Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Ever use LA/RP Combat Force Abilities while dueling?  (Read 2073 times)
VoradJorbir
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 6

Vor'ad Jorb'ir [Light and Dark Side Points please]

« on: January 12, 2019, 11:49:58 PM »

Tried posting in the saber dueling section but no bites :/
Trying to figure out how to use force powers/use visuals short of a real taser (lol) for a live action video project xP

Such as the fly chided the frog, did the old bird chide the young wolf, as it knew the young wolf would never fly.
When the bird took flight, the wolf followed out of sight, wondering what nest he may just find.
But the wolf lost the bird’s scent, followed its chirps so frequent, ‘til it was lost in a place it’d never known.
And the bird ceased singing, landed on the head of a massive bear, and said “The inexperienced should never hunt alone.”

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 3214

You can't take the sky from me....

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 07:44:32 AM »

Tried posting in the saber dueling section but no bites :/
Trying to figure out how to use force powers/use visuals short of a real taser (lol) for a live action video project xP

Im not sure here is the right place either. This is for our forum based RPGs. Probably the fan fic section will be suitable, I'll try to move it there or get a mod to do it.

But basically you want some movie magic SFX along with hand movements- like you see in the SW movies. There's plenty of fan vids out there on you tube, some quite good. Watch some for inspiration.

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

archon v2.1, consular, dominix v3 LE, bellicose, 2x dark initiate v3 LE, dark initiate v2 LE, Aeonix v2, raven, 2x shock, 2x manticore, electrum wind em/v4 obs

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 11:47:00 AM »

Darth Knox may be the person to talk with, VoradJorbir.

I'll move this post where he'll see it. Wink

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

VoradJorbir
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 6

Vor'ad Jorb'ir [Light and Dark Side Points please]

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 04:54:56 PM »

Thanks, guys! And sure, is there any way to tag him?

Such as the fly chided the frog, did the old bird chide the young wolf, as it knew the young wolf would never fly.
When the bird took flight, the wolf followed out of sight, wondering what nest he may just find.
But the wolf lost the bird’s scent, followed its chirps so frequent, ‘til it was lost in a place it’d never known.
And the bird ceased singing, landed on the head of a massive bear, and said “The inexperienced should never hunt alone.”

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 06:08:27 PM »

I PM'd him. Wink

He'll see this at least. Smiley

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 09:24:18 AM »

I'm currently at work, but will jot down a few answers once I get home.

janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -21

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2019, 06:45:57 PM »

Interesting question, though I'd think the Saber Artistry people would have an idea or two:
http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?board=38.0

I think like the fight choreography, you'd need to note when Ability is used, and what visual cue might signal it.  An outstretched hand  for most Force FX and perhaps a choking motion for a Force Choke.

This signals the other player to start their dramatic reaction.

The hand gesture also gives a visual marker for where to add CGI FX.  And you can always do a camera cut if the chokee missed their mark, and switch to a close up of them choking.

firehand10k
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 388

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2019, 03:55:09 AM »

Search the internet for Monster Force Zero movie. Somewhere out there there's a trailer with me force pushing a fighter. It was completely improvised and neither of us duelers of the camera crew talked about it before it happened. Looked kinda real.

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff
Sentinel V4 staff
Zweihander
Shark
Bane
Brood Guard

janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -21

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2019, 12:56:53 AM »

This is an interesting puzzle topic.  If you're actually talking live video, you'll have a harder time with the FX, but here's some ideas on recording for FX.

The Vader choke-lift:
put the victim on a plank over a log (a small teeter-totter)
show Vader reaching out with the choking hand motion
cut back to the victim, grasping their throat (all head/neck shot)
have a crewman step onto the other end of the plank to slowly raise the victim

OR lower the camera and change the angle to keep position on the victim, to make it appear they are rising

Force Shove
rig a harness on the victim, with a pulley overhead
when the force shove happens, they jump a little and people pulling on the rope cause him to swing back
(watch Crouching Tiger's extras to see how they did that effect)

OR do the shove hand-motion and the victim leaps backward.  Won't look as wushu as the pulley system

Force Toss (Vader tosses lots of boxes at Luke)
Show Vader's hand making a grab and swipe gesture
change camera position to the victim
(have somebody off-camera toss a box at the victim (styro or cardboard)

Force Lighting (going to need a frame-editor or CGI app)
Emperor thrusts his hand(s) at the victim (I'd use a hand laying flat, fingers spread, thrust toward the target)
frame-edit the lighting from the moment the thrust is mostly complete to draw lighting until the hand fully extends and then returns to that mid-point.
basically, the hand thrust gesture is your marking point for when to start/end the lighting
(I have no idea what App to use for this)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: