Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Buckpuc For RGBW Wiring  (Read 1337 times)
imgumby001dammit
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 642

The Mighty, Mighty GUM

« on: January 15, 2019, 07:47:10 PM »

Is it possible to use a Buckpuc to drive an RGBW and still have it be color changing?

“Someday I will be the most powerful Jedi ever...”

AS

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 10:24:06 PM »

Of course.  Buck pucks just "regulate" the current flow to your LED.  Like "smart" resistors.  What the LEDs do after that, is up to them. Wink

Although, if you're using a strong colour mixing board, like Emerald, there won't be anything.  Drive parameters would do it. Smiley

Think of pucks as just resistors on steroids.

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

imgumby001dammit
Knight Commander

The Mighty, Mighty GUM

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 07:56:48 PM »

I’m just puzzled about the wiring. If the pos from the led pos goes to the corresponding wire on the driver , and the same with the neg, once you get to another color led, how is the board/driver able to apply the proper current at the proper time to have it change colors? Am I making sense?

AS

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 01:40:30 PM »

Well you are indeed correct...

..from my understanding, you'd either use a buckpuck, or an actual colour changing board.  Not both.

Each colour LED or "die" would have its own channel on the board, and would be "driven" according to preset parameters. 

When using a puck with an RGBW, each die's positive and negative would indeed be "merged".  That's normally done for a set mixed colour with another FoC, and may in fact require additional resistance on certain dies.

Sorry - my mistake.

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 10:24:38 AM »

Of course.  Buck pucks just "regulate" the current flow to your LED.  Like "smart" resistors.  What the LEDs do after that, is up to them. Wink

Although, if you're using a strong colour mixing board, like Emerald, there won't be anything.  Drive parameters would do it. Smiley

Think of pucks as just resistors on steroids.

What Rapine said unless you're using a LED driver which has these built in so to speak so you won't need resistors or a buck puck.  But if you're just using an RGBW with no driver, then yes, use a buck puck.

The LED drivers have presets for each LED die so it's already taken care of, you just solder them to the corresponding positive and negative pads/joints.

imgumby001dammit
Knight Commander

The Mighty, Mighty GUM

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 05:31:39 PM »

No sorry bubba, you’re helping me big time! I have plenty of resistors, so it’s not a pro to wire in a more traditional manner. I just bought a puck for this build, not having ever wired one I realized too late that I didn’t understand fully how to use it. Thankfully there’s always another build where I can be of use!! Thanks for all your help! Point

AS

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 01:49:37 AM »

RGBW would probably be the most efficiently ran using a buck puck. As you say, it beats putting in a bunch of different resistors. Wiring a single resistor for all the positives with a second resistor on the red would work, but the buck puck wil drive them more efficiently.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: