Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Finally Got It Right! Obs lite FOC add: GB with Spearamint FOC  (Read 2705 times)
imgumby001dammit
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 642

The Mighty, Mighty GUM

« on: December 01, 2018, 03:12:11 PM »

So after tons of time, and many, many mistakes, I’d given up on attempting to add a RGBW to my Dark Sentinel for The purposes of a custom color and adding FOC. I had destroyed half of one led, and blew the red out of the current one I was using. It ended up with a real neat blue, which you can see in a post where I ask for help in selecting resistors for this project. Being obsessive compulsive like I am, even after I put the saber away to try to move on, I could help but be extremely dissatisfied. What was the point of doing all of this if I ended up generally where I started. There was no guarantee I didn’t damage the board at some point rendering it all moot. Not being the type to just sit, I started going over the posts where the fellas had tried to assist me in troubleshooting. While reading over that stuff I pulled up the Obs lite wiring diagram from the US main site and really looked it over hard. As I was reading the responses from Sci-fiDude and Infinit01 I realized where the screwn up was. Polarity!!!! I, in my rush to get results, had wired the pos with the 1ohm resistor from the white led to the FOC pad on the board!!!!! Could it be so simple? Quickly, I disassembled the led, and sure enough, pos to the FOC post. However, I had soldered a single wire across both pads of the green and white led because of space restrictions. A further botched attempt at desoldering destroyed the solder pad on the white led’s neg side. At this point I figured what the hell and found the lead to the white led’s direct input on the chip. Found the green next, and just soldered them together, that way I could use the neg wire on the green led’s pad the power both for the FOC. Fixed all the connections on the other end, and...

https://youtu.be/xxR3ylFSVx4

No $h1t! It actually worked! And it’s not silver , white or green. I call it Spearamint!!!!

A double thanks to Sci-fi, who’s always helping me, and extra special thanks to Infinit- you know why brother, but now everyone knows you always have my back!!! Point for both of you.

“Someday I will be the most powerful Jedi ever...”

AS

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 11:48:18 PM »

Perseverance wins again. Grin Great stuff, bro. I'm glad you got it all sorted. That's a cool looking color you've created for your FoC.

As I said in your other thread, those boards are pretty robust. I've been sure I've damaged some of mine in the past, only to have it fire right up. So, I would have been surprised if you'd destroyed one. (and I'd have wanted to know your secret Cheesy )

imgumby001dammit
Knight Commander

The Mighty, Mighty GUM

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 12:00:59 AM »

Ha! Ya, I was doing a lot of testing with my remote battery pack, and even though I’m real careful, you never know. Here could have been contact or overcurrent somewhere. But wtf, chock it up to being in a hurry and not paying attention. So it’s on now!! Everything’s gettin FOC!!!

AS

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 12:04:00 AM »

Once again, Gumby, you never cease to amaze me by your work ethic and your attention to detail. I understand not being satisfied with your work until everything is perfect in your eyes.  I'm glad that you figured out what was causing the issue and just like you said, it's a learning experience and now you know.

I love the Spearmint color by the way  Wink

You're welcome, Gumby!  I have to help a friend out, especially you when you need it!  As always, I have your back no matter what.  Cheesy

imgumby001dammit
Knight Commander

The Mighty, Mighty GUM

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2018, 12:12:57 AM »

I know it brother! Here’s to you!🍺🍸🍹🍾

AS

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2018, 12:16:35 AM »

I know it brother! Here’s to you!🍺🍸🍹🍾

And to you as well, brother!  Cheers!!!

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1558

I Survive through the Force.

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 12:23:23 AM »

No $h1t! It actually worked! And it’s not silver , white or green. I call it Spearamint!!!!

Hi there Spearmint Gum,

You may have started a new trend in FOC options...flavoured colours! - "Hey what flavour FOC do you have?  Oh just Spearmint!" Great modification point incoming.

imgumby001dammit
Knight Commander

The Mighty, Mighty GUM

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 02:47:18 AM »

He’ll ya!! I’m going to work on some “cherry pie” and “chocolate meringue”!

AS

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1558

I Survive through the Force.

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2018, 03:38:25 AM »

He’ll ya!! I’m going to work on some “cherry pie” and “chocolate meringue”!

Hi Gum,

I was sort of joking about flavours but I would be interested to see what other colours you could come up with.

Have another point for your creation.

imgumby001dammit
Knight Commander

The Mighty, Mighty GUM

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2018, 10:00:40 PM »

Thanks Tyeth! I’m certainly going to give it a go! All the Obs boards that currently don’t have FOC are going to get an upgrade. So, when that goes down I’ll be making new combinations. Two weeks ago I reviewed a huge shipment of various 3w resistors. Between the almost dozen RGBW leds I’ve got there’s a good chance of trouble!!

AS

TR-77477
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -361

Join The Darkside ( We have cookies)

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2018, 01:19:33 PM »

Now that's making the best out of a boo boo, very creative. I love the spearmint color. I have not had a lot of free time to piddle since my new job but I may just see what I can come up with. Electronics are my big weak spot. have a point

"The Jedi and Sith wield the Ashla and the Bogan, the light and the dark. I'm the one in the middle, the Bendu."

Wish list---Consular--Flamberge V2--Omen

Make-A-Wish Donations

Dark apprentice v4 with FOC and basic sound GB -- Dark Apprentice LE v4 (Grab Bag) GB
Dark Apprentice v4 (Grab bag) BR -- Dark Apprentice v4 (Grab bag) BR

Gifted

Dominix V4--- Initiate V4---Graflex SE SD---Dark Apprentice v4 GB
Dark Standard issue CG at Dcon 2018---Six Mystery Boxes at dcon 2019

Lady Agana Kath
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2130

Go Red or Go Home

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2018, 04:00:19 PM »

Very cool, love the mint green!

Current Collection: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=36545.0   Want List: Menace CE, Graflex SE   
Darkside Points Please

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2018, 07:38:11 PM »

Very cool, Gumby

imgumby001dammit
Knight Commander

The Mighty, Mighty GUM

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2018, 01:46:50 AM »

Thanks everyone! I did it again on my Guardian, not that I was trying for that particular green, it just ended up that way. But, I really do like it thought.

AS

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2018, 03:37:26 AM »

Nice!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up