said as non-chalantly as possible.  "Dark hooded figure, about 40 meters back.  They've been with us for the last twenty minutes or so."

Donovan didn't look, instead using a handy glass front as a mirror to examine the throng behind them.  "I see them.  You're sure they've not just going our way?  I'm not picking up anything unusual in the song or the force."

"Me, either.  But I've been catching glimpses of them almost since we left the berth, and they stop when we stop."  Alex frowned.  "There's a cafe shop around the corner.  Let's grab a cup and see if our friend joins us."

"Sounds good." Donovan agreed.  "Assuming they are following us, what's next?"

"Well then ... we go down the rabbit hole." Alex replied with a grin.  "Come on, let me buy you boys a drink.  That armor looks heavy."

<<<<  >>>>

"Still there..." Ja'Mason said quietly.  "I lost him while we were in the cafe shop but I'm catching a glimpse again every now and then."

"Me, too." Alex said.  "OK, there's a narrow alleyway coming up.  Donovan, turn in there.  Ja'Mason, as soon as we turn in find a dark doorway and duck into it."

"You say so..." The Mak'Tor couldn't quite hide the incredulity in his voice.  Alex had assured the Knights he could cover their presence while projecting a false image of them ahead.  He didn't need their "song" to know that they didn't believe he could pull it off, but he didn't really care if they believed him or not.  He knew he could do it.  All he needed was for them to follow his lead. 

"I do.  Donovan and I will take the next convenient place and I'll pull the covers over us until he passes you.  When he's between us, we'll spring the trap and find out who he is and what he's after."

"But..." Ja'Mason started, only to be cut off by Donovan's growled response.

"Let's do it.  And stay covert if at all possible.  Understood?"

"Affirm." Ja'Mason grumped. 

"Good." Alex suppressed a sigh. "We need information.  Let's get some, eh?"

The Knights fell silent and Alex suppressed another sigh.  He'd begun to notice the two Knights chaffing a bit at his leadership.  Donovan was a natural leader and very pragmatic, Ja'Mason more dogmatic in his views and a bit more stubborn.  Both of them, however, were very firm in their belief in the superiority of their 'song' to the more traditional Jedi teachings.  While he'd already seen some amazing things (and heard stories even more fantastic) that their song could do he was growing tired of their unconscious arrogance and sense of superiority.  He found that he was actually looking forward to teaching them a thing or two - and showing them that they didn't in fact have a corner on "special abilities".

The tension between them ratcheted up slightly as they turned the corner.  Alex immediately squelched it, driving his energy and hormone levels back down to normal.  Hopefully their tail wouldn't notice it ... or assume it meant they were nearing their own destination.  There was a house of ill repute further down this alley, a place where business of many types was conducted.  Before they'd taken more than three steps into the dark, narrow alley all three of them had their bodies back under control.  With a nod Ja'Mason broke off and melted back into a dark doorway, disappearing from sight in the darkness.  Within seconds Alex found a similar hiding place, with Donovan across from him and a few steps further on.  OK, Alex.  Time to make good on your boast...

Concentrating, Alex focused on the force, bringing it into focus.  He'd been practicing this for years, perfecting his technique, but in all that time he still hadn't found a better way to describe what he did than to find a 'hole' in the flow of the force ... and step into it.  Metaphysically, of course.  Simply hiding was no longer hard for him, but here more was needed.  Deception, as well as stealth...  But he was a Jedi Sentinel, a Shadow...

Stealth was his speciality.

Alex found the hole and pulled himself and the two Knights into it, wrapping them in layers of force eddies that refracted and deflected their own force presence.  The two Knights were doing their best to minimize their presence as well, and it was a respectable effort, but not enough to hide from another force user walking a few feet away.  But in the hole?  With Alex' enhanced 'cloak' around them?   They were quite suddenly and completely invisible in the force.

The easy part is done.  Now for the hard part... Concentrating hard, Alex focused on the auras of his companions and carefully projected a false image.  He'd started preparing it when they were in the cafe shop, just adding the final details now that he'd actually seen the alley.  To anyone watching them with flesh-and-blood eyes they would have seen three figures suddenly back into shadows and seem to disappear.  SOmeone watching in the force, however, would have seen a blur as they rounded the corner, what looked like an attempt to blot out their force signatures ... and then three greatly diminished auras running down the alley in a bid to break contact with their pursuit.

Alex felt sweat trickle down his back as he continued the projection down the alleyway.  He couldn't keep it going to long, the alley wasn't long enough.  Either their tail would bite and reveal himself by running around the corner to catch up, or he would break off and they'd be out of luck again.  The projections were nearing the club Alex had picked as their "target" ... no sign of their tail ... 

Alex was burning with the effort of the complicated task and was about to give up when a black-robed figure rounded the corner, moving quickly.  Gritting his teeth, Alex dug deeper and held the projection and the stealth until the robed figure was in between the two Knights.  "Now!  Grab him!"

The three knights sprang.  It took Alex a moment to shake off the concentration of the illusion, so he was a step behind the Mak'Tor, who moved as one man to pincer the dark-robed stranger.  "Hold, friend, we want to tal..."

With a complicated hand gesture their shadow seemed to mime gathering something into his hands ... then dropped into a crouch, slamming that hand down into the ground.  What looked like a rolling wave of fire slammed out, up and down the alley-way, throwing both Knights back and off of their feet.

Due to his hesitation Alex just missed being hit by the blast, which rolled by him.  There was no heat, and Alex could sense the power of the Force behind it.  He let it flow by, avoiding the after-wash.  The black-robed figure repeated the complicated gathering gesture, this time releasing what looked like a fireball directly at him.  Alex used a variation of the his 'hidey-hole' technique to bend the force-projection and it's embedded force-push around his body.  He was close enough now to see as well as sense the small figure's surprise.  Alex grinned at the wide eyes, but the accompanying chuckle died in his throat as the stranger whirled and drew a wicked looking sword.  "Wait!"

The diminutive warrior adopted a defensive stance, the black outer robe dropping away to reveal flowing black hair, flashing eyes, and toned feminine curves.  "I will NOT yield!"

Alex held his hands out, open and empty.  "I'm not asking you to.  We just want to talk."

"No one who can hide himself and two apprentices wishes only to talk with one of my Order." The girl shifted stance again, moving subtly away from Alex while clutching an amulet hanging around her neck.  "I must fine The One!  Let me pass!"

"Not happening, sister." Ja'Mason said, dusting himself off.  His saber was in his hand, but remained extinguished.  "We don't want any trouble, but if you really want to dance..."

"Ja'Mason..." Alex flicked his eyes at the Mak'Tor's saber.  "Discrete."

The Knight rolled his eyes but Alex felt the tension in his body fade slightly.  He turned to the jittery girl.  "My name is Alex.  What's your name?"

The girl's eyes flicked between Alex, Donovan and Ja'Mason.  She swallowed and licked her lips before answering.  "I am called Shalon, apprentice to Master Nonn Shrall, the last Sorcerer of Tund."

Alex noted the name.  He had no idea who the Sorcerers of Tund were, but they obviously harnessed some form of force-based magic.  Filing that away for later Alex stood up straighter, lowering his hands but leaving them open and held wide.  "Well, Shalon, you said you needed to find The One, but I need to know why you're following me?"

A confused look crossed the girl's eyes.  "I am not following you."

"I beg to differ." Alex countered.  "I saw you on Peg Shar, just before we engaged the Mandalorians outside the Mak'Tor mission.  Or do you deny being there?"

"I was there." Shalon gripped her sword tighter, tensing again.  "But I was not following you."

"Then why were you there?" Alex countered.

Shalon gestured toward Donovan with her sword.  "I was following them.  After our order was destroyed and our home burned, Master Shrall was given a vision:

< The Singers would lead us to the One
        The One would take us to a new home
        Among the living stones >

Alex shook his head as an image of wide savannah suddenly flooded his mind, with a small outcrop occupied by the girl, a tall dark-robed figure, and what looked to be a pair of droids...

"What was that?" Donovan growled.  His own saber remained sheathed but his hand hovered near it as he shook his head clear. 

"Force projection." Alex replied.  Mentally he raised his evaluation of the girl's abilities and brought stronger mental defenses into place himself.  "A strong one."

"Yes.  I wanted you to understand." Shalon said, assuming her defensive stance again.  "Now ... are we going to do this?  Or can you take me to The One?"

Donovan shot Ja'Mason a look, then stepped up next to Alex.  "Answer one question: Are you working with anyone else to track us?  Or are you on your own?"

Shalon hesitated for a moment, and Alex sensed her shifting emotions as fear and her own distrust of them clashed with her need to accomplish her mission and what felt like a genuine desire to be truthful and honest.  The latter drives quickly overwhelmed the former and she sighed.  "No one.  I am alone."

Donovan continued to stare at her for a moment, his eyes opaque as he listened for the Song.  Finally satisfied he blinked and nodded to Alex.  "She's telling the truth."

"I know." Alex replied with his own exasperated sigh.  "You know, we really need to..."  A beep from his belt interrupted him.  "Hold that thought."  Alex pulled the comm form his belt and activated it to see an incoming message from his wife.  He opened it and read the message from his wife.  "Well.  Joanna wasn't able to make contact with 'Uncle Zimmie' after all.  There was trouble and she's in the wind.  She wants to meet at one of our old rally points."  Alex turned the device off and tucked it back into its pouch.  He looked over at Donovan. "So, you're okay with Shalon coming along and meeting The One?"

Donovan looked at Ja'Mason then back to Alex.  "Um, yeah, I guess..."

"Good."  Alex picked up Shalon's discarded robe and tossed it to her.  "Shalon, welcome to the team.  I'd put the tremor sword away, they tend to draw a lot of unwanted attention, and you'll probably need the cloak."  Alex turned and strode back out the narrow alley, moving quickly now.  "It's usually cold in the Igloo."

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2019, 09:34:48 PM »

Hmm that was an interesting turn of events the Sorcerers of Tund following the One - Opal maybe to live amongst the 'living stones' the other Shards presumbly...Certainly Alex has skills but he knows his limits too which is probably just as important - and a good outsider perspective of the Mak'tor...well those particular Mak'tor at any rate...will be interesting to if/how that develops further...

Lord_S_Gray

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2019, 03:59:22 PM »

Yeah, I started to wonder how, 20+ years after the fall of the Jedi, how the Mak'Tor might view other force users.   First, the vast majority of their experience is with bad guys - Inquisitorious and their ilk.  Dark Jedi, or untrained force sensitives who have learned to use their abilities for whatever personal gain they can get from it.  They wouldn't have a lot of experience with other trained Jedi.   And despite his lack of formal acknowledgement, Alex is to all intents and purposes a fully trained Jedi Sentinel with Shadow credentials.   If the Order still existed he'd be nearing Master status himself by now.

Of course, Alex is mainly used to hiding his abilities from everyone, so having others he can be open with would be a thrill.  The fact that they see him as a kid brother or distant cousin and generally look down on him has to rankle him a little bit.  :-)   

The fact that the Mak'Tor do, in fact, look down on Alex as having inferior skills...  Seems kind of a Mak'Tor blind spot that they'd better get over real quick.   To long being the only 'Jedi' in town...

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2019, 12:03:08 PM »

As I've said before: Alex is quickly becoming a favorite of mine.  He certainly puts the "gray" in Gray Jedi  Cheesy

A great characterization is that these Mak'Tor aren't quite so...magnanimous (compared to Karm, Arnor, Chillum, &Ken).  Certainly a little inter-Force rivalry going on (wonderful conflict in addition to the over-arching thread of "Hearts of Stone").

I'd never heard/read about the Sorcerers of Tund (thank goodness for Wookiepedia  Wink).  A wonderful addition (if a complete unknown variable); Alex is going to have to watch is back, flank, and sides from now on...

And Jedi Shadows are just too cool NOT to use/write IMO  Grin

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2019, 07:52:49 PM »

A truly amazing story here. Love the introduction of Shalon. Always fun to have a character with just slightly different abilities present. I'm beginning to wonder what the "Hearts of Stone" are. At first I assumed they were talking about the Shards like Opal, but now, I'm not so sure. Will be cool to see where you go with this.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: