Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
Author Topic: Mass Effect Trilogy  (Read 25711 times)
Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #90 on: February 01, 2019, 08:08:00 PM »

Out of all the myriad of species that are featured across the ME games, there are quite a few who have limited screen time. Usually, this is not a problem as we fully understand their species anyway. However, there is one species that has a lot of untapped storytelling potential: the Yahg (first seen in the excellent Lair of the Shadow Broker dlc).

Interesting angle, certainly a race that could use more detail but would still keep it very consisntent with the lore that ha buil up.

What if a Yahg (or that whole group of Yahg) escaped and decided to continue the Salarian experiments, but for their own purposes; they want to uplift their species by destroying the united races from within, sowing seeds of mistrust and using lies, disinformation, deceit and sabotage to reignite all prejudices and open old wounds.

^^^ This after 30-40 years people start to forget about reapers, old rivalries resurface as the generation that fought the reapers starts to die (for some species anyway, Turian, Salariana and Human, even Quarian i think!) make it easy to exploit - the galactic peace is fracturing once more, slowly but surely.  Throw in not only the Yahg but some Reaper worshipers, Batarians, Human supremacists all equally causing trouble any you'd have dozens of angles and some very tough issues of morality e.g. for Batarians who were hit hard at the start of ME3 say they are demanding colonisiation rights against another race - who takes precedence, who has more rights to recover? and Slarians and Krogran - assuming genophage cure what tensions might there be then if the Krogan had a massive baby boom?  The Rachnii as well, perhaps they've split under two queens...even Quarians and Geth tensions rising (perhaps Geth at the point of full AI?).  So much potential for not just continuity but new issues to arise - not quite a galaxy at war, but certainly not at peace either.

In terms of the team, if you decide to be a scientist type character, your team will still have soldier/mercenary types in it. On a covert mission, your task is to infiltrate and disable some defences so that the shooty people can get into the base. Maybe have a time limit on it and if you don’t complete it in time, the internal defences come online and you have to decide whether or not to proceed and kill everyone or retreat and possibly fail/find another way. Just an example of how playing mix n match with the species/classes would lead to some interesting and diverse gameplay options. As some people prefer shooty carnage, some prefer stealth and some prefer puzzles. And there’s nothing to stop you playing as other members of your team for certain missions (like playing as Ellie in The Last of Us for a spell).

This too would be amazing but probably be a strain to program to get quality across all mission option, it could be done of course but would take a lot of development would be worth it though.  Switching character would also be cool temporarily or as the situation changes, i'd have the option for every mission so you can really try things out from all angles and be beter able to adapt.

Some great ideas there Knox.

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #91 on: February 02, 2019, 10:30:51 AM »

even Quarians and Geth tensions rising (perhaps Geth at the point of full AI?). 
Something that only became apparent during my recent run through, if you choose the option to destroy the Reapers, you are also destroying all artificial life in the Galaxy too. Including Edi and the Geth. The end scene by the memorial wall shows Edi's name has been added and there's an article on wikia confirming this too.

Throw in not only the Yahg but some Reaper worshipers,
I think this is thee only point where we differ. I think the Reaper storyline is done and we don't need Reaper worshippers or anything in this new story. Obviously just my subjective opinion. Other than that, there is definitely enough story to be going on.

I don't think people would have forgotten the Reaper war after only 30-40 years. However, that is definitely enough time for there to be strain on the alliances Shepard made in ME3.

Also, there definitely needs to be a statue of him in his armour on the Citadel.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #92 on: February 02, 2019, 01:22:39 PM »

Just had a thought. Rather than having people who worship yhe Reapers, why not "the cult of Shepard" who have taken his morals and deeds and twisted them under the guise of "doing the right thing". Not a Cerberus rip-off though, but something equally as misguided

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #93 on: February 02, 2019, 06:24:10 PM »

Just had a thought. Rather than having people who worship yhe Reapers, why not "the cult of Shepard" who have taken his morals and deeds and twisted them under the guise of "doing the right thing". Not a Cerberus rip-off though, but something equally as misguided

Nice...I'd have it as perhaps the remnants of cerebus rebadged over the decades - reviving Shepard was their crowning glory it would make sense they then believe they own her legacy. My concept for reaper cult was around the telepathic effects they have on people Saren etc possibly still being partially active as well e.g. someone gets a working control device to dominate others but finds themselves dominated in turn. I have no doubt there would be a lot of people experimenting with refuse reaper technology after the war so also could be new level of weapons/biotic advancement due to that study. I get main reaper threat is over but personally the idea of a little continuity appeals to me personally so you can see the path from the original trilogy more clearly - in my mind more cross over makes a stronger immersion.

But yeah a 'shepards of humanity' paramilitary faction would be a great idea and leave the question of what Shepard's legacy means and who owns it very open.

I think a lot would depend on the Canon ending...due to the death of all AI in the destroy option of ME3 I don't think you could do a game that caters for all ME3 results- the political situation would be too different in each case to make a single game from logically I think.

Lord_S_Gray

Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #94 on: February 03, 2019, 10:53:40 AM »

What is the official canon ending? 

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #95 on: February 03, 2019, 06:12:00 PM »

So, here is my current play through order of ME3. Thoughts?

Main story and then do From Ashes as soon as it's available
Main story right up until Genophage cure
Omega DLC
Main story Genophage cure onwards
Citadel Attack
Meet Quarians and rescue Legion
Citadel DLC
Start Leviathan DLC
Main story up to Rannoch mission
Finish Leviathan DLC
Main story Rannoch mission onwards
Citadel party
Finish main story (where I choose to destroy the Reaper scum and wipe their existence from the face of the galaxy. Because that's what good soldiering is)

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #96 on: February 03, 2019, 09:05:54 PM »

What is the official canon ending? 

I don't think there is one to be honest, were there to be a proper continuation one would have to be chosen as the outcomes are mutually exclusive in too many ways.

So, here is my current play through order of ME3. Thoughts?

Main story and then do From Ashes as soon as it's available
Main story right up until Genophage cure
Omega DLC
Main story Genophage cure onwards
Citadel Attack
Meet Quarians and rescue Legion
Citadel DLC
Start Leviathan DLC
Main story up to Rannoch mission
Finish Leviathan DLC
Main story Rannoch mission onwards
Citadel party
Finish main story (where I choose to destroy the Reaper scum and wipe their existence from the face of the galaxy. Because that's what good soldiering is)

Looks pretty good to me, very fitting to keep the party till right before it all comes to a close.

Lord_S_Gray

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #97 on: February 03, 2019, 11:05:24 PM »

I don't think there is one to be honest
Fair enough. Although I've always assumed, given the imperative in all three games was to find a way to destroy the Reapers, that the kill all artificial life option is the canon one. But that's just me.

very fitting to keep the party till right before it all comes to a close.
Oh, you have to keep the party till the end. No more side missions. No more planetary scans or artifacts to go fetch. No more diplomats to rescue. Just party down then go fight The Illusive Man before heading back to the Earth for the final big boss battle.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #98 on: February 15, 2019, 09:45:14 PM »

So, I was thinking about what a Mass Effect tv series would be like. I say series, as I don't think you could truly do justice to this franchise by making it into a movie.

My approach would be to take aspects of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, add in a little Stargate SG-1, season with a pinch of Babylon 5 and top it all off with some Farscape style garnish. The more think about it, especially the Star Trek DS9 aspect, the more I can see how the races would be portrayed:

(please note, this is a not a like for like comparison. More to give an idea of how they could be represented in an on-screen adaptation)

Asari - Vulcan
Krogan - Klingon
Salarian - Romulan
Turian - Cardassian
Volus - Ferengi
Quarian - Bajoran
Reapers - Borg
Rachni - Tholian
Hanar - Vorta

Also, doing a tv series would allow scope to flesh out things that are only mentioned in passing in the game, have flashbacks to earlier conflicts and really do some excellent character arcs for the main protagonists. Thoughts?

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #99 on: February 18, 2019, 01:17:39 AM »

So, I was thinking about what a Mass Effect tv series would be like. I say series, as I don't think you could truly do justice to this franchise by making it into a movie.

My approach would be to take aspects of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, add in a little Stargate SG-1, season with a pinch of Babylon 5 and top it all off with some Farscape style garnish. The more think about it, especially the Star Trek DS9 aspect, the more I can see how the races would be portrayed:

(please note, this is a not a like for like comparison. More to give an idea of how they could be represented in an on-screen adaptation)

Asari - Vulcan
Krogan - Klingon
Salarian - Romulan
Turian - Cardassian
Volus - Ferengi
Quarian - Bajoran
Reapers - Borg
Rachni - Tholian
Hanar - Vorta

Also, doing a tv series would allow scope to flesh out things that are only mentioned in passing in the game, have flashbacks to earlier conflicts and really do some excellent character arcs for the main protagonists. Thoughts?

Interesting concept, the setting in terms of in universe time would be critical - i'm thinking only shortly after humanity gets to the Citadel so there is still the 'awe struck' naivety of humans possible in the plot, feeling very small amidst a functioning much larger galactic civilization, could that way gradually introduce species and their quirks perhaps as part of an abmassadorial trip between diff species home worlds, gradually get to know their history/feuds.  Biggest issue is there are so many ways of doing it as you mentioned (Trek/Gate/Scape) it would be hard to know what would be best in terms of the 'home' setting - Citadel, alliance ship going world to world? Almost too much potential LOL.

Though arguably the easiest way would be to serialize the ME Trilogy itself - honestly you wouldn't need to change that much in terms of writing, just choose canon Shepard - imagine the end of season cliff hangar of the Normandy being blasted (you know for people who never played the game LOL)

Lord_S_Gray

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #100 on: February 18, 2019, 07:26:51 AM »

Interesting concept, the setting in terms of in universe time would be critical - i'm thinking only shortly after humanity gets to the Citadel so there is still the 'awe struck' naivety of humans possible in the plot, feeling very small amidst a functioning much larger galactic civilization, could that way gradually introduce species and their quirks perhaps as part of an abmassadorial trip between diff species home worlds, gradually get to know their history/feuds.  Biggest issue is there are so many ways of doing it as you mentioned (Trek/Gate/Scape) it would be hard to know what would be best in terms of the 'home' setting - Citadel, alliance ship going world to world? Almost too much potential LOL.

Though arguably the easiest way would be to serialize the ME Trilogy itself - honestly you wouldn't need to change that much in terms of writing, just choose canon Shepard - imagine the end of season cliff hangar of the Normandy being blasted (you know for people who never played the game LOL)
I was thinking Star Trek DS9 (set primarily on the station but balanced with ship missions). the Stargate part will be exploring the ME relay network. Farscape would just be the general weirdness.

I was thinking first season would end with Shepard stealing the Normandy and going after Saren. S2 would be him stopping Saren. S3 would be the ME2 storyline ending with them going through the omega relay. S4 would be the conclusion of ME2 story and the beginning of the Reaper invasion.

Storytelling wise, in the same way that Star Trek DS9 had episodes that were based around one character (a Bashir episode, an O'Brien episode, a Worf episode etc), Mass Effect and it's characters would definitely benefit from that kind of thing; exploring each character and their culture while moving the season arc along a little.

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #101 on: February 18, 2019, 09:20:54 PM »

I was thinking Star Trek DS9 (set primarily on the station but balanced with ship missions). the Stargate part will be exploring the ME relay network. Farscape would just be the general weirdness.

I was thinking first season would end with Shepard stealing the Normandy and going after Saren. S2 would be him stopping Saren. S3 would be the ME2 storyline ending with them going through the omega relay. S4 would be the conclusion of ME2 story and the beginning of the Reaper invasion.

Storytelling wise, in the same way that Star Trek DS9 had episodes that were based around one character (a Bashir episode, an O'Brien episode, a Worf episode etc), Mass Effect and it's characters would definitely benefit from that kind of thing; exploring each character and their culture while moving the season arc along a little.

Yep I can see that - in essence the character loyalty quests in particular would be perfect  for such character focused arc.  I think the only change needed would be rationalizing companions in later games - I think you could cut out say Jacob, Vega, maybe even EDI robot or else it would get too cluttered.  Keep tighter on Garrus, Tali, Wrex, Liara in first season to introduce races with Ashley/Kaidan more like Shepard sidekicks, but expand them in second season to make the loss of one more impact - then s3 as you have here very much a new set - Miranda, Samarra, Thane, Legion but also obviously have the time skipped others - then i'd keep the band together into s4 more than the game did to ensure continuity.  But yeah i can definitely see that outline you have working strongly with a few tweaks.

An important consideration would be do you have a Paragon/Renegade Shepard - I think that would have to be done a bit carefully, you want Shepard to be a bit of a badass but not just a thug....Gender is another interesting choice, shouldn't matter nowadays, but despite what we might like it does.  I would personally go Female about 75% renegade as of my own playthroughs i found that the most fun.

Lord_S_Gray

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #102 on: February 19, 2019, 09:53:49 AM »

[quote author=Lord_S_Gray link=topic=40540.msg700413#msg700413 date=1550524854
An important consideration would be do you have a Paragon/Renegade Shepard - I think that would have to be done a bit carefully, you want Shepard to be a bit of a badass but not just a thug....Gender is another interesting choice, shouldn't matter nowadays, but despite what we might like it does.  I would personally go Female about 75% renegade as of my own playthroughs i found that the most fun.
[/quote]When you look at DS9, Voyager and even Enterprise, there were times when the good captains did some seriously renegade stuff. If the situation was desperate enough it's possible to have renegade acts but still like the character.

Yep I can see that - in essence the character loyalty quests in particular would be perfect  for such character focused arc.  I think the only change needed would be rationalizing companions in later games - I think you could cut out say Jacob, Vega, maybe even EDI robot or else it would get too cluttered.  Keep tighter on Garrus, Tali, Wrex, Liara in first season to introduce races with Ashley/Kaidan more like Shepard sidekicks, but expand them in second season to make the loss of one more impact - then s3 as you have here very much a new set - Miranda, Samarra, Thane, Legion but also obviously have the time skipped others - then i'd keep the band together into s4 more than the game did to ensure continuity.  But yeah i can definitely see that outline you have working strongly with a few tweaks
Exactly.  But they could be teased in some episodes, explored in others. Lile Tali, her pilgrimage and her trial for treason. You can spread that whole storytelling arc across multiple episodes and seasons. Even have her meet other Quarians who are on pilgrimage but doing some nefarious stuff.

Character wise, I think core crew should be Shepard, Garrus, Wrex,Tali, Liara and Ashley (as Kaidan was boring as all hell). Recurring characters would be Joker, Dr Chakwas, Anderson, Udina, Hackett. Some of the other characters could start off as guest appearances, but become recurring characters in later seasons as the story develops and gets more complex.

If you look at TNG, there were plenty of times when one of the characters would only once briefly in an episode. So balancing a large crew should be easy.

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #103 on: February 25, 2019, 12:29:54 AM »

If you look at TNG, there were plenty of times when one of the characters would only once briefly in an episode. So balancing a large crew should be easy.

Good point.  Next obvious question is who you cast, i reckon Chyler Leigh (Alex Danvers in Super girl) would make a pretty good Fem-Shep. Would be cool to see some people who were In Trek/Stargate get some roles in there too.

Lord_S_Gray

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #104 on: February 25, 2019, 12:36:25 PM »

You would go Fem-Shep as the lead? I think, depending on the rest of the crew choices we would need to ensure male/female balance. Unfortunately I don’t watch Supergirl, so have no idea how good that actress is. But, if we went with Male-Shep, I was thinking maybe cast a black actor. Either or is good as we need more black captains and female captains in our sci-fi shows.

And there will be plenty of opportunities for former Trek/Stargate actors to appear in the show (like when Odo popped up for an episode in SG1). Maybe even cast JG Hertzler as Wrex!  Grin

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: