Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: How to get started?  (Read 2672 times)
honestgamer15
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

Saber saber saber

« on: January 22, 2019, 11:59:16 AM »

We (my friends and I) are new to the whole saber scene.  We are buying a saber and hosting an event for my friends bachelor party next month (also buying our own).  I tried to do a search but couldn't find any good info. 

Would anyone be willing to help me find some details on typical physical duel rule sets and combat details?  Youtube or links to rules would really help.  I have a few friends that do Belegarth who might join us to give an intro class so we don't hurt each other too well.

Any other tips or details for a bunch of new guys?

Thanks!

I am new and looking to get started with this!

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 838

Avatar from the DarthScrub's factory

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 08:31:12 AM »

The very first thing to do is: HAVING fun Wink

To have fun, stay safe you must!! So, have gloves and head protections. I do not know how you will consider your bachelor party but be careful. A light saber may be not a non lethal weapon, it can hurt seriously ... so have also a watch about alcohol consumption Smiley

Then, if you are all beginners, you can have a look on the TPLA vids on youtube and practice the basics. Also, if you have any fencing/kendo/wushu/every staff or blade based martial art association in your area, you can have a try. It will help you a lot. Your friends that practice Belegarth will surely give you many good advices.

For the rules, as beginners, you should use very simple ones like "stopping the duel at the first touch" ...

Feel free to ask if I do not reply to your question the way you wanted to Wink

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

For other free words of wisdom, dial 555-YODA

Odion
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 4

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 08:51:51 PM »

Hello! I am a fencer (historical european martial arts) and I have done some theatrical fencing.

Please dont mind my english - I am from germany...

If you are willing to duel and none you is experienced in duelling, your fights will pretty fast get frustrating and somebody will get hurt.
Duelists tend to fight with very short paths and fast speed - for most people these fights are hell of boring.

Watch these guys - a fencing tournament at my HEMA school (watch from 2:50)

I recomend to try stage fighting.
These fights are choreographic fights and alow alot more freedom, since you discuss, practice and alter the moves. These are the real "Hollywood-style" fights.

That works like this: you play the "boxing game"!
We have two (or more!) duelists. A and B for now.

- A and B are choosing a stance (the dramatic opening) and stand in front of each other (3m away)
- A begins and (slowly!) hits his target, while B just waits.
- Begin again (distance, stance, first strike A - SLOWLY!)
- This time B makes a parade.
- Begin again (distance, stance, first strike A, parade B - SLOWLY!)
- Now B makes an attack.

and so on.

Make wide movements (absolutely suicidal for "real" fencers, but nice for watchers).
Make some athletic moves (also only recomended for fencers who wish to die).
Combos are allowed.
Parting, threatening and attacking again is a good method to connect different small choreografics to a larger fight. We practiced alot of short 1on1 choreos and made a big 4-8 people fight out of it.
Make alot different moves - always the same is boring.

DONT target the oponents sword when attacking (the way kids do at stick fighting), always the person/body - your want to kill your oponent, not make some flashy-clashy noises.

AND: Determine a length of your fight - 5-10 attacks per person for the beginning is enough.

Important: determine at the beginning, who will be the aggressor (first attacker) and who will die, AND how he/she/it will die. Its a unique art and called "handsome dying".

If you have finished the choreo, you start to practice your fight. If you are secure with the steps, you can start to slowly increase the speed.
Dont fight too fast, since your audience want to see more than only flashy, whirling swords.

And: HAVE FUN Wink

mrg149
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -159

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 03:03:39 AM »

I think I'm going to check out my nearest Saber Guild temple next week and learn me some saber…I've got a couple of US…now it's time to learn how to use them! :-D

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
*Dominix LE v2 - "Dark Apprentice"
*Dominix LE v3 - "INVICTUS"
*"GUARDIAN" -Ask for Picture (non-US saber)
-Whatever Points-

honestgamer15
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

Saber saber saber

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 03:49:26 PM »

The very first thing to do is: HAVING fun Wink

To have fun, stay safe you must!! So, have gloves and head protections. I do not know how you will consider your bachelor party but be careful. A light saber may be not a non lethal weapon, it can hurt seriously ... so have also a watch about alcohol consumption Smiley

Then, if you are all beginners, you can have a look on the TPLA vids on youtube and practice the basics. Also, if you have any fencing/kendo/wushu/every staff or blade based martial art association in your area, you can have a try. It will help you a lot. Your friends that practice Belegarth will surely give you many good advices.

For the rules, as beginners, you should use very simple ones like "stopping the duel at the first touch" ...

Feel free to ask if I do not reply to your question the way you wanted to Wink

Thank you this info!  I've watched most of their videos and it was quite helpful.  I am organizing how we will do a mini competition (no drinking when fighting) since most of the guys would rather see a winner than stunt play.  I also purchased a bunch of safety equipment so there shouldn't be any broken fingers or faces!  The videos helped me determine the best way to do some of the evening =]

Hello! I am a fencer (historical european martial arts) and I have done some theatrical fencing.

Please dont mind my english - I am from germany...

*snip*

And: HAVE FUN Wink

Your post is very helpful.  I think people would rather have a bunch of short fights where we can get "points" and have a winner.  I will watch some of the other videos on fencing to find more tips!  I have a good general idea how the sport works at a systems point and some safety gear so no one should feel out of place getting hit Wink

I am new and looking to get started with this!

Odion
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 4

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 05:42:20 PM »

=) great! But we need videos of that tournament Wink

Cang Snow
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 42

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2019, 11:29:18 PM »

Please join me for a Google Hangout Feb 24 about getting started in Lightspeed-saber. It is an easy entry into armored lightsaber combat since the startup costs are low. Look up more info in my signature, or send a message.

https://www.facebook.com/events/2272648462947631/

https://www.lightspeed-saber.com/news/2019/2/13/lets-hangout

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: