Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: saber repair help needed  (Read 2878 times)
Lance52
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 0

« on: January 20, 2019, 07:13:44 AM »

I have a an obsidian lite saber and my speaker has just given up and I don't know how to remove the speaker and battery tray module. Does anyone have a step-by-step guide to how to safely remove and reattach a battery tray and speaker. I'm pretty new at this so images or videos of the process would be greatly appreciated. also what is the best and safest way to remove the lite sound card from the battery tray without damaging it (I'm afraid that it will snap)?

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 09:49:20 AM »

If you're not confident doing that, you CAN send it back for a warranty repair...

...if you do in fact try it yourself, you'll void the warranty.

You may just have a wire off, but without pics, it's impossible to tell.

Look closely at your speaker wire connections.  Check if they're attached both at the speaker itself, and the board.  

If that IS it, a simple soldering of them would be it, and you shouldn't have to fully remove the sled/tray, or board - just take the batteries out.

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 04:01:21 PM »

What Rapine said. If you have some background with soldering, you can probably tackle it yourself.  But if it's under warranty, contact customerservice@ultrasabers.com and let them know what happened which will more than likely get warrantied repaired.

Lance52
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 12:51:52 PM »

The speaker does work but it only produces sound when I lightly press my finger on the vibrating membrane.

Rapine
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 12:59:27 PM »

It MIGHT be a blown speaker too then.  I'd email customer service for a path forward, myself...

Tell them exactly what you've said here, and try to include some pics, and an order# (if you have it).  That can be found on your UltraSabers account on the actual store site. 

Keep us informed as to what they say.  Smiley

In the meantime - have you removed/charged/changed the batteries?  I know that sounds too simple, but you'd be surprised how many times that turns out to be it...

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Lance52
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 01:48:12 AM »

My saber no longer under the warranty, I guess I should just try to fix it myself.
What is the safest way to get the sound board free from the battery tray?

deevee2
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 110

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 01:53:19 AM »

shouldn't need to do that. take the electric tape off, you'll see it exposes some wires with headers held on by hot glue. pick the glue off, and it looks like these 2 pins there at the end (here is a link to the technical guide/pins) http://rsxengineering.com/saber_resources/ObsidianLite_Datasheet.pdf

so since the 2 speaker wires are at the end, disconnect them, cut the plastic headers off with enough slack to solder new wires to, then you should be able to pull the speaker off the battery holder and pull the wires out (they're run through the  battery area). then just buy a new 2w 8ohm speaker from the custom saber shop - the "premium" one is almost identical to ultrasabers in size. if you want to get a bass speaker that works too but you'll need to glue it in cause it sticks out a bit in the battery holder.

when the speaker arrives, solder some wires to it, run them through the battery holder out the other end, and install the speaker in the battery holder fully (press-fit, glue whatever). then solder on the plastic wire headers you cut off the other speaker wires, plug back in (polarity doesn't matter so either plug to either pin for speaker) and you should be ready to go!

Ultrasabers hilt builds:
  Archon 3.1 (RGBW, sound, activation box)
  Spectre (Neopixel, SmoothSwing, sound)
  Aeon LE v5 (RGBW, SmoothSwing, sound)
  Dominix LE v5 (RGBW, SmoothSwing, sound)

Ultrasabers empties:
  Chosen One, Graflex, 2x Dorinians, Savior, Raven, Consular

Hilt builds:
  Custom chassis, 18650 Li-Ion, bass speaker (2-4w), recharge port, 3rd party saber controller

Rapine
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 01:59:28 AM »

I removed one before, but it kind of just popped off after removing the tape at the end.

They're held on with two-sided mounting tape.  If it's really on there, I'd maybe try gently lifting it, and using an exacto knife to slice the mounting tape - carefully.

Before you start, check a wiring diagram, and KNOW it.  The speaker wires are right next to each other on one end.  The wires for them can be seen running up the inside of the battery compartment.

Like I said, you MIGHT not even have to remove that board to see the trouble.  Just follow the wires.

Seriously; KNOW that diagram.  It'll be WAY easier.

Lance52
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2019, 12:09:53 PM »

How can I remove the sound board if there is not enough wire length?

Rapine
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2019, 12:43:01 PM »

How can I remove the sound board if there is not enough wire length?
There's not?  That's a first.

Why are you so set on removing the board?  There's most likely just a poor connection on the speaker itself, so you wouldn't have to remove anything.  Just pop out the speaker from the holder and re solder it.

After deevee mentioned the plastic headers attached to the board, I figured that really couldn't be it.  Then remembered that you mentioned it working while pressing against the speaker.  Tells me there's a wire off there - that's actually not too rare.

I personally wouldn't mess with the board, if I didn't have to.

Lance52
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2019, 10:30:12 AM »

How do I pull the speaker out of the holder? sorry I'm a noob and I might be overthinking the whole situation.

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2019, 12:00:27 PM »

Just pop out the batteries and push it out from there

Rapine
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2019, 05:24:39 AM »

Yeah - those holders are sealed...

I personally haven't found a very simple way of doing that Lance52, but hopefully someone knows a trick. Smiley

It won't just pop out, if you give the holder a tight squeeze above the speaker huh?

Let me ask around...

Rapine
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2019, 12:02:24 AM »

Update:

Yeah - just try to push it out through the small holes near the battery.  A retention screw wrench works well apparently. Wink

Lance52
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2019, 03:48:05 PM »

How do I take the switch out of my archon 2.1?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: