Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Author Topic: Liberator w/Obsidian v4 LED Upgrade + add FOC  (Read 3597 times)
deevee2
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 110

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2018, 05:25:54 PM »

Agreed, a lot of these places will get them mass produced in China where the parts are cheap and there will be a lot of DOAs or that the part gets burnt out since they're not up to specs like most LED units are.  Also, LED values differ from manufacture to manufacture as well.

I ordered a bunch of RGBW XML LEDs (think the same ones Ultrasabers uses) from an American website and in bulk off eBay from China. going to run some of the cheaper ones and see how they hold up, they're way cheaper than other ones I see online of the same brand

Ultrasabers hilt builds:
  Archon 3.1 (RGBW, sound, activation box)
  Spectre (Neopixel, SmoothSwing, sound)
  Aeon LE v5 (RGBW, SmoothSwing, sound)
  Dominix LE v5 (RGBW, SmoothSwing, sound)

Ultrasabers empties:
  Chosen One, Graflex, 2x Dorinians, Savior, Raven, Consular

Hilt builds:
  Custom chassis, 18650 Li-Ion, bass speaker (2-4w), recharge port, 3rd party saber controller

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2018, 10:41:38 AM »

I ordered a bunch of RGBW XML LEDs (think the same ones Ultrasabers uses) from an American website and in bulk off eBay from China. going to run some of the cheaper ones and see how they hold up, they're way cheaper than other ones I see online of the same brand

Let me know how it goes, I'm curious to see the performance.  Just like Gumby has come across them, there are good cheap LEDs, we just have to find them.

deevee2
Knight Templar

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2018, 11:15:57 AM »

Let me know how it goes, I'm curious to see the performance.  Just like Gumby has come across them, there are good cheap LEDs, we just have to find them.

yeah same. luckily in regards to some of this, you can find info on parts from other hobbies. for example I had no idea the aftermarket flashlight modding community was so large, but they deal a lot with high power LEDs, heat sinks, batteries, stuck in a tube and there is lots of good info there. Also, the vape community deals a lot with Li-Ion batteries so there are lots of options there too, that's how I found the star wars themed battery heat shrink for my 18650's, it was a Vape shop

Ultrasabers hilt builds:

Ultrasabers empties:

Hilt builds:
  Custom chassis, 18650 Li-Ion, bass speaker (2-4w), recharge port, 3rd party saber controller

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2018, 11:23:10 AM »

yeah same. luckily in regards to some of this, you can find info on parts from other hobbies. for example I had no idea the aftermarket flashlight modding community was so large, but they deal a lot with high power LEDs, heat sinks, batteries, stuck in a tube and there is lots of good info there. Also, the vape community deals a lot with Li-Ion batteries so there are lots of options there too, that's how I found the star wars themed battery heat shrink for my 18650's, it was a Vape shop

Haha, I too dived into the flashlight modding community myself as well as the Vape community since the wife vapes but she's not technically sound. 

deevee2
Knight Templar

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2018, 11:27:31 AM »

Haha, I too dived into the flashlight modding community myself as well as the Vape community since the wife vapes but she's not technically sound. 

the vape community is crazy with their modding. a little more gung-ho than I am with electronics; especially when it comes to Li-Ion hahaha. they're more thinking like "let's see how much power and battery life we can get before starting a fire"

Ultrasabers hilt builds:

Ultrasabers empties:

Hilt builds:

imgumby001dammit
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 642

The Mighty, Mighty GUM

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2018, 05:55:34 PM »

I almost bought some of the radio shack 18650’s for vapes to see how theyd do. The thought of shooting leds out the emitter stopped me.

“Someday I will be the most powerful Jedi ever...”

AS

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2018, 01:28:16 AM »

the vape community is crazy with their modding. a little more gung-ho than I am with electronics; especially when it comes to Li-Ion hahaha. they're more thinking like "let's see how much power and battery life we can get before starting a fire"

Agreed. They’re more about power and whatnot over safety from what I’ve dealt with.  The flashlight  guys and gals are more concerned with safety but still dive into performance

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2018, 01:49:41 AM »

Great stuff, bro! I love that red flash with the teal blade.

Easy way to test LED dies: Grab 2 AA or AAA batteries, two lengths of wire with the ends stripped and tinned, and some electrical tape. Put the batteries end to end, attach the red to the positive and black to the negative and wrap it all tightly with electrical tape. Then, with the LED pointed somewhere besides at your face, touch the wires to the appropriate pads. (I usually shine them on a table) 3v is plenty to run a LED and not enough to damage it for a quick test. That saves you the pain of wiring it all up and finding out it's bad.

imgumby001dammit
Knight Commander

The Mighty, Mighty GUM

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2018, 03:55:48 AM »

Ok, after desoldering all my leads off the blown star, adding an additional resistor to green, and a 7.3 ohm to the red I ended up with this!

https://youtu.be/7reb5dYAN2E

I call it Pigletlarue Blue w/orange creamsicle FOC!!!

AS

deevee2
Knight Templar

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2018, 04:01:49 AM »

Ok, after desoldering all my leads off the blown star, adding an additional resistor to green, and a 7.3 ohm to the red I ended up with this!

https://youtu.be/7reb5dYAN2E

I call it Pigletlarue Blue w/orange creamsicle FOC!!!

looks cool man - nice and bright too! you're having a blast over there with resistors

Ultrasabers hilt builds:

Ultrasabers empties:

Hilt builds:

imgumby001dammit
Knight Commander

The Mighty, Mighty GUM

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2018, 04:10:53 AM »

Dude! Not as much as it might seem. I really did want the brilliant red I had at first. But, I’m down to only a few 3w RGBW’s, and I don’t want to use 1w ers for my Archon project. That being said, I have created some super cool colors!😎 Don’t think I don’t notice how much fun YOURE having on the cool projects you’ve got going on!!!👉🏼🤙🏻😱😜🤪😄😎🦃

AS

deevee2
Knight Templar

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2018, 04:31:12 AM »

Dude! Not as much as it might seem. I really did want the brilliant red I had at first. But, I’m down to only a few 3w RGBW’s, and I don’t want to use 1w ers for my Archon project. That being said, I have created some super cool colors!😎 Don’t think I don’t notice how much fun YOURE having on the cool projects you’ve got going on!!!👉🏼🤙🏻😱😜🤪😄😎🦃
to be honest I wouldn't have even thought to try resistors with an RGB LED to create a custom color, really opens up the color options just as much as if you had a blade controller. I'm nerding out so hard on assembling the electronics I've barely gotten to this stage yet, I need to slow down lol

I'm going back and reviewing my other builds and fine tuning things now - just starting to play with custom sounds and colors and I swear you could do this stuff forever

Ultrasabers hilt builds:

Ultrasabers empties:

Hilt builds:

imgumby001dammit
Knight Commander

The Mighty, Mighty GUM

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2018, 05:20:05 AM »

See, I haven’t even broached sound yet. I’ve got one v4 Obsidian board, and a couple other guys boards, but it’s difficult for me to wrap my head around. I guess one you get used to it, it’s easy, but, I haven’t figured it out yet.

AS

deevee2
Knight Templar

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2018, 05:53:20 AM »

See, I haven’t even broached sound yet. I’ve got one v4 Obsidian board, and a couple other guys boards, but it’s difficult for me to wrap my head around. I guess one you get used to it, it’s easy, but, I haven’t figured it out yet.

Wiring them is pretty straight forward, you can usually find diagrams for US and other guys boards on their respective sites or forums somewhere. The Obsidian/Diamond are the easiest I've played with so far in terms of modifying the colors/sound from your PC. The software is super user friendly in terms of customizing them to bring in custom sounds.

In most cases you can usually find sound fonts (collection of sounds) online that are in a format that works for most if not all boards. Most of the fonts I've found are 22khz 16 bit mono and I think US uses 44khz for their Obsidian and Diamond boards so it definitely can support them without issue.

If you need help with anything let me know I'd be happy to help where I can!

Ultrasabers hilt builds:

Ultrasabers empties:

Hilt builds:

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2018, 12:34:47 PM »

to be honest I wouldn't have even thought to try resistors with an RGB LED to create a custom color, really opens up the color options just as much as if you had a blade controller. I'm nerding out so hard on assembling the electronics I've barely gotten to this stage yet, I need to slow down lol

I'm going back and reviewing my other builds and fine tuning things now - just starting to play with custom sounds and colors and I swear you could do this stuff forever

Yup, the high or lower ohm ratings of a resistor can darken or lighten up an LED color; however, be careful not to go too low as the resistor is there to protect the LED from over current after all.  That's why drivers were designed but you can still play around with the color quite a bit before blowing the LED so just be careful with it.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: