Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Obsidian LITE  (Read 2723 times)
Darth Dyracus
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -14

Fear. Fear attracts the fearful. Fear is my ally.

« on: December 05, 2018, 06:03:59 PM »

Hey, y'all.  I'm considering buying a new Ultrasaber and trying out the Obsidian LITE soundboard.  I choose this option because my Obsidian Premium soundboards have been a little finicky in the past, shutting off if you hit the sabers together too hard, running out of batteries rapidly, and I also prefer the AAA battery configuration to the Lithium Ion setup.  My question to any who may answer before the end of today (trying to take advantage of the 20% sale) is to those who have a saber with Obsidian LITE.  How does it perform?  Is it a good option?  Would I be well served with an Obsidian LITE soundboard?  I just want the basic sounds, I don't need all the Premium features.  But if any of y'all have had problems like the ones I've mentioned above with LITE, I'll just go for a stunt saber, cause I've never had any problems with those before.  Thanks a lot to anybody who finds the time to reply.

Always two there are; no more, no less; a master, and an apprentice; one to embody power, the other to crave it.
But which one are you faced with?  The master...or the apprentice?

There is no emotion, there is peace.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
There is no death; there is the Force.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Dark Initiate LE V4 w sound
Dominix LE V2 without sound
Flamberge LE with sound

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2784

Grey Assassin

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 06:13:34 PM »

Honestly, if you're having problems with the batteries popping out with the premium boards, you'll hate the Lite sound since the AAA battery holders are made of cheap and felxible plastic.  I stopped using my Lite sound sabers for spinning or any dueling since all it takes is for one AAA battery to slightly pop out and the entire saber will shut off.  The Lit-Ion is a better set up and they're really tight to where I have to use a plastic fork to try them out.  If you're having issues with batteries popping out, I'd inspect the battery case for any cracks or damage.

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 11:34:48 AM »

Hey Dyracus!

I actually prefer the Lite boards myself.  The one premium option I miss is the "mute" font on the V4 board, but I have found ways to mute the saber so its not so loud when I don't want it to be.  I always preferred the default fonts anyway, so no issues for me there, but you are locked into that default font.  If you like it, great!  If not ... you should probably stick with the V3 or V4.

I haven't had the battery issues that Infinit01 described, but I've always had a nice tight velcro wrap around my batteries.  The huge difference I have found is shelf life.  My sabers spend a lot of times sitting.  For a while I had two nearly identical sabers, one had a LITE, one a V4 with LI-ION batteries.  After sitting for the week I would pick it up to spin it around a bit on a Saturday and inevitably the V4 was dead, the batteries flat.  So I had to pry them out (literally had to pry the Li-Ion batteries out, those holders are TIGHT) and put them in the charger ... and then took my Lite saber out for some fun.

I've had the same AAA batteries in my LITE saber for over five months now.  Granted, I don't use it much, I fire it up and spin it around for a few minutes every few days, but my V4 equipped Li-Ion sabers were NEVER good for more than 2 weeks max, even when they just sat idle. 

So .... for battery "shelf" life you simply cannot beat the Lite boards.  Except maybe with a straight-up stunt saber.  :-)   

I would recommend acquiring rechargeable AAA batteries if you're going to be using it a lot, but if the use will be sporadic the Lite is simply the best way to go.  If you have problems with the batteries coming lose during spinning or dueling, that can be fixed with some electrical tape or a velcro strap.

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 03:24:57 AM »

Sound quality wise, I haven't seen much difference between the Lite and the V4
Battery life, as Karmack mentioned is GREATLY in favor of the Lite soundboard

For the most part, they've said it all.
Unless you really want a different font, the Lite can definitely be the way to go.
Velcro strap around the batteries will be your friend

Edon Bluewolf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1271

Light side points please

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 03:44:37 AM »

I agree with what everyone has said.  On Infinit's point, obsidian lite's AAA batteries are much easier to pop out during heavy dueling, and the Velcro strap just doesn't do it for me, however I put just one wrap around the batteries with electrical tape and that holds them in place no matter how hard you hit.  On Karmack's point, again totally agree about battery shelf life, my obsidian lite saber is always ready to go, my others are drained after a week of just sitting.  Still it is wise to invest in rechargeable AAA batteries to save money in the long run.  And lastly like Therion said, I can't tell any difference in sound quality really.

“Your focus determines your reality.” – Qui-Gon Jinn

Son_Of_A_Sith
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: -82

I AM THE BALANCE

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2019, 04:49:41 AM »

I think t also depends on what kind of set up your going for. Like say if you want TRI cree and illuminated switch or even just TRI cree. I feel like anything other than a single led with lite sound drains those AAA super fast. Take in mind I have a TRI cree setup with lite sound myself and the batteries do last a long time when I'm not using it very often. But if I wanted to take it for a con or anything where it was on for longer periods of time id be changing the batteries almost every hour.

Try not!...do, or do not.. there is no try.

Makubex
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 6

тнərə ιѕ no darĸ ѕιdə, nor lιgнт ѕιdə.

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2019, 03:32:04 AM »

Okay so speaking of Lite we don’t get the options for a recharge port or the li-ion battery set-up... now I’m sort of a diy kinda guy and I checked the schematics on the trip A’s and the double li-ions and the specifics on wiring are the same.. could I just solder the wires off and attach a resistor with the li-ion and just ask for the charger port option with li-ion batteries instead. Now unless there’s too much power it might blow.. that could solve a lot of the lite and premium issues people have with battery functions?

Reason why I’m debating and asking questions on obLITE is cause I’d hate to keep replacing batts over and over again by removing them... when I can do a quick diy and be set for long term use period with quick charge options when not... and I’m pretty sure the shelf life would be longer as well.. judging by what I’ve read it should hold an insanely longer time than usual. I don’t actually have my own saber yet so I can’t test myself... but I also don’t wanna void a warranty and blow a LITE and can’t return it to repair

Makubex
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 6

тнərə ιѕ no darĸ ѕιdə, nor lιgнт ѕιdə.

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2019, 10:32:51 PM »

What about recharge port for when we get rechargeable batteries? So we don’t have to keep taking out and putting back in batteries?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: