Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down
Author Topic: Mass Effect Trilogy  (Read 25879 times)
Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #75 on: January 21, 2019, 12:34:32 PM »

From what I have read, it is best to be consistent in how one plays Shepard through the trilogy.  IE, if Paragon, STAY Paragon and avoid most Renegade choices; if Renegade, vice versa.  I forget exactly why that is - I think certain story options only come into play this way, but I could be wrong.

I also tended to do different genders on playthroughs to see what else changed.
When I first played ME and ME3 I did a paragon and renegade run through as both male and female Shepard. However, I think because of how ME2 starts you can play as renegade regardless of what you did in ME1.

I'm glad you were able to complete and enjoy it. One of these days, I need to give it a go. Smiley

RE: weapons. Yeah, they like to "cripple" you in every game, somehow. I guess they figure if you don't earn stuff, you won't enjoy the experience. That's my best guess.
From what I've read, new game+ on both ME1 and ME3 you start with all the weapons, skills and resources you've already. ME2 is the odd one out for some reason. The only thing you csn carry over is your armour. Better than  nothing I suppose.

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #76 on: January 21, 2019, 11:04:26 PM »

When I first played ME and ME3 I did a paragon and renegade run through as both male and female Shepard. However, I think because of how ME2 starts you can play as renegade regardless of what you did in ME1.
From what I've read, new game+ on both ME1 and ME3 you start with all the weapons, skills and resources you've already. ME2 is the odd one out for some reason. The only thing you csn carry over is your armour. Better than  nothing I suppose.

What would be even cooler is if it were all integrate and you took the same weapons/armour across all three games e.g. start with N7 armour/weapons suited to your class that are 'yours' and you mod them as they go along e.g. get different characters/party members to help you upgrade them - they start of new and shiny and get increasingly damaged/scraped as you fight along...would feel much more personal like named weapons in fantasy stories more than just a weapon.

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #77 on: January 22, 2019, 05:51:49 PM »

What would be even cooler is if it were all integrate and you took the same weapons/armour across all three games e.g. start with N7 armour/weapons suited to your class that are 'yours' and you mod them as they go along e.g. get different characters/party members to help you upgrade them - they start of new and shiny and get increasingly damaged/scraped as you fight along...would feel much more personal like named weapons in fantasy stories more than just a weapon.
Now that WOULD have been cooler.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #78 on: January 23, 2019, 10:34:47 PM »

Okay, so I couldn't help myself. Have started Mass Effect 2 again, but this time playing as a renegade, but only from the time after Cerberus has rebuilt me. In my mind, going through a Flatliners experience like Shepard did would change him slightly. So, gone is the virtuous paragon soldier to be replaced by the sarcastic, angry, Terminator scarred, renegade attack dog. Not sure who to romance this time round. As a paragon I romanced Tali but as he's now so much of a bad boy I'm thinking maybe Jack. Or possibly Miranda. Either way just goes to show how high the replayability factor is.

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #79 on: January 24, 2019, 03:30:34 AM »

Okay, so I couldn't help myself. Have started Mass Effect 2 again, but this time playing as a renegade, but only from the time after Cerberus has rebuilt me. In my mind, going through a Flatliners experience like Shepard did would change him slightly. So, gone is the virtuous paragon soldier to be replaced by the sarcastic, angry, Terminator scarred, renegade attack dog. Not sure who to romance this time round. As a paragon I romanced Tali but as he's now so much of a bad boy I'm thinking maybe Jack. Or possibly Miranda. Either way just goes to show how high the replayability factor is.

Renegade always seems more suited to Jack as a romance...Surprisingly Miranda in the end tends to like paragon decisions a little more i found.  Anyway enjoy it, ME2 as you know is the best and there are some seriously badass renegade moments in that game especially on Tchunka.  Having said that not sure how a paragon import will go, a few of the best moments rely on being a renegade in the first one to really bite...but yeah i see your logic in changing personality so maybe will offer some good moments of confusion/conflict with people like Anderson, Tali, Garrus and such who see a new Shepard...

Lord_S_Gray

Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #80 on: January 25, 2019, 08:23:59 PM »

Renegade always seems more suited to Jack as a romance...Surprisingly Miranda in the end tends to like paragon decisions a little more i found.  Anyway enjoy it, ME2 as you know is the best and there are some seriously badass renegade moments in that game especially on Tchunka.  Having said that not sure how a paragon import will go, a few of the best moments rely on being a renegade in the first one to really bite...but yeah i see your logic in changing personality so maybe will offer some good moments of confusion/conflict with people like Anderson, Tali, Garrus and such who see a new Shepard...
I'm haven't decided yet, but I think I may go back to paragon when I play the character in ME3 (6 months of rehab with the Alliance and he would have be deprogrammed from whatever it was Cerberus did to him). it will be interesting to see Liara's reaction to Jack at Grissom Academy.

Also, that moment when it dawns on you that Adam Baldwin is voicing one of the characters.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #81 on: January 27, 2019, 03:48:27 PM »

So, my ME2 renegade run through is at an end I'd forgotten how much of a dick Shepard can be! Lol. However, in an effort to really add to my gaming experience I have now added From Ashes, Leviathon and Omega dlc to ME3. Be fun to see what's new as well as how choices I made in ME2 will affect the game this time.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #82 on: January 28, 2019, 09:44:05 PM »

MaE3: Leviathan - looking for Garneu on the asteroid. Liking this. Liking this a lot. Especially with the Indra sniper rifle.

ed_ification
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -385

Darth Cronfios

« Reply #83 on: January 29, 2019, 03:37:54 AM »

MaE3: Leviathan - looking for Garneu on the asteroid. Liking this. Liking this a lot. Especially with the Indra sniper rifle.

I LOVED Leviathan.  It added a dose of the cosmic scale to Mass Effect, taking it beyond its galactic scope, IMHO.  Can't wait to hear more once you complete it.

Did you do Overlord?

Sabers:
MR Vader - ANH
MR Vader - ESB
Dark War Glaive - Blazing Red - "Belligerence"
Standard Issue Grab Bag - Guardian Blue - "Bastion"
2 Shock LEs - Violet - "Perseverance" and "Integrity"
Archon - "Insight"
Dark Initiate - "Harbinger"

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #84 on: January 29, 2019, 09:43:37 PM »

I LOVED Leviathan.  It added a dose of the cosmic scale to Mass Effect, taking it beyond its galactic scope, IMHO.  Can't wait to hear more once you complete it.

Did you do Overlord?

Yeah also explained a lot about the Reapers, reminded me of lovecraftian great old ones in a way.

Lord_S_Gray

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #85 on: January 30, 2019, 07:30:51 AM »

ME3 Leviathan....... WOW!! Just, Wow. Loved it. Definitely gave a new understanding of the Reapers. It will be interesting to see how this dlc affects the conversation with the dying Reaper on Rannoch and with the AI on the Citadel at games end.

I will say that From Ashes was very short, although the addition of Javik to the crww is very welcome. Nice to hear his perspective on things, although his single-minded "enslave all races and kill those who oppose you" mentality is starting to become a bit one note. Which is a shame, because the voice acting for him is on point. Still enjoying the character though and he is a beast in battle.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #86 on: January 31, 2019, 01:20:58 PM »

The future of Mass Effect.

I didn’t hate Andromeda but it did suffer a little from “first game syndrome” trying to find it’s feet, set up a new franchise as a spin-off and deliver something different and yet familiar to hardcore fans. So, while I think there is definitely an opportunity for a sequel, I think there’s opportunity to have another ME game set in the Milky Way.

In terms of timeline, it will definitely have to be set after the Reaper invasion, but not hundreds of years afterwards though. Maybe 30-40.

One thing that I’m sure fans would love is the opportunity to play as one of the alien races, rather than always being human. In addition, this would allow Bioware to play mix and match with backstory and abilities.

My idea is you choose which race you want to be (Human, Drell, Turian, Asari, Salarian, Krogan, Batarian, Quarian) and then decide whether they will be a mercenary type, a researcher type or a Council Spectre. Not all options will be available for every race though. Then you can go on and choose with combat class to be. The original size classes will be there, however, certain options will only be available to certain races. I think limiting choices to specific races would add an interesting element to customising your character.

After all that has been done and you’ve spent hours perfecting the “look” of your character (skin tone, scarring, eye colour/shape/size/spacing etc) then you start the game.

Depending on if you chose to be a mercenary, researcher or spectre, this will affect how you approach certain scenarios: through intelligence and stealth, through negotiation or through full on combat.

In terms of story, who knows? I don’t think at this stage there needs to be a grand galactic wide threat. Having recently just completed ME3: Leviathan, maybe use that as a cue; lots of research, travel, intrigue and combat. I thought ME3: Leviathan was great and would gladly have played a longer, more involved version of that story.

What do you guys think of my idea?

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #87 on: January 31, 2019, 11:06:38 PM »

The future of Mass Effect.

I didn’t hate Andromeda but it did suffer a little from “first game syndrome” trying to find it’s feet, set up a new franchise as a spin-off and deliver something different and yet familiar to hardcore fans. So, while I think there is definitely an opportunity for a sequel, I think there’s opportunity to have another ME game set in the Milky Way.

In terms of timeline, it will definitely have to be set after the Reaper invasion, but not hundreds of years afterwards though. Maybe 30-40.

One thing that I’m sure fans would love is the opportunity to play as one of the alien races, rather than always being human. In addition, this would allow Bioware to play mix and match with backstory and abilities.

My idea is you choose which race you want to be (Human, Drell, Turian, Asari, Salarian, Krogan, Batarian, Quarian) and then decide whether they will be a mercenary type, a researcher type or a Council Spectre. Not all options will be available for every race though. Then you can go on and choose with combat class to be. The original size classes will be there, however, certain options will only be available to certain races. I think limiting choices to specific races would add an interesting element to customising your character.

After all that has been done and you’ve spent hours perfecting the “look” of your character (skin tone, scarring, eye colour/shape/size/spacing etc) then you start the game.

Depending on if you chose to be a mercenary, researcher or spectre, this will affect how you approach certain scenarios: through intelligence and stealth, through negotiation or through full on combat.

In terms of story, who knows? I don’t think at this stage there needs to be a grand galactic wide threat. Having recently just completed ME3: Leviathan, maybe use that as a cue; lots of research, travel, intrigue and combat. I thought ME3: Leviathan was great and would gladly have played a longer, more involved version of that story.

What do you guys think of my idea?

Interesting ideas.  Personally the idea of restricted classes isn't my thing, i want to be able to do anything and everything and change at will (which was a great part of Andromeda able to completely re spec at any time) having said that I can see the appeal of a system where instead of paragon/renegade choice you have Combat/Science/Stealth options, i think that would be a great idea Knox and make the morality of choices less obvious.  I can imagine a mission where the choice is like storm a facility and kill all enemies, infiltrate and assassinate the leader, or hack their systems and disable them mechanically - e.g. hack their ships navigation to fly into a star.  None are especially nice choice but for a Spectre all possible options.

I would keep it to different races having different perks e.e.g Asari get bonus to biotics (e.g. like +10% regeneration), salarian to science (+10% tech damage) - you're not tied to a path but get some nudges.  

I think your setting is good, 30-40 years post putting my fan fic writers hat on i would have it about a new Spectre (ie You) investigating a sect of Reaper worshipers who are seeking the origins of the Reapers ie the facilities where the Leviathans first created them - in an attempt to being them back.  I can imagine the devastation of the war would create some traumatized people who would turn fanatic for the 'other' side, like a Sinister Church of Machine Synthesis as the public face.  as you suggest its not galaxy wide threat but it is something the Council would need to deal with discretely given nominal religious freedom (Hanar worshiped protheans after all).  I think that could be done with the travel intrigue and combat on distant worlds with tomb raider style investigation of ancient leviathan ruins that also expands the back story of the Reapers.

With some solid B stories (for example assisting other Spectres on a separate cases from time to time, each Spectre having different personality/approach and reaction to your style) rather than ye olde run and fetch/destroy side missions it could be a better narrative experience overall.

Lord_S_Gray

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #88 on: January 31, 2019, 04:20:06 PM »

I would keep it to different races having different perks e.e.g Asari get bonus to biotics (e.g. like +10% regeneration), salarian to science (+10% tech damage) - you're not tied to a path but get some nudges.  
That is exactly my idea. Krogan as mercenary, yes. Salarian as scientist, yes. By being able to select a race and seeing which combat class is available for them would give more replay options too. Like playing as an infiltrator? Try it as a Drell or an Asari. Want to be more scientific? try it as a Quarian or a Salarian.

With some solid B stories (for example assisting other Spectres on a separate cases from time to time, each Spectre having different personality/approach and reaction to your style) rather than ye olde run and fetch/destroy side missions it could be a better narrative experience overall.
Definitely. Too many of the "side quests" are rinse n repeat go fetch types, especially in ME3

Interesting ideas.  Personally the idea of restricted classes isn't my thing, i want to be able to do anything and everything and change at will (which was a great part of Andromeda able to completely re spec at any time) having said that I can see the appeal of a system where instead of paragon/renegade choice you have Combat/Science/Stealth options, i think that would be a great idea Knox and make the morality of choices less obvious.  I can imagine a mission where the choice is like storm a facility and kill all enemies, infiltrate and assassinate the leader, or hack their systems and disable them mechanically - e.g. hack their ships navigation to fly into a star.  None are especially nice choice but for a Spectre all possible options.
Exactly. It would bring in some actual stakes and the need for proper/appropriate decision making from the player. And, there's always the risk of you trying to stealth, tripping an alarm and then having to blast your way out of there or use science as a cover to help you reach your target.

I think your setting is good, 30-40 years post putting my fan fic writers hat on i would have it about a new Spectre (ie You) investigating a sect of Reaper worshipers who are seeking the origins of the Reapers ie the facilities where the Leviathans first created them - in an attempt to being them back.  I can imagine the devastation of the war would create some traumatized people who would turn fanatic for the 'other' side, like a Sinister Church of Machine Synthesis as the public face.  as you suggest its not galaxy wide threat but it is something the Council would need to deal with discretely given nominal religious freedom (Hanar worshiped protheans after all).  I think that could be done with the travel intrigue and combat on distant worlds with tomb raider style investigation of ancient leviathan ruins that also expands the back story of the Reapers.
Intriguing. That is a good storyline, although I think it would make an interesting b storyline running parallel to the main story. Only reason I say that is because after an epic reaper trilogy that storyline is done. Revisiting it again as a main may look like retreading old ground.

Although, I currently don't have a better idea. Let me sleep on it and see what I can come up with.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #89 on: February 01, 2019, 10:07:12 AM »

So, I was thinking that as Lord Gray and I agree that another Mass Effect game does not need to have huge intergalactic stakes (right now at least) what does that leaves us with? After giving the ending of ME3 some thought (the dlc ending, not the original crappy ending), all the races in the galaxy are finally united and working together for a better brighter future. So what if something, or someone, came along and tried to undo all of that for personal gain?

Out of all the myriad of species that are featured across the ME games, there are quite a few who have limited screen time. Usually, this is not a problem as we fully understand their species anyway. However, there is one species that has a lot of untapped storytelling potential: the Yahg (first seen in the excellent Lair of the Shadow Broker dlc).

We see the Yahg briefly in ME3 at a Salarian STG base where the female Krogan are being kept and if you activated one of the panels you hear a recording saying the Salarians were trying to covertly uplift the species.

What if a Yahg (or that whole group of Yahg) escaped and decided to continue the Salarian experiments, but for their own purposes; they want to uplift their species by destroying the united races from within, sowing seeds of mistrust and using lies, disinformation, deceit and sabotage to reignite all prejudices and open old wounds.

Basically they are strategically trying to divide and conquer by getting the races to fight amongst themselves, meanwhile they are quietly gathering strength/resources in the shadows. We did see a few captured Yahg on the Salarian STG base, This would present a great opportunity to explore the Yahg species in more detail, as well as have a valid reason for having the main character running around the galaxy, putting out fires, preventing the destruction of galactic alliances, while also trying to uncover the architect (the Moriarty) behind all the chaos.

In terms of the team, if you decide to be a scientist type character, your team will still have soldier/mercenary types in it. On a covert mission, your task is to infiltrate and disable some defences so that the shooty people can get into the base. Maybe have a time limit on it and if you don’t complete it in time, the internal defences come online and you have to decide whether or not to proceed and kill everyone or retreat and possibly fail/find another way. Just an example of how playing mix n match with the species/classes would lead to some interesting and diverse gameplay options. As some people prefer shooty carnage, some prefer stealth and some prefer puzzles. And there’s nothing to stop you playing as other members of your team for certain missions (like playing as Ellie in The Last of Us for a spell).

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: