Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Any Experience Making Your Own Cloaks?  (Read 993 times)
ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« on: January 27, 2019, 01:23:17 AM »

Long story short, I have a bunch of clothes I should be able to cobble together into a sort of Sith or Dark Jedi costume, just need the right accessories and lightsaber.

I was thinking of saving a bit of money by making my own cloak, or possibly a hooded cape, as it doesn't seem like it would be too hard. Follow a Jedi cloak pattern(of which there are many online) and use black fabric. My questions are:

A) Is it really as easy as it seems? I don't have access to a sewing machine, so will need to hand sew.

B) Is it really that economical?

C) What fabrics are good for this? Wool? Cotton? Polyester blend stuff? Clothing weight? Blanket weight?

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 08:04:55 PM »

I had one made from a blanket with an angled stitch to create a hood many many moons ago.
Only complaint was that it was heavy.
Doubled as a summer-weight sleeping bag, though

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 09:55:25 AM »

I got a hooded cape for the last con I went to.  Easier to move around, and cooler (thermally).

I'd perhaps avoid wool or cotton for that very reason.  They'd be hot as heck.

The only thing about a cape, is ensuring that you have a good, strong clasp, since it won't stay on like a cloak.  They "flow" - like capes are want to do. Wink

Otherwise the sewing shouldn't be too hard.  By hand might up the difficulty though...

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 10:47:04 AM »

I had one made from a blanket with an angled stitch to create a hood many many moons ago.
Only complaint was that it was heavy.
Doubled as a summer-weight sleeping bag, though

Sounds great for a winter cloak, especially if you're trooping outdoors!

I got a hooded cape for the last con I went to.  Easier to move around, and cooler (thermally).

I'd perhaps avoid wool or cotton for that very reason.  They'd be hot as heck.

The only thing about a cape, is ensuring that you have a good, strong clasp, since it won't stay on like a cloak.  They "flow" - like capes are want to do. Wink

Otherwise the sewing shouldn't be too hard.  By hand might up the difficulty though...

Wool would probably be more of a winter cloak, I agree. And yeah I'd imagine having to hand sew would throw a cramp into things, but still should be fine.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: