Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: What’s the difference between grab bag and mystery box?  (Read 1970 times)
broba_fett
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 10

« on: January 28, 2019, 04:36:18 PM »

Other than the I believe 5$ difference what is the difference? I’ve gotten a couple of mystery boxes and was thinking about doing the grab bag.

Solstice Lacer
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -424

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 05:19:31 PM »

A mystery box saber has a chance to come with sound, a grab bag will always be a stunt saber (no sound).

Laying low, seeking out the poorer quarters where the ragged people go, looking for the places only they would know.

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 06:57:41 PM »

Grab Bags are mostly low-end sabers that come without sound and might have some minor flaws on the hilt. Scratches, dents, sharp edges that haven't been machined and filed off properly, things like that. But the staff always knows the hilt and specs when it's shipped.

This is the most important difference to a Mystery Box. As the name implicates, the saber is a complete mystery to both the sender and the receiver - only the maker who made and boxed it knows the exact specs and the hilt type, but not the one who picks and ships the finished Mystery Box. However, there is a chance that it's a premium saber with premium specs like sound, Emerald or even Diamond. And you can be quite sure that it will have no real flaws like a Grab Bag.

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

Malik Thanewulf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -488

Grey Jedi with MAJOR Sith-like tendencies

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 07:10:16 PM »

Racona nailed it. Grab bag sabers are usually great for spinning, or for taking some heavy damage when you're practicing.  They are pretty sweet, but you don't mind so much if you drop it.

My Collection: Monarch CE

Wish list:  maybe a Sword of Omens (not sure which color)

StoryDtechtive
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 91

Light always casts shadow/Darkness defines light!

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 12:57:01 PM »

Racona nailed it. Grab bag sabers are usually great for spinning, or for taking some heavy damage when you're practicing.  They are pretty sweet, but you don't mind so much if you drop it.

Yes...point!  Pay less, worry less. I’ve seen some nice hilts tossed into the grab bag mix. There’s always a chance you’ll get something decent. I don’t know what the odds are of that, or if the better hilts just get tossed into the GB when they get scratched or something. I recieved a nice condition Dark Apprentice LE with windows from a grab bag and was very happy to get it. This would be a fairly typical hilt for most GB unboxongs I’ve seen—Initiates, Apprentices, Aeons, and Sentinels.  Always a stunt saber. And awesome if you don’t want to pay too much and get a beater saber for practice. I believe there’s an option where you can not add a blade and the cost will come down to $55. And if you need a blade, just go to their grab bag blades and pick one up for $8-$12 dollars. Best bargain on a stunt saber Smiley

Saber Arsenal:
$75 MB: Liberator GB Stunt Saber
Electrum Wind FO Lite Sound
Chosen One SE BR Lite Sound (Forthcoming)
$75 MB: ? (Forthcoming)
Grab bag saber: ? Fall Raffle 2018 4th prize (Forthcoming)

Most Wanted: Graflex CE, Chosen One CE, Prophecy, Archon 3.1 That would be a good start Smiley

StoryDtechtive
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 91

Light always casts shadow/Darkness defines light!

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 08:08:26 PM »

BTW, keep in mind, the GB blades may have minor scratches as well, or used for demonstration/display purposes at cons. My Initiate GB had a strip of glue along the inside bottom to hold the film in. Which was quite handy, actually. Probably used for display. Looks fine otherwise.

Saber Arsenal:
$75 MB: Liberator GB Stunt Saber
Electrum Wind FO Lite Sound
Chosen One SE BR Lite Sound (Forthcoming)
$75 MB: ? (Forthcoming)
Grab bag saber: ? Fall Raffle 2018 4th prize (Forthcoming)

Most Wanted: Graflex CE, Chosen One CE, Prophecy, Archon 3.1 That would be a good start Smiley

Racona Nova
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 08:49:20 PM »

Not only GB blades have the film glued in. All of my blades have it, and they were non-GB blades. Don't know if they still do it, haven't ordered blades or saber for quite a while...the last one was about 5 years ago Cheesy

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2019, 08:53:34 PM »

Not only GB blades have the film glued in. All of my blades have it, and they were non-GB blades. Don't know if they still do it, haven't ordered blades or saber for quite a while...the last one was about 5 years ago Cheesy
I THINK they stopped doing that actually.

Grab bags also have a few options.  For example: you can choose a blade color, and if you want a covertech...

In the future too, broba, if your post title ends with a question mark, I ask that you post it in "Questions". Smiley Tongue

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Racona Nova
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2019, 08:58:35 PM »

How do they fixate it now? I mean, without any fixation the film would still move and wrinkle?

Sig by Master Nero

Rapine
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2019, 09:20:13 PM »

I believe that it isn't fixed at all, as seems to be standard practice in the hobby now.  I guess a lot of the "fixed" ones were getting wrinkled and warped upon changes in temperature or humidity, but "free" film was able expand/contract just fine (?)

Again - I'm not sure that US does this.  It's been a while for me too.  Tongue

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

broba_fett
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2019, 05:53:05 PM »

I THINK they stopped doing that actually.

Grab bags also have a few options.  For example: you can choose a blade color, and if you want a covertech...

In the future too, broba, if your post title ends with a question mark, I ask that you post it in "Questions". Smiley Tongue

Roger that my bad!

broba_fett
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2019, 05:55:54 PM »

Also one thing I like about the grab bag is that there is a little customization to it. Like being able to choose the color and having the option for the covertec wheel and clip

Rapine
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2019, 03:59:01 PM »

Roger that my bad!
No worries, and thanks. Smiley

Racona Nova
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2019, 07:06:59 PM »

I believe that it isn't fixed at all, as seems to be standard practice in the hobby now.  I guess a lot of the "fixed" ones were getting wrinkled and warped upon changes in temperature or humidity, but "free" film was able expand/contract just fine (?)

Again - I'm not sure that US does this.  It's been a while for me too.  Tongue

Sounds reasonable Tongue Thanks!

Sig by Master Nero

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: