Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Author Topic: Building a Light Whip  (Read 11779 times)
Lady Revan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1055

I leave my alignment to Fate-whether Light or Dark

« on: January 28, 2019, 09:16:25 AM »

So I’ve started recently attempting the build my own light whip and so far it’s coming along pretty well Cheesy

I’m well aware that some of the”other guys” offer lightwhip plugs, but they’re really expensive and seemed relatively easy and much cheaper to make... plus I’m hoping to make it more durable and closer to the functionality of a real whip.

It's still in progress, but this is my start.

My Sabers: I'mma make a link eventually. list doesn't fit in sig any more Sad

Author of: Only Light Can Cast Shadow A pre-KotOR Fem!Revan Fic

Twisted Morality (Part III of "Only Light Can Cast Shadow")

I leave my alignment to fate--Light or Dark

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 11:09:19 AM »

A lightwhip?!  UGH!
Tongue

Very inventive LR. Smiley

Lookin' good (even if I don't like the concept). Tongue

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 04:06:46 PM »

A lightwhip?!  UGH!
Tongue

Very inventive LR. Smiley

Lookin' good (even if I don't like the concept). Tongue

What do you have against light whips? Tongue

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 04:07:53 PM »

Really cool, is that Fiber Optic?  I have some glow fiber optic ones that I'm playing around with

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 04:26:53 PM »

Really cool, is that Fiber Optic?  I have some glow fiber optic ones that I'm playing around with

It is, but most fiber optic options don't function well as a whip, so I'm working on how to bring back functionality as well.

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 04:30:43 PM »

It is, but most fiber optic options don't function well as a whip, so I'm working on how to bring back functionality as well.

The problem with them is that the light travels up to about 10ft at best since there isn't any type of material to aide the light travel any.  Plus, the FO isn't thick enough to add anything unless one was made like the UE blades

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 04:41:50 PM »

The problem with them is that the light travels up to about 10ft at best since there isn't any type of material to aide the light travel any.  Plus, the FO isn't thick enough to add anything unless one was made like the UE blades

That's not the problem at all, really.... 10 feet is too long for a practical whip (most are between 5 and 8 feet) and the cable you see there is 20 feet and the light is just fine by the end. Problem is getting the tapering correct and strengthening the cable so it doesn't break down with use. It's possible your fiber optic cable is just a poor quality. There's also the problem with the ones the "other guys" sell (is you check video stress test reviews) that they end up cracking and breaking down near the base and you have to gradually shorten them over time if you want to continue using them.

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1558

I Survive through the Force.

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2019, 05:04:26 PM »

That's not the problem at all, really.... 10 feet is too long for a practical whip (most are between 5 and 8 feet) and the cable you see there is 20 feet and the light is just fine by the end. Problem is getting the tapering correct and strengthening the cable so it doesn't break down with use. It's possible your fiber optic cable is just a poor quality. There's also the problem with the ones the "other guys" sell (is you check video stress test reviews) that they end up cracking and breaking down near the base and you have to gradually shorten them over time if you want to continue using them.

You could try cutting lengths of transparent heat shrink tubing and layering them so they form a stress relief at the blade plug (a bit like the stress relief spring found on electrical appliance plugs/cables) Apply the longest tube first, then gradually layer the shorter lengths to form a tapered sleeve, then threading the cable AND tubing through the hole in the blade plug and secure it.

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2019, 05:58:04 PM »

What do you have against light whips? Tongue
Well - being a science nerd makes actual lightsabers a bit tough to imagine, so I guess expecting light to act in that way, while still retaining a solid form, is just too much.

Plus, you could never "let it rest".  It could never touch the floor, or there'd be a hole...

I know, I know - stop sciencing everything...lol

To each his/her own.  Many people like them, and they do look cool.

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2019, 06:00:00 PM »

I wasn't saying that it was mine but in general from working with them.  I have a 10 footer than I cut down to 5.5 and it works great for me.  Was just saying the most common issues with them is all

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2019, 08:34:01 PM »

Looks like a very interesting project, LR

Afraid I have no advice on making it work, though

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2019, 08:38:39 PM »

You could try cutting lengths of transparent heat shrink tubing and layering them so they form a stress relief at the blade plug (a bit like the stress relief spring found on electrical appliance plugs/cables) Apply the longest tube first, then gradually layer the shorter lengths to form a tapered sleeve, then threading the cable AND tubing through the hole in the blade plug and secure it.

Best option I've seen so far involves "Gorilla Tape" which I'm currently hunting. I'm still trying to figure out an extension to taper the very end though without damaging the cable

Well - being a science nerd makes actual lightsabers a bit tough to imagine, so I guess expecting light to act in that way, while still retaining a solid form, is just too much.

Plus, you could never "let it rest".  It could never touch the floor, or there'd be a hole...

I know, I know - stop sciencing everything...lol

To each his/her own.  Many people like them, and they do look cool.

The beam of a light whip is much weaker than that of a light saber, so while charring and melting might occur, a hole in the ground at rest is unlikely. To each their own though Tongue

I wasn't saying that it was mine but in general from working with them.  I have a 10 footer than I cut down to 5.5 and it works great for me.  Was just saying the most common issues with them is all

5.5 plus hilt is much more reasonable in terms of whip length. I'm still baffled with your lighting issue comment though. Again, my cable is at 20 feet right now and that was just with me holding it over with my hand and not using anything to focus the light to the cable yet. Never seen/heard that issue personally.

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2019, 08:40:44 PM »

Looks like a very interesting project, LR

Afraid I have no advice on making it work, though

It's alright, Therion! ^_^ I think I've mostly figured it out. Only thing still eluding me is the tip of the whip.

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2019, 12:01:47 PM »

5.5 plus hilt is much more reasonable in terms of whip length. I'm still baffled with your lighting issue comment though. Again, my cable is at 20 feet right now and that was just with me holding it over with my hand and not using anything to focus the light to the cable yet. Never seen/heard that issue personally.

Again, I'm not commenting on the length of yours, I was speaking in general. Most of the other guys use 10ft as a default length anyways. It may not be your length but that's what others use currently. To each his own though Smiley

Golden Fedora
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 564

The Grey Prophet

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2019, 06:26:37 AM »

The beam of a light whip is much weaker than that of a light saber, so while charring and melting might occur, a hole in the ground at rest is unlikely. To each their own though Tongue

some book I read a while back said that the beams weren't light at all, but instead are electrified metal cables. (that's why they didn't cut Anakin's arms off in that Zygerria arc.

"Easy is the path to wisdom for those only not blinded by themselves."

-Broadside

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: