Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: The TRI-Cree vs Single LED thread.  (Read 5157 times)
ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« on: January 28, 2019, 09:04:44 AM »

I've seen some topics on this, but I figured it was a good idea to have one central topic, for ease of reference. I'm ordering a stunt in BR, but I'm not entirely sure if the TRI-Cree is actually worth it, especially in red. Even single LED red is quite bright, so it's possible we're dealing with the law of diminishing returns.

If you have any experience, with any color, in both a single diode and TRI-Cree setup, let us know here. If you'd like to post pictures or video so we can get a look at them side by side, that would be amazing!

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 09:04:48 PM »

Multiple LEDs will ALWAYS be brighter than just one.  That's purely strength in numbers...lol

I think I know what you mean though.  Sometimes less is more...

That said, my TRI red Warlord is just insanely bright.

I'm a huge proponent of FoC though, so I typically go for custom LEDs now.  Two main colour, and a flash. Tongue

I find that with some single LEDs, you run the risk of "dim" spots or "fade out" along the blade towards the tip.   Depends on the colour though. 

My Prophecy is a CG single, and it's pretty stinkin' bright.   Cool

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Samhain138
Dark Lord of the Menace Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2171

Aw, crap.

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 09:18:05 PM »

I’ve got some single red stunts.  They’re pretty much eclipsed by my tri cree Menace.  Eats a lot of power so I usually save that for premium setups.  Rechargeable betteries will be your friend.

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 09:26:22 PM »

I’ve got some single red stunts.  They’re pretty much eclipsed by my tri cree Menace.  Eats a lot of power so I usually save that for premium setups.  Rechargeable betteries will be your friend.

That's what I thought. I have a tri-FO, and a tri-BR module in another saber, but they both have sound, and so lithium setup. The FO is not all that bright, tri cree basically brings that in line with the other US colors, which is why I specifically ordered that setup. The BR actually kinda hurt to look at, which maybe I should factor in. Cheesy

(Sig by me!)

Samhain138
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Aw, crap.

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 09:35:53 PM »

Tri is on the left, a standard led is on the right.  Guardian blue is a pretty bright color regardless, but the tri cree is far more intense.

The tri red is on the left, standard led on the right.  Look at the range the light is cast from the tri cree red!

Malik Thanewulf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -488

Grey Jedi with MAJOR Sith-like tendencies

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 09:51:59 PM »

This really is super helpful. I have to get at least one saber with the try Cree set up.

My Collection: Monarch CE

Wish list:  maybe a Sword of Omens (not sure which color)

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2019, 12:03:03 AM »

Thanks for the pics, Sam! Point. That's very helpful. The red seems to be a less obvious difference, but I see what you mean with the "aura." It definitely seems brighter.

(Sig by me!)

Malik Thanewulf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -488

Grey Jedi with MAJOR Sith-like tendencies

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2019, 12:47:26 AM »

What about fire Orange and tri-cree fire Orange? Anyone with pictures of those 2 colors side by side? Last question, would the Pyreston Orange be just as bright? Again,  any help would be awesome. (pictures of the 3 colors side by side by side, would be helpful.

My Collection: Monarch CE

Wish list:  maybe a Sword of Omens (not sure which color)

Edon Bluewolf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1271

Light side points please

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2019, 04:33:17 AM »

Excellent side by side comparison pics Sam!

What about fire Orange and tri-cree fire Orange? Anyone with pictures of those 2 colors side by side?

Yes please I am very interested to see this

“Your focus determines your reality.” – Qui-Gon Jinn

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2019, 01:53:56 PM »

I'll need to get some pictures, but I have noticed that my Tri-Cree Arctic Blue is a bit more aqua colored than the single LED Arctic Blue, which comes across as a bright, icy light blue with little or no green color at all.  More like mixing blue and white...

The Tri-Cree AB is created by using two blue LEDs and a green LED in the trio.  I think the other is generated by using the white and blue LEDs in a quad?   That would fit the color profile I'm seeing.

Its kind of interesting, because the tri-cree AB is between SRD and "standard" AB, almost like a different color entirely.

I have an SRD, Tri-Cree AB and normal AB, I'll try to get them laid out next to each other and get a good photo.   Unfortunately one (the Tri-Cree AB) is on display in my office at the moment and the other two are here at home with me...   LOL

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Samhain138
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Aw, crap.

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2019, 04:09:42 AM »

I agree on tri AB being a different look than the standard AB.  It has a tinge more green to it.  I run it through a blue day blade and it's a really nice effect.

deevee2
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 110

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2019, 09:15:03 PM »

What I notice most is that tri-cree setups do a better job of lighting the entire length of the blade well, whereas single LED setups seem to not reach the end as well and taper off more noticeably.

Ultrasabers hilt builds:
  Archon 3.1 (RGBW, sound, activation box)
  Spectre (Neopixel, SmoothSwing, sound)
  Aeon LE v5 (RGBW, SmoothSwing, sound)
  Dominix LE v5 (RGBW, SmoothSwing, sound)

Ultrasabers empties:
  Chosen One, Graflex, 2x Dorinians, Savior, Raven, Consular

Hilt builds:
  Custom chassis, 18650 Li-Ion, bass speaker (2-4w), recharge port, 3rd party saber controller

Edon Bluewolf
Knight Commander

Light side points please

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2019, 05:26:39 AM »

Same as Karmack and Sam, I see the Tri-cree AB to be an aqua color, where just regular AB is a light blue.  Not too noticeable in pics but very clear in person.

Tri-cree AB

Regular AB

Both together in staff

Like I said not very noticeably different in pics but pretty obvious difference of more green in the Tri-cree version in person.

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2019, 06:20:21 PM »

What was described seems more like my stunt AB when the batteries start to get just a bit low. Then slowly tapers to a dim SRD.

Is it true that a regular stunt(AAA) setup won't actually see the benefits of the tri cree? Both mine are Lithium with sound, I'd be nervous that the AAA couldn't fully power the tri LED and the tri would also drain the batteries more quickly.

(Sig by me!)

Edon Bluewolf
Knight Commander

Light side points please

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2019, 02:43:21 AM »

I only got Tri-cree in AAA setups but they still are brighter than my regular single or blended colors with my Li-ion setups.  Also the batteries last longer than on my Emerald or Diamond, those two have the least battery life but again I got them programmed to be doing all sorts of color changes.  The Tri-crees with AAA's have about the same battery life as my Li-ions with single LED and V4 or V3 sound seems like.  My next saber is most likely going to be a stunt Tri-cree in AS with Li-ion and buck puck so I can see first hand the difference batteries and buck puck are supposed to make to increased brightness.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: