Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down
Author Topic: Mass Effect Trilogy  (Read 25871 times)
Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« on: January 03, 2019, 08:54:26 PM »

So one of my favourite games on the PS3 was Mass Effect 2 and 3, although I did play Mass Effect 3 first. Overall i thought the story in Mass Effect 2 was the best but the g Wish me luck.ameplay in Mass Effect 3 was superior.

Despite having a PS4 and not being a massive gamer I have decided to give the whole trilogy a revisit. Going to start playing the first Mass Effect later this evening and then eventually import my game data across to see how the trilogy shapes as a whole. Wish me luck.

Darth Silenoz
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1287

Sith Juggernaut

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 09:16:10 PM »

The Mass Effect trilogy is my favorite series of all time. I keep trying to tell a friend how amazing they are and to play them any way they can. 2 was the best overall, but the combat in 3 is SO fun. I need to play through the whole series again myself. You have excellent taste.

"I believe it is quite possible to misbehave while still employing good manners." - Darth Logos

"There are too many stupid people, and I do not have enough patience for a whole universe of bozos." - Lady Revan

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 10:47:09 PM »

I played them completely backwards. A friend lent me MS3 which initially I hated (for about 15 minutes). But then I loved it. So I went back and got MS2, which I also loved. Had lots of fun playing through twice, once as paragon and once as renegade. And let us not forget the romances (gotta love an Asari).

Am about 90 mins on MS1 and while it is obviously a little dated and the controls at this early part of the game are a little clunky, it's nice filling in the backstory that I heard talked about during MS2 from various characters.

As gaming trilogies go, this is definitely my favourite. And it would be a brilliant basis for a sci-fi tv show (part Star Trek: DS9, part Babylon 5).

Darth Silenoz
Knight Commander

Sith Juggernaut

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 10:59:55 PM »

The Asari are... um, yeah. I know what you mean Grin (I miss you Liara!). If you need any tips let me know. When you play in order you could lose people from the first game that would be main party characters for the 2 and 3, but if you make the wrong choices you may never see them in the sequels at all. Same for part 2. 1 is going to be a bit harder for you to get into I would imagine bit it's still totally worth it. The item menu is just really clunky.

"I believe it is quite possible to misbehave while still employing good manners." - Darth Logos

"There are too many stupid people, and I do not have enough patience for a whole universe of bozos." - Lady Revan

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 11:34:52 PM »

The Asari are... um, yeah. I know what you mean Grin (I miss you Liara!).
Yep. And Samara too. And then there's the cute awkwardness that is Tali *sigh*

Anyway, back to the game and I am finding the aim and over-heating weapons particularly frustrating right now. But am hoping that will improve with upgrades. Plus I know that if I'm not careful I can lost people for future games (bye Kaiden). Hopefully, all the good characters will survive into MS 2 (and I know exactly how to make them all survive the trip through the relay and the end mission).

The item menu is just really clunky.
Compared to MS2 and MS3 a lot of things are clunky. But not surprising considering the game came out in 2007 (I think).

Darth Silenoz
Knight Commander

Sith Juggernaut

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 11:48:05 PM »

Oh yes. Tali... Anyway, yeah. I never saw Kaiden in 2 or 3 (later bro!). The overheating does improve with upgrades.

Did you ever do the romance with Jack in 2? I was with Liara in 1 but she was so different in 2 I hooked up with Jack because Miranda seemed too obvious (plus I like bad girls). 

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 11:53:35 PM »

Did you ever do the romance with Jack in 2? I was with Liara in 1 but she was so different in 2 I hooked up with Jack because Miranda seemed too obvious (plus I like bad girls). 

I romanced all the ladies during various runs through. Jack is crazy, but kinda hot in a bad girl kinda way. Miranda is, well, Miranda. As this is my first time playing MS1, I think I'll do what I did with MS2 and do various runs through, saved under different user names and romance a different person each time, which I can then take forward into MS2 to keep my options open.

What did you think of Andromeda? I thought it had some interesting "Lost in Space" elements, but had a few too many quests that were very samey. And overall, there were still a lot of similarities to the trilogy. But I didn't hate it. It just doesn't have the same replay value as MS2/MS3.

Darth Silenoz
Knight Commander

Sith Juggernaut

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2019, 12:23:59 AM »

I've never had chance to play Andromeda. I have yet to upgrade to a PS4 or XBOX ONE and have no PC. I'm still enjoying my 360 (plus I'm broke).
I recall hearing Andromeda was a travesty though.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2019, 12:27:18 AM »

It's really not as bad as some fans made out. The way I view it. MS2 and MS3 are like the Avengers and the Winter Soldier in the MCU (both brilliant movies and two of the best entries in the MCU). MS Andromeda is like Iron Man 3; all the parts for a good movie were there, but while enjoyable, the experience in the end was somewhat lacking (especially when compared to what came before it).

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2019, 01:49:02 AM »

Love Mass effect played the trilogy through twice - once as a Female Renegade (romancing Traynor) and Male Paragon (Romancing Ashley, then Miranda, then Ashley again...Great game I would pay a LOT of money if it were remastered into a single game combining all three (i.e. one big game with same mechanics, powers, leveling across) I'm actually amazed it hasn't been done yet would make a fortune and be an easier play experience...

Personally I loved the First one the most, possibly as it had the larger novelty factor when playing for the first time, but the second had the strongest story and character development, perhaps the biggest shame was you didn't get to keep the full crew from 2 over into 3, ture they got good moments in 3 especially Thane...but just not the same.

It's really not as bad as some fans made out. The way I view it. MS2 and MS3 are like the Avengers and the Winter Soldier in the MCU (both brilliant movies and two of the best entries in the MCU). MS Andromeda is like Iron Man 3; all the parts for a good movie were there, but while enjoyable, the experience in the end was somewhat lacking (especially when compared to what came before it).

Totally agree on Andromeda, it was a chance to do some really cool stuff and there were great new ideas...but it just didn't click and had a few annoying bugs and some bizarre skips of logic - notably how many Home galaxy raiders/pirates you end up killing, must be half the original initiative!. And weren't they all recruited and checked by the Initiative anyway? I think my biggest issue was its a new galaxy...yet all the new species are still basically humanoid...I get that is easier to program etc. but if you're gonna got fully out there having only non humanoid species would've made it really unique and added to the exploratory atmosphere that it didn't quite capture...the fact that the Angara had compatible technology etc. just not different enough. I think the biggest frustration was it was so close to being on par but just fell short, a little more focus group testing and time spent taking on feedback could've solved a lot of issues.

Biggest disappointment is Adnromedas crash may mean it will be a long time before we see ME revisited...Till then enjoy reliving the fun.

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2019, 02:03:55 AM »

Biggest disappointment is Adnromedas crash may mean it will be a long time before we see ME revisited...Till then enjoy reliving the fun.
There's enough threads there to make a sequel. If they took their time and developed a really good story this time round I think it would be a success.

As for the making it one big game, I would be all for that. Or just re-release them all for PS4 (as fans have been clamouring for since the consoles release). They have successfully remastered other PS3 games for the PS4, so why not these?

Also, I thought I was the only one who played through as both a male and a female so you could romance certain unattainable female characters. But I do a run through as a paragon and as a renegade. Because fun. And I'm really surprised more games developers don't use the import game data feature more. It's really interesting seeing how a choice you made in one game can affect events/characters later on in another game.

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2019, 02:40:03 AM »

My worry is Andromeda was such a bomb they'll just let it drop away, it would be a shame, but on the other hand fresh start might be a better strategy, perhaps an 'Alliance Corsair' type of thing pre-ME trilogy...or a galaxy struggling to rebuild post invasion, Salarian vs. Krogan in wake of genophage cure cleaning out remnants of Reaper zombies, resolving Geth and Quarian issues...so many things still hanging in the galaxy without having to go outside that might be an easier sell to fans if you want to avoid people turning their nose up at More andromeda....

Also, I thought I was the only one who played through as both a male and a female so you could romance certain unattainable female characters. But I do a run through as a paragon and as a renegade. Because fun. And I'm really surprised more games developers don't use the import game data feature more. It's really interesting seeing how a choice you made in one game can affect events/characters later on in another game.

There are some of us out there LOL...yeah a full game of them all release across all consoles...I'm surprised you can't get them on PS4 still, as you noted they have tons of remastered (uncharted, Last of us god of war) must be either lack of effort or copyright issues or something.

True on the save feature- that was i think a massive factor in its popularity, the continuity of character and getting a 'bonus' for having played before was awesome so you don't have to grind as much.  Given how many games are sequels i would love to see more of that to reward people who are invested in a series of games a bit more, just a simple thanks carryover of at least some skills/exp/gear whatever for loyal customers.

Yeah the Renegade moments in ME2...I love the way Jennifer Hale who did the voice for Shepard delivered some of those lines. I did the Renegade run first and not punching or shooting some of those characters as a paragon was an effort in genuine restraint...

Lord_S_Gray

Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Darth Silenoz
Knight Commander

Sith Juggernaut

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2019, 03:28:56 AM »

perhaps the biggest shame was you didn't get to keep the full crew from 2 over into 3

What makes you say that? I kept everyone alive. It's hard, but it can be done. Wink Glad to see you also appreciate this masterpiece of an experience.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2019, 03:34:13 AM »

perhaps the biggest shame was you didn't get to keep the full crew from 2 over into 3, ture they got good moments in 3 especially Thane...but just not the same.
I agree with Silenoz, it's tricky but can be done. I've done it multiple times. Best thing is to use Tali for the vents and them Samara for her biotic powers with the swarm. And if you have completed everyone's loyalty quests and beefed up the Normandy before you go through the gate everyone should survive, including kidnapped members of the crew.

Having them all alive makes the party scene in MS3 add-on all the more enjoyable.

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2019, 03:38:38 AM »

What makes you say that? I kept everyone alive. It's hard, but it can be done. Wink Glad to see you also appreciate this masterpiece of an experience.

I meant more that you don't keep Miranda/Thane/Samara/Legion etc. as party members in number 3. They were great characters and team mates and i would've loved to have even more time with them, Vega, EDI, Javik (*cough*Jaal*cough*) as replacements didn't do it for me, those four were a big part of why i liked ME2. I'm happy Liara and Ashely came back (poor Kaiden...boom) but yeah.  That also runs into my other complaint of the series as a whole limiting the squad to three members - as a crack team of elites i'd have thought a 6 man squad more appropriate, not for all situations maybe but for some of the larger conflicts it would've made more sense to have more than three people on the ground.  

Lord_S_Gray

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: