Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
Author Topic: SW: Clone Wars—Thoughts?  (Read 13446 times)
scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2019, 04:32:23 AM »

Lucky. I'd like to get them all on Blu-Ray sometime just so I can have them.

Luck has nothing to do with it, I paid for them. Wink

The first five seasons are actually a European box set I bought on Amazon. Fortunately, I play them on my PS4 or XBOX One, which are region free. Smiley

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2019, 05:21:06 AM »

I pay homage to what the first two seasons offered but going fwd ... damn sweet. Don't buy into any hype though, SD, search your feelings as things progress and you'll know for yourself how good it'll get.

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

StoryDtechtive
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 91

Light always casts shadow/Darkness defines light!

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2019, 10:03:54 AM »

I pay homage to what the first two seasons offered but going fwd ... damn sweet. Don't buy into any hype though, SD, search your feelings as things progress and you'll know for yourself how good it'll get.

I usual do my own take on these things—didn’t become a story detective for nothing...LOL! But in spite of the technical precision being right or wrong, I always learn from things, good stories and bad. Then there’s plain old nostalgia. Which is something we all have that dictates certain likes and personal tastes. And on that score, we can all agree, or agree to disagree. Because it’s hard to strike a personal chord for everyone. I do like to hear why things work or don’t work for people. As a creator, there’s things to learn from that as well. Something current movie makers and corporate entities have forgotten.

I’m glad to hear the series build on the period and characters, and that it gets better. I’m not minding season 1. There are some interesting moments.  Not all of them masterful or sophisticated. I can see the family friendly label getting in the way of certain stories being better, but I expected that. In fact, that’s the main reason I haven’t watched it before now. I figured it would be nice little SW tales with zero impact or importance to the SW universe as a whole. When I went through the descriptions on Netflix and decided to watch a couple of episodes, I saw there was a bit of continuity and decided to take the plunge.

Ashoka is a character I began to like within a few episodes, actually. I could see a bit of a feisty, sassy attitude that on some levels paralleled Anakin. And that made me curious as to where things might progress between the two. I also figured the fact that many saber companies have a version of her lightsaber meant her character did go to some place interesting or she wouldn’t hold any kind of popularity. 1+1 for us story detectives. So right away I was intrigued to find out more Smiley

Saber Arsenal:
$75 MB: Liberator GB Stunt Saber
Electrum Wind FO Lite Sound
Chosen One SE BR Lite Sound (Forthcoming)
$75 MB: ? (Forthcoming)
Grab bag saber: ? Fall Raffle 2018 4th prize (Forthcoming)

Most Wanted: Graflex CE, Chosen One CE, Prophecy, Archon 3.1 That would be a good start Smiley

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2019, 07:00:04 PM »

I usual do my own take on these things—didn’t become a story detective for nothing...LOL! But in spite of the technical precision being right or wrong, I always learn from things, good stories and bad. Then there’s plain old nostalgia. Which is something we all have that dictates certain likes and personal tastes. And on that score, we can all agree, or agree to disagree. Because it’s hard to strike a personal chord for everyone. I do like to hear why things work or don’t work for people. As a creator, there’s things to learn from that as well. Something current movie makers and corporate entities have forgotten.

I’m glad to hear the series build on the period and characters, and that it gets better. I’m not minding season 1. There are some interesting moments.  Not all of them masterful or sophisticated. I can see the family friendly label getting in the way of certain stories being better, but I expected that. In fact, that’s the main reason I haven’t watched it before now. I figured it would be nice little SW tales with zero impact or importance to the SW universe as a whole. When I went through the descriptions on Netflix and decided to watch a couple of episodes, I saw there was a bit of continuity and decided to take the plunge.

Ashoka is a character I began to like within a few episodes, actually. I could see a bit of a feisty, sassy attitude that on some levels paralleled Anakin. And that made me curious as to where things might progress between the two. I also figured the fact that many saber companies have a version of her lightsaber meant her character did go to some place interesting or she wouldn’t hold any kind of popularity. 1+1 for us story detectives. So right away I was intrigued to find out more Smiley

Ahsoka is one of the greatest examples of introducing a new character organically and having her grow.  The fact she is now on the level of the OT characters in terms of popularity is a testament to that.  Many thought as you did, that the Clone Wars had no impact, but it really fleshed things out and gave us the Anakin we should have seen more of in the prequels...a kind hearted young man who was willing to do what it takes to save people.  It also really showcases his and Obi-Wan's relationship and how much like Brothers they were.  Its not a perfect series by any means but it is perfect in its intention.  To flesh out Anakin's descent into Darkness.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

StoryDtechtive
Knight Commander

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2019, 07:13:42 PM »

Ahsoka is one of the greatest examples of introducing a new character organically and having her grow.  The fact she is now on the level of the OT characters in terms of popularity is a testament to that.  Many thought as you did, that the Clone Wars had no impact, but it really fleshed things out and gave us the Anakin we should have seen more of in the prequels...a kind hearted young man who was willing to do what it takes to save people.  It also really showcases his and Obi-Wan's relationship and how much like Brothers they were.  Its not a perfect series by any means but it is perfect in its intention.  To flesh out Anakin's descent into Darkness.

And that descent is really the heart of Star Wars. And something I wanted to see more of. I believe there are many stories to be told on that score. And if Disney wants to produce SW stories, I really hope it is something they approach in the future to expand on the franchise. Considering the popularity of the Vader comic you mentioned, and the recent Vader fan film getting such a huge amount of views...it’s something I believe should be pursued. And hire the guy who made that fan film, cultivate his skills and ideas.

Saber Arsenal:

Most Wanted: Graflex CE, Chosen One CE, Prophecy, Archon 3.1 That would be a good start Smiley

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2019, 03:25:40 PM »

Extremely deep.

And thanks for the update, guys. Glad they’ll be making more. Because so far this is a welcome addition to the prequel storyline and fleshes things out rather well Smiley

Haz...I’m not even finished with season one, but from what I have gleaned of the storyline, I can see those spoilers, especially Asoka. Wasn’t there a line in one of the films that mentioned Anakin losing his Padawan? But joining the clones looks VERY interesting indeed! Looking forward.
Then you're going to be very disappointed. At least until later seasons, but don't get your hopes up too high. The show is first and foremost developed for kids, so the bad guys are easily out smarted and ridiculously ruthless. And far too much time is wasted on after-school-special type life lessons than actual story development. After my first viewing, I gave the series a solid C+.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

StoryDtechtive
Knight Commander

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2019, 11:16:00 AM »

Then you're going to be very disappointed. At least until later seasons, but don't get your hopes up too high. The show is first and foremost developed for kids, so the bad guys are easily out smarted and ridiculously ruthless. And far too much time is wasted on after-school-special type life lessons than actual story development. After my first viewing, I gave the series a solid C+.

I feel you will likely be on the money, and my hopes are not raised all that high. I’m right at the end of season 1, and while the SW fan in me has enjoyed certain moments—like seeing Mace Windu in action in ep. 21. The bridge scene was nicely done. And I can see those life lessons. Not that this is a bad thing. Morals can sometimes be lacking in entertainment aimed at kids.

So I’m pretty much viewing with two sets of eyes, the SW fan who wants to see more of these characters and enjoys the moments where they shine, and the more critical thinker who is is hoping I’ll see some good things, but not holding my breath for perfection. Nothing is perfect, unless it’s perfectly wrong. Or so an editor told me just before he shot me down when I was seventeen years old and trying to be a perfectionist Smiley

Saber Arsenal:

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2019, 06:42:43 PM »

I feel you will likely be on the money, and my hopes are not raised all that high. I’m right at the end of season 1, and while the SW fan in me has enjoyed certain moments—like seeing Mace Windu in action in ep. 21. The bridge scene was nicely done. And I can see those life lessons. Not that this is a bad thing. Morals can sometimes be lacking in entertainment aimed at kids.

So I’m pretty much viewing with two sets of eyes, the SW fan who wants to see more of these characters and enjoys the moments where they shine, and the more critical thinker who is is hoping I’ll see some good things, but not holding my breath for perfection. Nothing is perfect, unless it’s perfectly wrong. Or so an editor told me just before he shot me down when I was seventeen years old and trying to be a perfectionist Smiley

Season 2 has some great moments imo.  Particularly a scene involving Anakin.  Not going to spoil anything

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2019, 09:58:02 PM »

Season 2 has some great moments imo.  Particularly a scene involving Anakin.  Not going to spoil anything
The.....interigation?   ô¿ô

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2019, 10:44:13 PM »

The.....interigation?   ô¿ô

Aye

StoryDtechtive
Knight Commander

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2019, 11:01:01 PM »

Sounds intriguing. I’ll be there soon!

Saber Arsenal:

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2019, 11:36:20 PM »

I usual do my own take on these things—didn’t become a story detective for nothing...LOL!

Cheeky ... ha  Grin

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

StoryDtechtive
Knight Commander

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2019, 01:26:51 AM »

Cheeky ... ha  Grin

Only on ocassion Cheesy

Saber Arsenal:

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2019, 01:29:14 PM »

Aye
Yeah.........that was one of very few things done great.

Sig by For Tyeth

StoryDtechtive
Knight Commander

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2019, 08:31:11 AM »

One thing...maybe a picky thing. The lightsabers. Within TCW universe they seem to be consistent, but not all are exactly like the movies. Mace Windu’s saber is the most obviously different. Unless there’s something in the books, games, or comics, which states his saber changed, or was a work in progress. This change is good for the saber makers. It really does look more like the US hilt, except for the emitter. It is a much longer hilt than the movies, but looks quite different proportionately.

On that score, the picky score...back when I was working on the comics, the prequel trilogy wasn’t finished, episode 1 hadn’t even hit the theaters when I worked on the first series. So granted, the creators were not altogether familiar with the sabers. And even when reference was given, some artists would make mistakes, giving the character the wrong saber, or getting the details wrong. In which case, the editor would be faxing me the correct photos and I would redraw the saber to make sure it was correct.

This type of attention to detail and continuity was something which deepened my appreciation of Star Wars. But if they’re just going to allow folks to take those liberties, it kinda says things have gotten too big and they’ve lost control. Unfortunately, it is an inherent flaw in big corporate entities to feel such things are not cost effective. If there’s another explanation here, please let me know.

Saber Arsenal:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: