Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
Author Topic: Movies So Bad They're Good  (Read 15521 times)
Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #75 on: December 12, 2018, 08:04:07 AM »

Kung Pow Enter the Fist so intentionally ridiculous it works.
I'll raise you Kung Fu Hustle. Grin

The Punisher (2004)  In a world where the MCU reigns supreme and comic movies in general are supremely popular, it's easy to forget that Marvel used to struggle to find a foothold in the box office. The Punisher came out four years before Iron Man. It's not a really big or flashy comic film, it's a dark and gritty realistic movie about a man who loses everything and takes the law into his own hands to take down the criminals responsible for his family's death. It's actually a quite brilliantly crafted revenge plot that relies on great storytelling, rather than special effects to get its point across. It's R rated, as a Punisher film should be. It just happens to be one of my favorite comic films, despite being a box office failure. Domestically, it made just over what they put into it and it didn't even make twice what they put into it worldwide.

So, remember, kids, Deadpool wasn't the first R-rated superhero film, in fact there was an even earlier Punisher movie from the '80s, and Christopher Nolan didn't invent the idea of doing gritty and realistic comic book films. Tongue
Technically Punisher isn't a superhero, just a comic book. DP actually has powers.

Thanks for being that guy, Logos. Nobody likes having to do it, but it is necessary at times.
No prob. It had been brought up earlier on a lesser infraction, and I didn't want you to feel like your thread got hijacked.

Spider-Man 3.  It wasn’t the best of the trilogy but I like Sandman who’s an antihero pretty much like Ant-Man. Someone was turned to a life of crime to help those he loved. Sure, Venom’s portrayal wasn’t the best but it did spark the beginning of what is now the Venom movie that took over a decade to come out. I dig the black Spidey suit which was really awesome in the big screen. 
I liked the 'badass' Peter aspect.

One could also place some of the X Men films in that sphere, notably X Men origins Wolverine, it was messy but it had a certain charm despite itself, like Spider man they were sort of precursors to the MCU, almost experiments in superhero movies that certainly paved the way for something better later on.
Agreed. The movie as a whole wasn't terrible, but the lack of continuity is what I think killed it.

Agreed. Was next on my list and you’re right, the X-Men cinematic universe have been hit or miss but there have been great moments within each movie. I like The first Sabertooth than Liev’s version and no disrespect to him whatsoever.  I love the Wolverine trilogy myself and although it wasn’t perfect, I thoroughly enjoyed it. The younger X-Men was good every other film any how
I loved the personality that Schreiber brought to the character. But I'm also not very familiar with the classic version.

Wolverine trilogy?

Big Trouble in Little China.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #76 on: December 12, 2018, 03:15:48 PM »

I liked the 'badass' Peter aspect.

Agreed. I'm glad that they did add that into the mix because he was a different parker

I loved the personality that Schreiber brought to the character. But I'm also not very familiar with the classic version.

Wolverine trilogy?

I thought Schreiber was a good Sabertooth, I just like the version from the first X-Men better. Lief definitely had better personality and words than the first

I categorized X-Men Origins: Wolverine, The Wolverine and Logan into a trilogy

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #77 on: December 12, 2018, 10:47:06 AM »

Agreed. I'm glad that they did add that into the mix because he was a different parker

I thought Schreiber was a good Sabertooth, I just like the version from the first X-Men better. Lief definitely had better personality and words than the first
I think I agree. The physical representation of Sabertooth in X-Men was way better. Had a more animal vibe to him.

I categorized X-Men Origins: Wolverine, The Wolverine and Logan into a trilogy
Dammit. Why do I keep forgetting about Logan?

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #78 on: December 12, 2018, 06:32:11 PM »

I think I agree. The physical representation of Sabertooth in X-Men was way better. Had a more animal vibe to him.

This

Dammit. Why do I keep forgetting about Logan?

Did you ever watch it?  It's really good, one of the best of the 3 in my opinion

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #79 on: December 12, 2018, 06:46:29 PM »

Did you ever watch it?  It's really good, one of the best of the 3 in my opinion

Agreed. I didn't really care for The Wolverine, but I should watch it again sometime. Origins has  a ton of problems, but it is fun to watch.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #80 on: December 12, 2018, 11:55:38 AM »

Yes

Agreed. I didn't really care for The Wolverine, but I should watch it again sometime. Origins has  a ton of problems, but it is fun to watch.
I liked The Wolverine.

Sig by For Tyeth

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #81 on: December 12, 2018, 07:07:13 PM »

I liked The Wolverine better than I liked Origins since just like you mention, Origins had a lot of problems.  It wasn't bad to me but when The Wolverine came it, I liked it much better.  The Wolverine had it's own issues as well but at least there was a teaser for his yellow outfit and we got a meh interpretation of Silver Samurai even though he was just an old guy in a suit....

I liked The Wolverine.

Same here  Grin

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #82 on: December 12, 2018, 02:10:07 PM »

This, all of it. 

Agreed, I've always thought they were continued movies from one to the next

How about Road House

I know there was a lot of hate towards that movie but I watched it as a kid and loved it, still like it now.  Sure, there's lots of lame dialogues but it was in the 80s, what movie didn't have bad dialogue?   

One of the most irrelevant scenes to me was when Dalton pulls in his 64 Buick Rivera, throws the keys to an old man sitting on the sidewalk while telling him that it's now his then uncovers a Mercedes-Benz in a parking garage.  There was no point to that scene whatsoever but it was funny to me for some reason.  But then later on, the owner of the Double Deuce uses a Sharpie to change the F word on a wall to BUICK so there's the play of words there.

The movie's absurd but one of the many reasons why I like it until this day.

I can't believe i didn't think of that first, It was a beautiful disaster as they say!

I liked The Wolverine better than I liked Origins since just like you mention, Origins had a lot of problems.  It wasn't bad to me but when The Wolverine came it, I liked it much better.  The Wolverine had it's own issues as well but at least there was a teaser for his yellow outfit and we got a meh interpretation of Silver Samurai even though he was just an old guy in a suit....

Same here  Grin

Quickly on this, the whole thing just needed some forward planning and it would've been the MCU before the MCU...the XCU i suppose...seems like the studios and producers just couldn't get their act together, but yeah at least we have some good moments and great characterizations (Ian Mackellans Magneto for example) to look back on.

Big Trouble in Little China.

Yep thats a good one...i wonder if it counts if it is intentionally 'so bad its good', there are some films that its fairly obvious the intent was to make them tongue in cheek, its almost an art in itself to set out to make something dodgy but not too dodgy.....

This one might be interesting to consider - Highlander - it had some dodgy accents and looks awful...but the story is fairly engaging overall and i think it comes together fairly well despite itself.  There can be Only ONE!   

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #83 on: December 12, 2018, 09:32:33 PM »

(Ian Mackellans Magneto for example) to look back on.

That's because it's Ian Mckellen. Cheesy

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #84 on: December 12, 2018, 10:01:18 PM »

Yep thats a good one...i wonder if it counts if it is intentionally 'so bad its good', there are some films that its fairly obvious the intent was to make them tongue in cheek, its almost an art in itself to set out to make something dodgy but not too dodgy.....
If that were the case, Kill Bill would be in this mix.

Sig by For Tyeth

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #85 on: December 12, 2018, 10:31:02 PM »

Technically Punisher isn't a superhero, just a comic book. DP actually has powers.

Deadpool isn't a superhero either, he's an anti-hero. But, they made a big deal about Deadpool being an R-rated comic movie, even though there had been at least six prior to Deadpool. Three Punisher films and three Blade films. (the Blade films actually being a trilogy) And Blade has powers, though he's not a superhero either.

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #86 on: December 12, 2018, 08:37:10 PM »

That's because it's Ian Mckellen. Cheesy

His name needs more vowels I say!!

Going back to the 80's....Pee Wees Big Adventure?

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #87 on: December 13, 2018, 12:56:24 PM »

I can't believe i didn't think of that first, It was a beautiful disaster as they say!

Don't feel bad, LSG.  I read a recent article with Patrick and the movie popped up and figured it would make for a good discussion here.  Grin

Quickly on this, the whole thing just needed some forward planning and it would've been the MCU before the MCU...the XCU i suppose...seems like the studios and producers just couldn't get their act together, but yeah at least we have some good moments and great characterizations (Ian Mackellans Magneto for example) to look back on.

Completely agree. I get what they've been trying to do and use an iconic character like Logan himself, it took them three films to finally get it right in my opinion.  The first one was rough, the Wolverine was better but still had it's own issues and Logan is a masterpiece in my opinion.

I've always loved this movie but I tend to agree, it was intentionally bad, its good. 

This one might be interesting to consider - Highlander - it had some dodgy accents and looks awful...but the story is fairly engaging overall and i think it comes together fairly well despite itself.  There can be Only ONE!   

I've always thought that the dodgy accents and some awfulness was due to the it being filmed in the mid 80s. 

My take, one of my favorite movies: Bad Boys 2

I'm a huge fan of the first and the second film, the second being my all time favorite.  This movie just like the previous one, was focused not just on the story line but over the top action and comedy.  There's serious scenes which you can't take too serious since you're laughing the entire time.  There's a scene where Mike and Marcus and shooting at the Haitians at there house and he's cussing at them while Marcus said "Can't we just talk to them?" with Mike responding "Oh you do?! Sure.... go ahead" shots being fired the entire time "They can't hear you because they're shooting at you!!!" 

There's also the scene where Mike and Marcus tried to commander a car and Marcus stops a pizza delivery guy and his beater which looked like it wouldn't even do 60 mph easily driven by Michael Bay himself. Mike then stopped Dan Marino who's doing a test drive on a Cadillac while saying "Dan Marino! I'm a fan! Step back Dan! We need this car and will return it" but within a minute, Mike says "Dan should definitely buy this car, well not this one because I'm going to F word it up". 

It's not a horrible movie at all, just made to be over the top with everything and some bad dialogues from a few bad guy extras.  Of course this is a Michael Bay film so it's always going to be over the top and ridiculous.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #88 on: December 13, 2018, 02:09:46 PM »

Deadpool isn't a superhero either, he's an anti-hero. But, they made a big deal about Deadpool being an R-rated comic movie, even though there had been at least six prior to Deadpool. Three Punisher films and three Blade films. (the Blade films actually being a trilogy) And Blade has powers, though he's not a superhero either.
I think it was because Deadpool took full advantage of the R-rating, not just violence.

Going back to my point of Speed Racer. For the longest time I didn't see it, mainly due to lack of opportunity, but partly because everyone said it was utterly horrible. So one fine Saturday I finally caught it on Netflix. WOW! Yes, it was utterly horrible, but it was utterly horrible in the same way the original anime was utterly horrible ('cept much better graphics and dialogue). It masterfully captured the spirit of the original show from the uber-tricked out cars to the ridiculously over-elaborate death races. I think its failure was due to the intended audience not understanding what it was supposed to be. It was supposed to be bad.

A little surprised no one has mentioned Evil Dead and its delightful sequels. Grin

Sig by For Tyeth

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #89 on: December 14, 2018, 12:33:09 PM »

OK, going for it big time here:

Green Lantern (2011) Box office failure and 26% approval rating on review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes. 55% user rating on IMDb. Ryan Reynolds himself mocks the movie. But, none of that means anything to me, because I really enjoy the film. It's not without its issues, including the odd CGI Lantern suits, but it's still a lot of fun. Now, I've read some GL comics, mostly from the time of Hal's debut back in the 1950s, and seen some animated GL stuff. But, I'm no expert on the characters, so that probably helped me enjoy the film more than hardcore GL fans. Also, its poor performance may have squashed all hopes of a sequel, but a really fun video game sequel called Green Lantern: Rise of the Manhunters also came out in 2011.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: