Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: G.I. Joe Spin-Off Movie Snake Eyes Finally Finds Its Director  (Read 886 times)
Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2785

Grey Assassin

« on: December 06, 2018, 12:49:27 PM »

The Snake Eyes movie is in talks with Robert Schwentke to direct. The G.I. Joe spin-off has been discussed a lot over the past few years, but it appears that there is finally some forward motion. Paramount and Hasbro have been looking for new ways to reinvent the franchise, much like they're doing with The Transformers and their upcoming Bumblebee movie. Ray Park portrayed the mysterious Snake Eyes in 2009's G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra and again in 2013's sequel G.I. Joe: Retaliation, but it appears that they will be rebooting and recasting the role.

Robert Schwentke, who recently received critical praise for his World War II thriller The Captain, is reportedly in the early stages of talks with Paramount to take on the Snake Eyes movie. The director is probably best-known for launching the RED action movie series with Bruce Willis and John Malkovich, and then later taking over to helm the last two installments of the Divergent franchise. Beauty and the Beast and The Huntsman: Winter's War screenwriter Evan Spiliotopoulos wrote the script for the upcoming Snake Eyes movie.

Snake Eyes is one of the most popular characters in the G.I. Joe franchise and was first introduced in 1982. The character's story has changed many times over the years in different comics, but he has been a part of every change that the franchise has gone through over the years. G.I. Joe creator Larry Hama has called Snake Eyes the most successful character he ever created, noting that his mystery "becomes a universal blank slate for projection of fantasy for anybody."

Snake Eyes is a silent character who dresses in all black and keeps his face hidden behind a mask. During the cartoon series, his face was disfigured by an explosion, which also damaged his vocal cords. He is closely associated with Scarlett and his blood brother, the villainous Storm Shadow. The character prefers to work alone and is a master of bladed weapons as well as explosives. The character was a favorite for Hasbro back in the early 80s because they didn't have to paint the action figure. Instead, they just used black plastic and didn't have to change anything up with additional paint because he wore all black and always has his face covered, which saved the toy company some cash.

Bumblebee looks promising, and taking the G.I. Joe franchise back to one of its beloved characters is a step in the right direction. However, will fans be willing to go see a Snake Eyes stand alone project? That remains to be seen, but the G.I. Joe franchise didn't make as many movies as the Transformers franchise, so there's less fatigue and burnout. Checking out Bumblebee's box office performance should be a decent indicator of how Snake Eyes might perform as well. Variety was the first to report the Snake Eyes director news.

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 12:54:31 PM »

If Ray Park was still playing him, I'd be down for it for sure. But, we'll see. I actually like the two previous G.I. Joe movies they did. I'm also a good '80s kid (nerd) and have the original TV series and movie on DVD. Snake Eyes' gear and colors actually changed a couple times between the first two mini series they did and the actual TV series.

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 01:06:12 PM »

From what I'm reading, Ray Park is being slated to return as Snake Eyes once again. I wouldn't even watch it if he weren't honestly. 

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 07:47:53 AM »

He's f*ing awesome. Mortal Kombat: Annihilation (say what you want about that film, it's got some great martial arts in it, and he's in more than one fight.) Sleepy Hollow. Star Wars: Episode 1 - The Phantom Menace. X-Men. G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra and Retaliation. Just to name a few things. He's certainly young enough to still be at it, he's only 44 years old. I know some people gave him s**t about how he looked in Solo, but they seem to not realize that he was playing a much older Maul, so they aged him with makeup.

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 03:51:42 PM »

Not many people knew that he was the stuntman for Robin Shou and James Remar in Mortal Kombat but that's where I first learned about him.  Love his work from there into X-Men, Episode 1, GI Joe, and Solo.  Most people just hate for the sole purpose of being hateful. 

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1557

I Survive through the Force.

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 07:46:22 PM »

Hi Everyone,

Cool! A film about my favourite G.I. Joe? I've always liked Snake Eyes and I still have the action figure with his wolf and katana (I also have a working parachute for him from the UK Action Force figures range  Grin )

Another trivia fact about Ray Park...he played a SECOND role in The Phantom Menace! As Padme and her squad of troopers are storming Theed palace he appears as one of the troopers. Look closely just before they smash the windows, four troopers run from one side of the palace corridor over to the window....Ray is the fourth trooper on the right! He was told by the director not to look at the camera (obviously) but he couldn't help but have a quick glance.

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 07:47:19 PM »

Hi Everyone,

Cool! A film about my favourite G.I. Joe? I've always liked Snake Eyes and I still have the action figure with his wolf and katana (I also have a working parachute for him from the UK Action Force figures range  Grin )

Another trivia fact about Ray Park...he played a SECOND role in The Phantom Menace! As Padme and her squad of troopers are storming Theed palace he appears as one of the troopers. Look closely just before they smash the windows, four troopers run from one side of the palace corridor over to the window....Ray is the fourth trooper on the right! He was told by the director not to look at the camera (obviously) but he couldn't help but have a quick glance.

Point for that my friend

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 06:35:34 PM »

Not many people knew that he was the stuntman for Robin Shou and James Remar in Mortal Kombat but that's where I first learned about him.  Love his work from there into X-Men, Episode 1, GI Joe, and Solo.  Most people just hate for the sole purpose of being hateful. 

Man, I need to watch Mortal Kombat: Annihilation again. It's glorious, no matter what anyone says.

And, yes, most of the hate for Solo had nothing to do with the movie itself. But, that's OK. I love it and was glad to see Ray back as Maul.

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2018, 03:38:00 AM »

Man, I need to watch Mortal Kombat: Annihilation again. It's glorious, no matter what anyone says.

And, yes, most of the hate for Solo had nothing to do with the movie itself. But, that's OK. I love it and was glad to see Ray back as Maul.

Agreed. Mortal Kimbat wasn’t the best movie but it was entertaining to me and I like it

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1557

I Survive through the Force.

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2018, 03:47:38 AM »

Agreed. Mortal Kimbat wasn’t the best movie but it was entertaining to me and I like it

I'm not sure but I think I have MK Annihilation on dvd but it is boxed up in storage somewhere. If it is the same movie I suppose it had some 80's/90's charm to it!

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2018, 12:21:11 PM »

I'm not sure but I think I have MK Annihilation on dvd but it is boxed up in storage somewhere. If it is the same movie I suppose it had some 80's/90's charm to it!

Yes and agree, it definitely had that charm and that iconic MK theme music!!!!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: