Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Author Topic: Initiate V3, V4, & V5  (Read 5509 times)
DarthBoneTD
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -841

High Sith Kommander

« on: November 28, 2018, 02:58:52 PM »

In my 3+ years of collecting US, and of all the hilts I have, the basic saber lines (Apprentice, Sentinel, Initiate, Aeonix) are still my favorite saber for one simple reason. You can let your imagination run wild and not feel bad about doing it, like some do when you mess with cannon/higher end hilts. In my world no hilt is of limits unless it's nickel plated. No matter if it's weathering, leathering, paint, or even battle damage, they can truly be your own design. My personal favorite is the Initiate... Small, nimble, and smooth these sabers are excellent one handed and duel weild sabers, with the right pommel they can also be a very controllable two handed saber depending on your hand size. Each one has it's pro's and con's so let's dive in.

All measurements are with basic stunt/stock pommels (w/o pommel they are all about the same size):

Initiate V3- Released in 2011, length 9.75", 1.45" wide, MHS compatible:
The ultimate spinner, this one handed wonder is the most basic design and has IMO the best placed and shaped choke points of all the models with the longest switch area of 2.5"(the area between the two choke points). The drawbacks are no windows, and the grip on the main body needs your help as the rings are very skinny and far apart.

The V4- Released in 2014, length 9.75", 1.45" wide, MHS compatible:
Great spinning saber about the same as an Apprentice V4, more boxed choke points than the curved of the V3 and only 1 5/8" of switch area. The addition of windows and widened grip rings makes the LE version look amazing. The drawback of spinning this saber quickly is that sometimes my hand slips up to the windows. With the addition of the Dark Shock pommel you can get a great controlled two handed grip as it adds 1.7" and some girth at the bottom.

The V5 (3rd place raffle prize)- Released SOON, length 10.875", 1.45" wide, MHS compatible:
This saber is gorgeous for a basic model form pommel to emitter. I had to trim the claws out of the top choke point as this was a major design flaw IMO. The grip  is the best yet, as the grenade style doesn't need o-rings or leather. Now that the claws are fixed it is also a great spinner as your hand doesn't slide up hilt and it looks amazing. The Dark Catalyst pommel makes it a much more functional two handed saber as the fins of the standard pommel are not the most practical and the cat pommel takes about 3/8" off the saber. So with a little work this thing is a sexy little beast.

These are all well suited for whatever your preference from looking good on display to spinning to dueling to cosplay. If you don't have one you should probably get one to get the whole US experience. And if your not a spinner, you will be once you have one. They are cheap and fun, plus a great way to get into customizing.

I always use 30-32" blades.

These are some of the pommels I like with the these hilts

Lord of a 1000 sabers. Well almost!

Arsenal: Lots (35 Ultra Sabers)
Most Wanted: That one, oh yeah that one too, oh hell all of them.

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 05:40:01 PM »

I certainly prefer the Apprentice line of hilts, not that it has an advantage over the others but for aesthetics it's my favourite.  From the shape of the windows to the style of the emitter and that blocky chock, as one nit pick though I'd prefer the rings in the grip section to be a touch more spaced out.

Very nice comparison review and I quite like the pommel selection there are many that look sweet on these sabers.

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 12:08:48 PM »

Love your attention to detail, DBTD and I love the Aeon/Nix/Ini hilts myself. I like how you the last three generations all lined up for comparison along with the customization being displayed between them. I wholeheartedly agree with you that basic sabers are really great for customizing without you having to feel bad but any saber is worthy of that so as long as you're willing to do so. After seeing your V5 weathered, I'm sold on owning one now since I've been on the fence on owning it due to the claws rendering it useless for spins.  Have a point my friend

DarthBoneTD
Knight Commander

High Sith Kommander

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 12:13:51 PM »

I totally agree haz, I love the emitter of the Apprentice, but the grip rings and two choke points are the reason I like Initiate. Now I do love the Sentinel as a full hilt better than the Aeonix lines. I thought the broods should have been offered with the choice of Apprentice or Initiate hilt for a couple different looks. That's something I should ask them about, because I would be all over it.

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 12:14:50 PM »

I totally agree haz, I love the emitter of the Apprentice, but the grip rings and two choke points are the reason I like Initiate.

Agreed, the Initiate just feels better in my opinion

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 09:52:46 PM »

Nice seeing the 3 is then together, the only one I have is the V5. Great job describing the sabers and what you like about them, and as always love the pics.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

MavRick
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 603

May the force be with you! (give light side )

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 10:31:43 PM »

I certainly prefer the Apprentice line of hilts, not that it has an advantage over the others but for aesthetics it's my favourite.  From the shape of the windows to the style of the emitter and that blocky chock, as one nit pick though I'd prefer the rings in the grip section to be a touch more spaced out.

Very nice comparison review and I quite like the pommel selection there are many that look sweet on these sabers.
I agree with Haz,
 The Apprentice lines look and feel better to me. I have an Apprentice V4 and A Initiate V4. The Apprentice wins hands down.
The Initiate V3 is the best handling saber period. I am NOT a fan of the V4 or V5's ( aeon/dom or Initiates). I prefer the V3's by far. That's my opinion. MTFBWY!

Sabers I own:                                           
 Graflex Tri-cree AB w/sd & bronze buttons
 Consular CG w/sd an silver foc
 Archon CG w/sd an silver foc
 Prophecy CG w/sd an silver foc
 Dorinian SRD w/lite sd and AB foc
 Guardian in GB
 Aeon V3 in GB
 Dark Standard Issue BR w/vert grooves
 Dark Apprentice AB (Freebee!)
 Sentinel LE V4 w/windows in SY
 Dark Sentinel LE V5 in AB (raffle prize)
 Initiate LE V4 in GB
 Franken saber in VA
Wish list: Dark Prophecy BR w/sd, dark cat pommel;
Ordered: Exile CG w/sd; Dominix LE V2 in BR gift for a friend

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2018, 10:37:36 PM »

This is one of my favorite threads now.  Cheesy

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2018, 03:37:27 PM »

Nice write up and great pics of the sabers, bro. I like how you've customized them.

DarthBoneTD
Knight Commander

High Sith Kommander

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2018, 11:20:49 PM »

I agree with Haz,
 The Apprentice lines look and feel better to me. I have an Apprentice V4 and A Initiate V4. The Apprentice wins hands down.
The Initiate V3 is the best handling saber period. I am NOT a fan of the V4 or V5's ( aeon/dom or Initiates). I prefer the V3's by far. That's my opinion. MTFBWY!

I'm glad we are in agreement the V3 is the best handling saber. Of all my points that's the one I can't stress enough when the question of best spinning/ handling saber comes up. This is why I like other points of view, makes me pick up my Apprentice V4 and take it for a spin.

DarthBoneTD
Knight Commander

High Sith Kommander

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2018, 11:27:36 PM »

Nice write up and great pics of the sabers, bro. I like how you've customized them.

Thanks SFD, So easy for me to look at one of these and get an idea in my head.

Nice seeing the 3 is then together, the only one I have is the V5. Great job describing the sabers and what you like about them, and as always love the pics.

TX, pics say a 1000 words. Thanks

This is one of my favorite threads now.  Cheesy

Glad you like it, some of us are Initiate fans, some are Apprentice. I'm just glad US gives us so many choices at such a great price point so that we can have these discussions.

StoryDtechtive
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 91

Light always casts shadow/Darkness defines light!

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2018, 02:35:30 AM »

Nice to see all those versions together. Cool pommels too!

Saber Arsenal:
$75 MB: Liberator GB Stunt Saber
Electrum Wind FO Lite Sound
Chosen One SE BR Lite Sound (Forthcoming)
$75 MB: ? (Forthcoming)
Grab bag saber: ? Fall Raffle 2018 4th prize (Forthcoming)

Most Wanted: Graflex CE, Chosen One CE, Prophecy, Archon 3.1 That would be a good start Smiley

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2018, 07:54:04 PM »

Glad you like it, some of us are Initiate fans, some are Apprentice. I'm just glad US gives us so many choices at such a great price point so that we can have these discussions.

I completely agree and have both but I do lean more towards the Initiate between the two. 

imgumby001dammit
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 642

The Mighty, Mighty GUM

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2018, 04:15:06 AM »

This is a great post bro!!! Excellent comparison!! As someone who’s eagerly awaiting a v5 I’m so happy with everything you’ve been doing with yours. I must say, I still prefer the v4(for now). Keep up the incredible work bubba.

“Someday I will be the most powerful Jedi ever...”

AS

Greywolf
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 100

Grey all the way ;)

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2018, 09:54:47 AM »

Thank you for the great comparison!

I like the Dark Catalyst pommel on your V5. It really feels like it belongs there Wink
Hmm, I wonder how a V5 would look like with a Renegade Small pommel...

Cake is a lie. There are only Cookies.
Through Cookies I gain Chocolate.
Through Chocolate I gain Energy.
Through Energy I gain Weight.
Through Weight my pants will burst.
The Force shall free me.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: