Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
Author Topic: Movies So Bad They're Good  (Read 15828 times)
Darth Silenoz
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1287

Sith Juggernaut

« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2018, 10:13:12 PM »

I hate to be that guy, this topic is being derailed. This needs to be moved to SW Thoughts.

Thank you. I was about to be that guy.

"I believe it is quite possible to misbehave while still employing good manners." - Darth Logos

"There are too many stupid people, and I do not have enough patience for a whole universe of bozos." - Lady Revan

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2789

Grey Assassin

« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2018, 10:13:21 PM »

Howard the Duck. I just couldn’t get into it until years later and to me, it was so ridiculous, it was funny and entertaining.  Of course, there’s the 80’s awesomeness thrown into the mix

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2018, 10:15:45 PM »

I hate to be that guy, this topic is being derailed. This needs to be moved to SW Thoughts.
Fair Call

Anyway movie so bad its Good -

Kung Pow Enter the Fist so intentionally ridiculous it works.

Any of the 1940-50's Saint and Falcon Movies, they are such a different era and like a neo James Bond kind of thing that its almost unwatchable but damn they have some classic moments.

Actually there's probably a whole class of older movies - Ben Hur, Spartacus, Quo Vadis - that are so dated they are almost impossible to watch for anyone who has seen Gladiator and modern films to take seriously but they are still good.  Its an interesting thing with movies seeing how they get so dated and typified for a genre they become parodies of themselves in fifty years time.

Edit and Encino Man....very young Brendan Fraser...

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Darth Silenoz
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1287

Sith Juggernaut

« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2018, 10:24:34 PM »

Edit and Encino Man....very young Brendan Fraser...

I was just about to mention Encino Man. "Wheeze the juice!"

"I believe it is quite possible to misbehave while still employing good manners." - Darth Logos

"There are too many stupid people, and I do not have enough patience for a whole universe of bozos." - Lady Revan

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #64 on: December 11, 2018, 03:35:22 PM »

The Punisher (2004)  In a world where the MCU reigns supreme and comic movies in general are supremely popular, it's easy to forget that Marvel used to struggle to find a foothold in the box office. The Punisher came out four years before Iron Man. It's not a really big or flashy comic film, it's a dark and gritty realistic movie about a man who loses everything and takes the law into his own hands to take down the criminals responsible for his family's death. It's actually a quite brilliantly crafted revenge plot that relies on great storytelling, rather than special effects to get its point across. It's R rated, as a Punisher film should be. It just happens to be one of my favorite comic films, despite being a box office failure. Domestically, it made just over what they put into it and it didn't even make twice what they put into it worldwide.

So, remember, kids, Deadpool wasn't the first R-rated superhero film, in fact there was an even earlier Punisher movie from the '80s, and Christopher Nolan didn't invent the idea of doing gritty and realistic comic book films. Tongue

Thanks for being that guy, Logos. Nobody likes having to do it, but it is necessary at times.

Lady Agana Kath
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2130

Go Red or Go Home

« Reply #65 on: December 12, 2018, 01:26:20 AM »

Agreed, thanks Logos. As soon as TFA and TLJ were brought up I noped right outta the conversation.

I agree on Kung Pow, love that movie lolol

Current Collection: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=36545.0   Want List: Menace CE, Graflex SE   
Darkside Points Please

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #66 on: December 12, 2018, 01:35:59 AM »

I knew it was inevitable that they were going to be brought up. That's not a bad thing, but they've been discussed at length elsewhere on the forums.

Since it's Christmas time, I guess we could bring up It's a Wonderful Life. The movie was a box office flop. Due to a technical error, the movie became public domain in 1976. (movies this old had to have their copyrights renewed every 30 years) Since it cost them nothing, TV stations started playing the film annually. NBC has been playing it like clockwork every year for decades, and it has become a cherished holiday classic.

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #67 on: December 12, 2018, 01:43:03 AM »

Spider-Man 3.  It wasn’t the best of the trilogy but I like Sandman who’s an antihero pretty much like Ant-Man. Someone was turned to a life of crime to help those he loved. Sure, Venom’s portrayal wasn’t the best but it did spark the beginning of what is now the Venom movie that took over a decade to come out. I dig the black Spidey suit which was really awesome in the big screen.  

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2018, 01:51:29 AM »

Spider-Man 3.  It wasn’t the best of the trilogy but I like Sandman who’s an antihero pretty much like Ant-Man. Someone was turned to a life of crime to help those he loved. Sure, Venom’s portrayal wasn’t the best but it did spark the beginning of what is now the Venom movie that took over a decade to come out. I dig the black Spidey suit which was really awesome in the big screen.  

One could also place some of the X Men films in that sphere, notably X Men origins Wolverine, it was messy but it had a certain charm despite itself, like Spider man they were sort of precursors to the MCU, almost experiments in superhero movies that certainly paved the way for something better later on.

Lord_S_Gray

Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2018, 02:03:04 AM »

One could also place some of the X Men films in that sphere, notably X Men origins Wolverine, it was messy but it had a certain charm despite itself, like Spider man they were sort of precursors to the MCU, almost experiments in superhero movies that certainly paved the way for something better later on.

Agreed. Was next on my list and you’re right, the X-Men cinematic universe have been hit or miss but there have been great moments within each movie. I like The first Sabertooth than Liev’s version and no disrespect to him whatsoever.  I love the Wolverine trilogy myself and although it wasn’t perfect, I thoroughly enjoyed it. The younger X-Men was good every other film any how

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #70 on: December 12, 2018, 02:14:07 AM »

Agreed. Was next on my list and you’re right, the X-Men cinematic universe have been hit or miss but there have been great moments within each movie. I like The first Sabertooth than Liev’s version and no disrespect to him whatsoever.  I love the Wolverine trilogy myself and although it wasn’t perfect, I thoroughly enjoyed it. The younger X-Men was good every other film any how

Indeed, I think the thing MCU learnt most is don't Screw the continuity e.g. 2 seemingly different sabretooth (or teeth?), bizarre situation with 2 different Mystiques prsumably the one in the first trilogy was not so worried about bein Professor Xs sibling......not sure anyone can make sense of the mess unless you just assume the time travel messes everything up which is possible way of looking at a poor attempt to smooth over a very messy release schedule.

Anyway...Not sure if anyone has mentioned it but...

Elvis movies...pretty much any of them, Harum Scarum,  Viva Las Vegas, Live a Little Love a Little etc. etc....He plays basically the same character with a diff name in everyone with more or less the same story slightly different plasterboard setting and some horrific mind movie songs...terribly dated when out watch them now...and yet....its ELVIS!

Lord_S_Gray

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #71 on: December 12, 2018, 02:20:55 AM »

Elvis never wanted to do all the fluff movies he did back in the day, but he was locked into a contract. They had weird music contracts back then that would force some of the more popular singers into doing movies too. I don't think it's that Elvis was opposed to acting, but he wanted to be able to choose his movie roles, which he wasn't allowed to do.

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #72 on: December 11, 2018, 08:05:11 PM »

Elvis never wanted to do all the fluff movies he did back in the day, but he was locked into a contract. They had weird music contracts back then that would force some of the more popular singers into doing movies too. I don't think it's that Elvis was opposed to acting, but he wanted to be able to choose his movie roles, which he wasn't allowed to do.

Yeah his manager Colonel Tom Parker guy was a...well anyway...The first few movies were good but the rest were just cash cow vehicles that were depressing to make as they are absurd to watch. I think what makes them 'so bad they're good' is the nostalgia factor, the sun bleached look of it and the sheer incredulity of it that gives it a strange charm in my eyes.

Lord_S_Gray

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #73 on: December 12, 2018, 07:10:40 AM »

I believe Singing in the Rain was also a failure at first. That is one of the best musicals ever made though.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #74 on: December 12, 2018, 01:07:37 PM »

Indeed, I think the thing MCU learnt most is don't Screw the continuity e.g. 2 seemingly different sabretooth (or teeth?), bizarre situation with 2 different Mystiques prsumably the one in the first trilogy was not so worried about bein Professor Xs sibling......not sure anyone can make sense of the mess unless you just assume the time travel messes everything up which is possible way of looking at a poor attempt to smooth over a very messy release schedule.

Anyway...Not sure if anyone has mentioned it but...

This, all of it. 

Elvis movies...pretty much any of them, Harum Scarum,  Viva Las Vegas, Live a Little Love a Little etc. etc....He plays basically the same character with a diff name in everyone with more or less the same story slightly different plasterboard setting and some horrific mind movie songs...terribly dated when out watch them now...and yet....its ELVIS!

Agreed, I've always thought they were continued movies from one to the next

How about Road House

I know there was a lot of hate towards that movie but I watched it as a kid and loved it, still like it now.  Sure, there's lots of lame dialogues but it was in the 80s, what movie didn't have bad dialogue?   

One of the most irrelevant scenes to me was when Dalton pulls in his 64 Buick Rivera, throws the keys to an old man sitting on the sidewalk while telling him that it's now his then uncovers a Mercedes-Benz in a parking garage.  There was no point to that scene whatsoever but it was funny to me for some reason.  But then later on, the owner of the Double Deuce uses a Sharpie to change the F word on a wall to BUICK so there's the play of words there.

The movie's absurd but one of the many reasons why I like it until this day.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: