Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Author Topic: Xbox or Playstation?  (Read 10686 times)
Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« on: November 24, 2018, 10:03:36 PM »

Which is your console of choice (and why?)

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2018, 10:07:51 PM »

Xbox, due to certain games but I like Live better than the PS network and I just got used to the Xbox after I bought my first with Halo.  I still did the PS but haven't really touched it since the PS3 and our 4 Pro is just sitting there.  We'll play it every now and then but the Xbox One X has the best graphics and is the most powerful console.  We play about 25 to 30 hours a week that's mainly fps like COD Black Ops 4, Destiny 2, Assassin's Creed: Odyseey, etc.  Really graphics intensive games and mainly online multiplayer Team Death Match. 

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2018, 10:15:15 PM »

So, like many on the forum, I'm olg enough that my gaming goes back to the vintage days of SNES and Sege Megadrive. When the Playstation first came out I was at university. One weekend 3 friends and I hired a PS1 and three games from Blockbuster Videos (NBA Jam, Soul Blade and Tekken if memory serves correctly).

Fast forward a few years and blu-rays have just come onto the market. Being the massive movie fan I am, I was contemplating buying a blu-ray player. When exploring the costs it turned out a blu-ray player was only about £30 cheaper than a PS3. So I got a PS3 as it played dvds and bluray, I could watch BBC Iplayer and Netflix (and later Amazon Prime and NowTv). Plus, most importantly, there were games. Lots and lots of games.

To be honest, I prefer the set up of the controls on Playstation and the console specific games are better on PS3/PS4 than on Xbox in my opinion.

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2018, 10:31:13 PM »

My very first console was the NES, then SNES, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Color, Nintendo 64, Nintendo DS, PS1, Genesis, Game Gear, Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox, Xbox 360, PS3, PS4, Xbox One, Nintendo WiiU, Xbox One X and I like the Xbox One X over the PS4 any day.  Sure, the PS has more exclusives, that I don't disagree.  Microsoft also purchased 5 studios this year so more exclusives will be specifically for the Xbox only so there's that for gamers who only want console exclusives.  I'm a gamer, spending 25 to 30 hours a week playing video games so performance and graphics are key which is where the Xbox is best at.  My One X also have BluRay which was what the 360 lacked but what we do watch are online so there's no real need of any discs in our household but we have it if we do.

I'm a serious gamer and have competed in several competitions in the past.  Performance is key in a console that I buy rather than exclusives which is why we also own the PS4 in case there's a game that we want.  We also have a Nintendo Switch which is really cool.

Honestly, it took some time to get used to the Xbox coming from a PS but I have large hands and it's comfortable to me.  I'm used to it now so it doesn't matter but now, the PS controller feels weird which is the opposite of you.

jldavi
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 24

The Force will be with you. Always.

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2018, 10:41:02 PM »

I liked the Xbox better during the last generation because many of the games I was more interested in were Xbox 360 exclusives, however I have found that the Xbox One has not had nearly the amount of great exclusives during this gen as the PS4. I've been die hard Xbox fan for a long time, but just picked up a PS4 for Black Friday because I was tired of seeing all these great exclusives that I wanted to play but couldn't. I don't really have an interest in setting up a gaming computer, and my work laptop is a Mac, so even PC games are usually out Sad.

I'll have to see if the hype lives up. I've played PS4 quite a bit despite not owning one before (I lived in the basement of a Frat house because it was way cheaper than living in my sorority during college lol, so gaming was a huge thing with the guys), but found the controller a bit less intuitive. They also wanted to play a lot of shooters, which aren't really my thing unless I'm playing with other people. I generally play alone so the story rich and RPG options on the Xbox One have left something to be desired in comparison to the Ps4.

That being said, I didn't get an Xbox One until last year because I game so slowly (usually sinking hundreds of hours into games like Skyrim, or replaying different paths in games like Mass Effect, KoTOR etc) that I had a bunch of games still for the 360 I hadn't finished Wink. With both consoles I don't know if I'll ever be able to get through all the games I want to play. The good thing about being a couple years behind any console is that I can start with older games and pick them up cheaply instead of spending ~$60 a pop for the newest releases.

Sabers:
Stunts -- Sentinel GB, Dark Apprentice R, Apprentice V4 R, Dominix V3 O, Initiate V4 LE Arctic GB/CG Staff, Dark Standard Issue AB, Archon V3 CG

Sound --
Aeon V3 CG, Dark Liberator R, Brood Guard GB, Electrum Wind VA, Spectre SD 

Wishlist: All of them Wink

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2018, 10:46:39 PM »

I generally play alone so the story rich and RPG options on the Xbox One have left something to be desired in comparison to the Ps4.

Me too. I have never been one for online gaming. Maybe it's my age, as I remember when "gaming with your mates" meant everyone piled round someone's house who owned a console and winner stays on! LOL  

However, I do enjoy open world, story rich games. An RPG element is not essential, but when done right can be amazing.

jldavi
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2018, 10:51:08 PM »

Haha yeah, the only type of gaming with other people I like is when I've got friends over or we're playing together on a server. I don't really care for online games because I don't like dealing with trolls and squeakers (though when you meet a good, nice, kid who isn't screaming obscenities it's golden).

Sabers:
Stunts -- Sentinel GB, Dark Apprentice R, Apprentice V4 R, Dominix V3 O, Initiate V4 LE Arctic GB/CG Staff, Dark Standard Issue AB, Archon V3 CG

Sound --

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2018, 10:54:18 PM »

I'm an online gamer and quite honestly, the Xbox has a better community since you have to pay for it, it's less likely a little kid will get on trolling people and saying dumb stuff like on the PS network. 

But again, like you two have mentioned, you're not an online gamer type so it doesn't matter to you.

jldavi
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2018, 10:56:18 PM »

I'm an online gamer and quite honestly, the Xbox has a better community since you have to pay for it, it's less likely a little kid will get on trolling people and saying dumb stuff like on the PS network. 

But again, like you two have mentioned, you're not an online gamer type so it doesn't matter to you.

Fair enough! I've given a couple online PC MMO's a try and couldn't really get into them, may have to give the Xbox network a try someday. Thanks for the pro tip Wink.

Sabers:

Sound --

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2018, 10:58:46 PM »

I have only gamed online once; Need for Speed Hot Pursuit on PS3. It was fun playing as the police chasing the Fast & Furious wannabes.

I've never had any interest in PC gaming though. Much prefer using a controller than a mouse. Plus, I like using my macbook for creative design stuff for work/friends.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2018, 11:20:23 PM »

PS4 for me. I much prefer the playstation OS over the Xbox's. Both have their advantages (Xbox's biggest being Halo), and I've played both Playstation and Xbox. When I was younger I'd play on a PS1, and occasionally a PS2 or 3 when over at a friends house. At about 10(?) my grandpa got rid of his PS1 and got a XBox 360, so I played that quite a bit until about 2015 when my bros started getting back into PS4, I've stuck with that for a while now. Most the people we play with have playstations, so that is another reason I play it. They are both good in their own ways, I just like Playstation better.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2018, 11:34:25 PM »

Heh, I didn't realize there was a thread for this. OK, I'll go into more detail than I did with the reply I left in the other thread.

So, XBOX or Playstation. Right now, XBOX. Though, there are caveats. I have a long history with both, going back to the original consoles for both. I have a Playstation, Playstation 2 and Playstation 4. I skipped the PS3 due to financial reasons. I also have an XBOX, XBOX 360 and XBOX One S. So, I've hit the highs and lows for both. I have managed to avoid red rings on any of my XBOXes, which is a feat, I guess.

So, onto why I prefer XBOX right now, despite the long histories with both. Basically, it boils down to reverse compatibility. Yup. Now, that was announced right after I got my PS4. I was lured to the PS4 by the Star Wars holiday bundle in 2015. It was either that or the Halo: Master Chief Collection bundle for the XBOX One, because I'm a Halo fan. But, there was nothing else really pulling me towards one or the other. Shortly after I bought it, Microsoft announced reverse compatibility for the XBOX One. Had I known that at the time, I'd have gotten that Halo bundle. None of the exclusives really do much for me on either system, other than the Halo games. Love me some Halo. I started playing that in 2001, when I was in the Army. Much of the stuff I play came out for both systems.

Anyway, I was always kind of "meh" about the PS4. It's OK, but some stuff about it drives me nuts. I hate the interface. Absolutely hate it. Everything is one screen, and you can't pin stuff to the front. So, if it's something you haven't used for a while, it gets shuffled back. The system puts stuff up front that I didn't want up front, so I had to put up with that crap. The media apps are all in one spot and that can't be sorted. They have stuff on there that you don't even have installed and it stays in place above stuff that you do have installed, so you then have to go through more crap to get to your stuff. The controller is OK. One thing I like about the controller is that you can just plug it in and charge it out of the box, no need to buy anything extra for that. That's nice.

The XBOX One S I like a lot. I got that as a demotion present for myself back in February. Some context: I voluntarily stepped down from a crappy supervisor position where I work back in February, and I'd had a bunch of money set aside for a work trip they were going to be sending me on. (training) Since I wasn't going to be a supervisor anymore, there was no need to go. Microsoft was having a sale with free games, so I bought the One S with the Master Chief bundle (naturally) directly from them. I got the Ezio Collection and Battlefront II free with that deal. I like the interface a lot better. I can pin stuff to my home screen. I can create little groups, like the one I have for my media apps. All that's in that group is what I put in there, so that's convenient. The main screen has tabs, with the store and other stuff in different tabs. I can also bring up a quick menu with stuff I can easily access. I was watching Deadpool 2 this morning and wanted to see how far along a download was. I was able to pull that up and see it was 92% without leaving the movie. (might be able to do that with the PS4 too, I can't remember) I like the controller shape and size better, but it's dumb that I had to buy a separate thing just to have rechargeable batteries. But, it wasn't expensive and I picked that up at work.

As for other features, it's a mixed bag for me. Even though the XBOX was touted as a huge multimedia console, the Playstation's Blu-Ray player app is better. It will remember where you are (on compatible discs) so that you can resume. The XBOX one doesn't remember where you are in any Blu-Ray film, except for ones that are formatted more like a DVD. Both apps remember where you are in a DVD. The XBOX one also has brain farts sometimes when I rewind, where I have to exit the app and restart the system to get it working again. Roll Eyes Upgrading the hard drive was less of a hassle on the XBOX One. For the Playstation 4, I had to buy two hard drives. The first was a USB 1TB Seagate drive that I bought at work and backed up my system and games to it. I had to have another drive to actually put into the system, then I had to install the software (from a flash drive) and then restore my stuff from the external HD. So, 3 drives used in that process. For the One, I hooked up that external Seagate drive, formatted it and it started saving stuff to it, no further steps involved. (They may have changed that on the PS4 since I upgraded mine, I don't remember)

Aside from all of that, (and that's just some of it) I'd been having issues with my PS4 since before I bought the XBOX One. I'd go to turn it off (or on) and the system would freeze on me. The power LED would stay white and the system would go unresponsive. The only way to fix this was to unplug and replug the system. Then I'd have to go through a disk scan and a lecture on how I should always turn off the console the correct way. I also noticed when this was happening that the console was running HOT. This was happening with increasing frequency when I finally unhooked the system and moved my media stuff to the XBOX One. That's pretty bad, considering that the console was only around two years old when this started. One thing I've noticed about the One S over the PS4 is that it has superior ventilation. Half of the top is a grill with a fan underneath to blow hot air out of the system.

So, anyway, those are my main reasons and beefs with both consoles. Both play games great, but there are just little things that push the XBOX over the top for me. But, it's a close call.

Also, why am I the only person in this thread who started with Atari? C'mon, let's get some more middle aged farts in here. Wink

Kazuto
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 234

Chains keep us together

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2018, 11:39:46 PM »

Xbox One, though started with the 360 after my second or third Nintendo gamecube broke [wore them out I think] at the time it was to keep playing madden, but also because I wanted to play the first Gears of War, went on to play 2 and 3 on xbox 360. Went through two 360's before I finally bought an Xbox One about 6 months after it's release I think. I had a smaller version of the original PlayStation, actually I still do in the living room, just didn't like the controls that much.

Saber Collection:
The Graflex CE - Consular Green
Spectre - Arctic Blue/Silver FoC
Gold Butcher - Consular Green
Chosen One CE - Scarlet Red/Lavender FoC

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2018, 11:54:12 PM »

Yay another Xbox gamer and not by default or a circumstance, lol.

Darth_Ravn
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: -134

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2018, 10:26:29 AM »

Well, hard to choose but Xbox since the first one, then Xbox 360, now Xbox one S Minecraft edition (maybe my favorite game !)

Envoyé de mon ASUS_X00ID en utilisant Tapatalk

- Phantasm initiate v2 LE, TRI red ! (Stunt)
- Waiting for my order : double blade apprentice v5, LE, TRI BR, stunt, Quick disconnect coupler, custom pommels, and Yari Pike extension !!! ...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH5VOSkgZArKbfYsutTdFfA

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: