Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Archon v 2.1 Black Friday sale purchase  (Read 1937 times)
chalion
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 279

« on: December 08, 2018, 08:48:20 PM »

This is my review of the UltraSabers Archon v 2.1. Video unboxing should be forthcoming. Here's a pic to shown the saber in question:

This is another wonderful product from US. It is well crafted, comfortable to wield and balanced. Mine was constructed with diamond card, black av switch and standard pommel, with covertec clip. In comparision to the Archon v3.1, it is much the same, but there are a few telltale differences:

The Archon v 2.1 is much brighter than the v3.1, because the blade goes thru the emitter AND the neck to rest directly against the LED module. The v 3.1, since it has a thin neck, the LED is further away from the blade, with a piece of reflective film in between to help push the light thru, but it does make the light dimmer.

With the blade thru the neck, it feels much sturdier. That extra inch of blade retention makes a difference.

Those are the differences between the 2.1 vs 3.1.

Now the bad:

The blade retention screw hole in the emitter is near the same line as the AV switch. On most of my sabers, the hole is opposite the switch, so it's out of sight. Not a big deal, as O-rings in the emitter or neck should be able to resolve this, but it is disconcerting out of the box. Or o-rings on the outside to cover over the emitter (or my favorite mod - heat shrink tubing).

The blade holder itself: The blade, even though it is held much further into the saber than most others I own, is still loose, even with the blade retention screw over tightened. I was able to move it slightly. If the retention screw is in any way loose, the blade wobbels as little. Not enough to drop out of the emitter, but in duels, it could cause blade damage. I know i'm nit-picking this, but it could cause others to rethink this. Another retention screw inset opposite could resolve this, tighter tolerances in drilling would work too, or even clear heat shrink on the blade. Something to think about.

With those cavets, it is a beautiful saber overall and I am proud to have it in my collection.

26 diamond lightsaber and counting

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2786

Grey Assassin

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 09:42:21 PM »

Great review there, chalion.  The thin neck designs on the Archon has always made me wonder about light travel myself but the Archon 2.1 has always been on my wish list regardless. 

chalion
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 279

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 10:40:07 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCvhdW3PUYQ&amp;t=67s" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCvhdW3PUYQ&amp;t=67s</a>

You Tube is going to be the death of me yet.

Note: No packing peanuts were injured in the making of this video.

26 diamond lightsaber and counting

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 04:06:28 AM »

Review agrees with my impressions of that hilt.
I'd still rather have it than the thin-necked 3.1

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2018, 05:44:14 AM »

Great looking saber and great review, chalion.

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2018, 06:11:51 AM »

The Archon V2.1 is ultimate in my books. The black AV looks beautiful and the std pommel compliments the black accents nicely.

A note about the blade retention screw facing the switch side of the hilt - I'm pretty sure it's the glue US uses to secure the AV switch in place. Sometimes there's excessive glue above the switch that doesn't allow the emitter neck to thread down all the way. If this is the case, remove some of the glue and the retention screw will turn out of sight (I would hate this myself lol).

As for the blade wobble, my V2.1 has a little but in this case yours sounds like it has more. My suggestion is similar - some electrical or painters tape around the base of the blade to take up some of the space.

Awesome weapon, happy to see one find a good home Cheesy

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: