Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Custom lightsaber crystal or blinking hilt leds  (Read 1936 times)
Chad mikolyski
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -22

« on: January 21, 2019, 11:48:28 AM »

Hey everyone,

I have had some cool experiences with trying to add crystal chambers or accent leds (essentially blinking lights on the hilt) some similar the Luke’s hilt in rotj, with an obsidian saber. I know that the obsidian soundboard does not have an accent led pad, but it is really easy to wire in led systems parallel off your blade and I wanted to get us sharing more on how this is done and see what other modifications people have done.

So anyone added a crystal chamber to their ultrasaber or accent leds?

Here are some links to things I have been working on:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BftLYzYAvIK/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=akum8sci9mxe

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkNiAMPF5aN/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=6tn2uouz5yzx

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkQXf8wly8m/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1gyveqavzv4yl

I would love to see what others are doing. I have become pretty obsessed with saber modding and would like to share with the community here and learn from others.

Thanks

-Chad

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 06:57:39 PM »

Cool project you have going on

BatMike90
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -793

Dark (Knight) Side Points.

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 11:11:47 PM »

I am not a DIY'er but I am very interested in what you are doing and look forward to seeing a final product.

Arsenel:
RGBW DIAMOND: Archon v3.1 / Dominicide / Graflex SE /  Guardian
V4 SOUND : Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Emperor's Hand
STUNT: Aeon v4 / Bellicose / Dark Apprentice v4 (x2) / Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Phantom Initiate V4 / Prophecy v3 / Renegade LE / Scorpion (x2)
Star Wars Cosplay Alias:
Merik Wolfe (Jedi Knight) / Darth Marcotus (Sith Warrior)
BatMike90's Soundfonts

deevee2
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 110

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 12:15:26 AM »

I've been able to wire up all kinds of Accents, but a crystal chamber is a different animal. The AV switches Ultrasabers uses unfortunately stand right in the way inside the hilt; if you go with a different style activation switch that gives you more room inside you'll have a much easier time fitting in a crystal chamber. If you look at the setups the pros do, they use basically an all-in-one chassis with the chamber built into it, and they slide the entire thing into a completely empty hilt with plungers on the hilt to connect with tactile buttons mounted right on the chassis.

Ultrasabers hilt builds:
  Archon 3.1 (RGBW, sound, activation box)
  Spectre (Neopixel, SmoothSwing, sound)
  Aeon LE v5 (RGBW, SmoothSwing, sound)
  Dominix LE v5 (RGBW, SmoothSwing, sound)

Ultrasabers empties:
  Chosen One, Graflex, 2x Dorinians, Savior, Raven, Consular

Hilt builds:
  Custom chassis, 18650 Li-Ion, bass speaker (2-4w), recharge port, 3rd party saber controller

imgumby001dammit
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 642

The Mighty, Mighty GUM

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 05:29:16 AM »

I've been able to wire up all kinds of Accents, but a crystal chamber is a different animal. The AV switches Ultrasabers uses unfortunately stand right in the way inside the hilt; if you go with a different style activation switch that gives you more room inside you'll have a much easier time fitting in a crystal chamber. If you look at the setups the pros do, they use basically an all-in-one chassis with the chamber built into it, and they slide the entire thing into a completely empty hilt with plungers on the hilt to connect with tactile buttons mounted right on the chassis.

I did not know this, and my mind was just totally blown! We will have to discuss this for a certain (kof, kof) Project I know...

“Someday I will be the most powerful Jedi ever...”

AS

Chad mikolyski
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2019, 08:42:53 AM »

I have added crystal chambers to my scratch built custom sabers using other boards and hilts from different companies but I really want to find a simple way to build a crystal chamber chassis mount that can be easily added to Ultrasabers using the obsidian board since I have three of them.

Anyone built a diy replacement or modified chassis for their ultrasaber? Curious to know what parts were used.

deevee2
Knight Templar

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2019, 04:11:43 PM »

I have added crystal chambers to my scratch built custom sabers using other boards and hilts from different companies but I really want to find a simple way to build a crystal chamber chassis mount that can be easily added to Ultrasabers using the obsidian board since I have three of them.

Anyone built a diy replacement or modified chassis for their ultrasaber? Curious to know what parts were used.

Certain sabers this might be possible on, some of Ultrasabers are the same inner diameter the entire length and you can get creative. Others however, have a "stopper" inside where the inner diameter thins out to 1", and this stopper prevents custom chassis from going further than about 4" or so into the hilt. With that little space, there isn't room to put a board, chamber, battery, in the available space. Things like the Raven however, have more options, as those have very large open hilts.

The other downside to doing a crystal chamber with Ultrasabers hilts is how they disassemble. Most of the replica props I've seen used come apart in the middle, so you can quite literally reveal the crystal chamber while the saber is running. Ultrasabers obviously come apart at the pommel, so you'd have to slide everything out to potentially see the chamber, and depending on wire length, that may or may not be possible.

Ultrasabers hilt builds:

Ultrasabers empties:

Hilt builds:
  Custom chassis, 18650 Li-Ion, bass speaker (2-4w), recharge port, 3rd party saber controller

Chad mikolyski
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2019, 06:34:37 PM »

Those are some good points. On one other saber I used an angle grinder to cut out a small section of the hilt to make it look like hilt battle damage and let the crystal shine through the blast hole in the hilt and it looks pretty cool. I think a bigger question for me is a diy crystal mount/ holder so it stays in place with durability on par with heavy dueling etc...

deevee2
Knight Templar

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2019, 12:17:34 AM »

Custom builds often use a 3d printed chassis to hold the battery/soundboard/speaker inside, if someone designed one that had a crystal incorporated into the top half or something that may work. Problem is even on these most of the length is taken up by the length and girth of an 18650 Lithium Ion. Usually there is a flat surface on top that can fit some form of soundboard, but there isn't a ton of room to work with so it'd have to be incorporated into this upper flat area somehow without taking up too much space so that you can't fit a soundboard. Nothing is impossible obviously, just may need to get super creative with this one.

Ultrasabers hilt builds:

Ultrasabers empties:

Hilt builds:

imgumby001dammit
Knight Commander

The Mighty, Mighty GUM

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2019, 02:26:37 AM »

It’s been a slow process, and probably will continue to be, but I’m working on the chassis/crystal chamber combo. It’s going into a non-us hilt, so I can’t show the whole thing, but as I get it ramped up I’ll try to post what I can. Got more parts today...

AS

Chad mikolyski
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2019, 05:06:02 AM »

If you are building a chassis yourself I would definitely like to see. I understand the restrictions on other guys parts being discussed here but what really interests me is how you build your own chassis so I can build one for my own in an ultrasaber! Either way feel free to dm me or something with progress photos or plans.

Sounds awesome man!

deevee2
Knight Templar

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2019, 01:11:31 PM »

If you are building a chassis yourself I would definitely like to see. I understand the restrictions on other guys parts being discussed here but what really interests me is how you build your own chassis so I can build one for my own in an ultrasaber! Either way feel free to dm me or something with progress photos or plans.

Sounds awesome man!

I think most are 3D designed now and 3D printed

Ultrasabers hilt builds:

Ultrasabers empties:

Hilt builds:

Chad mikolyski
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2019, 03:37:23 PM »

That is true I agree I have seen most 3D printed. I just feel like it would be really cool to be able to make out diy out of hardware store parts or using a pvc pipe and making it into a sled or something. I just don't know anyone who has made one personally.

imgumby001dammit
Knight Commander

The Mighty, Mighty GUM

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2019, 03:49:36 PM »

Ya, I done have a 3D. I may get and mod part of one, but it will be a combo, if at all. Here’s to hoping I can make it cool!!

AS

deevee2
Knight Templar

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2019, 05:24:07 PM »

That is true I agree I have seen most 3D printed. I just feel like it would be really cool to be able to make out diy out of hardware store parts or using a pvc pipe and making it into a sled or something. I just don't know anyone who has made one personally.
The custom saber shop has parts to build a physical one out of metal rods and circular discs check that stuff out

Ultrasabers hilt builds:

Ultrasabers empties:

Hilt builds:

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: