Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down
Author Topic: Movies So Bad They're Good  (Read 15519 times)
scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« on: December 10, 2018, 01:45:58 AM »

Infinit01 and I kind of talked about this in another thread in terms of a certain film. However, I thought it deserved its own thread, since we talk a lot about movies on here.

Movies are one of those things where nothing is universally loved or loathed. For every uber popular film, there will be people who don't like it. (sometimes, I'm one of those) But, I don't want to talk about negativity on here, I want this to be a thread about positivity. So, we're going to do a thread about the opposite: Films that are massively disliked, though you like them anyway. They could be box office bombs, critical failures, failures with fans, or all of the above. It's OK if the film has reached cult status, after all a film has to be a failure for that to happen.

So, here are some of my favorite "bad" good films:

1. Batman & Robin (1997)  Yup, I went there. When it comes to filmed Batman, there's goofy, incredibly dark and somewhere in between. In the 1960s, we got the goofy Batman. While that was wildly successful at its time, people were thrilled with Tim Burton's dark and serious Batman, inspired by the original comics. However, parent groups complained about its sequel, leading to Burton being replaced by Joel Schumacher. Schumacher's take on Batman definitely leaned towards the goofy side, especially in his second outing. This film was a commercial, critical and viewer failure, but I love it. It's got the spirit of the 1960s TV series, but it was done 30 years too late to be popular. It's a fun and funny film and needs to be viewed from that perspective of it being a love letter to the 1960s.

2. Mortal Kombat: Annihilation (1997)  Following the commercial success of the first film, a sequel was inevitable. That sequel was a commercial, critical and viewer flop. However, I love it. Are the story or acting particularly good? No. But, it's fun and has lots of fun martial arts fights in it. Also, for Maul fans, this is Ray Park's second screen credit. He played Reptile #3, was Raiden's fighting double and other stunt roles. This is a great movie for enjoying a bowl of popcorn and some mindless fun. Unfortunately, this movie wasn't kind to the career of Brian Thompson, who played Shao-Kahn. (I like his work on Star Trek)

3. Dune (1984)  This movie was a commercial flop, not even grossing its estimated $40 million budget. I've always liked it, though. It has a stellar cast. The special effects were really ambitious and well done. It should be noted that this one has achieved cult status.

4. Masters of the Universe (1987)  An adaptation of the popular He-Man comics, this movie was judged too harshly by fans of the cartoon series. However, it was never an adaptation of the cartoon. In the early comics, He-Man was a barbarian who fought the forces of evil using enchanted gear and other weapons. He wasn't Prince Adam. This movie was optioned before the cartoon hit the airwaves, and nobody from Filmatiom was involved. It has a great cast, some great set pieces and costumes and great special effects. It feels a lot like Star Wars. Frank Langella, who played Skeletor, loved working on the film while Dolph Lundgren, who played He-Man, hated it. This is another commercial failure that has achieved cult status.

Anyway, those are a few of my favorite "bad" good movies. I have more, but I'm almost to work. I'll get into more modern stuff in a future post. What are some of your favorite unpopular movies? C'mon, you know you have some, so list them. Note: you don't have to go into the level of detail that I did. It's a long bus ride to work. Wink

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 02:06:25 AM »

I'm not sure if it even qualifies because it wasn't a flop and has decent acceptance among some critics but Independence Day has always been one of my guilty pleasure movies. I can't really pinpoint why, it's just such classic nineties with a lot of iconic scenes and dialogue that I grew up watching.

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 02:29:29 AM »

Independence Day is awesome. It's full of plot holes but still great fun.

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 02:47:12 AM »

Completely agree with you on that, SFD. I like Mortal Kombat myself even though there were some things that I didn't care for, it was entertaining and seeing the iconic characters come to life was great.  Here's my list:

1. The Fifth Element. This is one of my favorite movies even when I first watched it at the Man Chinese Theater when it debut back in 1997.  It had a budget of 95k and made 63k domestically.  It was criticized for being over the top as far as action and comedy was concerned but that was the whole point. Worldwide, it made over 263k which is a success for modern day movies.  It's now iconic and a cult classic; however, I remember the people who use to say that they hate the film but now love it. I love it then and even now.  Still watch it multiple times a year

2. RoboCop (Remake 2014).  I know I know, not a lot of people care about remade films but I'm a Joel Kinnaman fan so I watched it and ended up loving it.  It sort of follows the original story with a few plot twist and changes.  The iconic silver and black was introduced first until the antagonist wanted Robo to be all black.  It made over 58K domestically and over 242K worldwide.  Unfortunately, due to it's "failure" and harsh critic, the sequel is no longer in talks

3. Batman Vs. Superman. Lots of controversy, I know; however, I'm glad that DC and WB finally did their take on this iconic series.  It grossed over 330K domestically and over 873K worldwide so it was a huge flop.  Despite it's various short comings, I enjoyed this film and it also gave us a glimpse into the Injustice story line with the Flash from the future talking to Bruce.  I wanted to hate it but couldn't.  It's good for what it is, entertaining and giving us a look into this universe whether it flopped or not.

I have more but I had to go into work earlier to set up some new computers and move an existing employee and just made it home but wanted to support SFD with this incredible thread that he started.  Will have more in the morning I'm sure.

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 04:22:03 AM »

Oh, now that I think of it, Disney has had a couple that I enjoyed. John Carter was an epic flop for Disney that I think worked as a decent action and adventure flick. Also, I never played the games at all but the Prince of Persia movie is always good for a few entertaining hours.

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 07:21:07 AM »

The Fifth Element was a failure? Man, that's one of my favorite films. I have it on Blu-Ray. Robocop (2014) is on my list too. I like that it was a true reboot, they kept only the basic plot and the name of the main character. Everything else was fresh. And, you know I love the DC films, so I agree on BvS too.

I never saw John Carter, and I don't remember if I tried Prince of Persia. I think I did.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2018, 08:01:22 AM »

There is only one correct answer to this question.....Flash Gordon.

You're welcome.

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2018, 10:12:36 AM »

Flash Gordon is a masterpiece.

BatMike90
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -793

Dark (Knight) Side Points.

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2018, 10:31:06 AM »

Films that are mostly unpopular that I enjoy? Here is a list of a few. Mind you, I took the time to research public opinions on these movies.

Batman v. Superman (2016)
Justice League (2017)
Batman Forever (1995)
Twister (1996)
Scream 3 (2001)
Halloween III (1982), Halloween IV (1988),  and H20 (1997) along with Rob Zombie's versions of Halloween (2007) and Halloween II (2009)
Dragnet (1987)
Eraser (1996)
Airheads (1994)

Arsenel:
RGBW DIAMOND: Archon v3.1 / Dominicide / Graflex SE /  Guardian
V4 SOUND : Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Emperor's Hand
STUNT: Aeon v4 / Bellicose / Dark Apprentice v4 (x2) / Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Phantom Initiate V4 / Prophecy v3 / Renegade LE / Scorpion (x2)
Star Wars Cosplay Alias:
Merik Wolfe (Jedi Knight) / Darth Marcotus (Sith Warrior)
BatMike90's Soundfonts

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2018, 12:14:03 PM »

The Fifth Element was a failure? Man, that's one of my favorite films. I have it on Blu-Ray. Robocop (2014) is on my list too. I like that it was a true reboot, they kept only the basic plot and the name of the main character. Everything else was fresh. And, you know I love the DC films, so I agree on BvS too.

I never saw John Carter, and I don't remember if I tried Prince of Persia. I think I did.

Yup, the Fifth Element was highly criticized and as you can see from box office numbers, it didn't do well until the global box office, other countries loved the movie and years after it came out (early 2000s), it became a cult classic.  I loved it since the first day I watched the movie, I too have it on VHS, DVD, Blu-Ray and digital copy. 

Agreed with RoboCop and that it was a true reboot unlike most which are just their own version of movie remakes.  RoboCop was slated for a sequel but due to its box office failure, the talks went down the drain and Joel went onto other films.  It's a bummer really, maybe one day they'll revisit a sequel but until then, we at least have that.

I almost forgot about John Carter, I loved the film and it was different from the usual movies at the box office.  I loved the universe that was created for the movie and wish there was a sequel.

Films that are mostly unpopular that I enjoy? Here is a list of a few. Mind you, I took the time to research public opinions on these movies.

Batman v. Superman (2016)
Justice League (2017)
Batman Forever (1995)
Twister (1996)
Scream 3 (2001)
Halloween III (1982), Halloween IV (1988),  and H20 (1997) along with Rob Zombie's versions of Halloween (2007) and Halloween II (2009)
Dragnet (1987)
Eraser (1996)
Airheads (1994)

Agreed with each movie that you listed, BatMike.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2018, 12:29:05 PM »

Flash Gordon is a masterpiece.
Agreed. It is the epitome of so bad it's good. Love it.

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2018, 04:18:14 PM »

Thank you BatMike for mentioning Twister, loved that movie so much. A bit like Jaws, it left a indelible mark on me as a kid in the sense of making me wildly afraid of something in nature. Good times.

Lady Agana Kath
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2130

Go Red or Go Home

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2018, 04:27:22 PM »

The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou, most people I’ve ever heard talk about it, despised it. It had poor critic reviews yet to a small group it has become a cult classic. It’s my favorite movie and I own 4 copies of it.

The Fifth Element has always been a fav since childhood.

Current Collection: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=36545.0   Want List: Menace CE, Graflex SE   
Darkside Points Please

Darth Silenoz
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1287

Sith Juggernaut

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2018, 04:59:07 PM »

The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou, most people I’ve ever heard talk about it, despised it. It had poor critic reviews yet to a small group it has become a cult classic. It’s my favorite movie and I own 4 copies of it.

The Fifth Element has always been a fav since childhood.

I like pretty much everything Wes Anderson does. The life Aquatic and The Royal Tenenbaums are my favorites though.
If I don't get my hands on a pair of team Zissou Adidas before there gone I'm gonna be pissed. They actually make them exactly like in the movie!

And I always thought The fifth Element was an accepted classic.  

How about The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension!

"I believe it is quite possible to misbehave while still employing good manners." - Darth Logos

"There are too many stupid people, and I do not have enough patience for a whole universe of bozos." - Lady Revan

Lady Agana Kath
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2130

Go Red or Go Home

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2018, 05:13:40 PM »

I like pretty much everything Wes Anderson does. The life Aquatic and The Royal Tenenbaums are my favorites though.
If I don't get my hands on a pair of team Zissou Adidas before there gone I'm gonna be pissed. They actually make them exactly like in the movie!
Love The Royal Tenenbaums and Moonrise Kingdom

Omg I know! I NEED those shoes

Current Collection: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=36545.0   Want List: Menace CE, Graflex SE   
Darkside Points Please

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: