Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Author Topic: Xbox or Playstation?  (Read 10696 times)
Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2018, 09:22:29 PM »

I have an original Xbox, Xbox 360 and Xbox One - the first PS i got was a PS4 Pro around this time last year - main reason was the exclusive games (Uncharted, Horizon Zero Dawn, Until Dawn, Last of Us, God of War) - my only regret was not getting one sooner - although i prefer the stick position on Xbox controller overall i find the PS4 a much easier to use and overall better console, combined with the exclusive it just blows Xbox away.  Xbox is not bad by any stretch they are both good consoles, but for the types of games i like (RPG/Action adventure TombRaider/Uncharted Style) PS4 is just the better option 75% due to the better exclusives - Halo and Gears are OK but I like Uncharted/Last of Us better and other games (Assassins creed/tomb raider) are on very console so makes no difference, I don't play much online (some SW battlefront 2 on Xbox but got a bit samey and i'm horrible at it so it gets depressing being killed 30 times in a match for 5 kills...).

Unless Xbox gets some seriously interesting exclusive next gen games i will just get a PS5, atm i think that is Xbox biggest weakness from my POV.

I hate the interface. Absolutely hate it. Everything is one screen, and you can't pin stuff to the front.

Interesting i am the exact opposite i prefer PS4 layout, looks cleaner and is easier to use IMO.

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2018, 09:26:41 PM »

If you're wanting a console for exclusives only, then PS4 is the console.  I don't care much for exclusives although Halo did get me into the Xbox from the military since we did sync up 4 Xbox's together back then to play Halo 1 and 2.  The games I play are graphics and performance heavy which is really where my One X shines and that's what I use it for.

Just like SFD and LSG has mentioned, they both have their pros and cons and are both designed for different avenues of play.  We have both in our house hold but prefer the Xbox over the PS4 for personal preferences and reasons.

At the end of the day, we're all gamers

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2018, 09:55:49 PM »

If you're wanting a console for exclusives only, then PS4 is the console. 

At the end of the day, we're all gamers

It would be interesting to see how the market reacted if say in the next generation there are far fewer exclusives- then the competition would be solely on hardware/interface an online support...I think that would push both side to up their game in those fields a lot, as to who would 'win'...i don't think any company would edge the other out comprehensively it would still be a matter of opinion, the real winner would be us consumers as neither side can 'rest' on exclusives for market share, and it would mean No one missed out on great games just because they have the wrong console.

Alternatively if you look at the Nintendo Switch it very much just does its own nintendo thing and carves out a niche - and does so very well it must be said - that might be another path they could go down in future each consoles developing its own world with less over lap, an i can sort of see that being more likely from a business POV.

I think it will be very interesting to see how things develop...at the very least i suspect next gen there will be a big move away from physical release and stronger incentives for online purchasing (I get all my games on Sale digital download now - actually got Shadow of Tomb Raider, Spider Man and GoW on Black friday sale this morning!!!).  I would also love to see cross platform online gaming and friends/messaging i think that would be a massive act of 'bipartisanship' that many customers would love.

Yeah all gamers in the end - more importantly all people with varying preferences some people like ABYX, some like Triangle,Square, Circle X....

Lord_S_Gray

Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2018, 10:20:26 PM »

It would be interesting to see how the market reacted if say in the next generation there are far fewer exclusives- then the competition would be solely on hardware/interface an online support...I think that would push both side to up their game in those fields a lot, as to who would 'win'...i don't think any company would edge the other out comprehensively it would still be a matter of opinion, the real winner would be us consumers as neither side can 'rest' on exclusives for market share, and it would mean No one missed out on great games just because they have the wrong console.

Alternatively if you look at the Nintendo Switch it very much just does its own nintendo thing and carves out a niche - and does so very well it must be said - that might be another path they could go down in future each consoles developing its own world with less over lap, an i can sort of see that being more likely from a business POV.

I think it will be very interesting to see how things develop...at the very least i suspect next gen there will be a big move away from physical release and stronger incentives for online purchasing (I get all my games on Sale digital download now - actually got Shadow of Tomb Raider, Spider Man and GoW on Black friday sale this morning!!!).  I would also love to see cross platform online gaming and friends/messaging i think that would be a massive act of 'bipartisanship' that many customers would love.

Yeah all gamers in the end - more importantly all people with varying preferences some people like ABYX, some like Triangle,Square, Circle X....

Agreed, just like all businesses and industries, things evolve and are subjected to change.  Gaming isn't anything different.  We went from cartridges to disc, to DVD, to BluRay and now, digital content is at an all time high.  I too but digital downloads since it's easier to own, you can download the purchased games into any Xbox, it loads quicker, updates faster and is easier to maintain and store with external hard drives and what not.

I agree on the new consoles and moving away from exclusives.  I'm pretty sure that there still will have focus on exclusives but that would be interesting to see shifts in any fans or gamers alike between systems.

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2018, 11:09:09 PM »

Xbox, when the first one came out its what all my friends had so I followed suit. Since then I've stayed with Xbox, I appreciate the quality of its online service (as Infinit01 mentioned) and I like the ease of its interface (services, apps, settings) over other systems. Game play and graphics are on par and I prefer the ergonomics of the Xbox controllers too. Now most of my friends have a PS, but I love my Xbox One and can't see myself switching for the foreseeable future.

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2018, 11:19:29 PM »

Completely agree, hazard.  I love the controller on the Xbox, it may be bigger but it feels ergonomically better than the PS and I like the locations of both joy sticks.  Microsoft built the Xbox not to be just a gaming console but as an entire entertainment system that allows for movies, internet, and social content if you desire to get into those things with your system.

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2018, 11:38:53 PM »

I agree on the new consoles and moving away from exclusives.  I'm pretty sure that there still will have focus on exclusives but that would be interesting to see shifts in any fans or gamers alike between systems.

Yeah i think so too - overall the average person doesn't buy a console because of graphics or user interface - at most they might not buy one if it is utterly terrible but neither side is dumb enough to take a backward step in that regard arguably on par.  It is the games that matter - in that sense i find Spider man being PS4 exclusive a very strong sign PS has got a head start on that - Halo/Gears are good but very 'Video game' meanwhile EVERY average non gaming parent with a 6-12 year old knows who spider man is, will see that and think, 'yep that's for my kid who loves the MCU' - I know at least one person at work who has gotten a PS4 for their kids because of that and the Black Friday sales making it easily affordable - The target is less the kids than the parents who hold the cash after all and they will go for a character they know like spider man not random scifi looking Halo guy, and Ps has just banked another gamer who is unlikely to leave.  

If PS does that again next year with a similar well known title e.g. Marvel, Disney or DC... Interesting times but i think you are on point exclusives may be the only battleground of real significance in the next gen...and as it stands its obvious who's winning.

Now if they switch up to focusing on solid multiplayer exclusives...there the Xbox technical strengths could pull them ahead, but Sony has a vast legacy advantage for having a console long before xbox that i think they will never truly catch up on.

Now most of my friends have a PS, but I love my Xbox One and can't see myself switching for the foreseeable future.

I don't think anyone should have to in an ideal world!!

Lord_S_Gray

Edon Bluewolf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1271

Light side points please

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2018, 11:40:22 PM »

I'm in the Xbox camp because I started out with it and my library of games is still playable thanks to backwards compatibility.  I can use my 360 to play original Xbox games and my Xbox One to play 360 games which is nice.

“Your focus determines your reality.” – Qui-Gon Jinn

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2018, 11:45:38 PM »

Backwards compatibility is a plus on the console and Microsoft now owns 5 new game developing studios this year alone which have already began to design exclusives for the Xbox so in the net year or so, Xbox will have quite a bit of exclusives under it's belt with more to come.

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2018, 12:02:15 AM »

I'm in the Xbox camp because I started out with it and my library of games is still playable thanks to backwards compatibility.  I can use my 360 to play original Xbox games and my Xbox One to play 360 games which is nice.

This right here. Both are hooked up to my TV. I can play a number of my 360 games on the One, but not all, and I can even play some of my original XBOX games on the One. I have the 360 for everything that won't work on the One. Both are HDMI, so no worries about my games looking bad.

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2018, 01:25:17 AM »

Didn't even consider backwards compatibility, that's something that I quite enjoy as well.

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2018, 12:56:28 PM »

This right here. Both are hooked up to my TV. I can play a number of my 360 games on the One, but not all, and I can even play some of my original XBOX games on the One. I have the 360 for everything that won't work on the One. Both are HDMI, so no worries about my games looking bad.

Didn't even consider backwards compatibility, that's something that I quite enjoy as well.

A lot of us love to play our old games that we purchased.  One of the biggest things that I hated about new consoles were that way back when, they rendered our previous systems obsolete.  Now, it's the same thing console wise nowadays; however, Xbox gives us the ability to play our previous systems's games which is a joy.

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2018, 01:22:24 PM »

Some old consoles were reverse compatible. The Atari 7800 was compatible with the Atari 2600 games and controllers. The Sega Genesis was compatible with Master System games, though you had to use a pin adapter.

What mystifies me about the Playstation consoles is this: PS2 is reverse compatible with PS1 games. PS3 is also reverse compatible with PS1 games, but only a few versions were compatible with PS2 games. PS4 is compatible with nothing from the previous consoles, save for games you play through virtual means. I don't know why Sony has turned their back on their old consoles. And, it's not like the entire PS2 library is available for the PS4, only a handful of games are, and they all have to be purchased again. (thank goodness I have good component cables for my PS2)

Darth Silenoz
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1287

Sith Juggernaut

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2018, 06:32:47 AM »

Some old consoles were reverse compatible. The Atari 7800 was compatible with the Atari 2600 games and controllers. The Sega Genesis was compatible with Master System games, though you had to use a pin adapter.

ATARI 7800!!! I forgot about it being backward compatible. I had so many 2600 games it was ridiculous. So when I got a 7800 I was already set.

I do not miss those controllers though.

Makes my hand cramp up just looking at it.

"I believe it is quite possible to misbehave while still employing good manners." - Darth Logos

"There are too many stupid people, and I do not have enough patience for a whole universe of bozos." - Lady Revan

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2018, 01:43:33 PM »

All of the Atari controllers from the '70s and '80s were better than the Atari 5200 controller.

Those were analog joysticks in an digital world. They didn't automatically re-center. (this is why so many of us were opposed to the idea of analog joysticks on the N64) Then there were all the other buttons. Honestly, the worst thing about that console was the controller. Though, it also failed because its library mostly consisted of upgraded versions of 2600 games. Roll Eyes

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: