Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Hilt length question v5 sabers  (Read 2976 times)
agiangrecom
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« on: December 13, 2018, 02:05:53 AM »

Looking to buy my first saber and have a question about the v5 models. The aeon and sentinel are the two I like but what is the usable hilt length on these? So excluding the window emitter in the sentinel and excluding the claws and pommel bumps on the aeon.

I am on the shorter side (5'6") and smaller hands and am wondering if these would end up being too big, especially the sentinel at over 13 inches as it is listed.

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 02:50:07 AM »

Either the 13.25" long for the Sentinel V5 is a typo, or they've drastically increased the length over the V4, which is more like 12.25" long. I suspect it's a typo, since Emory said in the presale video that they're the same length as the V4s.

agiangrecom
Force Sensitive

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 12:54:06 PM »

Went back and saw that in the video as well. Can someone answer this 100%. I am leaning more towards the sentinel but don't want to order it and it be too long.

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2785

Grey Assassin

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 01:02:25 PM »

I'm thinking that it's still the same length but I'm sure some of the members who recently received one can answer that

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 01:33:22 PM »

As far as I know, the Sentinels haven't gone out yet, or at least nobody here has reported getting one. There have been some Apprentices, though.

Golden Fedora
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 564

The Grey Prophet

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 03:24:07 PM »

Went back and saw that in the video as well. Can someone answer this 100%. I am leaning more towards the sentinel but don't want to order it and it be too long.

well if you are worried about it being too long you could order an Apprentice V5. It's the same hilt as the Sentinel just a bit shorter. I have a friend who is on the shorter side and he refuses to let go of my Apprentice

"Easy is the path to wisdom for those only not blinded by themselves."

-Broadside

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2018, 04:10:38 PM »

well if you are worried about it being too long you could order an Apprentice V5. It's the same hilt as the Sentinel just a bit shorter. I have a friend who is on the shorter side and he refuses to let go of my Apprentice

This, the Sentinel is a rather longer hilt so if you are concerned about the length versus your height, go with the smaller Apprentice like Fedora mentioned.

chalion
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 279

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2018, 11:43:01 PM »

I am 5'6" and much perfer using the Dark Apprentice V5 over the Savior, as comparisons for one handed sabers. Also 32" blades, but that may just be me not wanting to smash the blade on the ground when I spin it.

Note: The DA V5 is 10 inches vs the DI V4 which is 9.85 inches.

Note that the added length looks to be the pommel, plus the AV switch location is a bit lower, most likely to accommodate the new style windows. If I had a DA v4, I would use that in my example instead, but you takes what you have.

I have a Dark Sentinel LE V5 and Sentinel LE V5 on pre-sale order since October 6th. As soon as I receive those, I will measure, tinker with and probably do a video unboxing/review of them both. Not in that order though, lol.

OOPS, wrong pommel on the DI v4. I had a Dark Issue Battle Saber pommel on it. Both are the same dimensions though.

26 diamond lightsaber and counting

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2018, 12:37:09 AM »

Thanks for the comparison pic, chalion. Indeed, the added length is most likely the pommel. Nice pommel choice on that DILEV4, by the way. I have the DSI pommel on my Dominix LE V4. It suits that hilt style and color scheme nicely. Smiley

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2018, 09:01:31 AM »

As far as I know, the Sentinels haven't gone out yet, or at least nobody here has reported getting one. There have been some Apprentices, though.

I should have my Dark Sentinel V5 LE next week.  I am planning to do a full side-by-side comparison to my daughter's Dark Sentinel V4 LE, including side-by-side pictures.   I haven't seen any reviews of full-size V5 Sentinels yet, either.  From the video, though, it looks to be virtually the same size.

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2018, 09:07:45 AM »

I am 5'6" and much perfer using the Dark Apprentice V5 over the Savior, as comparisons for one handed sabers. Also 32" blades, but that may just be me not wanting to smash the blade on the ground when I spin it.

Note that the added length looks to be the pommel, plus the AV switch location is a bit lower, most likely to accommodate the new style windows. If I had a DA v4, I would use that in my example instead, but you takes what you have.

I have a Dark Sentinel LE V5 and Sentinel LE V5 on pre-sale order since October 6th. As soon as I receive those, I will measure, tinker with and probably do a video unboxing/review of them both. Not in that order though, lol.

OOPS, wrong pommel on the DI v4. I had a Dark Issue Battle Saber pommel on it. Both are the same dimensions though.

Nice comparison and they're beautiful, chalion

agiangrecom
Force Sensitive

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2018, 11:29:07 PM »

Would you be able to use either of those as two handed? Or would they feel too cramped?

Also would you mind giving the length that the cutouts are for the windows on the apprentice?

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2018, 05:52:42 AM »

So Marlena emailed me without me reaching out to her and said that the Sentinels are the same lengths, it's just the pommel is a bit longer which makes it 1/2 longer with it's V5 pommel attached. 

chalion
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 279

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2018, 10:51:21 PM »

58.44 mm for the full window length on the V5 Dark Apprentice hilt. (the "middle" finger of the 2 windows). The 2 shorter parts of that window are 31 mm long. Max width is 21 mm, with 11 mm wide for the "middle" finger.

The windows on the insert itself are 52.87 mm for the longest, with 25.3 mm for the shorter "fingers". All 3 are 3.38 mm wide. (+- .05 mm I could not hold the caliper steady: too much caffeine).  

Sorry I missed responding earlier to this thread. I was not monitoring it.

I can't wait to get my DS LE V5 & S LE V5 tomorrow. I want to see if they also have the insert/collar and what swapping between the 3 hilts will look like.

Also note: The insert/collar is aluminum machined and anodized. The machine tool marks are distinctive just like on the hilt. I noted this because it gives the "scratchy" feel All US hilts have that are anodized.

26 diamond lightsaber and counting

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: