Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Dark Apprentice V5 pre-sale saber Review  (Read 3981 times)
chalion
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 279

« on: December 07, 2018, 03:41:08 PM »

Brand new, just received UltraSabers Dark Apprentice V5 pre-sale saber. This is a superb looking saber. It's comfortable to wield just like all the Apprentice and Initiate V4's are, but with a new design and windows. The pommel is similar to standard sound pommels, but there are now ridges to match the grip on the main hilt.  The diamond sound and speaker are a VERY tight fit, as you will see in the video. Overall, I love the new design and and quite happy with this result.

http://youtu.be/gepsqhN5LdM

I'm not sure how to add text to the video, and i'm not a qualified audio expert either, but I did cut off 1 minute and 20 seconds. Hope you like this.

Edit: Just noticed that the hilt is milled differently than a V4 is. The ringed part of the hilt has 6 flattened areas evenly spaced around the hilt, as shown below:

without gloves on, they bite into my hands a little. Not uncomfortable, but you will notice it. The diamond sound is as loud as always. I'm tempted to get a higher output speaker and try it out, or one that is bassier, but maybe in the future.

NEXT: I removed the blade and discovered that there's an insert for the blade holder. It's part of the window and when the blade retention screw is removed, it can be removed, like the Bellicose blade collar.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 04:45:04 PM by chalion » Logged

26 diamond lightsaber and counting

chalion
Knight Commander

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 03:45:03 PM »

Also, it took me a bit of time figuring out how to resize this video, so I have yet to unbox either my Fall Raffle price (Savior) or the Archon v2.1 I received in the last week. It's pretty dark out now so I may do that tomorrow, if it doesn't snow.

chalion
Knight Commander

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 04:56:19 PM »

Note: Blade insert can be reversed and put back in upside down. It sits about 1/8" further out of the hilt, but the windows look fantastic this way:

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 05:14:50 PM »

There's eagerness and then there's not even waiting until you get back inside the house to open the saber. Wink

Great looking saber, chalion. Really interesting stuff about how the blade holder comes out. It's nice to see the V5s are starting to come in. Smiley

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 06:39:46 PM »

Whoa!!! I did not know that the windows is a removable section!!!! I liked the design before and now, I love it!!!!! Great video!

StoryDtechtive
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 91

Light always casts shadow/Darkness defines light!

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2018, 02:07:24 AM »

I think the reversed windows look great. Definitely a surprise feature I think will make these even more sought after. The close ups of the windows in general looks even nicer than anticipated  Smiley

Saber Arsenal:
$75 MB: Liberator GB Stunt Saber
Electrum Wind FO Lite Sound
Chosen One SE BR Lite Sound (Forthcoming)
$75 MB: ? (Forthcoming)
Grab bag saber: ? Fall Raffle 2018 4th prize (Forthcoming)

Most Wanted: Graflex CE, Chosen One CE, Prophecy, Archon 3.1 That would be a good start Smiley

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2018, 03:30:14 AM »

Hey chalion, thought I'd repost your video so it fully shows in your review thread.  It's just a matter of using the hyper link in the menu/search bar instead of the "share" video link in the video description section Smiley

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gepsqhN5LdM&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">Sorry...</a>

I agree with you guys, the reverse windows are a game changer for the Apprentice V5 and a cool easter egg US snuck in there.  Kudos to you, chalion for uncovering what will be a big deal for a lot of potential V5 customers.  Thanks for the review and an appreciation point awarded.

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 04:26:00 AM »

Very cool little saber there. Nice review of it as well

ktulu1347
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: 87

Nerd for 3 decades plus and darn proud of it

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2018, 09:09:11 AM »

The windows look so much better with the insert flipped.  I might need to pick up a stunt to see how I like these after all... 
Thanks for sharing!

"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain."

DarthBoneTD
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -841

High Sith Kommander

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2018, 12:52:58 PM »

Brand new, just received UltraSabers Dark Apprentice V5 pre-sale saber. This is a superb looking saber. It's comfortable to wield just like all the Apprentice and Initiate V4's are, but with a new design and windows. The pommel is similar to standard sound pommels, but there are now ridges to match the grip on the main hilt.  The diamond sound and speaker are a VERY tight fit, as you will see in the video. Overall, I love the new design and and quite happy with this result.

http://youtu.be/gepsqhN5LdM

I'm not sure how to add text to the video, and i'm not a qualified audio expert either, but I did cut off 1 minute and 20 seconds. Hope you like this.

Edit: Just noticed that the hilt is milled differently than a V4 is. The ringed part of the hilt has 6 flattened areas evenly spaced around the hilt, as shown below:

without gloves on, they bite into my hands a little. Not uncomfortable, but you will notice it. The diamond sound is as loud as always. I'm tempted to get a higher output speaker and try it out, or one that is bassier, but maybe in the future.

NEXT: I removed the blade and discovered that there's an insert for the blade holder. It's part of the window and when the blade retention screw is removed, it can be removed, like the Bellicose blade collar.

Chal, you sold me with this. Great review and pics. Point or two for sure. Reversible windows...WHAT!

Lord of a 1000 sabers. Well almost!

Arsenal: Lots (35 Ultra Sabers)
Most Wanted: That one, oh yeah that one too, oh hell all of them.

hazard502
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2018, 02:42:25 PM »

Its likely the location of the retention hole in the insert that cases it to stick out a bit when reversed. If a guy tapped a new hole into the insert only for when it was flipped (using the same emitter retention hole) then it could sit flush both ways.

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2018, 08:30:42 AM »

Now that I know it’s an insert, I’m curious to design my own windows as a possibility

hazard502
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2018, 03:55:16 PM »

Now that I know it’s an insert, I’m curious to design my own windows as a possibility

Oh yeah thats a great idea, Infinit01.

I find it curious they used an insert instead of machining the windows into the body itself.  But I guess other hilts like the Chosen One and Menace can be ordered with or without windows as they use similar inserts/blade holders.

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2018, 04:25:29 PM »

Oh yeah thats a great idea, Infinit01.

I find it curious they used an insert instead of machining the windows into the body itself.  But I guess other hilts like the Chosen One and Menace can be ordered with or without windows as they use similar inserts/blade holders.

I’m going to start making templates. I wonder if the ones without will just have a blank insert. Hopefully so.

I think it’s easier to grab a saber and swap out insert tather that swapping electronics making upgrades easier. Either way, I like this route

StoryDtechtive
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 91

Light always casts shadow/Darkness defines light!

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2018, 05:55:31 PM »

Yes...this right here!

Saber Arsenal:
$75 MB: Liberator GB Stunt Saber
Electrum Wind FO Lite Sound
Chosen One SE BR Lite Sound (Forthcoming)
$75 MB: ? (Forthcoming)
Grab bag saber: ? Fall Raffle 2018 4th prize (Forthcoming)

Most Wanted: Graflex CE, Chosen One CE, Prophecy, Archon 3.1 That would be a good start Smiley

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: